Forum › Luminous=Blue discussion

Lewdssss
joined Mar 23, 2019

Everything feels so very wrong yet I keep reading this beautiful trainwreck.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Kou burns down King's Landing

Can that place ever take a break?

People throw around the word "toxic" like it's nobodies business it seems (But also like it's everyone's business)

The word toxic hasn't been used once in like 4 pages. I think you might still be stuck on the last chapter.

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

People throw around the word "toxic" like it's nobodies business it seems (But also like it's everyone's business)

The word toxic hasn't been used once in like 4 pages. I think you might still be stuck on the last chapter.

I mean in more general terms, it's frequency of use has skyrocketed lately, I don't think you can deny that.
Hasn't been used once in four pages is a decent enough benchmark I suppose.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I mean in more general terms, it's frequency of use has skyrocketed lately, I don't think you can deny that.

I only mentioned that, because everyone was going on about how toxic Nene was in the last chapter. It's easy to find the word in stories where toxic behaviour happens. Shocking, I know.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

No.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

The first episode of Luminous Blue anime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=81&v=4SSBM2kW9do

Well, not really animated... but the voice acting is great. ^^

Kaseyamada
joined Jun 28, 2019

The first episode of Luminous Blue anime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=81&v=4SSBM2kW9do

Well, not really animated... but the voice acting is great. ^^

Thank you! Loved the voices. Ichijinsha got pros to do it, that's certain.

joined May 29, 2019

being told that smiling doesn't suit you is pretty toxic, that's a rather neat concept to explore

Annotation%202020-07-02%20193122
joined Apr 19, 2018

Amane is really unlucky and I guess too naive

joined Jul 26, 2019

Amane is certainly naive but néné is far from being a nice girl either....

Images
joined Aug 19, 2018

The Toxic Avenger shall solve all!

DschingisKhan
Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

So Nene was deeply damaged by everyone telling her not to smile (the bastards) and Kou is once again the best. Just as I expected.

Now to shoot for the poly end. Come on, make it happen, Iwami.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

(Totally) Spoilers: It won't.

last edited at Jul 29, 2019 6:34AM

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

As far as the "cutting ties for your own good" trope goes, I think this one had one of the better reasons behind it, since the problem was Nene's own terrible feelings-- which she was promptly disturbed by.

Cutting ties with Amane doesn't solve anything. The problem is not Amane to begin with. Nene had issues from before she met Amane. She has to face those issues.

Yes, Amane wasn't the problem, that's what I said. No matter how you look at it Nene's own feelings are the issue here-- she realized them and decided to promptly cut ties with Amane because she figured she'd eventually only end up hurting her in one way or another. From a reader's perspective it's easy to say "that's stupid just sort it out with her", but as far as fictional drama goes I don't think this was bad reasoning.

joined Jul 26, 2016

As far as the "cutting ties for your own good" trope goes, I think this one had one of the better reasons behind it, since the problem was Nene's own terrible feelings-- which she was promptly disturbed by.

Cutting ties with Amane doesn't solve anything. The problem is not Amane to begin with. Nene had issues from before she met Amane. She has to face those issues.

Yes, Amane wasn't the problem, that's what I said. No matter how you look at it Nene's own feelings are the issue here-- she realized them and decided to promptly cut ties with Amane because she figured she'd eventually only end up hurting her in one way or another. From a reader's perspective it's easy to say "that's stupid just sort it out with her", but as far as fictional drama goes I don't think this was bad reasoning.

...and then she promptly failed to follow through with even that and instead ended up rubbing salt into the wound in a weird passive-aggressive limbo relationship until Kou came along.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

...and then she promptly failed to follow through with even that and instead ended up rubbing salt into the wound in a weird passive-aggressive limbo relationship until Kou came along.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I hate it that I have to quote Tony Abbott on this one, but...
Y'know, shit happens sometimes, right?
¯_(ツ)_/¯

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, this was a version of Kdrama Noble Idiocy without the nobility.

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, sure, but that's not what I'm talking about.
I was saying that I'm fine with the explanation given, not that she succeeded in what she wanted to achieve. She probably wanted to cut ties entirely. For the record, I'm not trying to take some moral high ground and give moral advice to fictional characters, I'm not saying what she did was right or wrong, I'm strictly just talking about the writing behind the conflict and how I don't dislike it

last edited at Jul 29, 2019 9:55PM

joined Jul 26, 2016

Doesn't really make a difference since she immediately demonstrated her own inability to actually let go of the relationship. Best laid plans don't really mean squat if you're utterly incapable of realising them.

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

Yes, and if it did work out we probably wouldn't have a story here. I'm not sure why you keep replying to me talking about how Nene's failed to execute her plan when I wasn't talking about that in the first place.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Mostly just an observation of the fact that whether tie-cutting was a sensible course of action to pursue is something of a moot point since she promptly demonstrated herself incapable of actually doing it in the first place.

And then essentially hoisted the responsibility of achieving that onto Amane by trying to drive her away by being gratuitously nasty, which strikes me as rather putting compound interest on an already dick move.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

If I understand correctly, Nene expressly decided to go to the same high school as Amane, even after she had decided to break up with her.

If she really believed that cutting ties was necessary (either for her own psychological well-being or to protect Amane from the consequences of the toxic way their relationship was making Nene feel), she could have gone elsewhere.

So going to the same school and then torturing Amane emotionally negates any positive spin you could put on her decision to break up.

I’m saying that I do dislike the writing choice here, because to make it work (i.e., to make Nene seem more like a conflicted adolescent and less like a sadistic narcissist) we would have needed more and earlier insight into Nene’s decision and more nuance in how she treated Amane (and Kou, for that matter—that business of “flaunt the new relationship in the place that used to be the Special Place with the old girlfriend and where the OG now works” is almost as shitty a thing to do to the new girlfriend as to the old).

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

If she really believed that cutting ties was necessary (either for her own psychological well-being or to protect Amane from the consequences of the toxic way their relationship was making Nene feel), she could have gone elsewhere.

But we couldn't had the story then.

joined Apr 23, 2019

This is so sad, so sad...
They forbid her to smile, she restrained herself to love back the girl who loves her, she broke her heart and made her cry.
And now two photos are competing against each other, their happiness and their sorrow.
Luminous blue is such a good title for this manga...

I'm so sorry for Amane, she suffers the most. It's really not good to break the heart of the girl, leaving her without reasons and explanations. I would hug Amane and comfort her.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

But we couldn't had the story then.

That’s not the point. By setting the breakup between middle-school and high school, the author specifically put that “Nene could have gone elsewhere” option on the table. Hypothetically, the story could take place between first and second year when Kou transferred in, or there could be an explanation that family issues required that Nene attend that particular school. That doesn’t mean the author intends for us to think that Nene intentionally came to that school in order to torture Amane; it could just be slightly sloppy writing. (I.e., the start of high school seemed like a natural break point in the characters’ lives, but the author didn’t think through what that timing might suggest about Nene.)

Just because we generate interpretations by hypothesizing alternative courses of action for a story doesn’t mean “but then we wouldn’t have the story.”

To reply you must either login or sign up.