Forum › Looking Up to Magical Girls discussion

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

Yeah, kinda forgot about Michiko. I think my mind was too focused on just the two of them, and I was hoping Azul would be the first out of just them (or just the first out of the original trio) to figure it out. Really I just want her to finally put 2 and 2 together so I can see her reaction to learning that her wallflower classmate is also her dommy mommy.

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

It's unlikely that the anime would deviate from the manga's portrayal of Magia and Azul. It would be very misleading. We'll definitely get more of Sayo's "love" though, that's for sure. So if that's what you mean, I agree. But I don't think they'd add anime only scenes.

As for the fandom stuff: the early Azul fandom was largely based on her having the first prominent arc in the manga, but after these key moments, the series' direction becomes clearer. The upcoming episodes, including the Kiwi/Utena hotel scene and confession/promise, will solidify the direction of the relationships just like in the manga and the series never looks back after that:

That's what I meant though, because KiwiTena becomes more tangibly canon after that, IF they ever want to milk the Utena x Azul fanservice with extra scenes between them at all, now would be the last time to do it since afterwards the KiwiTena ship definitely sets sail and Azul falls into a more permanent "enthusiastic sub for anyone" role.

But for sure, since Kiwi managed to be endearing from the get-go in the anime, I don't think the anime-onlys will be as split on who Utena should be with as the manga readers were back at the start, so there may just not be much to milk there anyway.

Other characters have their own arcs, UtenaXKiwi develops and becomes a constant, Sayo molds into a leader (really only focused on supporting others and "love"), and Magenta and Sulfur become a pair, etc. They really can't mess with that, the rest of the series depends on these relationships. Plus Kiwi is very popular as well, as you said. It's been a long while since those early days.

Personally, I would love for them to add in some hints of Sulfur's feelings earlier than the manga did, because let's face it; it kinda came out of nowhere in the manga. I still like it and don't mind how it was done, but I think it would be better if they'd laid the groundwork earlier.

last edited at Mar 28, 2024 3:36PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

But for sure, since Kiwi managed to be endearing from the get-go in the anime, I don't think the anime-onlys will be as split on who Utena should be with as the manga readers were back at the start, so there may just not be much to milk there anyway.

We'll have to agree to disagree here, Kiwi is just as insufferable in the anime as she is in the manga.

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Personally, I would love for them to add in some hints of Sulfur's feelings earlier than the manga did, because let's face it; it kinda came out of nowhere in the manga. I still like it and don't mind how it was done, but I think it would be better if they'd laid the groundwork earlier.

That's reasonable, yeah. They could enhance what's already there (or coming). They've done some of that already.

We'll have to agree to disagree here, Kiwi is just as insufferable in the anime as she is in the manga.

That's fair but I believe they were speaking from a general perspective and she seems well received by anime only viewers.

That and also a second season would start with the hotel. As you said, if there are any questions about who the canon pairs are, that's not possible after that. So there's no room there to squeeze anything in without major changes to the material. Plus, it's not like there won't be fan service. We know the manga has a lot of that and people will have their "ships" regardless of canon. It should be fun either way. Hopefully, they do announce a new season soon.

last edited at Mar 28, 2024 4:40PM

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

Yeah but definitely the lean anime-wise is Utena-Azul. (Which tbh makes sense as its the more dynamic and interesting ship until they actually get into Kiwi's character more, which they still haven't nearly 25 chapters later). Where Utena and Kiwi get played more for gags, while Sayo gets the anime LI development and more interesting things to do.

Which, realistically, is what you need to sell a successful love triangle and drive fan engagement So...

last edited at Mar 30, 2024 2:14AM

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

That's fair but I believe they were speaking from a general perspective and she seems well received by anime only viewers.

Yeah I think that's it, Kiwi seems generally loved by the anime fandom. Also as someone who is involved with both the manga & anime I personally think she's adorable haha

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Yeah but definitely the lean anime-wise is Utena-Azul. (Which tbh makes sense as its the more dynamic and interesting ship until they actually get into Kiwi's character more, which they still haven't nearly 25 chapters later).

It doesn't lean that way any more than the manga did. Her connection to Baiser is just as a rival and not special in that regard. Sulfur-Kiwi, Alice-Magenta, Baiser-Michiko, Kiwi-Michiko's GF, etc. Everyone is paired with a counterpart and will have frequent story beats together. Azul's was just first. None are romantic.

Even ignoring Baiser's clear opinions on the issue, Azul wouldn't keep up with all of Baiser's actual tendencies and desires. Azul is fine when "love" is directed to herself but only herself. Baiser's goals are much more complex and far reaching than that. Azul would restrict her. They work best as they are: work rivals. Only Kiwi has fully supported her and actually complements her personality and goals.

Where Utena and Kiwi get played more for gags, while Sayo gets the anime LI development and more interesting things to do. Which, realistically, is what you need to sell a successful love triangle and drive fan engagement So...

Utena and Kiwi's relationship isn't played for gags and has many heartfelt moments throughout the series. Since we've read the manga, we also know the Azul moments in the anime aren't romantic, rather just the start of a friendship. By now it's clear there's been no love triangle in this series. There's no interest in either direction and Utena has stated she's never flirted with or thought of any magical girls in a romantic sense--her villain play is not romantic (remember all of ch. 43). The author's been pretty straightforward.

last edited at Mar 30, 2024 10:43AM

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Rooting for Kiwi and Utena, finally watching the anime, I love, love, love it.

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

I'd heard about this manga being sussy, but this...

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

The amogus gyatt was exquisite. Juicy...

Lojsdbe
joined Sep 16, 2019

Oh you motherfuckers… you got me.

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

You know what I'll give this april fools prank points for truly ridiculous amounts of effort.

Good job

joined Jan 13, 2019

hey wait a minute.

C0947de7-7a05-45f6-b936-7324bb0fa409
joined May 18, 2019

I GOT HELLA BAITED WITH THIS APRIL FOOLS JOKE NAH IM APPALLED WITH MYSELF

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Now this is April 1st scanlation shitposting done right.

joined Jan 3, 2020

Wow. This must have taken an enormous amount of effort!

It took me halfway through it to realize this was an April Fools joke by the scanlators and not by the actual author.

joined Aug 21, 2017

sus

Image%20(2)_kindlephoto-298098283
joined Oct 29, 2023

Amogus

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

The sussiest chapter so far, this is incredible and deserves it's places between the original volumes lol

I bet somewhere in Japan someone is already working on the Hokuto no Ken parody too

joined Apr 1, 2018

joined Mar 11, 2020

y'all mfers got me. dangit

cakeEnthusiast
Capture
joined Mar 2, 2019

I'm aware of the date but somehow always manage to fall for it. But dang, even took it a step up making it full color. I give a standing ovation.

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

Amogus is officially funny again.

Qbe6q6nw4kw
joined Oct 17, 2016

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣀⡀⠤⠤⡤⠤⣀⣀⡀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⡠⢔⠲⠈⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⡸⠀⠀⠈⣿⣿⣦⡀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡠⠂⡡⠄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠀⠀⢇⠀⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⣷⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡰⢁⠄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⠀⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠎⢀⣡⠴⠒⠈⠉⠉⢉⣩⣿⣶⣦⣄⡀⠀⡆⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⣴⠉⠀⢀⠖⠉⠉⠙⠿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣼⡀⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢻⣿⣄⣴⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠙⣿⣿⣿⡿⠿⠛⠁⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡹⠛⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⡔⠈⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡠⠊⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⠀
⠀⠀⢀⠔⠋⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡜⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⠀
⠀⠠⡃⢠⡤⠤⣀⣀⣀⡀⠀⠀⠀⢣⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠇⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⠀
⠀⠀⠑⢼⣧⣀⣴⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣦⣄⠇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⠀⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⡇
⠀⠀⠀⣼⢠⠀⠈⠍⠉⠛⠛⠛⠛⠛⠃⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⡇⢠⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⢇
⠀⠀⠀⡏⠈⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣸⣶⣤⣷⣶⣿⣿⣿⠏⠀
⠀⠀⢸⠇⢀⠀⣀⣀⣀⣀⣀⣀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡟⠉⠃⠀⠀
⠀⠀⢸⠀⡇⠮⣀⣀⣤⣤⣭⣽⣿⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⡇⠰⠐⠲⠾⠿⠿⠿⠿⠟⠛⠛⠋⠀⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⢸⢁⠇⡔⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠏⠸⠈⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀
⢸⠀⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣴⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠇⠀⠀
⠀⠑⠢⠤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠒⣄⣀⠠⠶⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠿⠋⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡜⢠⠃⠀⠀⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠿⠟⠋⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠰⠁⠈⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣶⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠐⠒⠒⠂⠈⠉⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

joined May 10, 2021

I can't believe we deserved such quality shitposting.

To reply you must either login or sign up.