Forum › Ayaka is in Love with Hiroko! discussion

Tumblr_3d1efdc4f3fb1ee16acd2f13f08afe0c_1e0d545a_12802
joined Mar 8, 2014

...also, that montage on this page reminded me of this very old XKCD comic (it doesn't really work as a parallel for obvious reasons, you don't have to tell me that :P I just thought it's kinda funny).

Yeah there's a huge difference between being friendly* with someone you like if there is some flirting going on and they know you like them but the person is emotionally unavailable and trying to be someone's bestie while pinning for them the whole time. I mean Risa comes off as immature here and Ayaka as well should have backed off a bit and not gone crying to her with Hiroko problems. The only thing I can say is that Risa realized she liked Ayaka after a whole year so it's not like she was secretly pinning for her so that's a plus. But I don't know in what world it makes sense to go after someone like Ayaka who is head over heels for someone else.

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Mmmm, yeah, when you put it that way, that does make sense. When I first read this chapter, Ayaka's continued listlessness during the date scenes kinda escaped my notice, (since I thought it was like, Risa's imaginings during her confessing, not actual events across a minor timeskip until a page or two later) so the aggressive face felt kinda more relevant to Risa's own fed-up vibes these past few chapters than in response to that. But going back and looking again, it does come across a bit better now....[Cutting off the rest for space]

Oh detailed response. Cool. Harumin all the way! That's all I'll say.

Lol. But yeah, if you haven't already, check Ayaka's eyes in those scenes (also check that Risa was the only one ever blushing--bless her). The awkwardness is a bit of comedy. Ayaka is completely shell shocked that they're even doing this. She must have been so confused. When a good friend confesses, it can be so weird if you're not attracted. It can feel like "hey, they're a great person, shouldn't I try it out? Should I? Why don't I like them? Why does this feel weird?" But the reality is it doesn't work that way. We can't turn a switch, we don't have as much control as we think we do over our feelings. Maybe in time they could, but Risa was already so upfront the entire manga and still not even a thought from Ayaka, so it's right for her.

It's tough to move on but the upside is Risa tried it. She can have closure. She has no regrets. That's the other purpose here, I think. She's not the silent unrequited love trope, she stood up and made it happen (just like Ayaka has been doing). Now she knows it doesn't work and can move on head held high. She's not Sayaka. I agree about your Liz/Liberty comments but that's another divergence.

last edited at Jun 18, 2023 6:52AM

Fowgib%20me%20(2)
joined Nov 28, 2021

Risa deserves better, that's what I'll say. She tried.
Hiroko remains, as ever, an idiot.

Dynasty Reader
joined Sep 7, 2021

I respect Risa's persistence in tryna shoot her shot and get Ayaka to move on but that's not the way I'd go about it lol.

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/friends.png

I love seeing xkcd being randomly referenced on the interblag.

last edited at Jun 18, 2023 10:10AM

20221231_135046
joined Dec 1, 2022

I thinking "wanting a career in an environment where outing oneself would end it" is a good enough excuse to avoid a relationship with a younger coworker. No need for a sappy "I had a scummy but kind of sexy boss back then so I have trauma on this topic" backstory

joined Mar 8, 2014

I thinking "wanting a career in an environment where outing oneself would end it" is a good enough excuse to avoid a relationship with a younger coworker. No need for a sappy "I had a scummy but kind of sexy boss back then so I have trauma on this topic" backstory

Yeah true, I don't love that trope either lol but here we are.

Irene_&_teresa
joined Jun 12, 2019

Heartbreak is real and I just felt it. It's ok Risa, I'll always love you

E1f7694b-042f-443d-a5cb-df7de61c8a40
joined Dec 29, 2013

Woah, that was fast! I got whiplash. Hahaha
Poor Risa. I admire her for being brave and taking action. Although, her method is not something I would do. I hope she finds someone and we get to see it too.

Ihaveseenthelight
joined May 28, 2013

Aight I'm out.

allmarbleslost
So,%20lesbians%20square
joined May 5, 2022

[side-eyes the comment above me] a-anyway, can’t wait until the next chapter! no idea why I hadn’t picked this one up before now, but I’m glad I finally got to it))))

Palucina1
joined May 26, 2020

Isaw the Risa development coming from a mile away. While Risa is a sweetie, she's NOT Hiroko.Ayaka fell in love with Hiroko. It's not about deserving anything. Ayaka isn't a prize to be won, like all Risa has to do is put the right amount of coins into the "Love Machine" and Ayaka will fall into her lap.

As messed as she is, Hiroko is the one Ayaka wants. Whether that's a good thing for either of them is something the author has to work out. I personally think, that they both have some growing up to do. Ayaka needs to value herself more and stop trying to change herself just to please others. Hiroko needs to build her courage and to stop expecting the worst from everyone. SHe wears the "Dependable Senpai" mask like armor. She only sees her value through what she can give to others.

Now, I'm really interested in what exactly happened to make them both this way.

Slime
joined Feb 22, 2023

Soon: the secret origin of Hiroko!

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

And now our flawed protagonist reveals the reasons behind her flaws.

Very interested in how the mangaka pulls this one off.

joined Mar 8, 2014

Not a bad backstory I've got to say, a bit over-dramatic but believable still.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Well, this explains a lot.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I don’t want to work for a company in Japan.

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Interesting. Not a story of a bad senpai but instead an alternate ending for Hiroko and Ayaka's potential romance; and it also serves as the reason for the intensity of Hiroko's denial. She's not just worried for the normal reasons that a marginalized person might be but also because she's literally experienced where this could wind up! And her story and demeanor parallels Ayaka's so much. Must be a lot of trauma. A sad story, especially for the senpai who lost or at least had her career altered over nothing.

Like her senpai, Hiroko is self-sacrificing for Ayaka's sake; but also like her senpai, Hiroko is substituting one kind of harm to Ayaka for another. Career and public harm, for personal romantic harm. Ayaka will have a lot to overcome, in order to show Hiroko that this time can be different and that there can be hope even in hostile environments. A lot can change in 10 years even when a lot can remain annoyingly the same.

last edited at Jun 19, 2023 2:16PM

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

yeah honestly though this fucking guy just making shit up and then after Chinatsu quits over it, he's just like "oogabooga I'm leaving too because I hated the idea of a woman being my boss so much I was literally only still working here to ruin her working life"

joined Jun 21, 2020

Too little too late. Like I get it but c’mon. There must have been better ways to handle the situation with Ayaka. But yeah, sucks to work in Japan, especially being gay. Big oof.

Qbe6q6nw4kw
joined Oct 17, 2016

I have stood silent up until now. But, DAAAAAAAAMN wtf man

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

I don’t want to work for a company in Japan.

I have some good news.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Mhmmm ... the fact that Chinatsu ended up resigning along with "all the old guard" and then refusing any further contact kiiiiiinda makes me vaguely suspicious that the "rumors" might not have been entirely unfounded, but obviously that's neither here nor there.

The immaculate
joined Mar 19, 2020

Honestly I get it now I guess

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

Mhmmm ... the fact that Chinatsu ended up resigning along with "all the old guard" and then refusing any further contact kiiiiiinda makes me vaguely suspicious that the "rumors" might not have been entirely unfounded, but obviously that's neither here nor there.

Considering the realism, Japan is a culture of saving face. So even WITH a rumor, her career could be done. Like not even doing anything. Just a rumor would kill her career. So she knew if Hiroko contacted her and was seen with her, Hiroko would be majorly fucked. She basically was protecting her from that

To reply you must either login or sign up.