Forum › Trying Out Marriage With My Female Friend discussion

Freenbeckforever
joined Oct 28, 2022

Are we back in the 90s? This is like a yuri manga from that time. From the time manga taught us that lesbians knew no lust, and love between women always was chaste and sisterly.
These two: no attraction, no horniness, no desire for each other's bodies, no nothing. They will live like vestal virgins ever after. Talk about a blast from the past! /s

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Are we back in the 90s? This is like a yuri manga from that time. From the time manga taught us that lesbians knew no lust, and love between women always was chaste and sisterly.
These two: no attraction, no horniness, no desire for each other's bodies, no nothing. They will live like vestal virgins ever after. Talk about a blast from the past! /s

They've done more than enough to prove and establish their love without needing more physical intimacy, though. I don't think this is about being chaste more than it's about an author who enjoys showing love without needing to depend on kissing and sex. It's a fairly common writing tip that if you need physical intimacy to prove your characters love each other, you've made a mistake. This writer just seems to take that seriously and I personally like it. Adds to the variety of relationship types.

last edited at Nov 9, 2023 1:15PM

Couple_under_the_stars
joined Nov 7, 2022

Both the repetition of the rules and the lack of intimacy make for a strange ending though. What is the conclusion ? That being married is the same as living together with a friend except you also promise to stay together ? The question isn't so much about us knowing they are in love (we know that) and more about why their love takes that particular shape.

Also, there is a pretty thin line, maybe even just a matter of point of view, between intimacy being unnecessary to show your characters are in love, and having to show your characters are in love within the constraint of not showing intimacy. Which I guess is why this kind of resolution reminds people of works from 30 years ago.

In the end, we know they are married, in love with each other, and they don't mind kissing - their relationship is not just for show and there is nothing inconclusive. I don't think there is an argument that the story didn't go all to way to its conclusion, or that their relationship isn't as genuine as any other you could think of. At the same time the last chapter, in which they make their wedding "official" in front of others, emphasizes physical distance (repeat of separate bedrooms and wedding without a kiss), which is a deliberate choice which, at least to me, feels a bit off-putting.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

They've done more than enough to prove and establish their love without needing more physical intimacy, though. I don't think this is about being chaste more than it's about an author who enjoys showing love without needing to depend on kissing and sex. It's a fairly common writing tip that if you need physical intimacy to prove your characters love each other, you've made a mistake. This writer just seems to take that seriously and I personally like it. Adds to the variety of relationship types.

i think they're aware, the "/s" is a tone indicator marking their statement as sarcastic~

Shoujo%20kageki%20revue%20starlight%20-%2009%20-%20large%2035
joined Apr 22, 2017

Noooooo THE SERIES HAS ENDED. I am sobbing. They are such goals. Love this series, we need more clear communication and appreciation of small gesture in this society, which value romantic relationship so so much.

Ever since I read Bloom Into You as a teen, I very much identify with Yuu and Touko in their confusion about and dejection of the idea of love. It's not that I hate love and think it's below me, but the "love" I ever experienced and read about seems very conditional and does not make sense. After all this time of reading fiction, DSM-5, and random psychology self-help books, the love that these two (and the two in Crescent Moon and Doughnut) have is the kind that I can finally understand and desire. Love this author so much for putting this out in the world.

The big gestures like surprises, parties, celebrating birthdays (or holidays), swooping in to save their spouse from big bad dangerous things, etc, are very grande' and desirable when the person is stuck in their life and needs a fantasy to escape. But those happen so few times a year, gosh, the big bad things almost never gonna happen.

The seemingly small gestures like: Knowing your partner's triggers to create a safe space at home for both. Being able to communicate and listen to your partner's needs like in chapter 2. Whether they need some space when they are feeling overwhelmed, and how to able to help them/or simply leave them alone like in chapter 23. Or stupid things like preparing eggs or buying stuffs in a way that your partner prefers so that their day can be a bit less crappy in this economy like chapter 1 (you know like to take some more time to scramble some egg but you hate it to your core and only want sunny side up). Able to have time dedicated for each other, regardless of going out to do fun dates, or just snuggling with each other and knowing that both of you are safe. I JUST LOVE WHAT THEY HAVE GIMME SOMEEEEEE

Also, maybe I am ace, but I do not really see the appeal of having to have sex to prove your love. Like why would we care if they have sex or not, living in different rooms doesn't mean that sex is off-limited. And sleeping in the same bed is wildly uncomfortable if you have a different body temperature or your partner punches in their sleep...like sex is the only way to prove your love, it is simply a fun add-on to a relationship, no?

Idk they have so much respect for each other and I love them for that. Just gimme some of that peace, happiness, and peacefulness that they have lol

last edited at Nov 9, 2023 2:00PM

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

Thanks for the translation, ever since the first chapter where we got an in depth lesson on japanese loaf bread thickness I've been looking forward to more from this series, and more from knight heron haha.

I loved their more casual wedding and thought the dresses were really cute! It definitely felt more like a regular queer wedding than the whole fancy chapel stuff that a lot of series do lol

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

I've been to quite a few same sex marriages over the years and I can tell you this one is actually a lot more elaborate than most :P I can't say I speak for the community as a whole, obviously, but from my experience at least people tend to keep it pretty low key.

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Both the repetition of the rules and the lack of intimacy make for a strange ending though. What is the conclusion ? That being married is the same as living together with a friend except you also promise to stay together ? The question isn't so much about us knowing they are in love (we know that) and more about why their love takes that particular shape.

Also, there is a pretty thin line, maybe even just a matter of point of view, between intimacy being unnecessary to show your characters are in love, and having to show your characters are in love within the constraint of not showing intimacy. Which I guess is why this kind of resolution reminds people of works from 30 years ago.

In the end, we know they are married, in love with each other, and they don't mind kissing - their relationship is not just for show and there is nothing inconclusive. I don't think there is an argument that the story didn't go all to way to its conclusion, or that their relationship isn't as genuine as any other you could think of. At the same time the last chapter, in which they make their wedding "official" in front of others, emphasizes physical distance (repeat of separate bedrooms and wedding without a kiss), which is a deliberate choice which, at least to me, feels a bit off-putting.

While I'd usually agree, I feel like Usui Shio's characters seem to generally all be somewhat asexual and averse to physical closeness. Cresent Moon and Donuts was even more explicitly so, but in this series I still felt that same sort of vibe. Of course it is perfectly possible to like or dislike this sort of thing, what I want to say is just that the ending feels very "on-brand" for this author, so for me at least, nothing could disappoint because this is exactly how I'd imagine things turning out.

joined May 9, 2021

Would have liked a kiss but I think that it was a fine ending!

Bitter_Yuri_Reader
B54b9b73acf116a04cdf291380171b8e
joined May 2, 2018

Maaaaan a lot of my favorite series have ended this year :(
This was an enjoyable read and I’m looking forward to this artist’s future works<3

last edited at Nov 9, 2023 3:43PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

A lovely wedding ending. ^_^

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

sob sob.....

another happy yuri couple in the books!!!!!

Photo%203.0
joined Aug 20, 2023

Queria ver mais.

_warningm_edited
joined Jan 15, 2021

^^^I dont think got to the point it dragged on, but it had said and done everything it needed to at this pace and in this style, so it didnt need to go on any more, i agree.

Overall i really enjoyed this series, and am still sad its now over.
I agree there shoulda been a kiss tho! I hope we get an extra chapter too.

I wish there had been a kiss but, oh well. As much as I hate seeing this end, I'm glad it ends like this, because it feels natural, like the way a story is supposed to end. Not some hacked off ending like the magazine shut down. This was a good story, and it's one I can reread without bitterness (except for being single and reading about their lovey-dovey exploits, but that's not the story's fault).

THANK YOU!!!!! and God's blessings on EVERYONE who worked on procuring, translating ,typesetting, posting, hosting, and anything else that went into bringing this masterpiece here to we undeserved masses.

last edited at Nov 9, 2023 4:49PM

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

So we never see them demolish that rule huh

ArtemisOnVtubers
joined Dec 16, 2021

Medetashi, medetashi
Now let's see how old this manga become.before japan legalized marriage

9286787ab50153acb27cd03b385edb3d949d719e0b569799723637ee189d1f4b_1-1
joined Aug 14, 2020

A lovely fluffy and sweet ending, I'm gonna miss this one for sure.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Those were some amazingly . . . PRACTICAL wedding vows.

Glass%20drum
joined Jan 3, 2019

Ending feels rushed and cold, which is a different vibe from the rest of the series. Something I like about this author is that they're able to make soft, fluffy relationships even from an aroace perspective, but this felt off. Was the series cancelled and cut short or something?

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

I was gonna be disappointed that it just up and ended like this, but the tiny baby MCing was too damn adorable for me to be upset

Edit: Damn, Dynasty forum commenters really do seem to err on the side of hypersexual. Yeah, this manga would be disturbingly chaste and passionless twenty years ago. It's not twenty years ago, though.

last edited at Nov 9, 2023 7:27PM

joined Aug 21, 2017

I FUCKING LOVE WEDDINGS
I WANT CHARACTERS TO PROCLAIM THEIR LOVE AND LOYALTY FOR EACH OTHER

4b70c0a3-5927-441e-942b-53e31052f7f7
joined Mar 3, 2023

May the live happily ever after.

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

This mangaka really focuses more on relationships and writes from a pretty aroace perspective

joined Oct 27, 2018

Won't lie, I found this manga pretty boring. It wasn't offensively bad or anything, but didn't really do much for me.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

I guess... it's an asexual marriage? No kiss (except the one that came with a slap), separate bedrooms forever.
Sure, that's cool. Not satisfying from a story perspective, but if the author really wanted it that way, okay.

To reply you must either login or sign up.