Forum › Their Story discussion

Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

The faces are weird again...

What exactly do you mean by that?

I just re-read almost all of this series not too long ago, and I think their faces have always been highly variable, depending on the tone of the individual scene, or even in differing shots/expressions within scenes (and I don't just mean regular vs. chibi style).

For example, QT's nose can seem longer and more pointed depending on whether she's supposed to be doing a comic take on SJ goofing around or she's being seen in a "beauty shot," but I think that's been true all along.

So I'd just like to hear more specifically what you think has changed in the drawing.

Just compere this one with the ones SJ visits QT at her place.

There, their eyes were bigger and this one has too much eyeliner. Their faces´outline and contour is much less polished and QT nose changed (And in my opinion to the worse). The delineation seems harsher here while it was softer at the QT house visit.

At that moment SJ was the best I could´ve hope for. A tomboy who could also be rather feminine and cute. Almost as good as Kase-san ALMOST.

u proly have weirder face noob

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

wtf is with the elementary school insults?

Save it for your comedy tour.

Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

wtf is with the elementary school insults?

Save it for your comedy tour.

Actually that one made me chuckle a little. I felt like getting insulted by D.Va from Overwatch.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

There, their eyes were bigger and this one has too much eyeliner. Their faces´outline and contour is much less polished and QT nose changed (And in my opinion to the worse). The delineation seems harsher here while it was softer at the QT house visit.

At that moment SJ was the best I could´ve hope for. A tomboy who could also be rather feminine and cute. Almost as good as Kase-san ALMOST.

I guess there’s a style difference, but (to me) not much more than you’d expect in two chapters of any series a couple of years apart, especially working in digital. Ah well, different strokes.

While SJ has always been a tomboy, she’s never been the “cute” type or the androgynous “prince” type. She’s handsome rather than pretty but (as the individual images associated with the first chapter or the shower scenes, etc. show) she’s always been hot, with a very nice figure she’s quite willing to show off from time to time.

One thing I’ve quite liked about the visual design in this series is that it’s perfectly clear why the two main characters find each so adorable (and sexy) without being exceptionally fanservice-y or geared to the reader’s gaze.

Download
joined Jun 4, 2015

What happened with the short girl that had a crush on sj? the back an forth with qt an sj is still cute an makes me laugh but what happened to the love triangle drama that was going on. we see lil snippets here and there, but its not over right?

joined Oct 8, 2018

It’s nice for a slow, mild shoujo ai comedy. But the updates take very long....... And I hope to have more drama with the story

Ke%20(5)
joined Feb 10, 2016

Why is she so reluctant to suck on SJ's candy when she already kissed her? It's the same thing

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Why is she so reluctant to suck on SJ's candy when she already kissed her? It's the same thing

It's really not. That's just gross. Unless you fetishize saliva, I don't think a sticky candy that was in another's mouth is ever appealing.
Basically what I'm saying is that it wasn't a "I'm too embarrassed to do it!" moment, but rather a genuine "Who'd want to do that?" scene.

last edited at Oct 14, 2018 11:07AM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

It is really crappy of you to suggest that someone isn't a girl, or that the author should make a "het romance series" just because one of the characters looks boyish.

It is REALLY crappy of you to suggest that a girl isn't a girl just because they look boyish.

Sun Jing is a girl, and she has a girlfriend. This is yuri. This is a cute comic about a cute queer relationship between two lovable chinese dorks. If you don't like Sun Jing's look when the author jumps forward for a post-haircut strip here and there, then, well, deal with it. Sun Jing and Tan Jiu don't owe you anything.

I have to disagree with that.

No, you -chose- to disagree with that.

Yeah if Sun Jing is a girl in real life, even if she look like a dude, act like a dude, she is still a girl because there are so many other things to define a person's gender.

However, Sun Jing is just a fictional character, if the only thing makes her a girl is the author said that, then she failed to create a female character. In my opinion, Sun Jing look girly enough, but other than that, she is just like a dude, her dressing, her personality, how she acts, and even the behavior of everyone around her, etc, bring that feeling. I can describe some:

You think there aren't actual real life tomboys that see a character like Sun Jing and identify with her? That might wander into a forum thread and see somebody saying this character with whom they identify isn't girly enough?

It doesn't -matter- that SJ isn't a real person. There -are- real people who can be hurt by that kind of talk, whether or not the talk is directed straight at them or not.

Sun Jing is a girl. She identifies as a girl, which does -not- just mean "the author says so". The character, in universe, describes herself as a girl, and when she falls in love with a girl, she brings it up to her best friend and explicitly frames it in the context of being gay. She calls herself Sun Jing's "girlfriend". She dresses boyishly, because that is the kind of girl she is. She is allowed to be that, and she does not have to justify her existence, as a character or a person, to anybody else.

• Every girls in the series wear a ribbon, but she wear a necktie like other dudes. I'm talking about the school uniform, why the author do this? To indicate that she is 'different' from every other girls?
  • All of Sun Jing's friends are dudes. Sun Jing's friends also treat her like a real dude: swearing, jokingly hit her, and no one ever falls for her.
  • You can see any person falls for Sun Jing is always a girl. She only attracts girls, the attractiveness is insane, like "Oh, look at this girl over here, she's so tall, she's so handsome blushing, hey Qiu Tong, please give me her number". Did I say "always a girl"? Yeah, in this series, no dude bat an eye on Sun Jing, only girls, while Qiu Tong only attracts dudes.

Those all bring me a feeling of a het story, like the author firstly create a het story in her mind, then she decided to change the male character to female, because if it's het, it'll be too boring to get popular. To be fair, there are several chapters which Sun Jing has some unique feminine feature, such as she groped a girl and framed Mophead, or tricked Mophead to a girl toilet, but they are all at the very beginning of the story and there aren't any chapter like that anymore.

I know that in some story with tomboy character, the character may have some masculine feature, but Sun Jing is too much, enough to make me always think of a dude despite of her girly appearance.

Tan Jiu is LITERALLY fighting against government censorship over this series, and you're gonna swing in here and suggest she's just trying to be popular by making SJ a woman?

(bristles)

I really want to just unleash a string of profanity right now, but I'm going to try to keep myself mostly restrained. Like I said, there are actual real women exactly like Sun Jing in the world. There are women that look like boys, and women that act like boys, and women that have nothing but guy friends. There are women who dress in boy's clothing, that still think of themselves as women, and they are -allowed to be all of those things-. The author, similarly, is allowed to decide to make a story about such a girl, for whatever damn reason she wants. To be popular, to make a social statement, because she just fuckin' feels like it.

You, by contrast, get to decide that "this kind of story doesn't interest me", but quit pretending like the story is wrong, or objectively bad, just because it isn't aimed specifically at your tastes. There is a difference between "something is not to my personal tastes" and "this thing is poorly written or handled".

last edited at Oct 16, 2018 8:57AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

^I fully share the sentiments, Heavensrun, but this is a “I feel this, therefore it is objectively true” person.

But like you I can’t help but push back. As aesthetic criticism those ideas are nonsense; in real life they’re toxic and ultimately very dangerous to the welfare of people close to me.

joined Feb 1, 2013

Why can't we just talk about Sun Jing and Qui Tong being incredibly adorable dorks in love with each other... you know, rather than bringing all this gender nonsense into the discussion? Shouldn't we just be happy to have a cute little series about two girls being cute together? Can't they both JUST be girls, rather than gender tropes?

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

How come these images are not in the gallery?

last edited at Oct 22, 2018 6:45AM

416213._sx1280_ql80_ttd_(2)
joined May 3, 2017

Ooh hoo, thanks for the pics Nya-chan!

Man, QT looks like a whole different person in the first two images; kinda dig it :D

9b1d0703-1cf0-4df6-bc19-0b2abfd56881
joined Nov 23, 2015

I feel the story is now just stand alone one shots. Not really much plot. Kinda like Collectors yet not really? I thought it would be more like Fluttering Feels and YagaKimi, but guess this is now a light comedy romance then.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Hahaha she's usually so bold but now that she did it without noticing she gets flustered too
Those pictures are really good

last edited at Nov 2, 2018 1:31AM

joined Feb 23, 2016

QT is so freaking cute...

Yuri
joined May 11, 2015

Still cute, but I‘d realy like for the story/plot to continue...

Ke%20(5)
joined Feb 10, 2016

C'mon I want them to take it to the next tier. This is going too slow

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Ah, who doesn't hate that kind of weather ...

joined Jul 26, 2016

C'mon I want them to take it to the next tier. This is going too slow

Necessary reminder that the Chinese governement under God Emperor Xi's tenure is going full on fascist like it was still the Cultural Revolution so I think you'll have to excuse authors there for playing it safe.

WE NEED TO TAKE DOWN XI TO BRING OUT CHINA'S YURI POTENTIAL

joined Sep 6, 2018

Meh. That’s my reaction now. It used to hold my attention, but with these stagnant releases I will put my time/attention towards more deserving works like “Kase-san...” and “Bloom into You”.

This is my last post in this thread... don’t cheer all at once, everyone.

last edited at Nov 2, 2018 9:37PM

joined Nov 27, 2017

It's really frustrating watching the pacing of this get royally fucked thanks to horrifying politics. As if I don't have to worry about politics enough just in my own country.

last edited at Nov 3, 2018 3:46AM

Untitled2
joined Dec 24, 2013

Sunjing's looking kind of mannish lately.

last edited at Nov 5, 2018 12:30PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.