Forum › We Can't Draw Love discussion

joined Aug 23, 2013

This discussion encouraged me to go look for diversity on gender representation and I found a good article talking about some things related:
As a feminist, how do you feel about how women are portrayed in anime and manga?.
I recommend the reading, It has a lot of good mentions.

Ugh. The more time passes, the more I hate that Friedman woman.

last edited at Oct 30, 2018 4:23AM

57e011396781cdc3308f5aefac880571
joined Feb 19, 2016

Wait they went through all that and still haven't managed to confess?! The stage was set and everything.

I am immensely annoyed

20180327_165604
joined Nov 9, 2017

I understand the frustration but it was cute so I forgive it

A8655427-a1fe-40eb-9c2f-10bb35cb2487
joined Aug 26, 2018

Kano-chin is experiencing gay overload

Don't%20forget%20the%20best%20girl
joined Jul 22, 2018

This discussion encouraged me to go look for diversity on gender representation and I found a good article talking about some things related:
As a feminist, how do you feel about how women are portrayed in anime and manga?.

Phew, I'm not the only one who 'hate' her

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

She summed up her opinions and arguments + many other's perfectly by going "AUUUGGHHHHH" because that's the only thing she can manage.

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

Wait they went through all that and still haven't managed to confess?! The stage was set and everything.

I am immensely annoyed

We all know that it wouldn't be a yuri story if we didn't get at least a "This isn't what it looks like" moment between the tomboy and Kano-chin before the confession. But hey, at least Miyu is, slowly but surely, falling for Kano-chin without even realizing it. This was a "i'm jealous" chapter too, so its all good in my book.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

She summed up her opinions and arguments + many other's perfectly by going "AUUUGGHHHHH" because that's the only thing she can manage.

My problems with her are:
1) She habitually lets ideological preconceptions get in the way of being an effective reader of manga. (Not that I oppose her general ideological leanings—rather the contrary—but in at least three cases I can recall she panned series on grounds that, going by the overt content of the texts, were simply false.)

2) Those ideological tendencies lead her to make broad, usually negative, generalizations that often don’t hold up (as the replies to that thread demonstrate). Hey, if people want to spout off their opinions, that’s what blogs and comment threads are for, so fine. But she uses a surgeon’s scalpel when making distinctions to defend the things she likes and a sledgehammer for arguing against things she doesn’t.

Healing-punchiiiii
joined Jan 21, 2016

I wasn't expecting to see such long comments but I'm happy y'all are so energetic. :>

10/10 for jealous bff trope

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Jan 7, 2018

omg this chapter was so cuuute jealous miyuu is so adorable!! Hagu ( ´∀`)♡♡

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

omg this chapter was so cuuute jealous miyuu is so adorable!! Hagu ( ´∀`)♡♡

Yeah, this one is sort of by the numbers as far as the dynamic of the MCs, but I’m fine with that here. I need some cute in my life these days.

And jealousy triggers for the clueless “straight” friend are common enough, as are misbegotten group dates and tomboy side characters, but the way those elements were combined here didn’t feel overly familiar.

Hogfather
Kouyuri
joined Jan 25, 2016

Chapter 8 was fantastic, but how dare they end it where they did! Dammit!

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

Yeah, as basic as some of these troupes are the way the characters and story are presented makes it seem fresh.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Very well done, they didn't drag the issue and didn't keep it secret

joined Feb 23, 2016

Jealousy is in the air

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

MIYUU YOU ARE GAY!
AND I'M ALMOST DYING BECAUSE OF YOU TWO!

THIS IS THE FACE OF A STUPID GAY VERY GAY BEAN

last edited at Oct 31, 2018 1:17PM

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

This chapter was so precious as the people say.

joined Aug 23, 2013

That was absolutely adorable. Jealousy can turn into a green monster, but this. This is the best that can come out of that feeling.

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

I guess we should be glad Miyu wears her heart on her sleeve

joined Feb 18, 2015

Just kiss the girl already!

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

Filler...?

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Wait, she didn't confront them?! Miyuu is more held back than expected?
But at least she clearly shows what she wants, which is a breath of fresh air.

Holy moly indeed

Tumblr_lxr5uv8e8n1qeoztuo1_500
joined Aug 13, 2018

Also, I found something really interesting too: Skirts No Longer Mandatory For Girls’ Uniforms At A Japanese Middle School. Japan seems to be trying to break gender norms over the past years. "Taiyo Middle School, located in the Kanagawa Prefecture city of Hiratsuka, is notably breaking gender norms to make some progress when it comes to the official school unform. Now in its 71st year, the school will no longer require its female students to wear skirts. They will be able to choose between them or slack pants. The school also wants its female students to understand that the skirt will not be pushed on them as the main uniform–both options will be treated and weighted equally". This really makes me happy.

As someone who loves skirts this makes me sad.

Skulltroop_far_wht
joined Jun 3, 2018

Also, I found something really interesting too: Skirts No Longer Mandatory For Girls’ Uniforms At A Japanese Middle School. Japan seems to be trying to break gender norms over the past years. "Taiyo Middle School, located in the Kanagawa Prefecture city of Hiratsuka, is notably breaking gender norms to make some progress when it comes to the official school unform. Now in its 71st year, the school will no longer require its female students to wear skirts. They will be able to choose between them or slack pants. The school also wants its female students to understand that the skirt will not be pushed on them as the main uniform–both options will be treated and weighted equally". This really makes me happy.

As someone who loves skirts this makes me sad.

Why? Being able to choose is a great thing.

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

They are converging! THEY ARE CONVERGING!!!

To reply you must either login or sign up.