Forum › Whispering You a Love Song discussion

joined Apr 6, 2013

are we supposed to feel sorry for her? Because if anything, this chapter just made me roll my eyes.

How to make an unlikable character more likable ? Just give them a tragic story, add a dead loved one in the mix and a promise and boom.

Do we then have to wait some time for that formula to work? Because apparently the effect is not always immediate.

Glad to see that I'm not the only here who doesn't feel a shred of empathy towards these side characters.

This chasing-after-dead-person-dream reveal is just dumb and forced. Now I don't just hate Shiho, I hate the whole fucking band and this dead character whose name I already forgot, because they're fucking dumb and unnecessary.

We could have had a wholesome story about love between two girls. Instead we get this shit.

Jesus, I forgot how stupidly angry this manga makes some of you guys. Like okay you don't like it, I get it, but somehow your dislike has turned into a seething rage you for some idiotic reason feel compelled to inflict on everyone else.

Obviously this type of layered complicated story telling is too high level for you, you should maybe try something a bit more simple and on your level...like Bluey.

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

are we supposed to feel sorry for her? Because if anything, this chapter just made me roll my eyes.

How to make an unlikable character more likable ? Just give them a tragic story, add a dead loved one in the mix and a promise and boom.

Do we then have to wait some time for that formula to work? Because apparently the effect is not always immediate.

Glad to see that I'm not the only here who doesn't feel a shred of empathy towards these side characters.

This chasing-after-dead-person-dream reveal is just dumb and forced. Now I don't just hate Shiho, I hate the whole fucking band and this dead character whose name I already forgot, because they're fucking dumb and unnecessary.

We could have had a wholesome story about love between two girls. Instead we get this shit.

Jesus, I forgot how stupidly angry this manga makes some of you guys. Like okay you don't like it, I get it, but somehow your dislike has turned into a seething rage you for some idiotic reason feel compelled to inflict on everyone else.

Obviously this type of layered complicated story telling is too high level for you, you should maybe try something a bit more simple and on your level...like Bluey.

You're kidding, right? There's nothing "layered" or "complicated" about it. This backstory doesn't even explain why Shiho's a bitch. She was like that before Kyou died, and keeps being so even after her death. No character development whatsoever. That's not layered or whatnot. That's just lazy writing.

All there is to Shiho is that she's obsessed with being number one, and every time she can't, she runs away. She ran away from Kyou because she couldn't beat her at music, and ran away from Aki because she couldn't be her number one in love. That's all there is to Shiho. She's a one-note character. That's why people don't like any of this. It's a pointless storyline about a pointless one-note character. And there's no character development and no progression and nothing.

This backstory did explain why the other members of the band put up with Shiho's bullshit, but that's about it. The problem has always been Shiho herself, and this backstory doesn't change anything about her.

last edited at Aug 23, 2022 1:44PM

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Someone here totally called Kyou being dead several chapters ago. I'm too lazy to go back and find the post, but congrats.

7277b022-9e31-4bec-a22e-b7ad36fb501e
joined Sep 5, 2019

Okay, loved the backstory and all but why is Shiho being a bitch towards Aki then? :0

Nonetheless, Shiho is still one of my liked characters just because I like idiots like her and her stereotype lmao

last edited at Aug 23, 2022 2:02PM

joined Jan 11, 2018

You're kidding, right? There's nothing "layered" or "complicated" about it. This backstory doesn't even explain why Shiho's a bitch. She was like that before Kyou died, and keeps being so even after her death. No character development whatsoever. That's not layered or whatnot. That's just lazy writing.

All there is to Shiho is that she's obsessed with being number one, and every time she can't, she runs away. She ran away from Kyou because she couldn't beat her at music, and ran away from Aki because she couldn't be her number one in love. That's all there is to Shiho. She's a one-note character. That's why people don't like any of this. It's a pointless storyline about a pointless one-note character. And there's no character development and no progression and nothing.

This backstory did explain why the other members of the band put up with Shiho's bullshit, but that's about it. The problem has always been Shiho herself, and this backstory doesn't change anything about her.

Right?! Had this played a part in how she acted sure, but she always acted like this. Like you said this just explains why her band mates tolerate her.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

But the fact that she finally realized that Kyou loved her music because it was more honest and passionate than simply follow the instruction better (for the judges) and not because she felt pity or was being condescending could actually be a good trigger to grow up as a character.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Actually I decided not to be so lazy: https://dynasty-scans.com/forum/topics/15452-whispering-you-a-love-song-discussion?page=51#forum_post_762124

If Kyou is Hajime’s sister, I wonder if it’s fair to assume Kyou is either dead or dying hence Shiho’s intense conviction of being the best before Kyou’s passing or before she passes, leading to her disliking and leaving her former band due to their distractions with love and etcetera which set them behind from what she wanted them to achieve before she thought it was too late.

Well done there.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

I have to agree with the people that say this came from nowhere and is pretty blatant emotional manipulation to make a bitchy character look better. The tone of the chapter just doesn't fit the rest of the series, is like this is from an entirely different series that got mixed up. And what's up with the reveal that Momo was Kyou's girlfriend and not Hajime's?

Also, maybe is just me but I had a hard time recognizing every character in this chapter, they all looked too similar to me.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Well, that was a twist I did not see coming...

Haven't seen any unlikable characters in this series yet.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Also, maybe is just me but I had a hard time recognizing every character in this chapter, they all looked too similar to me.

This too, maybe it's because it's been a month but it was hard to remember who was who. Hell, i thought Kyou was Shio's sister

LaPucelleOnGirls
La%20pucelle%2004
joined Apr 12, 2021

This reach feelings that Bang Dream want to but can`t for reasons

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

Having a band and playing music as a way of honoring someone who passed is a really cool idea though. Romantic spat with Aki aside (or whatever is going on between them) I love how positive the whole band has been, it’s a great way of channeling the love and admiration they all felt in a way that allows Kyou to live on and continue to bring joy into their own lives and the lives of others as well

joined Apr 6, 2013

Wow, you really did not understand a single thing about the chapter huh? This isn't about how Shiho is changing, it's about how she has changed. Everything from Kyou to quiting Aki's band happened "gasp" in the past. The story and Shiho we see now is a person still with insecurities and angst but because of her past making an effort not to quit and the fact she is competing at all when before any adversity was met with running away shows how much she has changed. There was so much character development in one chapter it's quite amazing, and really sad you are so stuck on "She bitch me hate" to not see it.

last edited at Aug 23, 2022 3:17PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

There was so much character development in one chapter it's quite amazing, and really sad you are so stuck on "She bitch me hate" to not see it.

This is a classic example of a mistake I see all the time in the Dynasty forums: someone complains about how the story is written in regard to a character, and the response is a defense of the imaginary human being inside the story, as if the person who is complaining "doesn't like character" rather than the author's narrative strategies concerning that character.

What you call "character development" feels to me like an attempt to rehabilitate a hitherto entirely negative character by grafting on a tragic backstory concerning another character who has barely been mentioned and who we have been given no reason to care about.

joined Jul 17, 2022

I'm guessing there's probably a lot of HajiMomo shippers who got thrown for a loop this chapter (myself included).

Me, I'm the shippers. I've been wondering about that though already, so I've been just hoping it wasn't the case, but here we are

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

I have to re-read this entire vol just to understand what is going on anymore. The pacing feels so off

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

I can't believe that one girl mentioned in passing in some chapter is fucking dead

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

You're being a little dishonest. There was a whole flashback chapter about Shiho and Kyou where it was already shown how much of an influence the latter was on the former. She wasn't some passing mention.

joined Mar 23, 2022

wow I didn't see that coming. now I'm waiting for the author to reveal why she keeps acting like a bitcc with aki despite giving hints that she liked her.

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

You're being a little dishonest. There was a whole flashback chapter about Shiho and Kyou where it was already shown how much of an influence the latter was on the former. She wasn't some passing mention.

1 chapter out of 34+ might as well be in passing, I exaggerated but only a little :P It was mostly a succint way of expressing that this sad revelation doesn't land nearly as well as it might have if we knew this character at least a little better (and I think I'm also as confused as some other commenters about who is who, either due to long break or too many characters or both :P and I'm impressed that people remember some of these characters well enough to ship them, I absolutely forgot about Hajime and clicking through random chapters doesn't refresh my memory too well ).

last edited at Aug 23, 2022 4:44PM

joined Nov 3, 2021

A little thrown by Kyou being dead, only because she showed up at the end of the bonus chapter in volume 5, but the prior theory of her having a terminal illness did make sense even then.

Rereading that chapter, you can see a panel where Momo blushes when Kyou shows up. That and the moment in another prior chapter where Momo glares at Shiho (who apologizes) when discussing who she loves makes sense. So the groundwork was like super subtle, but it was there. Does feel a tad wonky though.

joined Feb 11, 2022

Okay, loved the backstory and all but why is Shiho being a bitch towards Aki then? :0

Probably because she fell in love with her at some point, only to find out that Aki had a crush on someone else.

last edited at Aug 23, 2022 6:01PM

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

Wow, you really did not understand a single thing about the chapter huh? This isn't about how Shiho is changing, it's about how she has changed. Everything from Kyou to quiting Aki's band happened "gasp" in the past. The story and Shiho we see now is a person still with insecurities and angst but because of her past making an effort not to quit and the fact she is competing at all when before any adversity was met with running away shows how much she has changed. There was so much character development in one chapter it's quite amazing, and really sad you are so stuck on "She bitch me hate" to not see it.

You're misunderstanding Shiho's character flaw. It's not like Shiho runs away from adversity out of angst. Her character flaw is her inability to except she's not number one, and the fact she keeps antagonizing Aki and Yori proves she hasn't changed. She antagonizes Aki because Aki chose Yori over her, and antagonizes Yori because she beat her at love. She still can't stand not being the number one. That proves her lack of development. In fact, the whole reason she challenged Aki is because Shiho wants to get back at Yori. She couldn't beat her at love so she'll (try to) beat her at music. Obsessing over being number one is all there is to Shiho. She's a one-note character.

On that note, I'd like to see what she's gonna do if she loses the challenge. Will she run away from the her current band too? It wouldn't surprise me if she does so.

last edited at Aug 23, 2022 6:50PM

Genshin.impact.600.3396601
joined Jul 20, 2016

Seeing users argue back and forth is quite entertaining, but I do understand both sides. On one hand, I'm finding myself bored of this whole drama and I want the main couple back. On the other hand though, I kind of want to see how this whole drama ends because at these point I dont really understand what's going on anymore lol

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Seeing users argue back and forth is quite entertaining, but I do understand both sides. On one hand, I'm finding myself bored of this whole drama and I want the main couple back. On the other hand though, I kind of want to see how this whole drama ends because at these point I dont really understand what's going on anymore lol

I’m far past caring how this drama ends, just as long as it does.

To reply you must either login or sign up.