Forum › Now Loading…! discussion

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

Purple Library guy, I agree with everything you say. The things you described are doubly true in the burgeoning field of BDSM romance / erotica. There are at least three independent BDSM romance. I am aware of in which the women involved find themselves seduced by Rich powerful billionaires. So not only are they fulfilling their BDSM submissive fantasies, there's also the element of winning the financial Lottery by marrying some super rich dude.

Despite all of this, Harlequin style romance novels Remain the best-selling genre of fiction in America by far.

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Leaving work at 7pm is normal!? Those 10-11 hour work days, ouch! At least they get paid overtime~

Cxpifenweaaqcl21
joined Nov 24, 2016

Hah, I was a bit surprised at the last bit of Ch03 but you know what, I actually like that pairing. IT WORKS!

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Leaving work at 7pm is normal!? Those 10-11 hour work days, ouch! At least they get paid overtime~

From what I know about the Japanese work ethics, this is normal.

joined Feb 18, 2015

From what I know about the Japanese work ethics, this is normal.

Except for the getting paid overtime part probably...

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

I wish there was so much content for me to consume that there would be some real competition here but there's not.

So sad, but so true. The lack of original yuri series is agonizing.

whu? I mean I have my hang ups. I'm picky as hell. but I don't think I'd go as far as to call it agonizing. huh.

It's a hyperbole.

Doh! Sorry.

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

I wish there was so much content for me to consume that there would be some real competition here but there's not.

So sad, but so true. The lack of original yuri series is agonizing.

whu? I mean I have my hang ups. I'm picky as hell. but I don't think I'd go as far as to call it agonizing. huh.

This might depend on how much time you have on your hands. I currently have too much free time and not enough money so there needs to be a LOT of content to begin ruling things like this out. I mean, if there was as much Harlequin Romance for lesbians as there are for straight women, I could suddenly be a lot choosier. ESPECIALLY, if the public library stocked oodles of them like they do Harlequin style books.

So the perception of how good the content flow is is altered by the amount of free time and the ability to fill that free time with other enjoyable things such as money for outings, close proximity to friends (okay I moved to a place with no one immediately in my age group and no money soooo this has been trashed), available dates, etc.

Writing this has made me think maybe I should go to the library and check out some straight Harlequins even though I have zero interest in dating men.

Don't do it! Not because you shouldn't read straight romance, just that Harlequins (and actually, most mass-market Western romance) are crap. Read some straight Josei or shoujo manga or something instead.

Writing quality as such aside, Harlequins aren't really romance. What they are typically is a sort of wish-fulfillment, typically through a patriarchal lens. That is, they fulfill the "wish" of women to land the ultimate male--big, strong, rich, forceful, the undisputed boss of the chimp troop. "Fifty Shades of Grey" is actually a pretty typical Harlequin except the dominance themes are more explicit. And what the female leads feel for these males is typically not, or not mainly, love. Generally it is lust, passion, a magnetic attraction to the dominant qualities of this male, combined with gratification that they were the one chosen and often a certain triumph at putting a leash on the big wild game. Often in fact attention is drawn to their active dislike of the person's actual personality, which they get over because they cannot resist the animal magnetism schtick. In a way it's love as greed, very much the romance of unbridled capitalism.

There is a strand in romance manga that can be kind of this way, but it's not dominant. And even the bad ones--there have been some Harlequins that were translated into romance manga, and when you read one of those you really see the difference. Most shoujo and even josei romances actually focus on emotion and personal connection. There's something sweet and touching about many of them that just isn't part of the Harlequin-et-al formula at all.

heh. And some comment here I glanced at a week ago had me wondering if romance was at all something I should bother reading given all my hang ups and particulars!

Another enjoyable chapter. Way to use the old friend of a friend thing. The ending was funny. That surprise relationship may only be surprising in that it was revealed so soon.

Oh. And I'd like to thank all the translators! Even if I don't like the title. I hope someday you are all immortalized in a manga about translating manga. To save to world! (of course)

last edited at Mar 31, 2017 4:45PM

DschingisKhan
Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

Oh, they actually admitted that thing that was obvious a chapter ago in text this chapter. Well done.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Oh, they actually admitted that thing that was obvious a chapter ago in text this chapter. Well done.

TBF it wasn't previously clear if they just had the usual "ludicrous amounts of UST bickering" schtick going or had actually progressed to the point of dating...

Z7geahm
joined Sep 7, 2016

I hope it focuses more on Gothic Lolita and Ms. Lab coat, they are like 20 times cuter than the main couple lol.
I like the MC, but for some reason her hoodie makes me angry.

yes please, theyre freaking adorable and a hella lot more interesting than the main couple

Ran-lossy
joined Mar 22, 2015

Don't do it! Not because you shouldn't read straight romance, just that Harlequins (and actually, most mass-market Western romance) are crap. Read some straight Josei or shoujo manga or something instead.

Well I didn't. I actually went and looked for some lesbian stuff but that ended up being trash for a different reason.

A few years ago I read several straight romances and although I don't think any of the were published by Harlequin they varied widely in quality.

The worst one was a bestseller by Sherrilyn Kenyon (and I had no idea who she was at the time) where it couldn't stop telling me what an independent woman the female "lead" was and her sleeping with the male lead in less than 24 hours of meeting him (first time too) and "something something true love". It had been disguised as a hard-cover adventure novel in the sci-fi section but was far worse than any of the paper backs.

But several of the paperbacks I had picked out were quite decent even if they did include loads of money and decadent settings. Of course, I waded through a lot of back cover blurbs before settling on stories that were actually interesting so I supppose a finding a few gems for my efforts isn't that unusual.

Rx_5_50
joined May 3, 2016

Hah, I was a bit surprised at the last bit of Ch03 but you know what, I actually like that pairing. IT WORKS!

It was super obvious from the beginning, though...

joined Jul 26, 2016

Subtle hints were dropped. (I like how Mochida looks like she's just sitting back enjoying the show there. Audience surrogate confirmed?)

last edited at Apr 2, 2017 9:03AM

MegaWallflower
Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

I like that it got to this "unambiguous mutual pining" part so quickly. Still waiting for the "war zone" thing from the description, though.

DemacianSentry
Symbol%20small002
joined Aug 26, 2015

Chapter 3: Ending: ...duh.

joined Feb 1, 2013

~Well, in Shinjuku, they say, Director Sakurazuki's little gay heart grew three sizes that day.

last edited at Apr 5, 2017 1:41AM

joined Feb 1, 2013

Watching the two goofballs in front of her... Sahara is somewhat channeling her inner Third Wheel Nico.

Nep
joined Apr 28, 2016

wtf is this shit ??? New Game copycat
0/10

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

bachou posted:

0/10

Do you ever do anything other than shitpost? Kinda seems pointless to even have an account when all you do is shit all over the chapters you read in such an unproductive way.

joined Jan 22, 2015

0/10

Um no. This deviates from new game by the end of ch.1
Please actually read the story next time and then try leaving a review.

And don't call out copycat. After reading manga/novels for 15 years I've seen a LOT of similar story lines. Just appreciate each one for what it is.

joined Oct 5, 2016

I really appreciate the actually adult behavior of these characters.

Main girl is like, "Yeah, I dunno what's going on, but right now I'm focused on my career so I'm going to delay making a decision."

And then the big deadline is past, so she's just like fuck it, wanna go out sometime?

Even the delay of romance is made because of an understandable reason, instead of just perpetual cold feet or stupid misunderstandings.

Tmp_bh7jrkjcyaakw52-1123006053
joined Apr 15, 2011

I laughed my butt off when Mochida went around the room listing the did-not-dos especially when she said, 'someone here hasn't done the debugging.' That used to be the story of my work life cuz duh... debugging and testing suck and sucks the life out of you!

I really appreciate the actually adult behavior of these characters.

Main girl is like, "Yeah, I dunno what's going on, but right now I'm focused on my career so I'm going to delay making a decision."

And then the big deadline is past, so she's just like fuck it, wanna go out sometime?

Even the delay of romance is made because of an understandable reason, instead of just perpetual cold feet or stupid misunderstandings.

It seems like more of the newer manga are focusing on more realistic, less over-the-top plots. in this case it is refreshing and very relatable.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

I like it cuz it gives me a New Game type fix with overtones of Shirobako and some sempai/kouhai or age gap stories.

joined Aug 6, 2015

FU CLIFFHANGURU!

Will they begin their relationship in earnest, or will something come up to hinder them? Will the past statement of "I definately won't make a move on her" hold things back, or will it be overcome? More importantly, though. What kind of teasing will these two be in for if they actually get together?

Thevoid
joined Nov 13, 2015

Does anyone know how often chapters of this manga get released in Japan? And also maybe how many chapters have currently been released over there? I'm not quite sure whether the scanlators have caught up to the most recent one or not...

last edited at Apr 11, 2017 12:42AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.