Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

Couple_under_the_stars
joined Nov 7, 2022

Mitsuki's a natural talent is having rizz, but Aya shows that purpose and effort pay off as well.

Patiently waiting for the rain to end.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Patiently waiting for the rain to end.

It's still raining.

D5aad09a-7f7c-4c16-aad1-2b0b94587149
joined Nov 13, 2022

I honestly have never looked at a human person and gone "Wow, she's just like a cat." Or "He reminds me of a puppy!" But I see this all the time in manga. Maybe all these manga characters have more imagination than me...

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

What a way to get caught... :D

Aoi%20nagisa%20-%20s
joined Aug 17, 2012

Love the way Narita shoves his way in at the end lol

joined Jun 23, 2017

It took me way too long to realize Koga and the girl with the twin-tails where the same .-.

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

I honestly have never looked at a human person and gone "Wow, she's just like a cat." Or "He reminds me of a puppy!" But I see this all the time in manga. Maybe all these manga characters have more imagination than me...

really? ive been called a puppy half my life lol

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Yeah, its typically an energy and personality thing.

Watanabe-_
joined Jun 10, 2023

I wouldn't usually think of Mitsuki having dog energy, but an Akita doesmake sense for her given how stubborn they both are LMAO
and welcome back Narita my boi; I love that panel gag. I really hope with all this talk about "Onii-san and Mitsuki being the same, and more people start putting that two and two together, that anyone brings up that Aya had a legit crush on Onii-san, snd if she thinks of Mitsuki as the same person... Like c'mon, someone, someone put this into words!! Mao and Chizuru better not join Narita's cheer squad in the background and not say anything. Those two are never gonna do anything about it alone!!

Cdc4f8204600edbf52fb0f34f39b246a~2
joined Jun 27, 2018

Ya know this chapter reminds me of the dude friends from “Handsome Girl and Sheltered Girl” there was even a panel with a doggo wallpaper background

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Plot twist: @beeaggro is actually a 4-year old shiba inu. >__>

Suisoh1el
joined Jul 14, 2021

Plot twist: @beeaggro is actually a 4-year old shiba inu. >__>

dog

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

I honestly have never [interacted with] a human person and gone "Wow, she's just like a cat." Or "He reminds me of a puppy!" But I see this all the time in manga. Maybe all these manga characters have more imagination than me...

Perhaps it's a cultural thing. Personally, I've never heard anyone compare a person with pets in my life.

Aoi%20nagisa%20-%20s
joined Aug 17, 2012

I honestly have never [interacted with] a human person and gone "Wow, she's just like a cat." Or "He reminds me of a puppy!" But I see this all the time in manga. Maybe all these manga characters have more imagination than me...

Perhaps it's a cultural thing. Personally, I've never heard anyone compare a person with pets in my life.

In the UK, comparisons to animals are usually negative - saying a girl is a dog would be... not nice. So it's probably a cultural thing.

Suisoh1el
joined Jul 14, 2021

Perhaps it's a cultural thing.

Japan is indeed passionate about it. More recently, they mapped personality types - especially that of your partner - to animals (a cat person, a dog-like boyfriend, etc.), and before that there was categorizing facial features specifically (e.g. dog-faced). Telling somebody they're like a certain animal can also just mean they're cute.

Worldwide, you can compare somebody's behaviour to that of some animal (mad as a hornet, a dog in the manger. lazy as a bear, eat or look like a pig), be given a pet name after a shared trait or vague resemblance (puppy, tiger, chipmunk, conejito, chaton, Mausebär), offend by calling somebody an animal that has negative traits associated with it (in English you can even verb animals: chicken, rat, leech, ape, bug...), and notice similarities between pets and their owners.

last edited at Mar 24, 2024 7:54PM

Tail_nap_by_twokinds-dc7pz78
joined Aug 11, 2016

Now that the secret is out she has no excuse to not wear her full gear when they hang out together. They will feel the full force of her awesomeness!

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

In the UK, comparisons to animals are usually negative - saying a girl is a dog would be... not nice. So it's probably a cultural thing.

Well, you wouldn't call her "a dog", that would imply an insult about her looks, same in the US. Comparing her to a puppy, OTOH, or drawing comparisons with specific breeds, is less "looks like a dog" and more of a cute personality thing.

last edited at Mar 24, 2024 11:08PM

Aizawa-san
joined May 25, 2018

Nobody cares, Narita.
Nobody cares.
No one.

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

Now that the secret is out she has no excuse to not wear her full gear when they hang out together. They will feel the full force of her awesomeness!

Yes please! I had a feeling these two would be fine with her piercings and tattoo when they found out. Now Mitsuki just needs the courage to show them her full 'casual mode'.

And Mitsuki looks particularly nice in this chapter. Like the top right on page 3. Her hair looks longer, her glasses are off, and the sharp shoulders and slim fit of her shirt all combine into a really good look for her.

007b
joined Jun 12, 2014

For reference, Akita dogs are known for being loving and loyal to their family and close friends while being aloof with strangers. That's probably the meaning that Aya was going for

last edited at Mar 25, 2024 6:25AM

joined Apr 10, 2023

Oh no, now everyone knows Mitsuki is in the Yakuza!

Lojsdbe
joined Sep 16, 2019

Japan is indeed passionate about it. More recently, they mapped personality types - especially that of your partner - to animals (a cat person, a dog-like boyfriend, etc.), and before that there was categorizing facial features specifically (e.g. dog-faced). Telling somebody they're like a certain animal can also just mean they're cute.

Worldwide, you can compare somebody's behaviour to that of some animal (mad as a hornet, a dog in the manger. lazy as a bear, eat or look like a pig), be given a pet name after a shared trait or vague resemblance (puppy, tiger, chipmunk, conejito, chaton, Mausebär), offend by calling somebody an animal that has negative traits associated with it (in English you can even verb animals: chicken, rat, leech, ape, bug...), and notice similarities between pets and their owners.

The dog-faced thing is unintentionally hilarious to me, just because of the fact that a term that would probably be complimentary in Japan would almost certainly be considered fighting words within the context of the English-speaking world. Language is fun like that.

Also, it does seem like animal comparisons in English are usually more particular. It’s not “you’re just like a dog,” but something like, “you’re as loyal as a dog.” We note the feature we want to highlight first to avoid accidentally making any unflattering remarks.

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

I think it's a bit much to claim that it happens "worldwide", unless you've actually studied on this?

The reason I specifically used "pet" rather than "animal" in my comment was because in my country I've only heard of people being compared to animals in a derogatory way (pig, chicken etc.), as you and others mentioned. If I heard someone talking about dog or cat energy I'd think they've probably been influenced by US (or Japanese) media.

Also, it does seem like animal comparisons in English are usually more particular. It’s not “you’re just like a dog,” but something like, “you’re as loyal as a dog.” We note the feature we want to highlight first to avoid accidentally making any unflattering remarks.

To me "you're as loyal as a dog" also seems insulting lol. It would sound to me like they're calling me a blindly obedient. I'm not sure if it's personal or cultural in this case, but, for the record, most of my family agreed.

last edited at Mar 25, 2024 9:39AM

Teru%20frown
joined Jul 9, 2020

Do you want a harem route? Because that's how you get a harem route...

Lojsdbe
joined Sep 16, 2019

To me "you're as loyal as a dog" also seems insulting lol. It would sound to me like they're calling me a blindly obedient. I'm not sure if it's personal or cultural in this case, but, for the record, most of my family agreed.

Well, maybe not that one precisely. I was just trying to keep with the dog theme and made something up, but there are more common expressions. “As sly as a fox,” “as wise as an owl” (and yes, I know they're actually really dumb, but it’s an old expression), that sort of thing. The point is that English speakers tend to note the trait being complimented, rather than just referring to someone as being that particular animal.

To reply you must either login or sign up.