Forum › Posts by bosto

bosto
Liberty discussion 11 Sep 15:54
joined Dec 8, 2019

It's hilarious that Tsucchi's "confession" last chapter was actually just a translation error, but we were all like, "yes that tracks for this car-crash of a story."

joined Dec 8, 2019

The story continues at a slow-but-steady clip and I'm fairly confident will have a good resolution, but "A new semester of Don't Ask, Don't Tell" may just take the cake as the most unpleasant chapter title for a yuri manga ever.

last edited at Sep 8, 2022 12:08AM

joined Dec 8, 2019

Last page of chapter two, in case anyone missed it.

Excellent catch -- I missed that

joined Dec 8, 2019

Rarely have I felt such a gut punch at the end of a chapter compared to this one. Part of me wishes there was another chapter, but part of me also thinks there's no happy ending to be had in a single chapter here (or at least none that would feel earned) and is content to leave it as it is. I really love this author, though -- I'm looking forward to more of their other stuff.

bosto
joined Dec 8, 2019

I love the last page -- implying that Akira shows Miku her high school photo at some point, sending us off with the assurance they do indeed get closer, without telling us outright.

EDIT: looks like this is actually the first part of a two-shot; still like the last page but not complaining we're getting more!

last edited at Feb 2, 2022 7:30PM

bosto
School Zone discussion 14 Dec 02:58
joined Dec 8, 2019

Yeah, that’s a pretty shitty thing to do to your sister. Hiiragi owes Tsubaki a pretty massive apology. I could be mistaken, but it looks like Tsubaki passed on the elite school too (unless that’s the one that they’re at but seems not to be given Yokoe’s study habits). So she kept her sister from attending a better school, even though she was secretly taking an additional exam anyways, so why bother?

Yeah, we see on page 230 the prestigious school Tsubaki got into that Hiiragi apparently intentionally bombed was "Seirin Academy High School", whereas the main cast, including Tsubaki, all attends Nishitaga high school (incidentally, in chapter 79 we learned Kishiya-san attends Seirin Academy University -- and, on the bonus page, that it is selective [side note: this is a nice reference to A Kiss and a White Lily, where the main setting is the high school Seiran Academy, which also has an attached university]).

Call Hiiragi uncommunicative all you want and I'll agree, but setting Tsubaki up with the best prep school in the region was her way of showing that she actually cares about Tsubaki. She's clearly the type that hates talking about her own feelings and would rather hold a grudge for years than clear it up by talking about it. I'm sure you also know people like that. She also may be very smart but has no idea how other people work, pretty much the opposite of Kaname in that way.

I was originally thinking this was Hiiragi's idea -- get Tsubaki to go to a great high school without her -- and also her reason for the secrecy, but if that's the case, why wouldn't Hiiragi tell Tsubaki about the ruse before she turned down Seirin Academy? What was the point of going through the rigamarole of pretending to apply to a school so Tsubaki would as well if she was just going to let Tsubaki turn that school down when Tsubaki got in but Hiiragi didn't?

joined Dec 8, 2019

I know you're supposed to (publicly) forswear romance if you're an idol, but Wanko is going to be a voice actress who plays an idol. I didn't realize the culture extended that far

bosto
School Zone discussion 02 Oct 14:35
joined Dec 8, 2019

oh damn, I just saw there were only Kanji in there and assumed it was Chinese.

bosto
School Zone discussion 02 Oct 13:41
joined Dec 8, 2019

Anybody know what the Chinese text on page 11 says? Also, I assume this means Yokoe is half Chinese half Japanese?

bosto
Liberty discussion 15 Aug 13:41
joined Dec 8, 2019

I'm still rather dumbfounded (although at this point I shouldn't be) that apparently the writer wants us to sympathize with Liz's dilemma of being torn between Maki and her ex, and to see Liz's popularity being OK with the lesbian revelation as being a good thing.

And loath as I am to speculate about that stupid cliffhanger, it seems likely that Sumire has some sort of revelation that will break Liz's heart and send her back to Maki.

Rarely have I read or seen any work of art where I had such a clear sense of what the creator wanted me to think and feel about the fictional characters and events while I absolutely did not think or feel that in any way, shape, or form.

What's crazier even still is that Liz is pretty clearly a self-insert for Kitta Izumi. This whole thing is basically her saying "Yes, I'm a selfish asshole, and yes, I have issues that will bite you in the ass if you get close to me, but you MUST cheer for me because I am a HEROINE breaking barriers for lesbians EVERYWHERE. Or, at least, I fantasize about being one, which is JUST AS NOBLE, and therefore I deserve a doormat-chan to walk all over."

bosto
Liberty discussion 15 Aug 10:41
joined Dec 8, 2019

L O L

bosto
School Zone discussion 10 Aug 18:57
joined Dec 8, 2019

This series just feels like it was born to be adapted into a comedy anime. I think it really would be great!

joined Dec 8, 2019

This is so unique. A quiet, introspective, sad story told through vignettes progressing backwards through the lives of our main characters. I've read a few others ("Haru and Midori" and "Run Away With Me, Girl" come to mind) that have a similar tone, but none with such grand, era-spanning storytelling ambitions. I'm so excited to read the rest!

joined Dec 8, 2019

This has the makings of something really special.

joined Dec 8, 2019

A story about an adult who's already out at the beginning is sufficiently rare and refreshing that I'm willing to suspend my hatred of landlords while reading this one. It helps that Kitano is somewhat of an airhead who seems to have stumbled into being a landlady rather than consciously looking to extract passive income from working people simply by owning capital.

last edited at Jul 30, 2021 2:30AM

bosto
joined Dec 8, 2019

I could be wrong, but I think this should be in the "Sweet Little Devil" series (https://dynasty-scans.com/anthologies/sweet_little_devil), not the "Sweet Little Devil (Series)" series (https://dynasty-scans.com/series/sweet_little_devil_series). The former seems to be for the entire "Sweet Little Devil" volume the author published, which includes the main "Sweet Little Devil" series along with a few other one-shots, and the latter seems to just be for the main series, along with a couple of other smaller chapters from that story not published in the main volume. As this is one of the one-shots in the volume, it should go in the former category, no?

joined Dec 8, 2019

I just want to say that in addition to enjoying the story, I think the scanlators have done a great job with the fun and informative credits pages. Thank you!

bosto
joined Dec 8, 2019

Oh god the last page punches you in the gut and then the message on the credits page somehow punches you even harder. I wish the translator and their erstwhile lover all the best!

joined Dec 8, 2019

@bosto They are fairly similar character architypes I agree- though I dont really mind atm I would probably if they did 10 more lol.

The author might be searching for the right formula by testing/reiterating with web comics before doing one to be serialised- or maybe this is just a basic setup they really like? When we are talking self published stuff there can be multiple valid reasons to make a story- and one is purely for the authors own enjoyment, and anyone else liking it being a bonus.

Fair enough!

joined Dec 8, 2019

So I feel like they're complaining that this author keeps making Yuri, which makes me wonder why they're even here haha

I don't want to fan a flame war, so I won't comment further, but for the record it seems pretty clear what the implication here was.

joined Dec 8, 2019

Gotta say that after the 17th variation on the same theme from this author, it's getting a little stale.

There isn't much similar beyond '2 females of different station' the story/setting and characters differ quite a lot each time.

The archetypes the characters fall into are similar, though you're right not identical. It's always a more powerful larger lady (with a soft side!) and a more unassuming (but unexpectedly spunky!) smaller lady.

None of them (except maybe "Yuki and the Authoress") are serious works, though, so maybe I am being too critical.

joined Dec 8, 2019

Gotta say that after the 17th variation on the same theme from this author, it's getting a little stale.

There isn't much similar beyond '2 females of different station' the story/setting and characters differ quite a lot each time.

Yeah the main common theme with this author is height difference and maybe age difference, which isn't even that present here. So I feel like they're complaining that this author keeps making Yuri, which makes me wonder why they're even here haha

Plus you'd think with how annoyed they sound they would have stopped reading this author's works after like 3rd or maybe 5th time, but here they are complaining about the "17th" time like they're being forced to read it.

Imagine accusing someone of homophobia because they thought an author's style has hitherto been pleasant, but now is a little repetitive.

joined Dec 8, 2019

joined Dec 8, 2019

This just feels... unfinished, even for Takemiya Jin. Like she spent significant time and space doing straight-up expo dumps in both chapters (there was an entire page at the beginning of the 1st one!) like she was setting up a world for her story to take place in, and then it just ends? And the ending wasn't just a twist; it completely lacked any semblance of closure. It felt like the story is just beginning, and we're only just at the point where the central premise has been revealed. It almost seems like she pitched this as a longer piece, got to do two chapters as a trial, but didn't get the green light to go any further, and so we're left with this.

joined Dec 8, 2019

Just caught up and gotta say I'm happy how thing turned out, but I feel bad for Katsuji. Never was anything but good to Youko, and just had the misfortune of being a yuri manga character's airhead boyfriend. RIP to a real one.