Forum › Useless Princesses discussion

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

Yes. I can feel the kiss getting closer and closer.

joined Nov 21, 2017

So much drama, but it's cute.

2_copy
joined Jan 27, 2015

Izumi is the best. Go Izumi. Seemingly the most normal character in the series. Izumi! Izumi! Izumi!

Megu
joined Mar 22, 2014

Izumi is the best. Go Izumi. Seemingly the most normal character in the series. Izumi! Izumi! Izumi!

LOL poor girl must be so confused about wtf is going on

Tumblr_lxr5uv8e8n1qeoztuo1_500
joined Aug 13, 2018

As a wise man once said: "You made my girl cry, now you die."

In all seriousness though, Fujishiro overreacted and we all know it. He said some bad stuff, but it was pretty superficial and falls in line with his job of disciplinary (read totalitarian) control. Don't counter verbal transgressions with physical violence, no matter how angry you are.

On the other hand I am very happy that Fujishiro gets mad on her behalf all the time. Her inner turmoil is overshadowed by how much she likes Kurokawa. This could so easily devolve into her rejecting Kurokawa just because she is jealous, but instead she appreciates her more.

This is pretty much my take on the whole thing. I mean, actually hitting the teacher was like one of the worst ways to go about it but I did like how it showed how much she cares about and wants to protect Fujishiro.

One if the things I’ve always thought odd about society was the idea that physical violence is never ok, but verbal “violence” is. In this example the teachers words could potentially create an emotional scar that could take years to heal, while his bruise will heal in a week. Not to mention how high Japan’s suicide rate is. A large chunk of the cause is probably due to bullying. The main issue with bullying isn’t the physical pain, but rather the emotional and mental pain.
You also have to think about how to resolve an issue without violence, you need the wit and influence to do so, and if you don’t then all that’s left is violence.

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

Can I just say that this chapter (9) really elevated this manga in my eyes? Not only did the author dodge the possible "multiple chapters of them not having a heart-to-heart about what happened" trope and instead allowed the characters to explain their emotions (as well as they understand them--the poor baby gays) to each other, they also took a critical step of spelling out that the connection characters' motivations really extend beyond trying to look cute. To this point, the manga has seemed to put a lot of emphasis on the importance of what a person looks like, which might seem shallow and unworthy of writing about (to say nothing of the potential harm such a piece could cause given all the fucked up social standards we have around beauty); however, what Kurokawa says in her little outburst made it clear to me that the author knows better, that the characters' preoccupation with beauty belonged to them and was not the author's position on the issue, and that the real point of their efforts to improve their appearance was to become stronger, more confident, and closer to each other--and in those things lies the value of the search for beauty.

I'm really looking forward to where this manga goes from here: I no longer have a firm sense of what quality level of authorship we're looking at here, and I hope I'll continue to be happily surprised as it progresses.

joined May 20, 2013

The gradual changes in the characters' looks have made this manga quite unique, and the story is still promising, as long as Izumi turns out to be "just" a good friend, not part of a love triangle... (Dear My Teacher worries.)

Untitled%203
joined Feb 3, 2013

I was promised unexpected turbulence. Where is the ridiculous misunderstanding? Where's the cliffhanger ending?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I was promised unexpected turbulence. Where is the ridiculous misunderstanding? Where's the cliffhanger ending?

Wait, aren’t they both girls? How can two girls be in love? How would they even, you know, “do it”?

And maybe they like each other so much that they can’t believe the other would “really” want to “be with” them. (And by “be with” I mean tongue kissing and maybe even handholding with intertwined fingers.)

So never fear—lotta possibilities still on the table.

joined Oct 10, 2016

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/useless_princesses_ch09#5

Kanade, stop. RIGHT. NOW.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/useless_princesses_ch09#10

Yeah, sure, make yourself depressed because you're not perfect. Stop it for once and take example of old Kanade. It'll make our day. To admit that you were wrong with making Kanade to your image.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/useless_princesses_ch09#12

WELL I HOPE YOU'LL FINALLY UNDERSTAND THAT MAKING KANADE TO YOUR IMAGE WAS WRONG AND TURN KANADE'S LOOK BACK AS WELL AS MAKING YOURSELF MORE HUMBLE JUST LIKE KANADE WAS BEFORE SHE MET YOU, DUMBASS.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/useless_princesses_ch09#13

Let it be real, not a dream

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/useless_princesses_ch09#15

Stop this weird relationship now, Kanade in dream was right, you two don't fit, you'll be too different unless you'll try to be much more humble.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/useless_princesses_ch09#20

You're happy when you suffer? Are you for real, Kanade?

last edited at Jan 24, 2019 12:57PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I sense a triangle coming.

joined Feb 18, 2015

Izumi has always been a voice of reason and potential "friend with and unrequited crush" on Fujishiro. Back in the very beginning it was Izumi who showed Fujishiro the picture of her boyfriend with the girl he was two-timing her with. One might think she had trailed the guy looking for evidence that he was up to no good in order to get her to dump him? Then she called out Miki and the other girl on being biotches right before Fujishiro blew her top at them and caused the rift in the group. It was clear that she wanted the girls to make up and wasn't happy about Fujishiro drifting away from her old friends and hanging out with Kurokawa. This most recent apparent harsh talking to that she's handing out to her "friends" is right in line with her established character, the only question is whether that character is the "girl with an unrequited crush on her friend" or "girl who understands her friend better than her friend knows".

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

Maybe Izumi is going to seduce her two other friends

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

So, are they officially gay now?

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

re: Linterdiction

Can I just say that this chapter (9) really elevated this manga in my eyes? Not only did the author dodge the possible "multiple chapters of them not having a heart-to-heart about what happened" trope and instead allowed the characters to explain their emotions (as well as they understand them--the poor baby gays) to each other, they also took a critical step of spelling out that the connection characters' motivations really extend beyond trying to look cute. To this point, the manga has seemed to put a lot of emphasis on the importance of what a person looks like, which might seem shallow and unworthy of writing about (to say nothing of the potential harm such a piece could cause given all the fucked up social standards we have around beauty); however, what Kurokawa says in her little outburst made it clear to me that the author knows better, that the characters' preoccupation with beauty belonged to them and was not the author's position on the issue, and that the real point of their efforts to improve their appearance was to become stronger, more confident, and closer to each other--and in those things lies the value of the search for beauty.

I'm really looking forward to where this manga goes from here: I no longer have a firm sense of what quality level of authorship we're looking at here, and I hope I'll continue to be happily surprised as it progresses.
I feel similarly...

I'm officially in strong like with this manga.

There are so many aspects that in other mangas would add up to something shallow or vapid or --so many other things. This is surprisingly refreshing.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

FRIENDSHIP WINS

No need for great analyses. This was a pay off chapter and I thoroughly enjoyed it~

One if the things I’ve always thought odd about society was the idea that physical violence is never ok, but verbal “violence” is. In this example the teachers words could potentially create an emotional scar that could take years to heal, while his bruise will heal in a week. Not to mention how high Japan’s suicide rate is. A large chunk of the cause is probably due to bullying. The main issue with bullying isn’t the physical pain, but rather the emotional and mental pain.
You also have to think about how to resolve an issue without violence, you need the wit and influence to do so, and if you don’t then all that’s left is violence.

...as for this. The ideal case is not to retaliate at all. You need to understand when you are in no position to counter-attack. We already discussed the alternatives she should have taken.

Yet the saying holds true "Sticks and stones break my bones, but words can never hurt me". It's true that continous verbal abuse or the words of someone close can have a strong painful effect, but to have such a remark by a stranger without a clue hurt you deeply, you already must be quite insecure. Which Kurokawa clearly seemed to be, but as this chapter showed, isn't anymore.
Words you can ignore, blend out or run away from. Physical pain, not so much. It's also way more obvious, so it can be traced back and get you into trouble easier than verbal attacks.

last edited at Jan 25, 2019 7:30AM

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

I've noticed that this manga is really good at dodging cliché tropes.

It happened several times already: a chapter ends with our MCs at the brink of going through several chapters of misunderstandings, angst and suffering (or, at least, that's how it looks like to us, the genre-savvy readers) and then, next chapter... wham, big surprise: they have a talk, they open their hearts to each other, the potential misunderstandings are dispelled and all's right with the world!

I really hope this manga starts a trend. We need lotsa more yuri like that.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

w o m a n c e

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

re: BugDevil

FRIENDSHIP WINS

No need for great analyses. This was a pay off chapter and I thoroughly enjoyed it~

...as for this. The ideal case is not to retaliate at all. You need to understand when you are in no position to counter-attack. We already discussed the alternatives she should have taken.

Yet the saying holds true "Sticks and stones break my bones, but words can never hurt me". It's true that continous verbal abuse or the words of someone close can have a strong painful effect, but to have such a remark by a stranger without a clue hurt you deeply, you already must be quite insecure. Which Kurokawa clearly seemed to be, but as this chapter showed, isn't anymore.
Words you can ignore, blend out or run away from. Physical pain, not so much. It's also way more obvious, so it can be traced back and get you into trouble easier than verbal attacks.

Words we consider racist, mysognist, etc. are a counter to "but to have such a remark by a stranger without a clue hurt you deeply, you already must be quite insecure." for many.

I have scars from bullying and think verbal abuse is underestimated and undervalued.

If physical abuse does not leave obvious marks, it can be overlooked as well.

Abuse is generally an emotional term. Physical damage without suffering is often (rightly) not considered abuse. People can get others into trouble by physically damaging themselves or permitting excess physical damage and are more likely to believe being able to prevent such damage as evidence.

It's just easier for humans to evaluate what they can touch and see. So physical abuse gets more attention than verbal abuse. The latter is more frequent and more accessible for doing harm to others. Unless you believe a person force into death (e.g. murdered and cursed) suffers more, I'd argue you can more easily do greater harm with words -- by the very nature that your emotional space is nearly unbounded. Once the bodies dead, you can't do further harm (unless you believe physical abuse can extend suffering beyond physical death).

To me, it's easy to explain emphasis on one or the other, but easy and simple are often neither correct nor sufficient. And that's how bullying and psychological health handling are in US to me, often incorrect and almost always insufficient.

last edited at Feb 24, 2019 10:01AM

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Simon! Don't believe in yourself! Believe in the me that believes in you!

Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

Should have kept the glasses. Maybe get some new stylish frames, but don't give up on that charm point!

New girl is lessie friend of blackhair?
Isn’t this starting to feel like citrus

Pikachuwhat
joined Mar 13, 2014

Last few pages having me sort of confused lol.

Sweet Dangus McGee
Jung%20freud%202
joined Jul 2, 2017

new character? Side romance perhaps???

whitenight2013
Tumblr_inline_o3faqeqbgs1s9j5kz_400
joined Mar 10, 2018

When the first chapter of this came out, I assumed it would be a five or six chapter series. Now we're here at chapter 10, they're introducing a new character with no end in sight, and I couldn't be happier.

To reply you must either login or sign up.