Forum › Give My Heart To You. discussion

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

The green hat isn't physical, it's just an expression. Like "wearing your heart on your sleeve." Someone "wearing a green hat" is usually a very roundabout and more cultured way of saying "got cheated on." If you don't want to sound crass you use the green hat expression.

4fe5eecd-bb71-4108-8d32-020d4e723c02
joined Oct 3, 2018

Ah, okay, I’ve definitely seen the “fairy” expression in other translations. Makes sense.

joined Jun 12, 2019

I don’t get the green bit i feel dumb

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Three days ago, I wrote this:

Is elf girl into yuri manga? And does she read online series?
If she doesn't, it's likely she will never find out...

She already found out. On the first day. Talk about being naive, me.

joined Dec 30, 2018

Nice nice
Good good

Rena_home_1
joined Aug 8, 2012

tfw learned about the "green hat" from Mokou:

xxSatsumaChan420xx
Dbd174e7-39d8-417f-8544-a30c85fd6e62
joined Oct 15, 2016

The madohomu poster lmaoo

TheDudeThatExists
Screenshot_20200407_211356
joined Feb 21, 2020

Li Wan Nian is absolutely precious, I love her!

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Wait, are they at a boarding school where having your own computer, in a four person dorm, is forbidden? That seems ... Rediculous? Insane and likely to breed contempt for the rules, in general, more than anything else?

last edited at Mar 20, 2020 8:36AM

joined Jul 26, 2016

Wait, are they at a boarding school where having your own computer, in a four person dorm, is forbidden? That seems ... Rediculous? Insane and likely to breed contempt for the rules, in general, more than anything else?

Reminder that this is China we're talking about. Not only is it the prototypical East Asian "Shame Culture" preoccupied with appearances but also a deeply corrupt totalitarian police state - a mode of governance that strongly encourages a facade of adherence to both the Party line and the various rules and regulations as an outright survival trait, and very little real internalised respect for any of the above because most people full well know them to be a sham (also a survival trait).

Why do you think the country has major corruption scandals with alarming frequency and the regime has to semi-regularly shoot egregiously corrupt middle-rank bosses who were caught with their hand in the cookie jar pour encourager les autres and to give the impression they're at least trying to do something about it?

Meaning in this context chances are the school authorities don't actually give a flying fuck about enforcing those silly prohibitions (unless given some extraordinary reason to put on the pretense of a crackdown) and the students know this perfectly well.

last edited at Mar 20, 2020 9:06AM

Lil-Dumpster-Rat
2020-10-01%20(2)
joined Jul 27, 2019

And now she knows

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

Reminder that this is China we're talking about. Not only is it the prototypical East Asian "Shame Culture" preoccupied with appearances but also a deeply corrupt totalitarian police state

You should take this to the café, pal. Most Japanese people who travel to China, or who live and work and go to school in China, say life is pretty much the same than in any part of Japan. Where there are differences, they speak favorably of China ― like the enormous amount of resources they poured into protecting their people from Corona-chan and the extraordinary results they have already achieved: while capitalist countries are being gutted and ravaged by the disease (only in Italy, there have been more deaths than in all of China since the virus first emerged) and seem unable to react to it with anything but feeble token efforts, in China the epidemic is under control and deaths of patients have stopped. Ryo Takeuchi released a video last week explaining how the Chinese achieved this; it's in Youtube, you might want to take a look at it.

I'm sure my words inspire you dozens of things to say and scores of arguments to adduce. That's fine. The café awaits you with open arms: go tell the people there.

last edited at Mar 20, 2020 10:04PM by Nezchan

Alpha%20avatar
joined Nov 13, 2015

while capitalist countries are being gutted and ravaged by the disease

I really don't wanna get into politics but modern China is as hypercapitalist as it gets. Communism exists there in name only. That, and their track record with accurate death tolls rivals the Soviets.

Back on topic, I really am surprised at how quickly the yuri-manga cat got out of the bag. Here I was expecting it to drag on with her hiding it well into the double-digit chapters.

last edited at Mar 20, 2020 10:04PM by Nezchan

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

pfft. Zero romance experience(at the time, I assume) and writing about it anyway! Authors these days!
This is interesting. Nice to see yuri from other parts of the world.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Reminder that this is China we're talking about. Not only is it the prototypical East Asian "Shame Culture" preoccupied with appearances but also a deeply corrupt totalitarian police state

You should take this to the café, pal. Most Japanese people who travel to China, or who live and work and go to school in China, say life is pretty much the same than in any part of Japan. Where there are differences, they speak favorably of China ― like the enormous amount of resources they poured into protecting their people from Corona-chan and the extraordinary results they have already achieved: while capitalist countries are being gutted and ravaged by the disease (only in Italy, there have been more deaths than in all of China since the virus first emerged) and seem unable to react to it with anything but feeble token efforts, in China the epidemic is under control and deaths of patients have stopped. Ryo Takeuchi released a video last week explaining how the Chinese achieved this; it's in Youtube, you might want to take a look at it.

I'm sure my words inspire you dozens of things to say and scores of arguments to adduce. That's fine. The café awaits you with open arms: go tell the people there.

Just sayin' but nothing you wrote even had anything to do with what I wrote. :|

last edited at Mar 20, 2020 10:03PM by Nezchan

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

Are my eyes playing a trick on me or that girl actually has elf ears?

I looked over that “gazing into the distance” panel like a dozen times trying to clarify whether the elf thing was figurative or literal and tbh I’m not seeing it.

May be a questionable rendition of "fairy", which IIRC is a reasonable translation of an old Chinese term for any number of supernatural or otherworldly women (think "celestial maiden") and apparently a somewhat archaic/poetic flattering epithet for a beautiful lady.

Or that's how it was used in one or two manhwas set in pseudo-Ancient Chinese settings I read elsewhere anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If the intention is to express otherworldly beauty in English, then "angel" is a much better simile/metaphor than "elf" or "fairy."

last edited at Mar 20, 2020 4:52PM

joined Jul 26, 2016

If the intention is to express otherworldly beauty in English, then "angel" is a much better simile/metaphor than "elf" or "fairy."

The point being that "fairy" is the established and readily recognizable translation for a relevant Chinese expression. Whether Nan Xiao uses that specific term or a different one (possibly some niche geek version, idk) I couldn't tell you of course.

joined Oct 8, 2015

yo at the 大鍋菜 i think it means like mixed rice/economy rice (as wikipedia puts it), you can google 食堂大锅菜 (I'm gonna bet its the same word but this one is in simplified chinese, my traditional chinese isn't so good), generally it's just a bunch of dishes precooked and you can pick what to eat with rice

Huh. Interesting...I've never heard of the term economy rice before :o

But would it be correct to call something economy rice flavored? Cause in the raws, it was written as 大锅菜味道 but that doesn't really seem to make sense..?

Either way, it's definitely better than sticking with big-pot dish lol Thanks for the explanation!

I would say it's more like a dish instead of a flavour, so in a sense it'll be economy rice dish, or more simply put just "dish" or "menu" if it makes any sense

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Back on topic, I really am surprised at how quickly the yuri-manga cat got out of the bag. Here I was expecting it to drag on with her hiding it well into the double-digit chapters.

I know, right?

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

==while capitalist countries are being gutted and ravaged by the disease ==

I really don't wanna get into politics but modern China is as hypercapitalist as it gets. Communism exists there in name only.

I always chuckle a bit when someone claims China is a capitalist country identical to any Western capitalism. Modern China is a fourfold alliance of classes: peasants, workers, intellectuals and the national bourgeoisie. The government is expected to protect the rights and interests of every class. The state and the Communist Party plan and control every aspect of social and economic development, and the private corporations do exactly what the government (also a major shareholder in most of them) tells them to do. This is not a country where the rich one percent rules and bought politicians follow. If a business leader tries to bribe his way out of his obligations, there are consequences... like recently when tens of thousands of CEOs (many of them billionaires) where forced to resign and thrown into jail for fraud and corruption. How can anyone think that this is the same as how things work in USA or Europe is beyond me.

(Srsly, people, go to the café if you wanna keep talking smack about Chinese politics... it really has nothing to do with the story of this yuri manga...)

That, and their track record with accurate death tolls rivals the Soviets.

You should tell that to the WHO, the ECOSOC and all the other international organizations that accept information from China without question. They just love conspiracy theories.

last edited at Mar 20, 2020 10:02PM by Nezchan

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Seriously people, don't post some long, off-topic screed and then tell people "Don't do the thing that I just did, oh wait I've got a little bit more." It's bad form.

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

She's got precedent, tho. As the great John Selden advocated: "Do as I say, not as I do." ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

She's got precedent, tho. As the great John Selden advocated: "Do as I say, not as I do."
( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

I've got John Selden on my side? Wow!

Kaseyamada
joined Jun 28, 2019

This is so adorable. I love yuri manhua.

I wish somebody uploaded She Is Still Cute Today to the reader...

Alpha%20avatar
joined Nov 13, 2015

More Chinese yuri? I hope it'll be allowed to go someplace. Maybe the government will be too distracted by Corona-chan to do the usual.

Yeah, hopefully it won't be another Their Story situation. Is this entirely web-based? If I remember right Their Story's censorship problems started when they tried to physically publish.

To reply you must either login or sign up.