Forum › It's Tough Being Neeko discussion

Nodoyue_avatar1
joined Aug 7, 2017

Am I the only one who's elated at Imoko bursting out in uncharacteristic anger at the dude who was trying to flirt with the two without caring that one of them is injured in the last page?

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

Am I the only one who's elated at Imoko bursting out in uncharacteristic anger at the dude who was trying to flirt with the two without caring that one of them is injured in the last page?

I also loved how she destroyed him

Birdi
joined Sep 19, 2014

Neeko need to take her sister first time already...or the opposed

joined Sep 13, 2018

another chapter that kind of hit me , i too wanted to enjoy something i couldnt enjoy anymore but failed to do so.
In my country ,every christmas people often do fireworks and its a big event for kids to play with those but i couldnt stand the noise and had to use headphone all the time. I wanted to use the fireworks and taking away my headphone in christmas 2016 but in the end i couldnt do it and had to lock myself down in my room for the whole night , never did christmas again after that.

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

its kinda cute how codependent neeko and imoko are

Budokan2
joined Jan 13, 2015

I ship Neeko X proper mental health care more than I ship most couples on this site. Poor girl, she's suffering so much.

Neeko is struggling, but she's actually doing pretty well all things considered. going out at all when you are depressed is extremely difficult, and should be seen as a victory, even if it ended in a less than ideal way. it's progress.

Truu. One step forward no matter how small is still a step forward.

C6ecb18a42241236b33d8a43252bfaf1
joined Apr 30, 2020

I know Neeko's friend means well but that message gave her physical pain. Same for Imoko's casual and rather blunt lines.

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

As much as Neeko's still having a hard time, things generally seem better!

I'm basing this on whether or not a chapter sends me down an ideation spiral or not, and it's been a good while.

Also I don't think Neeko x Imoko is gonna happen, but Neeko x Uri...

last edited at Jul 29, 2020 1:21AM

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

Every time I see a new chapter, I read the title of the manga out in my head, and then I respond to that in my head by saying: It IS tough being Neeko.

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/its_tough_being_neeko_ch25#18
squeeing intensifies
Art is on point as usual
Neeko is getting better at getting back out there (bless you Imoko) maybe soon she will build more self esteem and confidence in herself and not get too disheartened by her current neet lifestyle (I think she's pretty harsh on herself about it but, it happens.... Im in the same boat, but no longer suffer much anxiety or depression so I'm pretty lucky)

last edited at Jul 30, 2020 2:54AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

This manga is just a string of Neeko's humilations. And it looks like it's going to go on and on, until she somehow finds a job and joins the norm. Then it'll be over.

It's not fun at all.

last edited at Jul 29, 2020 2:40PM

Birdi
joined Sep 19, 2014

Neeko only need her sister

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Nobody's ever gonna make me believe that this girl will ever have money problems.

Lovelivealpaca
joined Feb 2, 2013

Imoko is too brutal

Nodoyue_avatar1
joined Aug 7, 2017

... Who's "U-yan"?

38611606_p02
joined Feb 17, 2019

Nobody's ever gonna make me believe that this girl will ever have money problems.

Well, she has a spoiling dad and a siscon little sister with a good job-
Now, if Uri-chan can get a job too...

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

Okay. I know this is meant as a joke, but it's not very funny.

Very little about this manga is genuinely funny, actually. Not for someone who suffers similarly, at least.

I hate that I relate so closely to her, it's painful. The more I read this, the more I wonder how much longer it'll be before she starts contemplating suicide. Every time she does something good, it comes crashing down at the end. Yes, she went out to a festival. That's great, getting out of the house is great. Then she got separated from her sister, and, upon reuniting with her, was humiliated. It's not just about making steps forward, because there's steps back as well, and those always feel more significant.

I've suffered like her for so very long, and after a long enough time it becomes impossible to remember what it was like when I didn't feel this horrible, and impossible to imagine a future where it isn't this way.

I'm not sure how many people here are like me, it seems like there's at least a handful of others with similar experiences. But when you've suffered so greatly for so long, you start to believe that it's normal. I was speaking with a doctor recently for a brief medical history interview (because I moved and have to get all that shit sorted out) and when I was asked about depression, my sentence ended with something along the lines of "but that's life, right?" and when she responded with "It doesn't have to be." I was overwhelmed. I had genuinely come to believe that I was going to feel like the worst piece of shit on earth for the rest of my life, and that was what was proper and meant to be. Even now I find it hard to believe I'll ever feel better, but I try to remember what she said to give myself some hope.

I'm 29, and the past 15 or so years of my life have been spent trying to find a way to allow me to feel normal. I've tried medication after medication, but nothing seems to work well enough to get me out of the downward spiral I've been in over those 15 years. After a long enough time of getting worse, you stop believing it can get better. It doesn't matter what merits you might have, or what other people see in you. It doesn't matter if you're smart or attractive or anything else someone might want.

The worst part of it all is that it's incredibly difficult to get other people to understand. When you feel suicidal, you don't want to tell anyone because you're scared of how they'll react. And if you do tell someone, your fears are realized, because nobody expects someone to want to be dead. I can't even begin to describe what it's like to go from admitting to someone you love that you're having suicidal thoughts, to having to do damage control for telling them that. It's the worst. You've told someone that you need help, but instead you have to help them not worry about it? It's a catch 22. If you admit to how bad you feel, you make other people feel bad.

I apologize for the giant post, and the likely incoherent rambling. I needed to get that off my chest, and hopefully it will help at least one person who doesn't get it better understand what it's like to be like Neeko. I know I shouldn't read this if it makes me unhappy, but there aren't a lot of places that you can see people like yourself when you have mental health problems, because nobody wants to think about them (and I can't blame anyone for that, I wish I had no reason to think about them either).

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

sushiknight, neeko tends to bring out two different types of people:

1. people who relate to neeko and enjoy the story
2. people who were pulled in by the ecchi bait

the mangadex comments are really rough, and i got into it with some of them over there. =_=

i relate to your story quite a bit. feel free to send me a DM on discord if you ever need to talk. you can find me if you are in the Dynasty Scans server. <3 /hug

joined Sep 13, 2018

"I know I shouldn't read this if it makes me unhappy,"
you should have stepped away from this by chapter 6 and the warning about it if you have depression problems , it would make you feel worse instead of helping you.

still i kind of dont get it, i have Schizophrenia , born a mistake and hated by my parent since the moment i was born , being bullying from the day i started school to the day i got the diploma. Almost every single childhood friend is dead or in jail , last one died by corona virus being the 2nd death in my country at the start of the quarantine.
Jobless since im going even more crazy as time pass by and cant work as a normal human being anymore it seems.

Still im not depressed and only get laughs with this series , "being neeko is freaking suffering" but i think its bond to end with her as a streamer and succeding in life like most of this kind of manga does.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Very little about this manga is genuinely funny, actually. Not for someone who suffers similarly, at least.

I am only continuing to read it because I hope, against all hopes, for a healing conclusion for Neeko, even though it will most likely end with "and then Neeko got a job as an OL, got married with kids, and lived happily ever after" a.k.a. the way that the normative Japanese culture expects women to "grow up". :-/

last edited at Jul 30, 2020 10:52AM

Rsz_1screenshot_7
joined Aug 23, 2015

i no longer like her sister

Skulltroop_far_wht
joined Jun 3, 2018

Maybe Imoko knows exactly what she is doing, and the way she tries to paint her sister as a worthless neet is a way to ward off potential competitors? ;)

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

This manga is just a string of Neeko's humilations. And it looks like it's going to go on and on, until she somehow finds a job and joins the norm. Then it'll be over.

It's not fun at all.

I mean life isn't fun at all so... life imitating art and vice versa and all that.

I hate that I relate so closely to her, it's painful. The more I read this, the more I wonder how much longer it'll be before she starts contemplating suicide. Every time she does something good, it comes crashing down at the end. Yes, she went out to a festival. That's great, getting out of the house is great. Then she got separated from her sister, and, upon reuniting with her, was humiliated. It's not just about making steps forward, because there's steps back as well, and those always feel more significant.

I've suffered like her for so very long, and after a long enough time it becomes impossible to remember what it was like when I didn't feel this horrible, and impossible to imagine a future where it isn't this way.

I'm not sure how many people here are like me, it seems like there's at least a handful of others with similar experiences. But when you've suffered so greatly for so long, you start to believe that it's normal. I was speaking with a doctor recently for a brief medical history interview (because I moved and have to get all that shit sorted out) and when I was asked about depression, my sentence ended with something along the lines of "but that's life, right?" and when she responded with "It doesn't have to be." I was overwhelmed. I had genuinely come to believe that I was going to feel like the worst piece of shit on earth for the rest of my life, and that was what was proper and meant to be. Even now I find it hard to believe I'll ever feel better, but I try to remember what she said to give myself some hope.

I'm 29, and the past 15 or so years of my life have been spent trying to find a way to allow me to feel normal. I've tried medication after medication, but nothing seems to work well enough to get me out of the downward spiral I've been in over those 15 years. After a long enough time of getting worse, you stop believing it can get better. It doesn't matter what merits you might have, or what other people see in you. It doesn't matter if you're smart or attractive or anything else someone might want.

The worst part of it all is that it's incredibly difficult to get other people to understand. When you feel suicidal, you don't want to tell anyone because you're scared of how they'll react. And if you do tell someone, your fears are realized, because nobody expects someone to want to be dead. I can't even begin to describe what it's like to go from admitting to someone you love that you're having suicidal thoughts, to having to do damage control for telling them that. It's the worst. You've told someone that you need help, but instead you have to help them not worry about it? It's a catch 22. If you admit to how bad you feel, you make other people feel bad.

I apologize for the giant post, and the likely incoherent rambling. I needed to get that off my chest, and hopefully it will help at least one person who doesn't get it better understand what it's like to be like Neeko. I know I shouldn't read this if it makes me unhappy, but there aren't a lot of places that you can see people like yourself when you have mental health problems, because nobody wants to think about them (and I can't blame anyone for that, I wish I had no reason to think about them either).

Thanks for sharing SushiKnight. I'm similar and am 30. Only reason I'm not suicidal is because of a near-death experience book that I've read, and just like... people don't really know how to react to you wanting to die so... I dunno. I'm slowly going insane with loneliness. Not sure when enough will be enough.

I've had some upward spirals over the last 15 years, but my endeavors fail and I just get more and more heart broken.

last edited at Aug 1, 2020 3:28AM

Tfwubestgirl
joined Aug 16, 2015

It's not just about making steps forward, because there's steps back as well, and those always feel more significant.

Only if you let them.

I know that sounds arrogant of me to say, but I only say it because I spent around half of my current life with that exact mindset.

"What's the point in trying when everything just turns out shitty anyways?"

"Why live when there's so much more bad than good?"

I grappled with questions like these for so long, and it eventually got to a point where I fantasized about ending my life in various ways on a daily basis for several years straight.

"Why not just end it now if I'm going to spend my entire life suffering and then die anyways?"

I would get so frustrated with myself that I was too incapable to go through with my fantasies... There's no cure-all approach that will work for everyone, obviously, but a concept that really helped me reach a healthier mindset was the idea that pain isn't this terrible thing that must be avoided at all costs to live a "happy" life. People can live through pain and grow from it, but only if they give themselves a chance. And yeah, that's easier said than done, and I don't know what you've been through before, but I know that both you and I have gone through some shit, and we're still standing here. There came a point where I just realized, "Hey, I can survive the torture of my own mind. I've done it for years. What is there to be so afraid of then?" Gradually things started to feel a little easier after that.

Every time she does something good, it comes crashing down at the end. Yes, she went out to a festival. That's great, getting out of the house is great. Then she got separated from her sister, and, upon reuniting with her, was humiliated.

So she got separated from her sister. No big deal. They were quickly reunited; nothing to worry over. And she was humiliated. In front of some random highschoolers and old friends from middle school that she almost never interacts with? Who cares? I'd argue that Neeko has four, maybe three, people that actually matter in her life: Her parents, Imoko, and maybe now Uri. And all of those people still love and support her, even knowing the things she was "humiliated" over in the first place.

That night Neeko had a ton of fun spending time with a person she loves and is loved by. There were some small bumps, but I'd say she's doing pretty good if she's still able to admit to herself that she was having fun (there was a few years where I was/am convinced that I hadn't felt any positive emotions in that time span, and felt isolated as the important people in my life were either coincidentally depressed as well, living very far away and in low contact, or deceased).

Well, that's a lot of rambling from me, and I hope it didn't come off as if I was trying to preach my beliefs, because that wasn't my intention. I'm not trying to belittle anyone's struggles, tell anyone to think the way I do, or anything like that. Rather, I just meant this as a response to the comments saying things like,

This manga isn't enjoyable

or

It's not funny for people that actually relate

Because I can relate some of my past experiences to Neeko, and feel like I can even relate to the present sometimes as well, but to me this manga has been about watching Neeko grow, and I think if you go back to the beginning and pay close attention, you will see that Neeko has been growing, ever so slightly but steadily. And I think that's because Neeko hasn't been letting her steps back be more significant. She does sometimes take some steps back, but overall her steps in the other direction have been even marginally larger, and in the end that's how you move forward.

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

i finally managed to pawn this series off on another editor. :P
i hope neeko can continue to be honest with urei, instead of getting into some weird watamote situation...

To reply you must either login or sign up.