Forum › An Easy Introduction to Love Triangles (To Pass the Exam!) discussion

Ihstarresi
joined Jun 22, 2018

Can't wait for her to start dual-wielding lesbians.

This is going down as one of my favourite phrases

Mudou%20ayana
joined Oct 29, 2013

Kirin, I hope you are a girl, I like you.

Which tag should we add to this thread, yuri or het?

I hope shoujo-ai at least.

Damn, this manga makes me more hot than many hentai, don't know why.

Rsz_wa
joined Sep 5, 2019

akira's character is improving a lot recently, hope she pulls a 180 and becomes the fan favourite by the end

joined May 7, 2017

I've been looking forward to their dynamic, and it's amazing? That time leap though, I get suspicious when resolutions come too soon like that... can't see going too long.

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

[8] god i love this series so much. for a second there i thought rin was gonna go join in on the make out session... i absolutely cannot wait for the next chapter.

thanks for the hard work noca scans crew <3

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

(Ch 8)

Damn, this manga makes me more hot than many hentai, don't know why.

It absolutely is. Because it feels real, but just on the boundary because what’s happening is so spicy. It’s like taking the hottest moments of a real person’s life, and not just putting them all together but aligning them into a compelling narrative that gives stakes and context to everything that’s happening. The only thing that’s less than totally believable is how much good stuff is happening, and the story makes you want to believe.

The moment in this chapter where Rin is watching while Akira and Mayuki kiss, and Akira is embarrassed but also clearly super turned on, absolutely destroyed me. On top of the scene’s own merits, you can just see the triad dynamic beginning to take shape, the future promise of that the three-person scenario where you’re losing yourself in one partner while the other watches, voracious and hot-eyed, and you feel like you’re being devoured by the two people you want the most even while your comfortable mutual affection, and the knowledge that someone you trust is watching over you, fills you up.

Ahem.

You could say I’m excited to see how this develops.

As to the “why” question, like why is all this so good, I dropped a comment a chapter or two back explaining what I think about Canno’s portrayals of intimacy in this story. I’ll quote it here:

people are talking a lot about how the kisses in this story are really intense despite not involving anything explicitly sexual, etc.—if I had time I’d go close-read the passages and make a comment from that, but I don’t, so suffice it to say it’s because 1) each scene is really strongly grounded in an emotional context both through the background we have about the characters and immediate setup right before it, 2) the artist really understands the physical acts of making out, how it feels, how it happens, and what it looks like, and can accurately depict this and 3) they have a really solid understanding of desire, and especially different versions of giving desire (Rin’s “I can’t help my self, I need to spoil you” attitude during thr adult kissing scene, Mayuki putting everything into doing her best to please Akira) which is itself naturally compelling and emotionally resonant.
All this is to say that Canno creates scenarios that are emotionally charged and grounded, and depicts them in a very expressive, verisimilitudinous way. I think this story is uncommonly good, and I usually hold off judgements until I’ve read to the end but this is shaping up to be one of the best yuri manga out there, period.

I’d add, too, that none of the kisses trod old ground—like real life, they have are really meaningful and they develop the dynamic in new ways every time. Whether it’s Rin and Mayuki crossing that boundary the first time, or getting pulled deeper into whatever’s between them when Rin comforts her and ends up pressing her down, or Mayuki melting all of Akira’s pride along with her mind as she realizes she’s not the dominant one anymore, or here where Akira seems to realize she kind of likes it when Rin watches her kiss Mayuki, every time the kiss that happens is something that only could have happened in that moment and pushes their relationship into a new space. And because it’s written and paced so tightly, you can trust that the author knows exactly what (she?) is doing and just go along for the ride. It’s kind of intoxicating, isn’t it?

last edited at Nov 12, 2020 9:52PM

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

Here's what I hate about polyamory right? Yes we all are capable of loving multiple people. Very, very much, almost equally so. But it's like why not just choose one to focus your energies with? You like that person well enough right? Just pick one that you care for to work on a relationship with. You have to do the same thing with a career path basically

These kids are what, in high school? Your energy for things energy reduces significantly as you age. One relationship is draining enough let alone two.

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

Here's what I hate about polyamory right? Yes we all are capable of loving multiple people. Very, very much, almost equally so. But it's like why not just choose one to focus your energies with? You like that person well enough right? Just pick one that you care for to work on a relationship with. You have to do the same thing with a career path basically

These kids are what, in high school? Your energy for things energy reduces significantly as you age. One relationship is draining enough let alone two.

What's draining for you might not be for others. I know my relationship is the opposite of draining. It also depends on the dynamics of the people involved.

Also, you're being pretty casual about hurting at least one party involved in all of this and that feels extra cruel in a situation where everyone's amenable to poly.

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

Here's what I hate about polyamory right?

You can’t be for real right now.

Yes, it can and does work out. You’re coming in here with that “well I don’t like women, so lesbian relationships must be really fragile,” type of bullshit? Did you consider that maybe other people have different experiences and needs other than your own before you brought out the arrogant, ignorant, “the way these other people find love, care, and community in non-traditional ways seems kind of shitty ngl” bit like you know all the ways humans can care for each other? Maybe you think it’s unrealistic—but that’s not exactly news to the many, many poly people who are out there making this “unrealistic” scenario work, who constantly hear dumb-ass unsolicited opinions like this one from strangers with no skin in the game.

Did you think this would productively contribute to the discussion? Is there no better place you could vent your disapproval than a forum for a comic that I know has drawn poly people? Like, maybe you could bring it to that partner of yours. “Man, baby, I can’t believe other people are out there in relationships that look different from ours. I can’t imagine myself being in a relationship like that, so nobody else should do it either.” That’s what you, an “adult,” sound like.

I’m not even gonna humor the position that poly relationships taking work is a reason to say they’re wack. I don’t have to because we’ve got evidence against that which you’re apparently just not interested in looking for.

Disgraceful.

last edited at Nov 12, 2020 11:45PM

joined Jun 3, 2020

Am I the only one who thinks this series needs a "Lots of Kissing" tag by now?

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Did you think this would productively contribute to the discussion?

Tbf both fo your contributions didn't exactly contribute that much.

who constantly hear dumb-ass unsolicited opinions like this one from strangers with no skin in the game.

Hey now, just because you don't use skins doesn't mean you don't know anything. That's a rude way to judge peoples.

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

bruh relationships aren't supposed to be draining, they are supposed to be fulfilling, het detected.

joined Jul 26, 2016

That's a lot of weird teleology in one post.

One might also suspect a degree of projection.

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

bruh relationships aren't supposed to be draining, they are supposed to be fulfilling, het detected.

To be fair, poly relationships take a lot of effort, and they’re not for everyone. But if they are for you, they’re worth it.

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

You don’t think an analysis of why the story works contributes anything to the discussion about that story? I’m sorry, it seems I didn’t get the memo; should I start making constant deprecating comments about the manga’s quality or prospects which contain absolutely no discussion about what the work does wrong or why it fails to resonate? When someone disagrees with me, shall I immediately retreat to the old “everything’s subjective” non-argument? Perhaps sprinkle in some high-handed “you’re a meanie!” spice so people know I mean business? Ooh, and maybe if I’m feeling bold, I’ll push all responsibility for my actions onto others; that way, if multiple people get frustrated at me, I can easily justify to myself that it’s not because I’m being an obnoxious, smug gadfly, it’s because they’re fragile people for getting annoyed!

You know, on second thought, that doesn’t sound very fun.

9a98d8a7-869e-4e25-947d-59f469d10a1d
joined Feb 22, 2019

On a brighter note, this story is really good and I can’t wait for the next chapter! Rin already knows the answer to the problem, but the other two are going to take a while to figure out what poly is I feel like.

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

Also, you're being pretty casual about hurting at least one party involved in all of this and that feels extra cruel in a situation where everyone's amenable to poly.

I don't get what you mean. There's plenty of unrequited love out there, and it's cruel. Life is often cruel. For Rin's case, she had two people that requited her love. That's extremely lucky. Giving one of the relationships a shot might not be so bad. As far as just wanting to be friends with both of them, but one of them says they couldn't, that's just how it goes.

Furthermore, because Rin is polyamory and a lot of people aren't, the people who she can't fully love end up getting hurt. Mostly because, like at the very beginning of this manga, It's hard for some people to share the person they love most with someone else.

Lilliwyt
November 12, 2020 10:53PM

Did you think this would productively contribute to the discussion?

who constantly hear dumb-ass unsolicited opinions like this one from strangers with no skin in the game.

Hey now, just because you don't use skins doesn't mean you don't know anything. That's a rude way to judge peoples.

^Agree with everything said here. Yes about my comment too. Also who said I wanted a discussion about my opinion? I just wanted to state it.

As far as what linter is saying, I am surprised anyone read it. I'm not going to. A big block of text, especially when you skim it and you see that they're triggered and calling people names, is "not very fun" to read, to use linter's small amount of text I read.

Well you would be incorrect because I am not heterosexual. I am queer. Unfortunately, a lot of my relationships so far have been heterosexual even though I've not wanted them to be. Some of us aren't so lucky.

Some of us are fat, and have a hard time even just getting along with people casually socially, so getting along with someone romantically is something I'm working on. Let alone having just what, 3.5% of the human population of women in America to choose from? At least I think I've heard that 7% of the US population is gay. I'm guessing half of that percent is gay men. Haven't looked it up.

Hate was a strong word. My bad. It's actually just what I don't understand about a polyamory relationships. And no, it's not how I feel just cuz everybody got mad at me saying hate. I'm sure none of you will believe me, but nothing I can do about that.

Some other comments were saying I was projecting that relationships are draining. You could be right about that.

I'm not going to say anyone's opinion is wrong. It's completely fine to me that you have an opinion. I'm sorry I triggered you or made you blow up or whatever.

However, I'm not going to pretend that reading some of the comments wasn't hurtful either. It does hurt to get gained up on just because your opinion may not be the most socially acceptable one. We are all in different places of understanding. I'm not saying this for an apology, I'm just stating that how some of the words made me feel.

(Note: you can probably not read this section. It's a self-indulgent anecdote elaborating on the last paragraph's point.)

I went to a local LGBT support group. It was a place to share our feelings about being gay. I shared my feelings about being gay and that I have a hard time liking and accepting myself for it. I would rather be heterosexual just because it would make life a little bit easier on me, especially growing up in a staunch Christian household.

Somehow, apparently, it's a threat to other people that I feel that way about being gay. It's like they're saying that I'm saying that it's wrong for other people to accept their gayness. I'm not, and the only reason I shared is because I was hoping I wasn't alone in feeling this way, but I guess I am. Apparently we're all just supposed to be extremely happy that we're gay and completely accepting of it. And if you think differently when you're among other LGBT, you better just keep it to yourself.

I'm anonymous and on the internet though so I'm going to say what I am going to say. Because sometimes it just sucks to keep it to yourself whether people like to hear it or not.

If you still think I'm a piece of shit, fine. I would probably agree with you. Yeah it sucks for me and for everyone around me. But it's not easy to change. I'm working on it.

Maybe there's a way to block me so you never have to see what I have to say ever again?

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

I like Lemons

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

I like Lemons

But not limes somehow

F0c1c7ea6c0d24b021d03256f2c658f6
joined Oct 9, 2019

Haha polyamory goes brrrrrrr

Mostly%20sunny
joined Oct 26, 2016

A triangle is at its strongest only when all sides are loaded and supported evenly. The shape is strong and resilient, but must stand true.

joined Feb 18, 2015

Gotta love bad math and polyamory puns!

joined Jul 26, 2016

I'm kinda amused by how utterly Akira fails at being a soap-opera villain and basically gives up on it before even getting started. Girl can't even steel herself to "be cruel to be kind" lel

joined Dec 17, 2018

I like Lemons

But not limes somehow

Same

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

Hate was a strong word. My bad. It's actually just what I don't understand about a polyamory relationships.

I believe you.

And coming at it from this angle means things vis a vis polyamory can be addressed, so I’ll do that if you’d like to read. No claws this time, either.

I don't get what you mean. There's plenty of unrequited love out there, and it's cruel. Life is often cruel.

Life is cruel, no doubt; but I don’t see how that has bearing on whether it’s cruel to go into a place where there’s for sure poly people to say, “I hate polyamory.” You’re queer—I’m sure you know what that feels like, for others to see stuff like that in a place they might want to believe would be safe. It seems you recognize this was... indelicately put, though, so yeah.

Furthermore, because Rin is polyamory and a lot of people aren't, the people who she can't fully love end up getting hurt.

I mean you could say this of gay, ace, or trans people as well—are we responsible for the pain of those that wish we were different than we are? Am I to blame when a man gets angry because I don’t like men, so I can’t be with him the way he wants? It’s true that someone when someone is poly in a world that doesn’t have room or understanding for that, there will be pain. But that isn’t the responsibility of the poly person.

Furthermore—she did fully love both of them. That’s the thing with poly; you can love multiple people fully, in different ways. Just like how you have friends for different reasons, you might have different loves, but having multiple friends doesn’t mean you like a given friend any less—it might even mean that you get to have some needs met elsewhere, and spend more time in the core of what makes that relationship enjoyable to y’all.

If you approach it with mono frameworks, which say (for example) that wanting other people while in a relationship means you don’t love your partner enough, it’s hard to grasp how poly relationships actually work. This is a little like when straight people say, “who’s the man?”—it’s a perfectly reasonable question from a certain point of view, but it misses the point of how queer and het relationships are different.

So, going back to the text, the problem was that she couldn’t choose between them, because she loved both of them. They wanted mono love, and she doesn’t love like that. How would you choose between two people you loved dearly, like two children, two members of your found family? Would you press someone you cared about to make such a choice? I think what we’re seeing here is A) a clash between the needs of a poly person and someone who is not okay with being in a poly relationship, and B) poor communication and consideration from the friend—which, sometimes it be like that when you’re in highschool.

I also noticed a language of probability or luckiness in your discussion of poly and if Rin’s situation, which I’ll address in a second.

Before I get into that, though—I don’t want to mix personal stuff with what I intend to be an even-keeled discussion of polyamory. So all I’ll say is, if where you’re at now is wishing you were heterosexual, I’m sorry if anybody made you feel like that was a bad thing. Your feelings on that are valid and deserve space, esp. from a support group. I’ve been somewhere similar, and it was fucking rough; I hope you can get to a place where that’s no longer the headspace that it makes sense for you to be in, but I also know that sometimes, that’s where it makes sense for you to be. And, I want you to know that some members of my found family are fat and queer and poly, and they are finding their joy, even though things are rough sometimes; there is a space for all those things in this world. However you are, there is hope and kindness out there, and a time where safety is not so pressing and you can put joy and healing first.

So, back to the issue of luck. I can see there’s a logic from which Rin might seem entitled, having two women that love her and not choosing either of them. Could she not settle for one of them?

I think there’s multiple tacks here. The one that immediately presents itself to me is that settling for a relationship is often a doomed scenario, and doubly so if you’re settling because there’s a part of you that person rejects. For her to go along with this person that she cares about, but not have access to her full orientation—and likely to be constantly fed a jealous person’s perspective on her needs, that would be really painful. I also don’t think things can be reduced to an equation of, “choose one and have one, or neither and have one.” Choosing her friend under the tree means actively rejecting her other friend—I don’t think she’s willing to do that part of the choice, because she loves both of them.

Basically, I think that scenario was never going to work out in a way that was okay for Rin. She was in a double bind, so to speak; her friends weren’t honest with her about their intentions for literally years, pretending to be friendly with one another while always hoping she’d choose one over the other, until at the end she’s the one stuck holding the bag, and they’ve removed opportunity for communication. That’s kind of fucked up.

Rin of course has the advantages of being thin, cis, and conventionally attractive, and so might not have to consider the logic of “is this the last time someone will be interested in me” like some of us do. But I think she made the best choice for herself in this scenario. I think even a scenario where she deals with the fallout of this relationship without falling in love again or having people that want to get with her would be a happier read than watching her suffer more in that relationship, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I hope this leaves you (or whoever’s reading) better able to understand poly relationships.

last edited at Nov 13, 2020 1:06PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.