Forum › Goblin Is Very Strong discussion

It is surprising (to me) how relatably human this manga is for a story about level-grinding virtual avatars and video game AIs.

Uh, this is a different world with game mechanics, not an actual game. Monsters are living, not AIs.

Is this canon? I am just asking since I may have missed something. :-/

Nothing to miss. No computers, AIs, or virtual avatars are ever mentioned. Pretty clear that Aki is a school girl summoned to a world she is afraid of and misses her family regularly. She had to deal with pawning her own personal possessions from her world to fund her hopes of getting home, despite depending on those items for emotional support.

There are definitely no video games ever mentioned, only mechanics recognized by the readers.

After starting to reread it from the beginning, even saving is explained as a form of insurance for your equipment that scales with their value.

joined May 23, 2015

I'm more curious where in the story someone could possibly get the impression that everything is virtual.

Sshot-8
joined Oct 25, 2011

As earlier chapters have shown, the fact Goblin can usually kill with a single blow means she struggles with situations where that method won't work, or she's put in situations that she is weak against (like Death magic).

But she still won. Isn't that where the talent comes in?

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Nothing to miss. No computers, AIs, or virtual avatars are ever mentioned. Pretty clear that Aki is a school girl summoned to a world she is afraid of and misses her family regularly. She had to deal with pawning her own personal possessions from her world to fund her hopes of getting home, despite depending on those items for emotional support.

There are definitely no video games ever mentioned, only mechanics recognized by the readers.

Hmmm, I guess you are right, but even if it's never stated to be an MMO, most interactions in the story are still ludic rather than social, which is why complex characterization may be so unexpected here...

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

As earlier chapters have shown, the fact Goblin can usually kill with a single blow means she struggles with situations where that method won't work, or she's put in situations that she is weak against (like Death magic).

But she still won. Isn't that where the talent comes in?

It's been more luck than anything.

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Huh. Looks like Granite might get some real character development here. It should be interesting to see what she comes up with.

joined Apr 25, 2017

Was hoping for a Goblin x Aki ship, but I guess we can't always have the ship we want. Kind of like in the manga Tatchibanakan Triangle. It's always the childhood friend and not the lewd one smh.

joined Aug 10, 2016

-set up Granite's backstory
-set up demons being able to remove God's protection

Granite is going to die next chapter isn't she

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Was hoping for a Goblin x Aki ship, but I guess we can't always have the ship we want. Kind of like in the manga Tatchibanakan Triangle. It's always the childhood friend and not the lewd one smh.

Isn't it always the mysterious and exciting new girl that wins out and never the childhood friend that was juuuust about to confess? Well, perhaps that is more of a common pattern on the het side of things.

T%e1%ba%a3i%20xu%e1%bb%91ng
joined Mar 20, 2017

-set up Granite's backstory
-set up demons being able to remove God's protection

Granite is going to die next chapter isn't she

I don't think so. The fact that she couldn't uses her spells as Goblin said "it's not her talent". Maybe she will changes class and defeat that demon

joined Sep 25, 2015

There's a giant Lily flower on her God's protection thing.
Yuri confirmed, I guess? Hahaha.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Isn't it always the mysterious and exciting new girl that wins out and never the childhood friend that was juuuust about to confess? Well, perhaps that is more of a common pattern on the het side of things.

I still remember the Shuffle anime ending. I'd never, ever expected the writers to go with the route they picked out of all the ones available.

But in 97.3% of all cases it's immediately obvious whom they are going with, so, yeah ...

T%e1%ba%a3i%20xu%e1%bb%91ng
joined Mar 20, 2017

From Goblin's thought last chapter, and this

I think we're about to see Granite's real talent. She's just ignoreg it because she loves fire

Ce1
joined Apr 11, 2016

Oi, oi, no death flags in my yuri.
Then again, it's good to know Granite actually cares about Aki.

Parnifia the Bastard
Chrome_2018-04-13_12-33-32-min%20(3)
joined Aug 4, 2014

Every cliffhanger ever can go die in a fire. I will continue to be salty over this until the next chapter is posted.

joined Oct 26, 2016
  1. Super hyped for Granite to beat stuff up

2. TIL about human candles, an absolutely horrific torture method that shouldn't exist. "Using someone pretty makes it more popular" and "You have a lovely face and voice" together in context of slow burning and screaming is probably the most terrifying thing to hear.

last edited at Apr 4, 2018 10:58PM

joined Aug 10, 2016

Oh sweet god yes, she's not going to die. Characters like Granite usually get shafted to comic relief forever, or die when they're about to matter.

Shamimomo%20hug
joined Jan 23, 2016

I'm really worried she's going to use that Self combustion spell Goblin mentioned once...

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

Omg I was just thinking about this today and how I wanted it to come out soon, or I had a feeling it would today for some reason, and here it is.

YAAAAY!!!

joined Mar 15, 2015

Maybe she’s not actually a fire mage but some other element and forced herself to change ?

joined Dec 4, 2016

Maybe some dumb magic she rather not use. This manga just getting better.

joined Jun 30, 2015

Self-sacrifice destruction magic flags are up.

You get it around level fifteen with death magic. She's level twenty one. It ignores enemy's strength, requires a buttload of mana to cast, and is ridiculously powerful. She's also pulling off the "stoicity in the face of certain death" thing that martyrs always do in scenes like this. And the dude was commenting on how death magic wouldn't work on him, which would only leave the alternative magic that would at her level that was mentioned by Wasabi.

Calling it now; RIP forehead.

last edited at Apr 7, 2018 2:31AM

Pikachuwhat
joined Mar 13, 2014

I believe in Granite... She better not go and get herself killed. What would Aki do?! But then why would she ask Aki to hold her staff for her, hmm...

Yeah, this is getting really interesting. Genuinely excited for the next chapter.

Nep%20u
joined Mar 15, 2017

Death flags are raised very high up but somehow I don't feel like Granite is gonna die. Or maybe she will but she revives as an undead like that skeleton soldier from the demon king palace. And they'll pull some bullshit as to why her body doesn't turn into a skeleton and her memories intact

To reply you must either login or sign up.