Forum › Sugar Meets Girl! discussion

Teru%20frown
joined Jul 9, 2020

Reject arbitrary gender norms. Oppose pointless societal restrictions. Embrace your true self.

Your true self is valid. (And cute.)

joined Jun 12, 2015

Is this confirmed yuri? No bait?

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

Ohhh, I like this! The tough girl secretly liking sweets was a given, but I didn't expect the opposite with Class Prez. Hang in there, girls! When you eventually take over as your respective family heads, you can do whatever the hell you want. A yakuza boss giving you the death stare is just as intimidating if they're drinking a sweet tea, dammit!

9d94c4a9-d46e-49f0-a68e-0a44d27fedb6
joined Oct 22, 2021

So the title is really Sugar Meats Girl

last edited at Apr 20, 2024 1:08PM

Untitled187
joined Mar 30, 2024

The author literally made their names synonymous to what they actually like. Satou(sugar) and Mito(Meat). I don't know how it's written in japanese but you get the idea.

joined Nov 21, 2018

It's worth remembering here that "Amai" or "Sweet" in Japanese, when used for people, is the same as calling them weak or naive. So that also plays into how Japanese society sees liking sweets as feminine and unmanly.

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

Ridiculous premise, but I'm all aboot gals being pals.

joined Jan 10, 2017

Stupid. She’s tough so she’s not a girl but she loves sweets so she actually is a girl. This is the logic of the deranged and neurotic. I love food and cooking as much as anyone but personally I’ve had enough dessert. When the manga girls are eating headcheese and offal, I’ll be interested. Conservative censorship, otaku fordism, and gacha mindsets have created a vacuum of creative intrigue. The artists with an appreciation for the eroticism of liberated young women railing lines and having affairs no longer find an outlet in manga. We desperately need our delinquents back. 90% of new releases are the fantasy of people who both fear and shun the DoorDash courier and all the world they cannot see from their gaming chair. And oh, she’s a violent gang leader who secretly eats pastries all day and mostly just accosts street artists minding their own business? She’s a cop.

it's just a romcom pal chill

I get where they're coming from though. I really am not a fan of these one-note premises. Just way too shallow. Maison Ikkoku was a romcom and from 40 years ago. Why can't we have a yuri romcom like that? This is just air and nothing.

420e065dfd1a4d6b3655ec2b8f710afc%20(1)
joined Apr 25, 2020

am i the only one who skips the descriptions of the food, how they taste, how they're prepared etc?

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Little by little they're getting closer, and it's cute to see so far. I also generally really enjoy the art and character designs, thanks for the translation! I'm looking forward to seeing their relationship grow more.

am i the only one who skips the descriptions of the food, how they taste, how they're prepared etc?

Probably not.

Annotation%202020-07-02%20193122
joined Apr 19, 2018

I get where they're coming from though. I really am not a fan of these one-note premises. Just way too shallow. Maison Ikkoku was a romcom and from 40 years ago. Why can't we have a yuri romcom like that? This is just air and nothing.

In a weird way, I agree and disagree with you. I don't really have the clarity to put it into words right now.

Nah, I remember reading (mostly skimming through) a manga in which the ML was into barbeque'ing and the ML and FML get married after a few dates but had to maitain a long distance relationship due to their jobs. They mostly used to have Weekend dates over barbeque, and the barbeque part was half or more than half the chapter and I just used to skim through it.

last edited at May 31, 2024 12:07AM

-7xom-00_400x400
joined Feb 25, 2023

Stupid. She’s tough so she’s not a girl but she loves sweets so she actually is a girl. This is the logic of the deranged and neurotic. I love food and cooking as much as anyone but personally I’ve had enough dessert. When the manga girls are eating headcheese and offal, I’ll be interested. Conservative censorship, otaku fordism, and gacha mindsets have created a vacuum of creative intrigue. The artists with an appreciation for the eroticism of liberated young women railing lines and having affairs no longer find an outlet in manga. We desperately need our delinquents back. 90% of new releases are the fantasy of people who both fear and shun the DoorDash courier and all the world they cannot see from their gaming chair. And oh, she’s a violent gang leader who secretly eats pastries all day and mostly just accosts street artists minding their own business? She’s a cop.

I'll admit that I'm a bit worried that this will just stay regular Kirara fluff and not really develop into anything, but there's already hints of how having to hide their love of their respective foods is indicative of how they have to slot themselves into acting more masculine/feminine more broadly. It's not like the author can't do something interesting with this premise.

joined Sep 27, 2017

I'll admit that I'm a bit worried that this will just stay regular Kirara fluff and not really develop into anything, but there's already hints of how having to hide their love of their respective foods is indicative of how they have to slot themselves into acting more masculine/feminine more broadly. It's not like the author can't do something interesting with this premise.

As long it progresses into full romance between the two I don't mind if it's fluff. There could be some more complex elements here, or it could simply be light hearted and easy going. I do enjoy some Kirara fluff myself so I'm not really sweating it either way. Life is hard and cute things are nice, that's all I have to say haha

Ihaveseenthelight
joined May 28, 2013

I enjoyed it... that's about all the thought I've put into it. :3

joined May 3, 2014

Stupid. She’s tough so she’s not a girl but she loves sweets so she actually is a girl. This is the logic of the deranged and neurotic. I love food and cooking as much as anyone but personally I’ve had enough dessert. When the manga girls are eating headcheese and offal, I’ll be interested. Conservative censorship, otaku fordism, and gacha mindsets have created a vacuum of creative intrigue. The artists with an appreciation for the eroticism of liberated young women railing lines and having affairs no longer find an outlet in manga. We desperately need our delinquents back. 90% of new releases are the fantasy of people who both fear and shun the DoorDash courier and all the world they cannot see from their gaming chair. And oh, she’s a violent gang leader who secretly eats pastries all day and mostly just accosts street artists minding their own business? She’s a cop

can i have some of that sugar you are mixing…… i mean!!! that white powder you just snorted :3

Palucina1
joined May 26, 2020

Did they just start dating?

joined Oct 27, 2018

Braindead gender nonsense. I think I'm gonna pass on this one.

joined Sep 27, 2017

The secret meeting already feels kind of like a date

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

They're basically just a hop, a skip and half an accidental stumble-into-kiss moment away from moving in together

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Ah, they're so adorable. And at least one of them is already getting all kinds of feelings. ^_^

Also, that title page is a whole other special kind of party, certainly would like to see them like this as well. :D

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

This plot is some prime grade inane bullshit. How is it so fun to read?

Undertale%20deltarune%20fukufire%20skateboard%20gay
joined Aug 4, 2021

I relate very deeply with the relief and pleasure of finding someone you can be open and vulnerable with.

Genshin.impact.600.3396601
joined Jul 20, 2016

I swear, people are taking this plot a bit too seriously. It just seems to be about two people who are constantly told they should act this way and finally meets someone who they can relate to and help each other out. If you don't enjoy it, just read something else.

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

I swear, people are taking this plot a bit too seriously.

On the contrary. It's hard to take this particular plot seriously. And yet, somehow it's a fun story nevertheless.

Teru%20frown
joined Jul 9, 2020

And that "teasing" with the parfait spoon was absolutely flirting with the barest hint of plausible deniability.

To reply you must either login or sign up.