Forum › Posts by Vaelasu

Vaelasu
joined Jun 15, 2020

With lighter or more unrealistic settings it's easier to maintain the suspension of disbelief. In other words, I'm not expecting much (realism) from those.

I think many people need to broaden their understanding of what realism is. If the existence of chinese people who aren't homophobic takes you out of a story, that's just a personal problem.

Realism isn't just what you've personally witnessed right? It's about what could exist out there

Personally, if an inaccurate depiction of mosquito coils could “take me out of the story,” I’m not very into the story in the first place. That’s just me, though.

If I'm very into the the story in the first place I pay much more attention to worldcrafting, characters, (visual) art details, symbolism etc., which makes it easy for even little mistakes or "mistakes" to take me out of the story. That's just me, though. :)

last edited at Apr 12, 2023 1:38PM

Vaelasu
joined Jun 15, 2020

Noticed the same mistakenly attached mosquito coil. Sadly little details like that often make it impossible for my mind remain "in the story".

On the bigger scale I still enjoy the series, a lot, but there is a growing sense of "many of these things are too good/convenient to really happen in such a traditional/conservative country as China". And yes, I realise it's a huge country with different realities, but still hard to dampen my disbelief while reading.

Well, yes, but very many stories based in Japan have things too good and convenient to actually happen in such an traditional and conservative country.
Or if those stories happened as they are in vast geographical majority of America.
Sometimes you just wanna read about things as they should be, still broadly in the limit of realism, not as how things are.

Agree on all that above. Unfortunately, I get into that... analytic(?) mode easier if the story or characters are realistic and well crafted. This is one of those works.

With lighter or more unrealistic settings it's easier to maintain the suspension of disbelief. In other words, I'm not expecting much (realism) from those.

Really enjoyed the character building for the friend. Lovely contradiction with her calm words and face and the hinted turmoil she feels about her friend's interest in someone else.

last edited at Apr 10, 2023 9:13AM

Vaelasu
joined Jun 15, 2020

Noticed the same mistakenly attached mosquito coil. Sadly little details like that often make it impossible for my mind remain "in the story".

On the bigger scale I still enjoy the series, a lot, but there is a growing sense of "many of these things are too good/convenient to really happen in such a traditional/conservative country as China". And yes, I realise it's a huge country with different realities, but still hard to dampen my disbelief while reading.

Vaelasu
joined Jun 15, 2020

Chapter two. I read the first scene so that husband might have been aware of her interest in women -> purposefully trying to take her thoughts in other direction. Him being a bi-sexual or closet homosexual not impossible either.

So far I've liked, eagerly waiting for continuation.

Vaelasu
joined Jun 15, 2020

First, if this is not a good place to ask, moderators feel free to remove or move.

Context: a lengthy discussion IRL that made me question my prejudice (correct word?, pre conceptions?) of manga with male gay characters/pairs/relationships. Occasionally read "you'll hate it only at first" stories and (for me) non-sensical semi/uke fangirl parodies have left a... bad taste.

So... recommendations about manga with "healthy" gay characters / relationships? Preferably adults, age gap is fine but no adult/teen and student/teacher material.

Vaelasu
joined Jun 15, 2020

A delightful chapter, again.

Vaelasu
joined Jun 15, 2020

Definitely getting more of an artsy romance movie vibe from this than any regular comic/manga, Which is nice change of pace.

Similar thoughts after reading the available 6 chapters in a row. One of the series I'd prefer to read in a graphic novel format. Not complaining though, if this format allows the artist(s) to keep the standard of their art.

It's propably the appearance of scooter but I also had flash backs to reading Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō decade(s) ago. :)

Vaelasu
joined Jun 15, 2020

A quick question. Are urara and labyrinth town based on Japanese myths / folk tales or author's own creations? I'm familiar with most of the other concepts seen so far (chapter 17) but not with urara.

(Sorry for not searching myself nor reading the thread, trying to avoid spoilers.)

Vaelasu
joined Jun 15, 2020

Not vague enough

Seems right, though the series is much older than I remembered. Thank you.

Note to self: memorize "idiot couple" tag.

Vaelasu
joined Jun 15, 2020

Older manga series, at least few volumes long, comedy. Some kind of entertainment business, young (irritating) main couple filled with "but we're both girls", "both not realising other person's feelings" etc. doubts.

The series also had a side couple. Adults, photographer and clothes model(?). Their work relation difficult, photographer thinking it's because the other one is in love -> unprofessional looking photos. Looking for the comedic "confrontation" scene where the reason for steamy/shaky photos is revealed to be photographer and/or photographer's shaky hands / horny imagination.

Sorry vague memories only, any help appreciated. :)

last edited at Jun 15, 2020 6:13AM