Forum › The Heroine's Capture Target is... discussion

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

I’m so down for this collection.

Also this premise is basically an alt path of Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady.

last edited at Nov 2, 2020 11:58PM

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

The third story... has screen reader support...?

joined Jan 8, 2016

Wow, that was perfect. This whole theme seems amazing and my only regret is that each one isn't a whole series.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Its great but- what was the point in the sudden Isekai pop up? It had zero baring and played no part in the story?
It all worked perfectly fine without mentioning it. In fact it just needlessly comlicates a simple, good, story idea.

Seemed very odd to suddenly just throw in a couple of irrelevant panels that are like 'btw its Isekai'.

If you removed the couple of bubbles that mention the idea the rest all plays out the same-

2 girls in a fantasy setting are in love- to get the prince to annul his engagment with one of them, the other sutbley gets his attention without blatantly encouraging it so he will cast the first girl aside in favor of her- turn the arrogant fool down, and then they can both run off together back to her kingdom.

There is just no need or impact of the 'btw Isekai' ?

last edited at Nov 3, 2020 12:53AM

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

Villainess x heroine stories are like my guilty pleasure lol. They're often cliched and melodramatic but something about them just makes me melt - especially when they're super fluffy like this one.

Its great but- what was the point in the sudden Isekai pop up? It had zero baring and played no part in the story?
It all worked perfectly fine without mentioning it. In fact it just needlessly comlicates a simple, good, story idea.

I'm pretty sure that's just the theme of the anthology. Maybe the author had already planned out the story before going "oh shit, this is an isekai anthology!" and added that part it. I actually agree with you, this would've worked just fine without it.

Ankou%20128x128
joined Oct 23, 2018

Seemed very odd to suddenly just throw in a couple of irrelevant panels that are like 'btw its Isekai'.
If you removed the couple of bubbles that mention the idea the rest all plays out the same.

So I wasn't the only one who thought of that. It really came out of nowhere without any need whatsoever.

However, I know mangaka will tend to jump on what popular (or be forced to by a publisher) at the moment for dumb reasons. I still despise the fact DanMachi's original title could have been simply "Familia Myth" rather than getting the OreImo treatment. (Still waiting for that stupid trend to died off; unfortunately, it seems to be resurging these past couple of years with the rise of Isekai series. sigh)

Anyway, pointless (forced?) isekai reference for the sake of forcing isekai setting for the sake of isekai.

Don't%20forget%20the%20best%20girl
joined Jul 22, 2018

cliché

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

@Norainhere the anthology seems to be called 'I'm the Villainess, but the Heroine's Trying to Capture Me?! Yuri Villainess Anthology'.

At least going by the translated title, that doesn't seem to require Isekai at face value, just a heroine girl going after a girl who could be considered a villainess?

But maybe you are right- does 'heroine' and 'villainess' is the context its used for these stories, imply for-knowlege of a character who can see the whole thing from an external view (as someone from another world who played the game or whatever) and thus 'knows' the villainesses status as such? and their own role as heroine?

Did that make any sense lol? I mean like in 'I Favor the Villainess' (which I love btw) - in the actual world, though claire is maybe not popular with some people, during the story, she is never considered a 'villain' by anyone. She only has that status because Rei tells us she does in the games setting.

So it's either that, and the anthology is Isekai focused, or its as @StahnAileron suggests, and they had to/wanted to throw it in because Isekai are popular.

last edited at Nov 3, 2020 1:19AM

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

cliché

In what way? Ignoring the irrelevant isekai mention.

Is there a single other story on the site with the same premise? Or even close?

joined Jun 12, 2015

Meh.

kanra-chan Uploader
Super.danganronpa.2.full.1458604
White Sun Scans
joined Jul 15, 2020

The third story... has screen reader support...?

Wait, that's an oopsie on our part lmao. Fixing!

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

@Norainhere the anthology seems to be called 'I'm the Villainess, but the Heroine's Trying to Capture Me?! Yuri Villainess Anthology'.

At least going by the translated title, that doesn't seem to require Isekai at face value, just a heroine girl going after a girl who could be considered a villainess?

When they say "Capture", that's a term in dating sims where you get together with the target you're pursuing, which is why I assumed this was an isekai villainess anthology. That said, going by the anthology's description and the names of the other chapters here, it's hard to say - I could be wrong and it might just be a villainess anthtology.

From what I understand, the whole "villainess" thing comes from old dating sims aimed at girls. There was often a villainess character that acts as the female main character's rival/bully. These games often followed a set of tropes, such as it usually takes place in a medieval European setting, there's royalty (often princes as love interests), lots of romantic and political drama, broken engagements, stuff like that. A common cliché is the one shown here, where the villainess is the fiancée of the prince, the prince doesn't like her and instead goes after the main character, the villainess gets jealous of her and bullies/tries to kill her, things like that. And in the end the villainess ends up getting executed or exiled for her crimes.

As you can probably imagine, a lot of people like messing with that concept. That's why there's a lot of isekai stories (often webnovels) involve a person from the real world somehow ending up in the dating sim world, where they proceed to change the original plot. Oftentimes if it's a yuri author the main character ends up replacing main protagonist (as in I Favor the Villainess) or the villainess (as in HameFura), and end up creating a "yuri end" that wasn't in the original game by getting together with a girl. A lot of the time these end up being pretty self-indulgent and cliche, which is why I called them my guilty pleasure lol

last edited at Nov 3, 2020 1:40AM

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

Neat story. The isekai angle's definitely forced, since the heroine and villainess being childhood friends is already enough of a connection to justify their feelings, but god forbid people actually have complex emotions and the potential for change instead of being sock puppets for reincarnated gamers from Le Mighty Nippon. Even the author didn't seem to want to put it in, but I guess you gotta stick with the theme and cater to the demographics and genre conventions, tokenistic as it might be. It almost makes you imagine readers sweating as they desperately try to figure out how to classify the story (because the yuri part clearly wasn't enough), and then heaving huge sighs of relief when they see the words 'reincarnation' and 'otome game' pop up.

Regardless, the characters have enough style and big clit energy to make a fairly standard setup work. This is only the first chapter, so I'm hoping they started off with something generic and familiar to ease readers in and set up more creative and subversive stories further on.

732535__safe_anthro_vinyl%20scratch_octavia_dj%20pon-dash-3_octavia%20melody_artist-colon-theyoungreaper1
joined Mar 14, 2016

cliché

In what way? Ignoring the irrelevant isekai mention.

Is there a single other story on the site with the same premise? Or even close?

Yes, actually. Several.

My Next Life as a Villainess and I Favour the Villainess

I think it's quite unfair to derisively refer to it as cliché for something as broad as "girl is interested in the girl who's supposed to be her love rival". There is no similarity in any way between the actual substance of this story compared to IFtV. You could lump together 95% of the manga on this site under five such broad premises, but the execution is what makes a story, not the premise.

Palucina1
joined May 26, 2020

Wouldn't it be great if you could actually do this in an otome game?

I could just imagine the other characters saying, "wait, that's illegal!"

Anyway, even with the familiar setup, this story has style. Nancy cutting the Prince to pieces, with the most benign smile on her face, just tickled me.

Shamimomo%20hug
joined Jan 23, 2016

Nice

D4d93d7defd05c7fbedff90b7d82fc4e
joined Sep 26, 2020

There seems to be a large discussion up there, but I'm just here for my long awaited Villaness x Heroine yuri.

joined May 25, 2020

EHHMM.... more pls

joined Jul 8, 2019

Yet another one thay would justify the creation of a just according to keikaku tag

Rsz_0642646002c7e23a9b0c50ea92cc124d_2
joined Jul 26, 2020

I'd love it if there were more translated isekai yuri novels, but tbh I don't really see enough of them for me to feel anywhere near tired of it. Is there any sites that host any Japanese web novels anyone knows of? I usually read Chinese web novels from jjwxc and there's toooons of yuri isekai-adjacent novels but I genuinely don't think I've seen many Japanese isekai ones that aren't gender bender.

P.S. I call the Chinese ones isekai-adjacent cause their term for it is transmigration, which is essentially the same concept as isekai, just with some other features. Like, instead of being transported into a game, they would be transported into a novel and instead of getting some weird powers or cheat skills or whatever, they have a thing called a "system."

Img_20190107_054630
joined Jan 26, 2019

I'm going to enjoy this anthology !

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

@Swag Wagon Both of which I have read and have almost ZERO similarities to this story? Beyond the afore mentioned isekai mention that like I said earlier - has ZERO impact on this mangas story. It was just a sudden throw away mention in 2 or 3 bubbles that was irrelevant to the story. Pretend that those few words are not in this story because they didnt effect ANYTHING about the story.

Otherwise, this story has zero similarity to those 2 stories. If on the last page of lord of the rings frodo suddenly said
"Btw Im Isekai MC lol!" The end. That would NOT suddenly make it the same as those 2 stories! It would just be a stupid page you ignored.

THIS story was -

2 girls who were childhood friends, in a fantasy setting, are in love- to get the prince to annul his engagment with one of them, the other sutbley gets his attention without blatantly encouraging it so he will cast the first girl aside in favor of her- turn the arrogant fool down, and then they can both run off together back to her kingdom. The end.

My Next Life as a Villainess and I Favour the Villainess HAVE ZERO similarity to that. Beyond yuri fantasy.

last edited at Nov 3, 2020 12:49PM

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

I will echo the sentiment that the ending that basically says "oh btw the reason I'm so cunning is because I played videogames in my previous life" feels extremely out of place, anthology or not.

Untitled-1
joined Nov 14, 2016

What a great idea for an anthology, I love these stories. Also the art was great in this first chapter.

To reply you must either login or sign up.