Forum › Posts by dkamar

dkamar
joined Mar 31, 2013

It's kinda cute, but this girl really does come across like "Man, red flags sure are pretty, so attention-grabbing!" given how little she had to go on. Maybe she's a Kodama Naoko fan.

I think it would read better if we got one of those phone calls in the story instead of just having the fact that they talked on the phone told to us?

last edited at Nov 14, 2023 11:19PM

dkamar
joined Mar 31, 2013

From the beginning and summary, seems like they're graduating from high school and heading to college?

Since they've finished entry exams, she mentions them being adults that should drink responsibly, and the summary says it's the beginning of summer break.

Though maybe summer break isn't after their graduation in Korea?

joined Mar 31, 2013

I kind of love how all over the place the tone of this manga is.

joined Mar 31, 2013

MC feels way too passive/reactive so far, which isn't the worst thing for early on but she's not exactly scoring high on competence or likeability either.

Less of a sin if the story picks up the pace a little, though maybe it just feels really slow because of the release schedule and would read better as a binge.

joined Mar 31, 2013

Sometimes, you don't want a story to challenge you. You just want some familiar fun.

This seems fun.

dkamar
joined Mar 31, 2013

It's so weird to have this series at 'will they or won't they' after so very, very long where people were insistent that they already were and that anyone asking for confirmation was being silly.

last edited at Jan 20, 2023 10:21AM

dkamar
joined Mar 31, 2013

I can't remember how it was before, but whatever changed about the directory a while back (maybe quite a while back) made it almost unusable, especially the pairings listing.

39 slow-loading pages to click through, it can take quite a while to find a series you're looking for even with everything in alphabetical order, since some series take up multiple pages and you can't go to an arbitrary page, only nearby pages or the first/last page.

joined Mar 31, 2013

It probably wasn't intended to be funny, but the transition from page 28 to 29 made me laugh out loud. Guy got emotionally Yamcha'd.

last edited at Jul 1, 2022 12:02AM

joined Mar 31, 2013

Starvation diets are either gonna end with an eating disorder or you getting fatter in the long run, don't do em kids.

If you really need a crash diet then go for the 0 carbs one, it's not healthy either but it will show results

Extremely low carb is pretty healthy, just really difficult to stick to

which describes a lot of diets, I guess

dkamar
joined Mar 31, 2013

ah the Matsuri gay chapter where it is made as clear as possibly can be that Matsuri is 100% gay and in love with miss sunflower.

And I know many of you will be like "yeah no shit" but also it's always good when a story doesn't tip toe around the issue and tells us straight up "yeah this one is actually gay".

Nah, they gave it the "I'm not sure it's the same feeling they're talking about" out, allowing it to maintain its 'might pretend it was never gay at all in the ending or an epilogue' positioning.

joined Mar 31, 2013

I always end up reading stories like this at arm's length, because I don't really trust the mangaka to not ultimately land on 'suicide is badass'.

Even if this weren't a yuri story with mermaid themes, for like a 1000% multiplier on 'romantic suicide' potential, I'd still be wary.

Which might be unfair of me.

But.

joined Mar 31, 2013

So, am I the only person who doesn't read manga etc. on a monitor the size of a billboard?

I never see anyone else complaining about these ludicrous image sizes where I have to zoom the site to like 40% to see anything, but then, I'm a 1080p pleb.

Have you tried pressing the resize button?

Yes, of course. Your options are impossibly small, because it resizes to show the entire strip at once, or the unresized original image which is too wide for all of it to show on a 1080p monitor.

last edited at Oct 8, 2021 2:45PM

joined Mar 31, 2013

So, am I the only person who doesn't read manga etc. on a monitor the size of a billboard?

I never see anyone else complaining about these ludicrous image sizes where I have to zoom the site to like 40% to see anything, but then, I'm a 1080p pleb.

joined Mar 31, 2013

"Go straight home from school" seems a common rule; Mei brings it up a lot in Citrus. "No part-time jobs" is another one.

It's weird, same country that lets 5 year olds go to the grocery store on their own gets uptight about high schoolers.

If the students are at home they can't get involved in anything that will embarrass the school, and the pride of the school>>>>>>>>>student quality-of-life.

dkamar
joined Mar 31, 2013

I keep reading this and then regretting it because the MC is such unlikable scum, and not even in an entertaining way.

I'll be back again next chapter, I guess.

joined Mar 31, 2013

Page 4 made me go "gyah jesus" and jump halfway out of my chair as I clicked away.

Then I thought it couldn't have been that bad and went back, but no, it delivers a sustained sensation of gyah jesus.

dkamar
Time of Eve discussion 17 Jul 02:44
joined Mar 31, 2013

Machine learning accidentally recreating emotions by trying to emulate social behaviors to make them more consumer-friendly and versatile isn't the most implausible thing.

Trying to be versatile and appeal to others because the benefits of socialization is basically how we ended up with the things in the first place, right?

joined Mar 31, 2013

Putting aside the weird consent stuff of the series, let's talk about what really matters.

Does anyone actually get anything out of waiting for each page to load like you're on dial-up because the images are roughly the size of a highway billboard?

joined Mar 31, 2013

We see here the nonsense that happens with 'has a humanoid actual form, but is perceived as a cat' as she's seen as a gigantic cat which, uh, towers over a waist-to-chest-high-on-a-human hamster tank while seated on...the air?

last edited at Mar 12, 2021 4:27PM

joined Mar 31, 2013

It's cute, but man, some of that speech bubble placement is cursed.

joined Mar 31, 2013

I'd argue that for most people, attraction isn't based on genitals but the rest of the package.

So if she likes girls, a boy who's mostly indistinguishable from a girl would probably still tick the box. No guarantee, but it's not that weird.

Same as the bajillion basically-straight-guy+otokonoko series out there.

Or Ookami Shounen wa Kyou mo Uso wo Kasaneru, where one of the female leads with similar hang-ups to the girl in this one still seems only attracted to the lead guy when he's cross-dressed even after the reveal, with at least some implication that she's gay with an exception.

joined Mar 31, 2013

I keep planning to get around to Lobotomy Corporation, mostly because the sequel Library of Ruina has an incredible opening by Mili. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofmYqXfjFs8

joined Mar 31, 2013

She opened the door and came in using a spare key, 'hallucination' would just be cheating at this point.

dkamar
joined Mar 31, 2013

Ah jeez, I just got jump scared by a manga

joined Mar 31, 2013

'Marriage and having kids in a country with dangerously atrocious birthrates and the same anti-traditionalist circles that divided and crippled other countries growing by the day? How repugnant. Better cheat on my obviously dislikeable dimlow of a Japanese Male™ that I'm already not honest about my opinions of to any of the people that push me to continue my family's existence.'

Cryptofascism? On my dynasty scans? It’s more likely than you think

Yeah I had to reread this comment like four times understand it, because my brain didn't want to make the jump to realize it was fascist 'progressives and homosexuals ruining the world' bullshit in the comment section of a yuri manga on a yuri-focused site.

last edited at Jan 1, 2021 11:13PM