Forum › Still Sick discussion

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

At first I was shocked when Maekawa uttered the name Makoto cause usually that's a male name. But then I remembered that's Shimizu's first name... big sigh of relief

I was like "wait, who's Makoto again?" for a second the first time around too. I don't even remember Maekawa's first name, if it's even been in the manga yet.

That name is one of the ones used for both sexes. Akira, Hinata, Haru, there are actually a fair number more. I was reading something online about it and apparently there are names common with older guys that we now associate with women too. It's interesting to me how names turn over over time.

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

is there any significance to "circle-triangle Publishing" or is it just some weird method to blank-out the actual name since it doesn't matter? :P

joined Jul 26, 2016

I don't even remember Maekawa's first name, if it's even been in the manga yet.

Akane. Her mother also uses it during that telephone convo.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Lol it's funny, these two women who caught them together have appeared in similar situations before
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/still_sick_ch10#4

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

^And they clearly ship them.

Nodoyue_avatar1
joined Aug 7, 2017

The obsession with the idea that JTE requires forcing the narration and dialogue into the mold of "natural" English (which is a subjective label varying from one country to another, and even within the same country in some cases, sometimes to drastic degrees of divergence) at the expense of any natural ambiguities and the like from the source, all in the name of localization, is something that pisses me off about a lot of translators.

But why the obsession with keeping idiosyncrasies of the source text over trying to represent the author's intent in the style of the target language and target medium (English language, English manga)? Why intentionally introduce stiff or somewhat convoluted reading experiences that the author never put in the original? Translation is one piece of the process to creating a viable text to sell in the market. Rather than coddling a reader, how you adapt/transform a text to another language is more about which reader you are writing for. Generally that's either the manga hobbyist or the mainstream Japan fan (think official subs vs official dubs).

I guess I'm just saying that the translator or even the entire technical staff (usually contingent contractors all of them) doesn't hold a monopoly on the philosophy guiding the creation of a work in a new language. It's like coding, you can solo code your own projects with full control over them, but anything created as part of a team as part of a company will not conform to one person's view of how it should be done and for whom.

I agree though, trying to force the original narration and dialogue into English won't end well. I've always seen translation as rewriting in the target language the way the author would if they were a bilingual, native speaker of the target language attempting to create the same reading experience for two different demographics in both works. Localization is just a label for that. Natural English just means natural sounding written prose which comes as an effect of rewriting in English. Personally, I always ask, what's the best way to retain artistic integrity and what's the best way to affect our reader the way the author affected theirs. Translation is and always will be interpretation of the source and transformative.

The fact that you even start off by calling my stance an "obsession" undermines your entire argument with the taint of prejudice against those who prefer experiencing the story as closely as feasible to how the original demographic (namely, native Japanese readers) experienced it while not being fluent readers/speakers of Japanese themselves. It disgusts me, moreso that you're not the first and most certainly will not be the last to misunderstand and (sometimes) even disparage the kind of manga readers that I belong to.

is there any significance to "circle-triangle Publishing" or is it just some weird method to blank-out the actual name since it doesn't matter? :P

Just one of several less-generic ways to blank out unimportant names or censor copyrighted/trademarked names.

9a98d8a7-869e-4e25-947d-59f469d10a1d
joined Feb 22, 2019

Now kissss- wait, they’re already way past that

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

Huh, on re-reading I realized why Maekawa kissed her the first time, she was just going off of Shimizu’s “cliche smutty yuri” bit and didn’t realize how serious she would take it, it’s drawn so intensely I missed that the first time.

last edited at Sep 25, 2019 6:18PM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

I am so moved by this series. Pacing is spot-on and I feel like my feelings are being expertly manipulated with each chapter.

Maekawa's lying and deflection in the beginning is disconcerting though lol.

Ke%20(5)
joined Feb 10, 2016

Huh, on re-reading I realized why Maekawa kissed her the first time, she was just going off of Shimizu’s “cliche smutty yuri” bit and didn’t realize how serious she would take it, it’s drawn so intensely I missed that the first time.

And I bet she (Maekawa) really liked it

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

One great moment I somehow missed on the first reading: Shimizu's misinterpretation of Maekawa's drawing binge at the end of chapter 6. "I bet she had SO much fun."

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Raws are up to chapter 18. Hope we get an update soon

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

Shit. I really need an update on this

I need it badddddd

joined Mar 5, 2019

Shit. I really need an update on this

I need it badddddd

I second this. It's been three months, and I'm utterly devastated.

Fb_img_1596724226396
joined May 14, 2017

Maybe this is a little pushy, but when will there be more updates ???
Sorry for bad English

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Unfortunaly it's Sexy Akiba who work on it. As they do pretty good job, they aren't the more consistent team when in come to work. I think you will have better luck waiting for physical Volume release as Vol.1 is already out since November 12th. Physical release that might be the reason why they drop it.

joined Mar 6, 2016

Raw is now on ch19 and I wanna know what they are saying here

last edited at Dec 9, 2019 1:13PM

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

Maybe this is a little pushy, but when will there be more updates ???
Sorry for bad English

I don't have the answer to your question, but your English is pretty good, even better than some who are native speakers

Fb_img_1596724226396
joined May 14, 2017

Unfortunaly it's Sexy Akiba who work on it. As they do pretty good job, they aren't the more consistent team when in come to work. I think you will have better luck waiting for physical Volume release as Vol.1 is already out since November 12th. Physical release that might be the reason why they drop it.

Okay, kinda sad tho
Can i get the link to buy it???
Thx

joined Mar 5, 2019

Who do I have to throw money at to get some more chapters out? This story is super important to me.

igenetycs Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Aug 14, 2019

Who do I have to throw money at to get some more chapters out? This story is super important to me.

You can buy the official version, or you can donate to Sexy Akiba Detectives. That said, SAD is still working on this series, and have actually made pretty decent progress regarding the next few chapters.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

You can buy the official version, or you can donate to Sexy Akiba Detectives. That said, SAD is still working on this series, and have actually made pretty decent progress regarding the next few chapters.

I just receive my copy of the official release. Worth to mention it had an exclusive bonus chapter.

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

ayy it's back

also lmao at that bear hiding in the "kneeling on the wood" part

last edited at Dec 22, 2019 7:13PM

joined Jul 26, 2016

I wonder if this author's worked on comedy manga before? They have a knack for that kind of thing lmao

To reply you must either login or sign up.