Forum › Bloom Into You discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

BugDevil posted:

Darkness within darkness awaits in this thread. Does this mean the low quality translation is already out?

Only in Spanish... and is not very good haha so yeah, I won't spoil any further

3 chapters left then (officially announced) but I don't know what they gonna do with that... Well, I wouldn't complain if they just go around having dates or whatever until [The End] haha

Yo no hablo español.
So that means most of the people here just looked at the raws. Must be pretty self-explanatory if they didn't need text.

Yeah I'm totally okay with 4 chapters of fluff tbh. After all drama only exists to lead to resolution and what lies beyond that should not be more drama.

There are self-explanatory aspects of the raws, to be sure, but mostly we were speculating under the black bars.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Althought, what we do with Yuu's mom ? Iirc Rei said she will be the one who will be against their relation.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

^ Heh. If something like that happens I imagine when Rei starts arguing in support, Yuu and Touko would be like "Ah, yes. The negotiator.". Again, IF it happens

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Althought, what we do with Yuu's mom ? Iirc Rei said she will be the one who will be against their relation.

Well anything can happen. We didn't have a whole lot of interactions with the mom, so we just kinda take Rei's word for it, but sometimes parents change their tune really quickly when it concerns their children.
In both directions sadly.

joined Nov 5, 2017

Darkness within darkness awaits in this thread. Does this mean the low quality translation is already out?

If by low quality translation you mean Kusoshop, that's not ver fair :8. They are good (4s too), not taking as many liberties as 4s when it comes to sentence construction doesn't necessarily make it "low quality" imo. That's not to mention 4s has made a couple of important mistakes in the past so having more translations to check out is a good thing... Or you were joking when you said "low quality" because they call themselves that in a mock sense... if that's the case, my bad, please excuse me and ignore my lame comment :,D

The Spanish version is good too so i am gonna have to disagree with Serenata as well :p i understood all of it and didn't see horrible grammar mistakes like in other manga translated in Spanish (which is why I consumme media on English). :0

I guess I am not the kind who cares about kinda awkward or stiff English/Spanish in translations very much xD Japanese is a very different language from those so i gotta see the effort behind translating such language even if the result is a bit awkward x.x as long as the ideas from the original are conveyed clearly

last edited at Jun 28, 2019 8:54AM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I guess I am not the kind who cares about kinda awkward or stiff English/Spanish in translations very much xD Japanese is a very different language from those so i gotta see the effort behind translating such language even if the result is a bit awkward x.x as long as the ideas from the original are conveyed clearly

By what measure would you rate quality of a translation, if not by how accurate and flowing it is?
This isn't about effort or comprehension (although the latter certainly matters too and can be botched up even by higher quality teams). Then there is type-setting, clean-up and redrawing to consider too for more quality.

I don't know most groups or how good they are, I merely consume. And the early translations for most manga are always second rate. That is the consequence of rushing something out. Whether it's a lack of effort, skill or time, low quality is low quality and I'm not getting on the scanlation groups' back for it. After all I wasn't complaining.

The low quality translations exist for those who aren't patient enough to wait for the polished product and that's their niche. Nothing wrong with that.

last edited at Jun 28, 2019 9:09AM

joined Nov 5, 2017

By what measure would you rate quality of a translation, if not by how accurate and flowing it is?
This isn't about effort or comprehension (although the latter certainly matters too and can be botched up even by higher quality teams). Then there is type-setting, clean-up and redrawing to consider too for more quality.

I don't know most groups or how good they are, I merely consume. And the early translations for most manga are always second rate. That is the consequence of rushing something out. Whether it's a lack of effort, skill or time, low quality is low quality and I'm not getting on the scanlation groups' back for it. After all I wasn't complaining.

The low quality translations exist for those who aren't patient enough to wait for the polished product and that's their niche. Nothing wrong with that.

That's why I said their translation is good imo. It's accurate, it's not like they are doing machine translation and getting the lines from the original wrong. The sentences flow? YMMV I guess. If we don't know Japanese at all, how can we tell the translation is accurate? By how pretty the English sentences sound? We just blindly trust the translator?
A fansub being fast doesn't mean they are giving low quality or rushing their work. Maybe they have enough free time to sit and translate/type in 2 days, who knows.
For example, the first translations for this manga were pretty bad because the fansub translated from Chinese, and they either weren't good at it or the Chinese got some parts wrong. That is what I would call low quality or even worse than that because some sentence are totally wrong.
Neither yagakimi fansub does cleaning for all the SFX but I don't consider that an aspect of good quality since these are fan translations. If Seven Seas didn't clean their stuff I would complain (if i bought their version..)
That being said, I don't know what aspect of KS is "low quality" for you.

last edited at Jun 28, 2019 9:31AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Not quarreling with your main point—I’ve definitely seen some rushed translations, and the later ones, when available, do tend to be smoother.

But there’s a fundamental issue that all Japanese > English manga translators need to finesse, which is transforming a story written for a high-context culture into one suitable for a low-context culture. Things just need to spelled out that are givens or understood for the original audience.

Either way a translation leans, something important is at risk for getting lost—tone and atmosphere for the original audience, basic information/narrative understanding for the target audience. I’d expect YagaKimi (among others) to be a challenge in that regard, with a lot of fraught conversations depending on the reading of a word or phrase for their impact.

This kind of translation is not quite the same as transforming a lyric poem into technical instructions. But it’s in the same neighborhood. :)

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Not quarreling with your main point—I’ve definitely seen some rushed translations, and the later ones, when available, do tend to be smoother.

To be honest I didn't see anything in your reply that even contradicted my words at all... So I don't really know what to reply.
Accurate, so that the meaning is transfered as closely as possible.
Flowing, so that it actually sounds like something an English speaking person would say, rather than an alien.

I think those two words reflect exactly the issues you've brought up. Quality takes time, I think we all know that much.

joined Feb 18, 2015

BugDevil posted:

Only in Spanish... and is not very good haha so yeah, I won't spoil any further

3 chapters left then (officially announced) but I don't know what they gonna do with that... Well, I wouldn't complain if they just go around having dates or whatever until [The End] haha

Three chapters eh... I'd think they would have to have Yuu meet Touko's parents and Touko meet Yuu's parents AS HER GIRLFRIEND and not just her sempai... That could be two chapters... then one to wrap up... but I don't know if she'll go that route.

Finally found an english translation: https://imgur.com/gallery/xPeh8Il

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I think we need an entire chapter of Yuu's sister teasing the as couple! maybe a double date?

last edited at Jun 28, 2019 10:27AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

To be honest I didn't see anything in your reply that even contradicted my words at all... So I don't really know what to reply.
Accurate, so that the meaning is transfered as closely as possible.
Flowing, so that it actually sounds like something an English speaking person would say, rather than an alien.

I think those two words reflect exactly the issues you've brought up. Quality takes time, I think we all know that much.

Just that there can be number of different “good” translations, and that “accuracy” can be a moving target when when trying to evoke both denotation and connotation.

joined Oct 22, 2018

Finally found an english translation: https://imgur.com/gallery/xPeh8Il

Thanks. Now I'm screaming of joy internally.

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

Did they finally make out or

joined Nov 5, 2018

In their head, yes also they held hands.

joined Oct 22, 2018

In their head, yes also they held hands.

Pretty much the watered-down version of what I wanted to say.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

if anyone, yes, but that doesn't mean it's destined to be a plot point. We have three chapters until the ending, probably one special for the tank. I'm guessing one of those is probably going to be centered on advancing their relationship to the next level, the other two provide probably just enough space for one last mini-crisis before solidifying their future together, but they could also do an epilogue or a "What happens long term vignette. It just depends on what Nakatani wants to do with it. Last hurdle or victory lap? I could see it going either way.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

. It just depends on what Nakatani wants to do with it.

Handle it like the post balcony proposal from Citrus /s (I mean the fact that they convince the grandfather like that and was only one case without bubble)

last edited at Jun 28, 2019 9:03PM

joined Oct 22, 2018

Handle it like the post balcony proposal from Citrus /s (I mean the fact that they convince the grandfather like that and was only one case without bubble)

Uh... Yeah, how should I break this to you? Uhh... we definitely don't want a repeat of how the most middling of all yuri manga ended.

last edited at Jun 29, 2019 5:23AM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Uh... Yeah, how should I break this to you? Uhh... we definitely don't want a repeat of how the most middling of all yuri manga ended.

Man, i'm bad at joke it seem.

joined Oct 22, 2018

Man, i'm bad at joke it seem.

No, you're not bad at making jokes, I'm bad at interpreting jokes for what they are.

EDIT:
Actually, I've been putting it lightly. These last few days, I've been horrible at it.

last edited at Jun 29, 2019 6:06AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It just depends on what Nakatani wants to do with it. Last hurdle or victory lap? I could see it going either way.

If ever a series deserved a victory lap . . .

10455963_830638436992044_5645511050433336598_n
joined Jun 27, 2019

If anyone want's to see the raw's go here

Thanks for the head's up. :)

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

Wow, I saw the raws. I must say, this chapter seems awesome. I wouldn't be surprised if by the end we have a time-skip chapter showing their future together.

To reply you must either login or sign up.