Forum › Unaware His Majesty Is a Girl discussion

joined Apr 10, 2023

Oof, the Little Empress is finally showing her claws. I hope she understands that she is officially declaring war on the Dowager at this moment, and has made off-screen preparations accordingly. :-)

I mean the Dowager's scheme here was already kinda declaring war on her. What was she supposed to do otherwise, let them smear her as a violent abusive empress?

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Oof, the Little Empress is finally showing her claws. I hope she understands that she is officially declaring war on the Dowager at this moment, and has made off-screen preparations accordingly. :-)

I mean the Dowager's scheme here was already kinda declaring war on her. What was she supposed to do otherwise, let them smear her as a violent abusive empress?

That is indeed what she was supposed to do, according to traditional filial piety expectations. Doing so would deescalate the situation, and place the Dowager back on top of the pecking order in the Rear Palace. The fact that the Empress chose to escalate instead means the conflict will likely move from the cold to the hot phase, with assassinations and all that good stuff. I am hoping the Little Empress is prepared for that.

last edited at Jun 15, 2024 4:54PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Good job, emperor! Although sadly her mother still escapes justice for now... Hopefully not for long, though. Once the princess knows she's secure with her general's support, the dowager will no longer have anyone left to manipulate.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

That is indeed what she was supposed to do, according to traditional filial piety expectations. Doing so would deescalate the situation, and place the Dowager back on top of the pecking order in the Rear Palace.

I dunno. There's a few different kinds of status at play here; the "elder generation" status is one, but only one. There's also simple hierarchical status, where the emperor is actually the head of government and the dowager empress is not. And oddly there's gender status, because supposedly the emperor is a guy--something the dowager empress may actually be miscalculating because in her head the emperor is NOT a guy. Traditional China was sexist as hell. Of course the empress doesn't directly collect either of those statuses--but as the emperor's wife she gets some by association.
Gender also comes into play with the filial piety thing--sure, the dowager empress gets some respect for being the emperor's mother . . . but it's not like she's anybody's FATHER, which is where Confucian filial piety really comes into play.

Finally, it would be different if it was the Empress' word directly against the dowager Empress' word. But it isn't--the people making the allegation are a couple of servants--high ranking, high status servants, probably minor nobles in their own right, but it's a bit outrageous that the dowager Empress is making a claim that the Empress' word should be of less import than theirs. In effect, the dowager Empress is not just trying to put the Empress below HER in the pecking order, she's trying to put her below the SERVANTS. Letting that pass doesn't "de-escalate" the situation, it puts her on a path to being the servants' servant eating gruel or some damn thing.

There's also the fact that the Empress hadn't been making a move--she was fine with the dowager Empress being top of the pecking order. She was cheerfully bowing down to her, giving her respect, doing penance over little imagined mistakes. The dowager Empress didn't need to be RESTORED to the top of the pecking order, until she created a crisis by trying to push the Empress far further down it than would be correct for her position.

last edited at Jul 18, 2024 1:23AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.