Forum › Still Sick discussion

Ke%20(5)
joined Feb 10, 2016

This is still my favorite on-going manga. It's just too good

HazmatChiefAlsimi
joined Feb 9, 2019

The next chapter is gonna be reaaaaaaaaaaally good.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

We nearly got the sexy time but at least we got some kiss.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Can someone explain me in simple words the dialogue between the two ? I reread it multiples times but i'm too stupid to understand.

Sk_fb
joined Feb 17, 2013

sexual desire: UNLOCKED! made me lol.

20180630_180023-412x427
joined Feb 25, 2014

@Lilliwyt
Maekawa wants Shimizu to like her as a person, not for her manga smarts. She says "Doesn't that make you sick, that I finished my manga draft than care for you?" She wants that affirmation because she's insecure about the strength of their relationship to the point of automatically assuming Shimizu is flirting with the new OL (even though she was just helping her out on her first day.)

Shimizu tells Maekawa that it's more than just her manga prowess that interests her, that she just gets super crazy about people and their dreams, and the fact that Maekawa can't stop caring about her makes her incredibly happy to the point of loving her.

last edited at Sep 10, 2019 8:17PM

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

"Makoto-san" ohhhhh ho ho ho ho...we're finally on first name basis.
Also not sure if they actually did it in the end

Doesn't that make you sick, that I finished my manga draft than care for you?" She wants that affirmation because she's insecure about the strength of their relationship to the point of automatically assuming Shimizu is flirting with the new OL

I think that makes it more complicated lol. By "doesn't that make you sick" she just meant that "aren't you upset that I care more about my manga than you?
Which is not true, but Maekawa assumes it might seem like that to Shimizu

last edited at Sep 10, 2019 8:26PM

586679-586678-51yyd2ts_il._sl500_aa300__super
joined Oct 4, 2018

Those co-workers of theirs are really considerate. Fixing up those water bottles before closing the door XD

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Btw this hairstyle on them is so distracting to me. They remind me of babies that don't have much hair and their moms just make a bun of it anyway.

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

Ahhh, I love this so much. Also, didn't realize there was an official English version coming out - definitely looking forward to that.

joined Jul 26, 2016

The... visual representation of Shimizu's Life of the Mind got me good, that's for sure.

Nodoyue_avatar1
joined Aug 7, 2017

I don't think it's terribly relevant as Kidoguchi knows Shimizu is gay, right?

He doesn't know for sure. Shimizu has only come out to Maekawa. So even if Kidoguchi suspects it, I don't think someone who is not certain of someone else being gay or how comfortable they feel openly talking about it, would use a female pronoun.
Not trying to argue, just my two cents. Seems like "they" would be more appropriate here, considering the fact that he doesn't directly use a female pronoun in Japanese as well.

So, there are no gendered pronouns in Japanese, but in English, gendered pronouns are so common that people consider it conspicuously out of your way to use they/their/them. This adds a complicated subtext to a lot of manga, especially queer-genre manga, because you can give the impression that someone is guarding their sexuality when they're actually speaking frankly, or you can give the impression that someone has been "tipped off" to things they're already supposed to know, or any number of other little mischaracterizations.

I believe it's generally suggested here and from past conversations that Shimizu doesn't really have any secrets from Kidoguchi. He almost certainly knows she's a yuri fan, and that she ships girls constantly. We also know that they broke up -and- they're still good friends, which suggests comfort and honesty. He may or may not be explicitly aware that she's gay, but he probably has at least suspicions, and this is supposed to be a scene where she's bearing her soul to her most trusted friend. It changes the dynamic if the translator writes it as if she's in the closet with him.

All in all, I think it's a complicated question with no easy answer. I suspect it's immaterial anyway. He probably knew anyway and there's a good chance he recognizes that it's Maekawa. (Now, anyway)

This one of the reasons why I've recently started contemplating a different approach to Japanese-to-English translation of manga that's partly inspired by a novel approach used by the translator group of Samayoeru Tensei-sha-tachi no Relive Game (Psycho Play) to tackle the problem of the MC (originally male but magically transformed to female in Chapter 1) repeatedly switching between male and female pronouns within the same speech bubble in early chapters. Psycho Play's solution is to simply translate both as "I", but gloss each one with the appropriate gender symbol in a surprisingly non-obtrusive manner (here is an example from Chapter 3).

My hypothetical approach is to translate normally until we hit situations where gender ambiguity is crucial, in which case we immediately switch to gender-neutral pronouns that are glossed with gendered signs where appropriate based on either pre-established facts (e.g. we know X has a mistaken assumption about Y's actual sex, while Z does not) or the most plausible expectations (e.g. we know X's actual sex is not known to the surrounding crowd, while the present Y knows it). Yes, that may very well make the dialogue look weird and "unnatural" to a native English speaker... and that's perfectly fine. You want to know why?

Because the characters aren't talking in English, but in Japanese, which operates by a very different set of rules and conventions. Localization may be an important part of the translation process (the degree of importance is arguable, but it's undeniable that finding the closest equivalents in meaning is vital for creating a coherent, intelligible and easily "digestible" result for the average reader), but it should never be the overriding priority. The obsession with the idea that JTE requires forcing the narration and dialogue into the mold of "natural" English (which is a subjective label varying from one country to another, and even within the same country in some cases, sometimes to drastic degrees of divergence) at the expense of any natural ambiguities and the like from the source, all in the name of localization, is something that pisses me off about a lot of translators.

Speaking for myself, I may have initially found the results of the "accuracy is more important than localization" paradigm confusing, but AFAIR it didn't take me that long to get used it and even start to kinda-unconsciously see it as just another "Japanese variety" of English. God knows how some real-life varieties (whether you choose to call them "dialects", "accents", or some other term) of English are borderline if not outright unintelligible to speakers of more "popular" varieities (e.g. American and British) that aren't used to such exotic varieties.

To put that last paragraph another way: I believe that a translator not only has no obligation to coddle a potential reader by tailoring his "product" to their whims. They should be helping them grow and learn, broaden their horizons in terms of knowledge about the foreign cultures from which the translated work comes from whenever such culture pops up in said work. If the reader isn't willing to grow and learn, then that's their loss, not the translator's, who should just move on and forget about those who have chosen to willfully wallow in their own ignorance (which is sometimes driven by such despicable motivations as xenophobia and ethnic/cultural/national chauvinism).

last edited at Sep 10, 2019 9:30PM

Images
joined Dec 15, 2016

FU** YEAH!!!!!!!!

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

When I read the raws I thought that when those ser Shimizu and Maekawa, Maekawa said "WAIT A MOMENT" like in a "WE CAN EXPLAIN THIS" way lol my japanese it's pretty bad x'D

Alien%209%20kumi
joined Feb 28, 2019

we finally get a kiss the long awaited kiss
(that isnt for shits and giggles and onesided)

last edited at Sep 10, 2019 9:38PM

23131889_285323998648077_5029786755005305904_n
joined Jan 11, 2019

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/still_sick_ch15#20

I heard Zelda's main item song in this "dah dah dah daaaaaaaah"

last edited at Sep 10, 2019 9:46PM

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Yay! I've been eagerly waiting!
(goes download)

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

This one of the reasons why I've recently started contemplating a different approach to Japanese-to-English translation of manga that's partly inspired by a novel approach used by the translator group of Samayoeru Tensei-sha-tachi no Relive Game (Psycho Play) to tackle the problem of the MC (originally male but magically transformed to female in Chapter 1) repeatedly switching between male and female pronouns within the same speech bubble in early chapters. Psycho Play's solution is to simply translate both as "I", but gloss each one with the appropriate gender symbol in a surprisingly non-obtrusive manner (here is an example from Chapter 3).

My hypothetical approach is to translate normally until we hit situations where gender ambiguity is crucial, in which case we immediately switch to gender-neutral pronouns that are glossed with gendered signs where appropriate based on either pre-established facts (e.g. we know X has a mistaken assumption about Y's actual sex, while Z does not) or the most plausible expectations (e.g. we know X's actual sex is not known to the surrounding crowd, while the present Y knows it). Yes, that may very well make the dialogue look weird and "unnatural" to a native English speaker... and that's perfectly fine. You want to know why?

Because the characters aren't talking in English, but in Japanese, which operates by a very different set of rules and conventions. Localization may be an important part of the translation process (the degree of importance is arguable, but it's undeniable that finding the closest equivalents in meaning is vital for creating a coherent, intelligible and easily "digestible" result for the average reader), but it should never be the overriding priority. The obsession with the idea that JTE requires forcing the narration and dialogue into the mold of "natural" English (which is a subjective label varying from one country to another, and even within the same country in some cases, sometimes to drastic degrees of divergence) at the expense of any natural ambiguities and the like from the source, all in the name of localization, is something that pisses me off about a lot of translators.

Speaking for myself, I may have initially found the results of the "accuracy is more important than localization" paradigm confusing, but AFAIR it didn't take me that long to get used it and even start to kinda-unconsciously see it as just another "Japanese variety" of English. God knows how some real-life varieties (whether you choose to call them "dialects", "accents", or some other term) of English are borderline if not outright unintelligible to speakers of more "popular" varieities (e.g. American and British) that aren't used to such exotic varieties.

To put that last paragraph another way: I believe that a translator not only has no obligation to coddle a potential reader by tailoring his "product" to their whims. They should be helping them grow and learn, broaden their horizons in terms of knowledge about the foreign cultures from which the translated work comes from whenever such culture pops up in said work. If the reader isn't willing to grow and learn, then that's their loss, not the translator's, who should just move on and forget about those who have chosen to willfully wallow in their own ignorance (which is sometimes driven by such despicable motivations as xenophobia and ethnic/cultural/national chauvinism).

I think it's a decision the translator has to make about who their audience is. You can fully localize the culture of the work, you can refuse to localize anything about the culture of the work, (clarifying points of confusion with translator's notes or even just leaving your audience to fend for themselves,) or you can do anything inbetween.

Each one of those appeals to the sensibilities of a different kind of fan, and what it ultimately comes down to is an artistic choice. And like all artistic choices, it's subjective. (That's not to say a localization can't be objectively bad, but there are subjective decisions in the process of any translated work.)

My personal preference is that you translate if there's an equivalent, and if there isn't an equivalent (like for things like honorifics, for example) You keep the original culture. If you feel like the reader needs context, provide it. Most anime-manga fans will follow you through the small stuff.

last edited at Sep 10, 2019 10:55PM

11143587_983945991615710_6019435042284427906_n
joined Jan 29, 2015

HOLY SHIETTTTTT !!!!

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

More drama coming soon

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

yay! they did gay stuff. finally

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

The obsession with the idea that JTE requires forcing the narration and dialogue into the mold of "natural" English (which is a subjective label varying from one country to another, and even within the same country in some cases, sometimes to drastic degrees of divergence) at the expense of any natural ambiguities and the like from the source, all in the name of localization, is something that pisses me off about a lot of translators.

But why the obsession with keeping idiosyncrasies of the source text over trying to represent the author's intent in the style of the target language and target medium (English language, English manga)? Why intentionally introduce stiff or somewhat convoluted reading experiences that the author never put in the original? Translation is one piece of the process to creating a viable text to sell in the market. Rather than coddling a reader, how you adapt/transform a text to another language is more about which reader you are writing for. Generally that's either the manga hobbyist or the mainstream Japan fan (think official subs vs official dubs).

I guess I'm just saying that the translator or even the entire technical staff (usually contingent contractors all of them) doesn't hold a monopoly on the philosophy guiding the creation of a work in a new language. It's like coding, you can solo code your own projects with full control over them, but anything created as part of a team as part of a company will not conform to one person's view of how it should be done and for whom.

I agree though, trying to force the original narration and dialogue into English won't end well. I've always seen translation as rewriting in the target language the way the author would if they were a bilingual, native speaker of the target language attempting to create the same reading experience for two different demographics in both works. Localization is just a label for that. Natural English just means natural sounding written prose which comes as an effect of rewriting in English. Personally, I always ask, what's the best way to retain artistic integrity and what's the best way to affect our reader the way the author affected theirs. Translation is and always will be interpretation of the source and transformative.

last edited at Sep 11, 2019 12:30AM

Fb_img_1534347820826
joined Oct 2, 2018

Holly molly this chapter was somethin'.....ahhhhh damn it that was awESOMEEEE...ok sorry but jokes asides jealous Maekawa is the best Maekawa ^-^/

HazmatChiefAlsimi
joined Feb 9, 2019

It was hilarious!

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

don't forget that Zelda reference too

To reply you must either login or sign up.