Forum › The Engagement of the Disgraced Witch and the Cross-Dressing Princess discussion

Sk_fb
joined Feb 17, 2013

I think this is the fourth or fifth series I've read with this start... looks good tho

Screenshot_2020-10-28_003849_2_2_69
joined Sep 14, 2014

Here we go again, let's see the twist and how good this one will be

joined Feb 22, 2023

I think I'm okay with seeing this trope again. Especially when it's gay

Tamo%20eat%20rice%2023
joined Oct 16, 2021

So far it's pretty much just MagiRevo, but even so I'm looking forward to more

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Looks like pretty generic villainess tropes, just yuri. I'll give it another chapter to see if it manages to acquire an identity of it's own, but I don't have the highest of hopes

joined Nov 16, 2021

I think this is the fourth or fifth series I've read with this start... looks good tho

would you kindly share the other ones? i love this trope since Flower Flower

joined Apr 16, 2022

Of all the villainess yuri out there (I count this as villainess even though it's not isekai), this one is most similar to a het villainess work, and I don't just mean that the love interest crossdresses. The old fiance is over-the-top evil; almost everyone else, including the servants, hates the MC for no good reason; the love interest swoops in and saves the MC by proposing to her because she "intrigues" them. The only differentiating factor, aside from it being yuri, is that the old fiance's new girl doesn't appear to be an evil two-faced white lotus, I assume she's being blackmailed or something and will probably need to be rescued later.

All that being said, Ciel's "real" personality is a lot more fun than the shoujo love interest facade she puts on while crossdressing, so I'm hopeful that now that the obligatory setup is out of the way (and the over-the-top evil former fiance hopefully won't show up very often) the manga will become more fun. Thanks for the translation!

Hodo%20hodo
joined Apr 11, 2019

seems extremely generic so far but the prince-dresser looks cute

allmarbleslost
So,%20lesbians%20square
joined May 5, 2022

it’s okay if it’s generic when do they kiss

joined Mar 31, 2013

Sometimes, you don't want a story to challenge you. You just want some familiar fun.

This seems fun.

S-l225
joined Jun 28, 2016

Sometimes something seeming simple scratches a Yuri itch you didn't know you had. I look forward to more with this one.

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

Evlis seems like a weird name. I dunno. I'm feeling Evelice or Evilous vibes just because

herenowforever
Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

This kind of start is a full blown trope at this point. It's like if you want to have Otome or Villainess Yuri, this is almost "required".

Like Isekai with that darned truck, or shounen action series having a main lead who screams loudly (dumb happy main hero is almost as common, but occasionally MC can also be sharp).

007b
joined Jun 12, 2014

"The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady" is the most popular recent example, having recently received an anime adaptation. It's the story of a princess with no magic powers who becomes a magitek engineer and takes her terrible brother's ex-fiance, who he publicly rejected, as her research assistant. The yuri follows from there

Another popular one with an anime adaptation would be "I'm the Villainess, So I'm Taming the Final Boss," which is not a yuri but does start with the villainess getting publicly rejected by the prince and then starting a romance with the Demon Lord instead

last edited at May 24, 2023 11:33PM

Nobody
joined Aug 17, 2019

Generic start, but the premise is interesting

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

Walmart magirevo, but the art is adorable.

joined Nov 22, 2019

"The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady" is the most popular recent example, having recently received an anime adaptation. It's the story of a princess with no magic powers who becomes a magitek engineer and takes her terrible brother's ex-fiance, who he publicly rejected, as her research assistant. The yuri follows from there

Another popular one with an anime adaptation would be "I'm the Villainess, So I'm Taming the Final Boss," which is not a yuri but does start with the villainess getting publicly rejected by the prince and then starting a romance with the Demon Lord instead

There's also The Villainess Who Stole the Heroine's Heart though that one is purposefully a parody of the trope/genre

Malibu Uploader
Hogfather
Kouyuri
joined Jan 25, 2016

Came here to say this. That intro has been overdone and is stupid at this point, but there could still be potential here.

joined Dec 12, 2013

Personally you have no idea how many times I have read a generic villainess manga and dearly wished it was yuri. Magirevo is of course great, but I’m not exactly complaining to see more of these. Especially with the crossdressing, a trope you see a lot in het or bl but not with yuri so much.

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

This kind of start is a full blown trope at this point. It's like if you want to have Otome or Villainess Yuri, this is almost "required".

On this subject, there's something I myself wonder about.

Villainess yuri is supposed to be a deconstruction & reconstruction of common otome romance tropes. Especially the one about the heroine's love interest having an evil fiancée who is jealous of the heroine, and bullies her, and is eventually punished and humiliated for her bad deeds.

And every time a yuri manga shows this, it's always the same scene: in some kind of public place, in front of a huge crowd, the prince hugs the heroine and points his finger towards the villainess and yells that their engagement is over. He then goes on to list all the evildoings of the villainess, and trumpets his love for the common-born but angelic heroine.

What I would like to know is: are there really so many otome games where a scene like this happens? All these details seem so precise and definite: the hall full of nobles, the finger-pointing, the yell "So-and-so! Our engagement is cancelled!" and so on and so forth. Is it a trope that you expect to find in every otome game? Or is it a parody of one particular famous work? Or a combination of both?

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

This Prince/ss is just straight up Lucina from Fire Emblem when she's crossdressing, but this looks fine so far. I don't care if a concept isn't extremely unique, it's how it handles it in the end. This could be good!

Claymore Gaby
Avatar%20knights%20badass%20hung%20clipboard01
joined Feb 25, 2023

Especially with the crossdressing, a trope you see a lot in het or bl but not with yuri so much.

Is it actually crossdressing? The sounds coming from the room (and the bitching about a problem "always with her pelvis") make me think it's some kind of genderbending magic. Transforming a woman's pelvis into a man's pelvis and back would be undeniably one of the most tricky parts.

007b
joined Jun 12, 2014

On this subject, there's something I myself wonder about.

Villainess yuri is supposed to be a deconstruction & reconstruction of common otome romance tropes. Especially the one about the heroine's love interest having an evil fiancée who is jealous of the heroine, and bullies her, and is eventually punished and humiliated for her bad deeds.

And every time a yuri manga shows this, it's always the same scene: in some kind of public place, in front of a huge crowd, the prince hugs the heroine and points his finger towards the villainess and yells that their engagement is over. He then goes on to list all the evildoings of the villainess, and trumpets his love for the common-born but angelic heroine.

What I would like to know is: are there really so many otome games where a scene like this happens? All these details seem so precise and definite: the hall full of nobles, the finger-pointing, the yell "So-and-so! Our engagement is cancelled!" and so on and so forth. Is it a trope that you expect to find in every otome game? Or is it a parody of one particular famous work? Or a combination of both?

Well, obviously not every Otome game is set in a western medieval fantasy setting but, when they are, that scene is a simple and easy way to either deliver a satisfying "victory" moment against the villainess or to set up what an unreasonable person the prince is. Closely following a formula is not as frowned upon in Japan and these cliches are often an expected part of the experience

Golden Mertens
Fr7bgrpvcaamcjc%20(1)%20(1)-1%20(1)%20(1)%20(1)%20(1)
joined Jul 9, 2021

That beggining...I feel like I'm going through a deja vu

joined Aug 21, 2017

That's a very pretty credits page.

To reply you must either login or sign up.