Forum › Otherside Picnic discussion

Shoujo%20kageki%20revue%20starlight%20-%2009%20-%20large%2035
joined Apr 22, 2017

Ohhhh it's nice that the manga show the gore but also left it to imagination. It was not as graphic in the LN. Always love this author depiction of gore and horror since the monkey in the train chapter, they give just enough info for stuff to be scary.

CindertailtheKistune
Tumblr_830a85052a1b34481fa368bf50ca9fc5_de74d4e4_500
joined Oct 19, 2021

Man, that plan backfired.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

Ahhh, the words we've all been longing to hear!

For novel readers:
Too bad that Sorawo is too emotionally stunted to accept them or do anything about it for ages from now.

The half of the conversation she had with Satsuki at the end there was so creepy and ominous. Can't wait until the next arc in the manga form.

joined Jun 11, 2021

we finally reached the major turning point in the story i'm so excited. only 10 more years til we catch up to the novels ༎ຶ⁠‿⁠༎ຶ

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

They really went with for the hat-trick with the great confessions that've been a long time coming this week.

CindertailtheKistune
Tumblr_830a85052a1b34481fa368bf50ca9fc5_de74d4e4_500
joined Oct 19, 2021

WAS THAT ROMANTIC OR PLATONIC AAAAAAAAAA

Untitled315
joined Mar 30, 2021

I like her new haircut, it looks cool
And finally we get to hear what we wanted for a long time!

joined Apr 10, 2023

For novel readers:
Too bad that Sorawo is too emotionally stunted to accept them or do anything about it for ages from now.

The half of the conversation she had with Satsuki at the end there was so creepy and ominous. Can't wait until the next arc in the manga form.

Imo
Sorawo isn't stunted or anything, she has PTSD and strongly flinches away from any strong emotion before she even really consciously feels it, a common symptom called "dissociation" that for whatever reason is almost never portrayed in fiction. A word novel Sorawo uses to describe Toriko's looks a few times is "stunning" and I eventually realized she's not using that as a metaphor or anything. Toriko is actually literally overwhelming for Sorawo, because she's still shutting down when she feels something strong.
The way Sorawo eventually has her breakthrough to get past this was one of the funniest long running punchlines I've ever seen lmao.

joined May 3, 2014

Are the novels translated officially or fan translation?

joined Jun 16, 2023

The first eight novels have been officially translated and published in English by J-Novel Club, and are available for purchase wherever books are sold. I bought the ebook versions from Barnes & Noble.

joined May 9, 2017

The way Sorawo eventually has her breakthrough to get past this was one of the funniest long running punchlines I've ever seen lmao.

Care to share? I actually don't remember it.

last edited at Nov 19, 2023 9:00AM

joined May 23, 2013

WAS THAT ROMANTIC OR PLATONIC AAAAAAAAAA

Romantic. Absolutely no question.

Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

So... It's not subtext? Cool.

joined Apr 10, 2023

They are translated officially and they're probably the best translations I've ever seen TBH? There was like one weird point out of eight books, and considering how metaphorical and psychological Otherside Picnic gets I'd imagine it's a way harder job than a typical present day romance or something like that.

Care to share? I actually don't remember it.

Does Sorawo thinking this jog your memory:
"I... I wanna see it!!!!!!!"

joined Dec 27, 2019

Yay woo woohoo

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

we finally reached the major turning point in the story i'm so excited. only 10 more years til we catch up to the novels ༎ຶ⁠‿⁠༎ຶ

Ten years? Is the gap that big?

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

For novel readers:

Imo
Sorawo isn't stunted or anything, she has PTSD and strongly flinches away from any strong emotion before she even really consciously feels it, a common symptom called "dissociation" that for whatever reason is almost never portrayed in fiction. A word novel Sorawo uses to describe Toriko's looks a few times is "stunning" and I eventually realized she's not using that as a metaphor or anything. Toriko is actually literally overwhelming for Sorawo, because she's still shutting down when she feels something strong.

Seems you didn't understand at all what I meant by "emotionally stunted". It is a catch-all phrase for many psychological problems (i.e. it is not a medical diagnosis) that just means they are not in tune with, or cannot act upon, their emotions. That explains Sorawo's reaction to the confession perfectly. Especially the amount of patience and perseverence that Toriko needs to have to deal with her.

BUT, I only meant to make a comment on the direction the novel is going, I didn't mean to have an in-depth discussion of the future, because that's not much related to the manga as it is right now.

Kohaku%20avatar%20500px
joined Jul 10, 2016

Ahhhh, it's finally earned that tag.

joined May 9, 2017

Beginning of tome 12 (manga) is the end of the 3rd tome of the light novel. The 8th tome of the LN got released this year. The manga has been running for 5 years. You can do your calculations... But yeah, it will take a while.

Screenshot%202024-04-26%20233149
joined Jan 17, 2021

Ghost in shell Sorawo in this chapter. Sorawo the Dense in the next chapters.

Kinda hate it that the yurimeme sub spoiled the ending of this chapter even though I already read all the novels.

joined Dec 7, 2022

Beginning of tome 12 (manga) is the end of the 3rd tome of the light novel. The 8th tome of the LN got released this year. The manga has been running for 5 years. You can do your calculations... But yeah, it will take a while.

OMG we're only at the end of light novel 3?? I'm glad the novels are being illustrated in so much detail that 11-12 vols of manga equals 3 light novels, but that huge gap really sucks lol. That said though, I'm loving this manga!

joined Apr 10, 2023

it's certainly a preferable pace to the anime, which roughly covers the first two light novel volumes by butchering them.

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

it's certainly a preferable pace to the anime, which roughly covers the first two light novel volumes by butchering them.

Indeed and mercilessly too. Really didn't understand the sleeve the material or just didn't care. Tried to force it to be what it's not, while stripping away what it is.

last edited at Nov 20, 2023 6:09PM

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

Bahahaha, I'm with you there. I can't think of one thing I actually liked about the anime, despite trying not to judge it harshly as an adaptation. But its tone was all over the place. Overall, just meh.

joined Apr 10, 2023

I had a premonition that the anime would be bad right from the opening scene, which cuts out Sorawo's narration of what the Kunekune is doing to her head in favor of a couple seconds of visual glitches. This premonition proved correct lol. What even is the point of Otherside Picnic without the psychological aspect of what the Otherside does to Sorawo or Toriko? If they're not going to feel the Otherside why bother even including the scenes of them going there, might as well cut it down even more to be a yuri about socially awkward college girls lol.

last edited at Nov 21, 2023 4:41AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.