Forum › My Mom's a Superstar discussion

F494445ccf14390bf6c2ed5513bce72a
joined Oct 31, 2013

I went over past chapters now and everything makes so much more sense after this chapter~

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

I love it, I love it, I love it so much!!!! ><
What do we think of the manager guy? Is he the ex husband/father?

Or that other guy...we did learn she is weak to alcohol.

Kohaku%20avatar%20500px
joined Jul 10, 2016

Holy shit. A format change and an enormous opener! I fucking love it. It probably won't stay this way after the flashback is done, but I really hope it does.

Also, BANDWOLF.

Edit: oh damn, I forgot about Youzi entirely. Awkward times aheeeeeaaaad.

last edited at Sep 10, 2023 12:23PM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Sure looks like him.
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_moms_a_superstar_ch08#2

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

At first I thought you were suggesting that Han Jing was Youzi's father and I almost choked. Then I got what you were talking about. :)

Sure looks like him.

So he had ulterior motives after all!!!
Well, kinda obvious, really. Haha.
Thanks for the link! I had completely forgotten about that part.
I seriously need to reread everything from chapter 1.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

At first I thought you were suggesting that Han Jing was Youzi's father and I almost choked. Then I got what you were talking about. :)

Sure looks like him.

So he had ulterior motives after all!!!
Well, kinda obvious, really. Haha.

He might have, or he might just end up getting caught up in Youji's rebound.

This is why the next chapter is going to be pain. It has to explain why Youji's obvious and extremely deliberate romantic overtures towards Weiwei transitions to Youji marrying her manager and having a kid while Ren bops off overseas for years.

That link does pretty strongly suggest to me that part of the reason Youzi ships her mom with Ren is because of something she heard Dad say during the divorce.

Thanks for the link! I had completely forgotten about that part.
I seriously need to reread everything from chapter 1.

I've reread these chapters so many times piecing the puzzle bits together. For some reason it really resonates with me and I really enjoy seeing how new bits fit into the larger picture. When you reread it with later context, so many things jump out.

Ren%e2%80%99py_logo_6-13-6_200x307px
joined Jan 21, 2023

I've reread these chapters so many times piercing the puzzle bits together. For some reason it really resonates with me and I really enjoy seeing how new bits fit into the larger picture. When you reread it with later context, so many things jump out.

I like that in chapter 19 Ren Wei tells Youzi everything we just saw of the scene in the KTV, how she met Youji at the KTV and Youji rescued her from Han Jing's evil clutches... except that while Ren Wei speaks we see the narration, in Youzi's imagination, played by Chinese puppets.

Now we got to see the real scene with the real characters and how it really played out!

Miki_closeup
joined Mar 20, 2014

It's curious how it changes from a colored long-format format to a black-and-white page format. Why the heck is that?

joined Apr 16, 2022

It's curious how it changes from a colored long-format format to a black-and-white page format. Why the heck is that?

A unique way of indicating it's a flashback.

joined Jan 14, 2020

has to explain why Youji's obvious and extremely deliberate romantic overtures towards Weiwei

Thing is, I'm not sure they're obvious to Youji. Or deliberately romantic. Could in fact be her protective impulse kicking in.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Re-reading doesn't take too long and does help a lot. For those who can't find the time, here's a cast list:

Youzi. Our kid star, seen at ages 6 and 14 (and 4, once). Discovered shipping at 6, also first met Ren Wei then, and has shipped her mom with Ren Wei every since. The 14 yo Youzi can still look pretty short, as during the 'variety show'.

Youji. Her mom. Actress specializing in 'prince' roles. Gets shipped a lot with women by her fans, and her behavior feeds that. Unclear how much of that is natural vs. deliberate fanservice. The few internal views we get are mostly her being frustrated by Youzi's shipping. Has longer hair when Youzi is age 6, shorter at Youzi 14.

Ren Wei, aka Weiwei. The one with pink hair. "Musical genius", singer, was overseas for some time between university and Youzi being age 6. Has told Youzi one chapter ago that she likes Youzi, hopefully that means like-like. The latest chapter has shown us why she might.

Caicai: white haired girl. Youzi's best friend in school.

Auntie Chen, aka Lil Chen: long white hair. actress who has roles with Youji a lot, also is her best friend. Youzi suspected her mom likes Chen more. Friendly with Ren Wei.

Director Chen: this is the confusing part: also white hair (short), but sister of actress Chen; "Caicai's mom" was described as a company president. https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_moms_a_superstar_ch08#2 Director picks up drunk actress sister here https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_moms_a_superstar_ch18#3

(So when Caicai exclaims "Auntie Chen" one time, it's actually biological aunt for once, rather than polite.)

Yangyang: white haired boy. Son of "director Chen", brother of Caicai, recently got acting advice from Youji. Of age himself.

Xiao Pei: Youji's driver/handler/agent. Brown haired woman, usually with a cap.

Han Jing: jerk from Ren Wei's uni band. Still a jerk, calling Youji unsuccessful if she was picking Youzi up herself.

Plot: hasn't been much. But:

At age 6, Youzi met Ren, discovered shipping, and shipper her mom with Ren.

At some point Youji was aware of the ship, but doesn't seem concerned by it except where Youzi lets it leak out.

At age 14, Youzi has been taking vocal lessons from Ren; there was a show, from which Ren brought Youji home dead drunk, because Youji had been drinking for her and Lil Chen; Youji rescued Ren from Han Jing (again)

There's been very little evidence that Youji wants a relationship with anyone, despite being cuddly with Lil Chen and very protective of Ren. She did offer some food to Ren over Chen, so there might be a preference. But if she's pining, her self-control is adamant.

Qy1n9jd3ivu
joined Dec 23, 2018

Youzi looks like daughter of Ren

Calling it again

joined Jan 14, 2020

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_moms_a_superstar_ch04#4

"you brought a friend back with you"

But according to my later reconstruction, Caicai is Lil Chen's niece! Though since Youzi is imploding at the end, seems Caicai is recognizing Auntie Chen...

I wonder if some of the relationships were only pinned down later in the comic. Like the author started out just messing around but eventually took it more seriously. Relatedly, I think it took a while for Youzi's mother to get her own name.

Riamu
joined Aug 28, 2018

Wait the product is real and this chapter is a meta-advertisement? That's so funny let's go Shi Yi Er get that bread.

joined Feb 4, 2019

"i can't choose...fuck it let's use 'em all!" ....MY MAN.

joined Jan 14, 2020

1st page, bottom panel: that the two managers?

2nd page: we have Youzi and Caicai, but also a totally new couple?

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

yeah, that's their managers. I think he's also WeiWei's older brother.

The new couple is probably just a random couple for the ad.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Yeah, Xiao Pei and Xiao Qi.

(No relation or anything, and maybe not a coincidence? My understanding is that Xiao is a name prefix in Chinese, using it on yourself is a way of showing humility.)

We certainly haven't seen them before as far as I've noticed.

last edited at Sep 19, 2023 6:51PM

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

(No relation or anything, and maybe not a coincidence? My understanding is that Xiao is a name prefix in Chinese, using it on yourself is a way of showing humility.)

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_moms_a_superstar_ch28#38 I'd imagine sharing a mom would probably have a relation of some sort, though I got the direction wrong. She's the older one.

edit: just realized you were referring to the managers not being related and that you weren't responding to my comment about him being related to Ren Wei.

last edited at Sep 19, 2023 9:38PM

joined Aug 21, 2017

Wait the product is real and this chapter is a meta-advertisement? That's so funny let's go Shi Yi Er get that bread.

I love that this is real lmao. The rare Product Placement tag spotted in the wild.

joined Jan 14, 2020

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_moms_a_superstar_ch28#38 I'd imagine sharing a mom would probably have a relation of some sort, though I got the direction wrong. She's the older one.

Thanks.

So Xiao Pei and Xiao Qi shouldn't be related, despite the names. Xiao Qi is Ren Wei's younger brother... despite not sharing either name. But we've got the text above, and shared pink hair color. Unless Xiao is an honorific. Anyway Qi seems to be Ren's gopher/manager, at least now, like Xiao Pei for Youji.

Shinobu%20cain%202
joined Aug 19, 2015

Ad Campaign manager is BASED.

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

Thanks.

So Xiao Pei and Xiao Qi shouldn't be related, despite the names. Xiao Qi is Ren Wei's younger brother... despite not sharing either name. But we've got the text above, and shared pink hair color. Unless Xiao is an honorific. Anyway Qi seems to be Ren's gopher/manager, at least now, like Xiao Pei for Youji.

Yeah, xiao isn't a part of his name, think of it like "-chan".

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

Seems like the author's been busy with putting together a book (like a tankobon) for this series and is doing a small book tour with 5 cities within China from Sept 29 through Oct 5. They pushed out a small unrelated short comic recently on their Weibo. We'll probably see this one translated soon--- it's short but cute.

Their book is also available online to buy from Taobao apparently!

We'll likely see an update late October or early November.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Thanks.

The Xiao prefix has already been covered, (Although I think I've heard that it also can be a name sometimes, so I don't know enough about Chinese to tell you how it's being used here.) aside from that, we don't know Qi's surname. Ren is probably Weiwei's surname, so Qi might be Ren Qi, or they might have a more complex family dynamic involving a step-parent. It definitely seems like they're related, they're definitely drawn with a resemblance.

And yeah, Xiao Qi is definitely working as his sister's manager. First shown here:
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_moms_a_superstar_ch09#1 in this pov chapter.

It's interesting now that we know that they're siblings. First time I read that comic, I thought he seemed a little presumptuous, but now that we know that she's his sister, his reaction seems more reasonable.

(Though man, there is just nepotism all over in this story. ;p )

To reply you must either login or sign up.