Forum › My Master & Furry-eared Girl Mel discussion

19243370_189319978264256_7134889760776107126_o
joined Dec 26, 2014

I'm intrigued. Please elaborate on the matter about the language thing

Well, I'm exaggerating a bit, but there is quite a bit of awkwardness resulting from Master's lack of a real name. Usage of "you" is uncommon in Japanese, since usually people just call each other by name when speaking to them, but by necessity Stella and Mist use "you" quite a lot—Master doesn't have a name for them to use, and they can't call her Master since she isn't their master. When Stella is talking about Master indirectly, she uses "kanojo" ("she") which is also uncommon in Japanese—usage of third person pronouns is pretty rare, usually people just call others by name when speaking about them as well. It's not completely out of the ordinary, but it's clear that the characters would probably be calling her by name if she had one.

It'd be too rude/overly familiar for Marie to refer to Master by pronoun, so she calls her "Mel's Master" to her face, or just doesn't use any form of address. This isn't entirely unusually, since people often refer to each other by their position or by some other relation ("Manager", "President", "Teacher", "X's grandmother", etc) but it's still awkward here, especially considering that Mel calls Stella "Stella-san". Obviously I can't have Marie calling her "Mel's Master" to her face in English since I don't walk up to Bob's mom and say "Hey, Bob's mom, how are you?"

I think the way people refer to each other is one of the most consistently awkward parts of translating. At least this isn't as bad as in Happy Sugar Life, where it wasn't until chapter 21 that someone finally referred to Asahi by some gendered language. I assumed he was a boy from the beginning, but nobody ever used "he" or "him" or "son" or "brother", so I was anxious that it'd suddenly be revealed that he was actually a she and had been from the beginning.... This kind of thing happens a lot when characters discuss people. In English you have to use a gendered pronoun, since people almost always say "he" or "she" when discussing someone if they know their gender (I know usage of "they" is possible, but when discussing a known person, it's restricted to the very rare cases in which that person doesn't identify as male or female—this situation is basically nonexistent in manga). When translating sometimes you just have to guess the gender and pray that the person isn't introduced later in a way that proves you wrong.

I salute all Japanese translators lol. Thank you for the info though, all these were quite interesting. As someone said in a previous comment, Itou must have made a bet with her editor that she would pulled out the whole series without giving master a name lol. At least we know she's a woman though.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

So Master will be forever unnamed?

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

the MASTER is YOU.

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

End of the final chapter, Master's name is revealed: Itou Hachi

Hana3
joined Mar 22, 2018

When I saw how mind-numbingly cute those gloves were, I could feel it in my bones that there would be an equal and opposite reaction.

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

End of the final chapter, Master's name is revealed: Itou Hachi

I FUCKING KNEW IT

19243370_189319978264256_7134889760776107126_o
joined Dec 26, 2014

tbh I would love to see Itou Hachis work animated someday. it might as well be this manga.

joined Feb 27, 2018

Basically, I'm just saying that I trust Itou Hachi that answers do exist even if we never get to learn them. In many works I don't trust the author and accept that the answers aren't given because the author never came up with them in the first place.

My questions are not primarily aimed at what Itou Hachi is doing (although if she wanted to, it seems like it would be easy enough to drop some more specific background details into Mist’s responses, etc.), but at what readers are doing (and what they are given the information to be able to do) with what Itou Hachi is doing.

Is the whole beastkin/human system a hopelessly corrupt exploitation of the labor of the powerless? (All of human history making “yes” a pretty good bet.)

Is it a humane (and ponder the implications of that word for a second) way of helping the beastkin make the most of their lives?

So when readers are considering the pros and cons of the possibility of physical love between Master and Mel, are we looking at:

• Bestiality
  • Pedophilia
  • Interspecies MIscegenation
  • Sexual Slavery

And how soon can we get it?

And on another note, why did my predictive text think that the next word that comes after “Pedophilia” might well be Blitzkrieg?

Cause whatever system you're using was programmed by a pedophilic nazi? That or your search history must be very interesting...

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

noo too much drama!

Unbenannt%20(copy)
joined Apr 21, 2018

That escalated quickly.

Nodoyue_avatar1
joined Aug 7, 2017

Aw, damn. I wanted the kidnapper to be beat up by Master!

@Zaita: Which manga is your avatar from?

last edited at Nov 11, 2018 12:52PM

20180327_165604
joined Nov 9, 2017

I know it’ll never happen, but I’d really prefer if Mel and Marie ended up together.

A8655427-a1fe-40eb-9c2f-10bb35cb2487
joined Aug 26, 2018

Damn this went from cute onee-loli shit to some intense ass angsty shit

joined Jun 23, 2017

Aw, damn. I wanted the kidnapper to be beat up by Master!

@Zaita: Which manga is your avatar from?

Pretty sure the manga is Hana ni Arashi, not sure which chapter though.

Edit: Chapter 16

Man, master. Just kiss the damn girl!

last edited at Nov 11, 2018 1:25PM

Untitled%203
joined Feb 3, 2013

Wow, shit got really serious. I was expecting Mel's almost kidnap to be nonviolent, like her other almost kidnaps.

last edited at Nov 11, 2018 5:45PM

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

EDIT: while I'm still concerned about what exactly happens to the beastkin child who do not pass the examination pre adoption school,

And why is it that the one thing the students at that school must never ever do is to go down in the basement? There’s nothing down there, nothing at all, even though there are hints that the basement is considerably larger than one would expect for the size of the building, parts of which might even be accessed from hidden tunnels deep in the woods behind the school.

And there are no strange sounds coming from down there. That’s just beastkin girls being silly with their overheated imaginations.

And what smell? Those silly girls again . . .

this is a quote from something but I forget what exactly

Clipboard00
joined Oct 30, 2015

SHIT GOT REAL

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Hah, on page 11 is that the cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore I see? Who knew we were in Firenze all this time!

Pikachuwhat
joined Mar 13, 2014

What the Mel just happened

Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

How dare you! How dare you raise your hand against a beastkin girl and strike her down! I don´t even know your name, dipshit, but you just skyrocketed towards the top of my list of anime/manga characters I want to kill!

joined Feb 22, 2018

How dare you! How dare you raise your hand against a beastkin girl and strike her down! I don´t even know your name, dipshit, but you just skyrocketed towards the top of my list of anime/manga characters I want to kill!

Easy there! A beastkin kidnapper is only the tip of the iceberg here. This manga is basically the Handmaid's Tale with furry lolis. The beastkin are basically slaves of humanity, marked and treated as property. And the whole reason that Mel and Marie are orphaned? Genocide.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Well, that escalated quickly. I guess it really feels like end of story is near. I really can't see it continued whatever the resolution of it will be.

Screenshot_2020-10-28_003849_2_2_69
joined Sep 14, 2014

Aw yeah, let master think about what she did wrong. Today's chapter was great

joined Jun 12, 2015

And this is the point where this story (story's world building?) doesn't make any sense anymore. Couldn't Hachi stick to the doujins where Mel and her kind were similar (or the same) to the one from Legally Married Yuri Couple Book (and Isn't The Moon Beautiful)? Ehhh...

last edited at Nov 11, 2018 3:31PM

joined Aug 10, 2018

Yes, the best way to resolve problems between two people is by keeping them from seeing each other and talking things out.

To reply you must either login or sign up.