Forum › Posts by StahnAileron

StahnAileron
Ankou%20128x128
joined Oct 23, 2018

I'm content with this ending. The lead up to it was pretty, "Huh?" with all the extra characters showing up. The last chapter was on-brand for the series. All the rushed development to get to it was kinda out of left-field: it's basically a Slice of Life Comedy series with any drama condensed and shoved in at the end to kickstart some conflict to reach a climax (no pun intended) before coming (again, not intended) to a resolution.

I had a similar feeling with Ayakashiko's ending, though that one felt far more forced compared to this one. I general blame the publishers first these days before I blame the authors. Although... Was this self-published or print-published? I've forgotten...

last edited at May 14, 2023 8:07PM

Ankou%20128x128
joined Oct 23, 2018

HECK YEAH! (Actual) Progress! No "status quo is god" misunderstandings/twists! All in 20 chapters.

StahnAileron
Ankou%20128x128
joined Oct 23, 2018

Well, nice to see I'm not the only one reacting to the 7 years (in-series) passing by.

last edited at Mar 27, 2021 3:41AM

StahnAileron
Liberty discussion 29 Nov 20:28
Ankou%20128x128
joined Oct 23, 2018

Honestly reading this series feels like waking up in the middle of the night to pee, hurrying to the bathroom and ramming your toe into the corner of a table leg, only to stumble backwards and step on a bunch of legos, and at that point you just start peeing yourself. It just feels really bad.

This is a vivid and remarkably believable scenario...

I feel like Maki's just gonna show up later looking like a guy after her "Is it because I'm a 'girl', right?" line.

Ankou%20128x128
joined Oct 23, 2018

Its great but- what was the point in the sudden Isekai pop up? It had zero baring and played no part in the story?
It all worked perfectly fine without mentioning it. In fact it just needlessly comlicates a simple, good, story idea.

Seemed very odd to suddenly just throw in a couple of irrelevant panels that are like 'btw its Isekai'.
If you removed the couple of bubbles that mention the idea the rest all plays out the same.

So I wasn't the only one who thought of that. It really came out of nowhere without any need whatsoever.

However, I know mangaka will tend to jump on what popular (or be forced to by a publisher) at the moment for dumb reasons. I still despise the fact DanMachi's original title could have been simply "Familia Myth" rather than getting the OreImo treatment. (Still waiting for that stupid trend to died off; unfortunately, it seems to be resurging these past couple of years with the rise of Isekai series. sigh)

Anyway, pointless (forced?) isekai reference for the sake of forcing isekai setting for the sake of isekai.

StahnAileron
Ankou%20128x128
joined Oct 23, 2018

Man, I'm glad it's the author pressing for the ending and not the publisher forcing a milk-the-cow-to-death scenario or forcing a rushed/last-minute ending.

I find it nice when an author has an ending planned/in mind (regardless of whether I like it or not; as long as it makes sense.) I've read a few series where there was no real reason for them to continue past a certain point because it wound up being a long, slow, painful roll downhill. (The main plot gets concluded but they, be it the author or publisher, need/want to milk the cow to death. They might beat the dead horse along with it.)

Let's end with a bang! (Not euphemistically ^_^; This is not that kind of series. Leave that for the doujinshi ^_~)

StahnAileron
Ankou%20128x128
joined Oct 23, 2018

I'm afraid that the new characters were made for the sake of just having new chars. Especially considering that the 3rd pair (Author/Editor) have little to nothing to do with the first two pairs. The first set of chars were inter-related (even if they the pairing didn't have much cross-interaction, relatively speaking); this new 4th pair is only superficially related to the 3rd pair (Heke's mention) so far. I do hope the mangaka proves me wrong, though.

Call me weird, but I like it when the characters in a series actually have something to do with each, even if it is a slice-of-life series. There's little to no connection between the pairing, so it just feels almost like a disjointed collection of stories at this point. I understand the point and focus of each chapter is on the featured pair, but I'm starting to feel this is being taken to the extreme. At this point, I think it'd be a better idea to just make a series for each pairing. Otherwise, I don't really take well to new characters coming out of the blue in the middle of a series without some build up.

I blame Love Hina's Kanoko for my skepticism about new chars showing up out of nowhere; I find it tends to be because the author ran out of ideas for the current cast and needed a new plot/scenario RIGHT NOW. I also dislike unjustified cast expansion/explosion ever since the cluster that was Nanoha StikerS. Or at least how they handled that.

StahnAileron
Ankou%20128x128
joined Oct 23, 2018

... I'm a little disappointed that a new pairing has been intro'ed without more content and/or some conclusions for the other pairings. The manga is short (per chapter); having 3 pairs was already stretching it in term of content being spread apart. Now we have 4... sigh

I'm fine with the pairing in and of itself, but you might as well make each pairing into it's own sub-series at this point. I was already starting to forget the continuity for each set because we could go for chapters before revisiting a pair. I think it would work as a daily manga, but the current timing between chapters and the chapters between starring pairs makes it a bit hard to remember what happened when to whom. (Though that might be my age kicking me in the head...) Unless you marathon the series.

StahnAileron
Ayakashiko discussion 02 Sep 13:58
Ankou%20128x128
joined Oct 23, 2018

sigh Another slice-of-life series cut short I'm guessing. It was a nice relaxing read. I'll miss this one. The ending felt pretty abrupt. I'm fine with it; just felt like it came out of nowhere.

Ankou%20128x128
joined Oct 23, 2018

I feel like we'd need a COVID-19 tag for future reference. Otherwise, the context for this would be lost eventually.

Ankou%20128x128
joined Oct 23, 2018

Am I the only one wishing/hoping that the "2021 movie announcement" at the end was real and not just in-story fluff?

StahnAileron
Ankou%20128x128
joined Oct 23, 2018

As I understand it, golf in Japan is pretty expensive due to the amount of (flat) land needed, something they are sorely lacking that can be used for other (more productive) things.

I was stationed in Japan once at a base that had a 9-hole course. I was told one of the best and fastest ways to make some Japanese friends was to invite some to play golf on the base. Mostly because (A) it would be cheaper and (B) they would actually get to play. I think I was told that courses in Japan could get backed up, so you would have to book time (far) in advance to guarantee play time. (This was in Kanagawa Prefecture. Yokohama was 30-minutes away by train, Tokyo about 90, so I could see that being the case.)

Anyway, pretty sure the pricing is just artistic license in play to make this somewhat believable given the cast. (Or that was off-season pricing or something along those lines. shrug)

StahnAileron
Ankou%20128x128
joined Oct 23, 2018

The first chapter has Tsutsuji as Kida and ch4 names her as Honda Tsutsuji. Which is the correct reading of her name?