Forum › Otherside Picnic discussion

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

(not the anime or the official translation though. Can you believe those morons really translated "The Whispered Voice Requires Self-Responsibility" as "The Whisper is At-Your-Own-Risk"? Absolute clowns.)

Are you talking about the official translation of the manga here? To be honest, I find both of these titles kind of weird, but I don't know what the original Japanese title was.

The anime was definitely trash though, sadly.

%e3%83%80%e3%82%a4%e3%81%95%e3%82%93
joined Apr 5, 2023

ささやきボイスは自己責任 is the original

Sdm%20ladies%20cheering
joined Apr 10, 2023

(not the anime or the official translation though. Can you believe those morons really translated "The Whispered Voice Requires Self-Responsibility" as "The Whisper is At-Your-Own-Risk"? Absolute clowns.)

Are you talking about the official translation of the manga here? To be honest, I find both of these titles kind of weird, but I don't know what the original Japanese title was.

The anime was definitely trash though, sadly.

Yeah that second title is from the official manga translation. Both titles are weird because they're translating a deliberately weird title, the latter is just really clunky. The actual way we'd normally refer to the genre of horror stories Runa is reading on the Internet in that arc is just "cursed stories". You could localize the title as thus "Beware the curse of the whispered story!" but that'd lose the deliberately ambiguous vibe of the original title, which the official novel translation (which this scanlation also uses, because why fix what isn't broken) successfully conveys.

Sdm%20ladies%20cheering
joined Apr 10, 2023

I love this series. Sorawo having a big gay moment over Toriko sucking the blood off her translucent hand is so good. As is her "Awkward" shirt that turns the w into an awkward emoji face.
(Also like the horror is well done and presented even better than I'd imagined based on the novel)

joined Apr 5, 2023

Sorawo looks so funny in that bottom right panel on page 10

joined Jul 26, 2023

I love these two

Cornonthekopp
D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

I love this series. Sorawo having a big gay moment over Toriko sucking the blood off her translucent hand is so good. As is her "Awkward" shirt that turns the w into an awkward emoji face.
(Also like the horror is well done and presented even better than I'd imagined based on the novel)

I noticed that the way sorawo reacts to toriko's hand bleeding is very reminiscent of sorawo's reaction to a certain scene at the end of volume 8

Sdm%20ladies%20cheering
joined Apr 10, 2023

I noticed that the way sorawo reacts to toriko's hand bleeding is very reminiscent of sorawo's reaction to a certain scene at the end of volume 8

There's also the moment in "Attack of the Ninja Cats", chapter 41 of the manga, where Toriko bites her glove off while they're in a crisis moment (since her other hand was holding her gun) and Sorawo gets completely taken out of the crisis moment distracted by this action, thinking "oh she's so cool!" lol

joined Apr 5, 2023

There's also the moment in "Attack of the Ninja Cats", chapter 41 of the manga, where Toriko bites her glove off while they're in a crisis moment (since her other hand was holding her gun) and Sorawo gets completely taken out of the crisis moment distracted by this action, thinking "oh she's so cool!" lol

私が言うと、鳥子が左の手袋を口にくわえて脱ぎ捨てた。あっ、かっこいい、いや見とれている場合じゃなかった。

^ she's so funny.

Sdm%20ladies%20cheering
joined Apr 10, 2023

Another moment I just remembered: when they take the AP 1 out for a drive at the beginning of Yannanoke Presence, they've gotta fold up the tarp that has covering it, which means coming together to bring the corners together. Sorawo has a gay panic about that, too.
Manga location: chapter 48, page 22. Although the manga undersells this particular example lol

last edited at Jun 30, 2024 4:39PM

joined May 9, 2017

I thought it would have been a difficult scene to adapt, as the transition from being physically present to being lost in thoughts can be difficult to represent in drawing, but the mangaka really nailed it once again.

I'd like to comment more about UraPi, especially so it would get more recognition but at the same time, except saying how good the manga is compared to the novel, I don't really know that to say. For me it's definitely, and by far, the best novel adaptation I've ever read.

Screen%20shot%202024-03-24%20at%209.39.46%20am
joined May 8, 2017

Eldritch horrors buffeted by drinks in between. Ah, I love this vibe.

girlswhokiss
joined Apr 5, 2023

Next file is going to be hilarious, I'm so excited for it, the drawn reaction to 「おっぱいかわいいね……空魚……」 and more Kozakura which is always nice and then some time next year volume 4 of the novel will finally be complete. That makes me wonder how volume 6 is going to be considering how long a certain event in it is.

joined Apr 5, 2023

They look so cute in this chapter it's like they're all cute animals, them sleeping was cuter than what I was expecting and the begging faces... yup I really like that.
And Kozakura pants.

(Also a moment of appreciation for Stevie257's edits on Tumblr, thank you!)

last edited at Jul 23, 2024 3:49AM

Sdm%20ladies%20cheering
joined Apr 10, 2023

And now begins the best hot spring filler episode ever

Screen%20shot%202024-03-24%20at%209.39.46%20am
joined May 8, 2017

That microsecond of hot disappointment on Toriko's face when Sorawo begged Kozakura to come. Oh man.

joined Jul 26, 2023

Is the dense one starting to crack and become aware? Or just hardening even more?

joined Dec 13, 2022

Idiot couple tag when.

Nq9nh0qj
joined Oct 25, 2023

And now begins the best hot spring filler episode ever

Yes! The hot spring trip is great! I don't know why you'd call it "filler" though since it's a case file (#14) just like the other arcs.

"These goddamn useless lesbians!" - Kozakura, probably

When Toriko heard it was nude bathing, I imagine her brain quickly weighed "embarrassment about being seen nude" vs "desire to see Sorawo nude" and the desire immediately won.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Is the dense one starting to crack and become aware? Or just hardening even more?

She's aware. She just doesn't want to deal with it.

Sdm%20ladies%20cheering
joined Apr 10, 2023

Sorawo isn't dense and they're not an idiot couple. She knows how Toriko feels about her, Toriko explicitly told it to her face at the end of the "self-responsibility" arc. She just doesn't know how she feels about how Toriko feels because she's got a bunch of shit she's dealing with. Remember how she has no living relatives and the last ones left she was preparing to burn them alive and they just died before she could do it? This girl has had a world of shit pushing her away from being a well adjusted self aware person.
It's something actually all three of our main characters have, an acute scar from the death of loved ones that makes them afraid to get closer to other people to the same degree, because they associate love with immense pain. Kozakura has a monologue basically saying this explicitly (she talks about how much she tried to resist getting close to Sorawo and Toriko because she doesn't want them to hurt her the way Satsuki did when she disappeared, and how anxious she is about them now that she does care despite herself every time they go to the Otherside), but I can't remember where it was. I think maybe in one of the extra stories you get with the manga volumes.
Edit: one piece of it I can definitely cite: the scene where they first take the AP-1 to the Otherside, Kozakura tells them that every time they go she has to steel herself for the possibility that they won't come back.

last edited at Jul 23, 2024 3:16PM

joined Jun 11, 2021

y'all aren't ready for the hot springs arc!! the series only gets gayer and gayer from here on out

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

Two besties chilling in the hot tub,
with a third wheel because they're useless.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

Sorawo calling it "something weird" definitely brought to mind how weird it is when 'it' actually does happen between them.

last edited at Jul 24, 2024 9:29AM

006%20(1)
joined Aug 11, 2019

"WE NEED AN ADULT!!" - the two of them, probably.

To reply you must either login or sign up.