Forum › What Is Normal Love? discussion

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Claymore Gaby posted:

All this talk about childhood friends made me wonder, y'all reading Asumi-chan?
Because that's one series were the childhood friend is endgame and it's been set in stone from the very beginning! Asumi goes through dozens of girls and has all kinds of relationships, while all the time looking for her childhood friend, and the moment they meet and get together is when the manga will end.

This post might be really fun to come back to in a couple years; we'll have to see.

joined May 29, 2022

Of course childhood friend loses right? Unless...

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Bro the childhood friend has no chance after that backstory lol

D5aad09a-7f7c-4c16-aad1-2b0b94587149
joined Nov 13, 2022

That was the fastest speed run from love at first sight to date. Blonde girl is SPEEDY

20240119_014822
joined Nov 18, 2021

So is the Blond girl, also the one when they're kids? When you look at the way she intertwined her fingers, it's also the same as the one in flashback.

So, they're also secret childhood friends, or something like that. Hahaha.

Anyway, I'm gonna follow this one.

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

We need a tag for "amnesiatic childhood friends", or "mistaken childhood friends"

It is such a cliche.

Huh
joined Dec 16, 2020

We need a tag for "amnesiatic childhood friends", or "mistaken childhood friends"

It is such a cliche.

I actually had a friend I played with as a kindergartener who I didn't recognize was in my high school math class until a few months into the school year. She had worn a lot of skirts as a kid but had a very edgy, tomboy look in high school. I don't think I would've made the connection if she hadn't brought up our old recess hangouts when we ended up in the same pod of desks lol

So does it happen irl but the way manga/anime does it often feels unrealistic and forced.

last edited at Mar 2, 2024 12:08PM

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Keep liking childish stuff as a teen ==> Get hot date with your high school crush

You don't joke with destiny in Japanese manga. It's written in the Book of Fate that these two belong together and the world will keep pushing them towards each other until they realize it.

joined Aug 21, 2017
  • Dismissive childhood friend
  • Seated next to love interest
  • Childhood trauma from special interest
  • Childhood trauma ameliorated by love interest
  • Love interest shares special interest

I am this close to gambling on the next tropes that will appear

Delinquint%20yuri
joined Sep 14, 2016

Damn Blond girl is forward. Within 3 seconds of introduction she asked her out.

joined May 11, 2020

Rip to the childhood friend it's fate

joined Jan 14, 2020

"What is normal love?"

"Not this!"

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Rip to the childhood friend it's fate

Rarely have I seen a point in a triangle crushed so swiftly by the fates.

420e065dfd1a4d6b3655ec2b8f710afc%20(1)
joined Apr 25, 2020

what lvl of cliche is this, meeting in the past and not remembering and re-encountering in the future?

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

Omg they're even sit next to each other! They're basically married already.

Old%20man%20prof
joined Oct 25, 2022

And just like that, my sympathy for the childhood friend is gone.

joined Dec 28, 2016

What is the 6th chapter talking about? The translation is so strange I couldn't follow what was being talked about.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

ergzay posted:

What is the 6th chapter talking about? The translation is so strange I couldn't follow what was being talked about.

That seemed pretty obvious to me though?

Tomboy friend tried to make her give up on "childish stuff" so she'd not be ostracized in middle-school. But MC failed to understand and kept on loving her stuff.

It's got nothing to do with the translation, but with your reading comprehension (or maybe your comprehension of Japanese school culture).

joined Nov 13, 2022

Re:chapter

Welp. This is just repeating what everyone has been saying, but RIP childhood friend. It was nice knowing ya.

That seemed pretty obvious to me though?

Tomboy friend tried to make her give up on "childish stuff" so she'd not be ostracized in middle-school. But MC failed to understand and kept on loving her stuff.

It's got nothing to do with the translation, but with your reading comprehension (or maybe your comprehension of Japanese school culture).

I agree that the translation was a little confusing at one point.

"You'd end up in the third-string." Is that a British thing? I've never heard the expression, though I can guess the meaning from the context and the picture.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

rusi posted:

"You'd end up in the third-string." Is that a British thing? I've never heard the expression, though I can guess the meaning from the context and the picture.

It's an American idiom for being relegated as a third choice in American Football.

Ie, she says that being out of line would get you to the bottom rung of the class hierarchy.

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

rusi posted:

It's an American idiom for being relegated as a third choice in American Football.

Ie, she says that being out of line would get you to the bottom rung of the class hierarchy.

Yeah, basically benchwarmer. It's a pretty common phrase in sports. The phrase is appropriate for her character but I guess I can understand someone missing it. That alone shouldn't cause too much confusion though. I agree that it's a straightforward chapter.

last edited at Mar 12, 2024 7:02PM

Suisoh1el
joined Jul 14, 2021

First-to-third strings are sports jargon since circa 19th century, based on a more literal medieval saying about spare bow strings. Doesn't appear to be limited to a single country's English.

For social standing, it'd be sports jargon leaking through sportsmen and sport fans into colloquial use, and may be of limited spread outside their circles (not into sports myself, I don't remember encountering it before either), but it also isn't a recent fad or specifically British: urban dictionary (crude language warning), urban dictionary again, reddit examples

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

I do wonder how long it will take for the manga to get a "drama" tag. Or maybe we get the "wholesome" tag. There is still hope!

joined Nov 13, 2022

First-to-third strings are sports jargon since circa 19th century, based on a more literal medieval saying about spare bow strings. Doesn't appear to be limited to a single country's English.

For social standing, it'd be sports jargon leaking through sportsmen and sport fans into colloquial use, and may be of limited spread outside their circles (not into sports myself, I don't remember encountering it before either), but it also isn't a recent fad or specifically British: urban dictionary (crude language warning), urban dictionary again, reddit examples

Thanks for providing the links, and to everyone else who explained this. I now understand that the reason I do not understand this expression is that I spend all the time I could be playing sports instead reading yuri manga.

joined Feb 24, 2023

Yeah dude mocking your crush’s interests in order to “protect” her (basically just conform) vs the girl who encourages and shared said interest with no shame I wonder who’s gonna win

To reply you must either login or sign up.