Forum › Miss Sunflower discussion

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I have to admit that the mom's attempt at storyboarding her explanation was pretty funny.

That was great. Both just the simple fact that she was doing it, and the way it played on our assumption that the flashback thing was just using a manga narrative convention and then it turns out no, she was totally showing those images.

Noeek
joined Mar 17, 2015

It's not like yelling at Mom would bring their childhoods back.

Might make them feel better, venting, but that's all it could accomplish.

So, where will Matsuri go to college? Will she be able to keep visiting Sunflower?

I could swear she said at some moment that she was going to a a college affiliated to her current school, but i might be thinking about chapter 73 were she said that wishes to be a teacher at her current school in the future.

last edited at Aug 24, 2022 4:03PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Never thought we'd see the quiet Himawari-san shout like that.

And so much emotion in this chapter. ^_^

Uohh
joined Mar 19, 2014

I've tried dating introverts; being an introvert myself, I thought it'd be much easier to get along since they'd "get it", right? Instead, the very opposite happened, cause as it turns out, introverts always expect other people to be more communicative than themselves, and this means a complete deadlock when you put two of them across a table.
At some point I caught myself thinking that "introverted people are a pain in the ass, you can never tell what they're thinking". The sheer irony of such a thought wasn't lost on me, so now I have a profound respect for extroverts and how effortlessly open they are, and also how they manage to put up with an emotionless robot such as myself.

I can't even imagine how the courtship process happened between Himawari's parents. Unsurprisingly, it's rapidly glanced over (we met... then we got married...), since even the author herself probably couldn't picture how would two stone-faced automatons engage in a romantic relationship.
Then again, their (amusingly realistic) lack of communication did prove to be unsustainable in the end.

last edited at Aug 24, 2022 6:11PM

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Love this chapter as always.

Regarding the father, I think it's fair to say that the series quite clearly reflects Japanese social standards in having the father largely absent from childcare and automatically assuming that housework is to be done by women (hence Miss Sunflower taking over after her Grandma's death) I don't approve of this at all and I don't know if the mangaka does, but giving them the benefit of the doubt, it would be fair to say that they just wanted to portray a "normal" Japanese family situation (albeit with very dysfunctional adults) Also, it seems like the father was always more or less absent (which can be seen in chapter 96 where Miss Sunflower thinks of him as living in a different world than the one she lives in) And while that's certainly not good parenting in any way, it was apparently less traumatic than their mother, who was likely much more engaged with them both practically and emotionally, suddenly leaving.

The sudden deep cut of her departure has thus left a much bigger scar than the constant dull pain of the father's disconnectedness.

last edited at Aug 24, 2022 6:27PM

[doki]%20new%20game!!%20-%2008%20(1280x720%20hi10p%20aac)%20[d7e2281e].mkv_snapshot_06.17_[2019.12.06_19.05.24]%20-%20copy
joined May 15, 2022

Despite all, on their own awkward weird way the family still loved one another. It's sad. A tragedy born out of lack of communication.
Biggest one to blame is the mother in law. Everything went to hell thanks to her. She didn't try to help, she didn't try to understand. Only blamed and judged.
I hope that now that they were able to communicate properly for the first time and they all expressed their feelings and regrets they can start reconnecting and having bonds with one another.
I wish we'd gotten to know what the mother has been doing with her life until now.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Are we really not going to speak about the fact that she didn't age at all ?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Simply judging from Kdrama and Jdrama actresses, it’s not so unusual for women to not appear to age very much as they approach middle-age (Asian skin-care regimes—for men and women—apparently being pretty fierce, and the story implies that the mom was fairly young when she was first married).

joined May 24, 2014

Will chapter 100 be the end?

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

Will chapter 100 be the end?

Last volume would have to be two extraordinarily long chapters for that to happen, so probably not.

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

Women in manga stay the same until they reach 70, then they age all at once.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

tbf, it's not that long, is it? Bit more than a decade or so? Late twenties to early forties at most? As someone vaguely in that age group I'd say there's plenty of people that change very little, or the changes would be in aspects that generally aren't really visible in manga due to the lack of details in the art (which obv is usually what makes the style interesting but sometimes can be a bit of a detriment when trying to depict something like ageing a few years ;) ).

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

tbf, it's not that long, is it? Bit more than a decade or so? Late twenties to early forties at most? As someone vaguely in that age group I'd say there's plenty of people that change very little, or the changes would be in aspects that generally aren't really visible in manga due to the lack of details in the art (which obv is usually what makes the style interesting but sometimes can be a bit of a detriment when trying to depict something like ageing a few years ;) ).

Right—the somewhat unusual thing is someone in the story noting the apparent lack of aging.

And, as you say, at a certain stage of life plenty of people appear ten or fifteen years younger than their actual age, unless you look very closely at their hands or around their eyes (it’s no accident that cosmetics products concentrate on those very features).

last edited at Aug 25, 2022 5:38AM

Bppble
joined Aug 22, 2022

...cause as it turns out, introverts always expect other people to be more communicative than themselves...
"introverted people are a pain in the ass, you can never tell what they're thinking". The sheer irony of such a thought wasn't lost on me, so now I have a profound respect for extroverts and how effortlessly open they are, and also how they manage to put up with an emotionless robot such as myself.

That's not what being an introvert is. You can communicate very well and be introverted or be extroverted and lack any actual communication skills. Introvert doesn't mean "someone who's never learned to say what they feel or think, oh and also they are on the spectrum"
Genuine communication is a skill a lot of extroverts lack

last edited at Aug 25, 2022 8:47AM

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Gahh, what is all this... warmth? ... I feel deep in the blood pump in my chest that people tend to attribute feelings to. Can't handle all these emotions. I am liable to cry when the final volume wraps up, gotta be honest. Himawari-san calling out Matsuri's name likely the with the loudest voice she has ever used in her life was everything.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Gahh, what is all this... warmth? ... I feel deep in the blood pump in my chest that people tend to attribute feelings to. Can't handle all these emotions. I am liable to cry when the final volume wraps up, gotta be honest. Himawari-san calling out Matsuri's name likely the with the loudest voice she has ever used in her life was everything.

That same organ in me to which you allude wanted to see Miss Sunflower rush forward and embrace Matsuri rather than vice versa.

But I suppose we’re not quite there yet.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

That same organ in me to which you allude wanted to see Miss Sunflower rush forward and embrace Matsuri rather than vice versa.

Damn, you are right, we were so close. I suppose that is something we have to hope for in the final volume then, Sugano-sensei please we are all waiting.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Damn, you are right, we were so close. I suppose that is something we have to hope for in the final volume then, Sugano-sensei please we are all waiting.

But let’s also agree on how greedy we’re getting because of the gifts we’ve already been given.

At one point (and I guess I’m getting repetitive in making this point) the gap between Matsuri and Miss Sunflower seemed to be insurmountable (and I still loved the story’s warmth and sweet slice-of-life comedy—an 8/10 series even then). The relationship progress we’ve seen has been amazing yet rendered as completely plausible, and I have little doubt that the ending will be just as well-done as the rest of it, whatever the emotional resolution for the characters.

And that chapter of, “Oh, yeah, Mom, so you’re back—whatever, my heart’s really pounding to go see my girl Matsuri” was simply priceless.

last edited at Aug 25, 2022 12:04PM

joined Jan 14, 2020

That's not what being an introvert is. You can communicate very well and be introverted or be extroverted and lack any actual communication skills. Introvert doesn't mean "someone who's never learned to say what they feel or think, oh and also they are on the spectrum"
Genuine communication is a skill a lot of extroverts lack

Yeah, introversion/extroversion (how socializing affects your energy levels), shy/outgoing, emotional awareness, and communication skills are like 4 different axes. They may correlate but don't have to.

last edited at Aug 25, 2022 2:11PM

joined Mar 21, 2017

Introversion/extroversion is a spectrum.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

What a fantastic chapter :)

So the next volume is the last? Well.. no series can go on for ever I guess but it seems like ive been reading this one half my life- which isnt too far off lol! So its gonna be a sad day no matter how it ends.

I hope it doesnt just end with Matsuri going to college with nothing said. Id at least like to know she will come back to work at the store with miss sunflower or some other positive 'they will stay together' type ending- even if its not explicity yuri.

last edited at Aug 25, 2022 5:26PM

joined Jan 14, 2020

True, including 'ambiverts' who can be energized by interactions with close friends while drained by interactions with more distant people, and other combinations (I'm that, plus being energized by a bit of casual interaction with distant people, low-stress seeing faces and such), but there are also still other axes as I mentioned.

Maxresdefault2
joined Jan 31, 2018

I thought this would go on forever ;(.

joined Mar 21, 2017

True, including 'ambiverts' who can be energized by interactions with close friends while drained by interactions with more distant people, and other combinations (I'm that, plus being energized by a bit of casual interaction with distant people, low-stress seeing faces and such), but there are also still other axes as I mentioned.

I'm drunkovert, give me booze and i won't shut up. Otherwise i'm sitting in the corner playing with the cat.

last edited at Aug 29, 2022 1:09AM

joined Aug 10, 2014

Guys I am not ready for this story to end,someone hold me because I am legit going to cry when it ends ;_;

I hope we get to see Miss Sunflower return Matsuri feelings at least once,we know she feels something for her,but I want to see her put it in words at least once even if it is something as simple as a "I love you too" .

Also any ideas when is the last volume coming out ?

last edited at Sep 2, 2022 11:52PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.