Forum › My Girlfriend's Not Here Today discussion

Fairypixie24
joined Apr 6, 2019

Seriously, why does she even bother going out with another girl if she's going to treat her like a casual friend who isn't really too close? If I didn't know that this is yuri, I'd think that the big reveal at the end of the manga will be that Nanase is straight and needs a boyfriend.

Interesting take. There are many, many yuri stories where a couple is going out but tries to keep their love secret... and in ALL OF THEM one of the main plot devices is how they have to resort to all sorts of tricks to do what they desperately want: find chances to be alone, go on dates and have sex! If one of the girls has a large friend circle (like Nanase) it's common that the friends quickly start suspecting something odd is going on, because this girl is always leaving early and her excuses are always half-assed. It's quite extraordinary that a character in Nanase's position, who just got herself a girlfriend, doesn't change her daily routine in the least and doesn't even try to make extra time for her lover.

Nanase's disinterest in Yuni is very sus. That's not how a teenager who started going out with a cute girlfriend should behave. No wonder Yuni feels better around Fuuko who obviously has the raging hots for her!

last edited at May 19, 2023 7:22PM

2021-02-06%2003_35_00-window
joined Aug 12, 2018

Friendly reminder that Nanase only confessed because "oh god she's the only girl who doesn't find my haircut stupid im in love "

joined Jun 27, 2022

Sorry I do like this Manga but Nanase just chilling there watching this is getting too ridiculous for me.

last edited at May 19, 2023 5:46PM

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

Anyone who hasn't yet, do read all the chapters, because otherwise 17 will seem utterly insane, instead of just crazy and Nanase having a brain seizure from overstimulation.

Right now chapters 10 and 11 aren't here, and those have a bunch of context to understand Fuuko and Yuni bit better.

context wont fix bad writing though?

This is pretty trashy but it's not particularly bad written. The pacing is good, the characters are consistent in their behavior, the tone is also pretty consistent in its silliness.

It's silly and trashy and the characters' behavior and reactions aren't realistic but fiction doesn't have to mirror real-life so this isn't a problem.

it isnt realism that i was regarding to though?

this stories problem in my opinion is that its characters lack believable motives due to a lack of elaboration making their actions make no sense and causes the narrative to become less than convincing as a plausible conflict.

What motives do you want? It's teenage drama. Teens don't need elaborate motives to do stupid shit. That's what teems do. I don't know about you but I can totally related to that.

That been said, it's not like the characters have no motives at all. We know that Yuni's cheating on Nanase because she feels neglected, for instance. People cheat for way less than that, you know? We also know that Fukko is messing with Yuni and Nanase because she's kinda traumatized over her unrequited love for her childhood friend. So there are motives aplenty.

Anyway, my point stands. There's no basis to claim this thing is badly written. It's consistent and the pacing is good and while things are exaggerated for the sake of drama, it's not really implausible.

Lilification
Eri
joined Aug 30, 2020

Sorry I do like this Manga but Nanase just chilling there watching this is getting too ridiculous for me.

Shock will do that to a person. It's a real deer in headlights moment for her.

Qy1n9jd3ivu
joined Dec 23, 2018

One of the most erotic yuri manga recently and most normal teenage drama.
Yuni is such a cute sub
Obviously she needs more than one GF, she is such a type of girl and it's OK as it is OK to have just one partner. Compatibility is the only question here (and ever)
Harsh and judging comment section with self-righteous subjectivism is ruining beauty of the art.

Why someone should be condemned by others while on the road of self-discovery?
They are 16 yo, they'll learn trough mistakes and tries

last edited at May 19, 2023 7:42PM

Weiwei
joined Oct 9, 2017

Other than that, they're totally sculpted for anyone who appreciates the female body.

Absurd boobs is often a good indicator of how men-oriented a drawing is. In my experience, women tend to enjoy more realistic boobs, for very obvious reasons. (not talking about size only)

joined Mar 18, 2023

this stories problem in my opinion is that its characters lack believable motives due to a lack of elaboration making their actions make no sense and causes the narrative to become less than convincing as a plausible conflict.

What motives do you want? It's teenage drama. Teens don't need elaborate motives to do stupid shit. That's what teems do. I don't know about you but I can totally related to that.

That been said, it's not like the characters have no motives at all. We know that Yuni's cheating on Nanase because she feels neglected, for instance. People cheat for way less than that, you know? We also know that Fukko is messing with Yuni and Nanase because she's kinda traumatized over her unrequited love for her childhood friend. So there are motives aplenty.

Anyway, my point stands. There's no basis to claim this thing is badly written. It's consistent and the pacing is good and while things are exaggerated for the sake of drama, it's not really implausible.

this isnt about what i want from the characters,its about what the characters need in order for their actions to make sense beyond their so called age which truly doesnt matter at all.these characters would act the same way even if they were older or younger,as the age of a character hardly ever actually make them act their age.

in regards to bad writing:

yuni is "neglected" by her girlfriend so she makes the leap of logic to start cheating as a solution to her relationship problems,and yet some readers claim its because she is a teenager.

fukko was "betrayed" by her unrequited love so she makes the leap of logic to traumatize another person way worse than she was,and yet some readers find this hot so its all good.

nanase is in "love" with her girlfriend so she makes the leap of logic to prioritize her club activities over her beloved girlfriend,and yet some readers claim past trauma is at fault.

this manga simply hasnt truly elaborated enough on the reasoning behind its characters actions forcing the readers to speculate in order to make sense of this mess of a story,and there not being a deeper reason for the characters actions other then the surface reasons causes the story to be very shallow.

joined Jun 27, 2022

I'm just afraid this is going from an interesting manga about cheating and angsty teen drama to a weird cuckold fetish fantasy hentai.

So far it was still somewhat relatable and I enjoyed it but I do hope from chapter 18 onwards there will be real consequences for everyone involved. It's getting so ridiculous I can't take this story seriously anymore and then I lose all interest.

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

this isnt about what i want from the characters,its about what the characters need in order for their actions to make sense beyond their so called age which truly doesnt matter at all.these characters would act the same way even if they were older or younger,as the age of a character hardly ever actually make them act their age.

yuni is "neglected" by her girlfriend so she makes the leap of logic to start cheating as a solution to her relationship problems,and yet some readers claim its because she is a teenager.

fukko was "betrayed" by her unrequited love so she makes the leap of logic to traumatize another person way worse than she was,and yet some readers find this hot so its all good.

nanase is in "love" with her girlfriend so she makes the leap of logic to prioritize her club activities over her beloved girlfriend,and yet some readers claim past trauma is at fault.

this manga simply hasnt truly elaborated enough on the reasoning behind its characters actions forcing the readers to speculate in order to make sense of this mess of a story,and there not being a deeper reason for the characters actions other then the surface reasons causes the story to be very shallow.

Dude, people cheating when they're neglected happens all the time. You seem to live in a world where people's actions are absolutely governed by logic. That's not the real world. In the real world people do illogical shit for very little reasons all the time. And of course it's perfectly valid to have fictional characters acting illogically. It's not bad writing. It's only bad writing when it's inconsistent, that it is when a character known for being a very logically-minded person suddenly starts acting illogical. That's bad writing. But characters acting illogically is not inherently bad writing.

The same goes for the lack of deeper reasons for the characters' actions. It's not bad writing. Some of the greatest literary works in history don't have clear motivations for the characters or are only hinted at and left to readers' interpretation.

last edited at May 19, 2023 9:12PM

joined Mar 18, 2023

Dude, people cheating when they're neglected happens all the time. You seem to live in a world where people's actions are absolutely governed by logic. That's not the real world. In the real world people do illogical shit for very little reasons all the time. And of course it's perfectly valid to have fictional characters acting illogically. It's not bad writing. It's only bad writing when it's inconsistent, that it is when a character known for being a very logically-minded person suddenly starts acting illogical. That's bad writing. But characters acting illogically is not inherently bad writing.

The same goes for the lack of deeper reasons for the characters' actions. It's not bad writing. Some of the greatest literary works in history don't have clear motivations for the characters or are only hinted at and left to readers' interpretation.

this is a manga not the real world and these are characters not real people so i dont agree with your assertions.

i am of the belief that a story shouldnt strive for realism but to be convincing,and its characters shouldnt seek to be relatable but to be understood.this stories characters are realistic and relatable but arent convincing nor comprehensible thus i reached the conclusion that this can only be due to bad writing.

joined Jul 21, 2020

Seriously, why does she even bother going out with another girl if she's going to treat her like a casual friend who isn't really too close? If I didn't know that this is yuri, I'd think that the big reveal at the end of the manga will be that Nanase is straight and needs a boyfriend.

Interesting take. There are many, many yuri stories where a couple is going out but tries to keep their love secret... and in ALL OF THEM one of the main plot devices is how they have to resort to all sorts of tricks to do what they desperately want: find chances to be alone, go on dates and have sex! If one of the girls has a large friend circle (like Nanase) it's common that the friends quickly start suspecting something odd is going on, because this girl is always leaving early and her excuses are always half-assed. It's quite extraordinary that a character in Nanase's position, who just got herself a girlfriend, doesn't change her daily routine in the least and doesn't even try to make extra time for her lover.

Nanase's disinterest in Yuni is very sus. That's not how a teenager who started going out with a cute girlfriend should behave. No wonder Yuni feels better around Fuuko who obviously has the raging hots for her!

In a film, if a guy treats her girlfriend like Nanase does to Yuni, in the end he would inevitably be revealed to be impotent or gay.

Dude, people cheating when they're neglected happens all the time. You seem to live in a world where people's actions are absolutely governed by logic. That's not the real world. In the real world people do illogical shit for very little reasons all the time.

I'd even argue that it's reasonably logical to find another lover when you're just the beard of your official partner.
(Hah, I guess beard is likely not the best term for this, but it really seems Nanase got herself a girlfriend just to pretend she's a yurigirl and belongs in this manga-when in reality she has no interest in f/f sex..)

KatzeDerNacht
08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Nana half assed the relationship. Yuni half assed handling that problem.
Fuuko is the only one going full ass here. She's using them both to get that season ticket for the emotional rollercoaster ride at the italian soap opera theme park. Best character, even if it doesn't say much.

THIS is best comment so far, legit, well that and that French lady.

Also, what in the world is "absurd boobs"??? The non monogamous person said that, like wtf? how are boobs absurd??? xD

Kaseyamada
joined Jun 28, 2019

Nanase: worst gf ever, or at least a close runner-up.

The girl she's dating asks her for simple things (spend more time together, pay more attention to her, have more sexytime) and she doesn't give her anything. Some things she promises after much nagging, but then she doesn't keep her word. Oh but she expects that her demands be satisfied! "Come root for me at Osaka!" Doesn't she know how expensive that is for a teen?

And she didn't even make some free time to be together after the match. They could have gone to a love hotel, since nobody knows them in Osaka! Actually, after dating for half a year, did they have sex at least once? Honest question. I honestly can't remember.

^That last question, I realize just now that I have no idea either. Nanase and Yuni have been together for a long time, right? So, do they f*ck? Anyone can recall if we ever saw them having sex? Because really if Nanase hasn't any interest in sex with girls (or at least zero interest in Yuni's body) then this relationship has much deeper problems than Fuuko.

joined Mar 18, 2023

The girl she's dating asks her for simple things (spend more time together, pay more attention to her, have more sexytime) and she doesn't give her anything. Some things she promises after much nagging, but then she doesn't keep her word. Oh but she expects that her demands be satisfied! "Come root for me at Osaka!" Doesn't she know how expensive that is for a teen?

And she didn't even make some free time to be together after the match. They could have gone to a love hotel, since nobody knows them in Osaka! Actually, after dating for half a year, did they have sex at least once? Honest question. I honestly can't remember.

^That last question, I realize just now that I have no idea either. Nanase and Yuni have been together for a long time, right? So, do they f*ck? Anyone can recall if we ever saw them having sex? Because really if Nanase hasn't any interest in sex with girls (or at least zero interest in Yuni's body) then this relationship has much deeper problems than Fuuko.

nanase was constructed to be an ntr cuck,so she had to be a bad girlfriend,how else would anyone explain the fine tuned fuck ups she has managed to pull off with such high precision.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Not all people want to have sex you know.

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

this is a manga not the real world and these are characters not real people so i dont agree with your assertions.

i am of the belief that a story shouldnt strive for realism but to be convincing,and its characters shouldnt seek to be relatable but to be understood.this stories characters are realistic and relatable but arent convincing nor comprehensible thus i reached the conclusion that this can only be due to bad writing.

I find these characters really easy to understand and very convincing so that's a problem on your end, not bad writing.

That been said, it's not true that characters always have to be understood. Sometimes characters are deliberately written to be incomprehensible and that's a perfectly valid writing choice as long as it fits the story.

last edited at May 20, 2023 3:33AM

Qy1n9jd3ivu
joined Dec 23, 2018

Suggestion about impotent Nanase is hilarious

Screenshot_2019-08-25%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20social%20anxiety%20vs%20yuri%20ch04(1)
joined Aug 12, 2019

Y’all cringe at in the comments

....yep. gotta love the deep, deep analysis of teenage drama of cheating, neglect, lust, betrayal, longing, and insta-tweeter.

Just passing by on this latest chapter to see what's up with the story since I last saw it's first chapter, and woah tf kind of cringe is this.

hmmm hmph. almost every other arguments, counterarguments, debates, rants, diatribes, etc and so on is still surging on til we get to the end of it. but hey, it's going to get worst.

Friendly reminder that Nanase only confessed because "oh god she's the only girl who doesn't find my haircut stupid im in love "

Yuni: and that's how I met my first ex.

gotta say, Yuni and Nanase will never be together like this. Fuuko is really confronting the two with the hard truths about their relationship and.....while groping and making love to Yuni for good, sickening measure for Nanase to see, I guess... that tactic is out of nowhere but ok, that's what the author is going for then. either way, I can't wait for the next development. the comment sections is off the charts.

joined Mar 18, 2023

I find these characters really easy to understand and very convincing so that's a problem on your end, not bad writing.

That been said, it's not true that characters always have to be understood. Sometimes characters are deliberately written to be incomprehensible and that's a perfectly valid writing choice as long as it fits the story.

are you sure your perceived understanding is backed up by the stories narrative and isnt simply your own impression or interpretation of said narrative?

i assert that good writing can make the illogical become logical by presenting a good insight into the headspace of its character exploring the reasoning for the strange direction where upon bad writing forces the reader to use their own interpretation to make sense of its characters illogical decisions.

by the way in the right hands even incomprehensible characters become comprehensible as any story worth publishing would explore the mysteries involving such a character.there exists no person without a reason for their actions and since character simulate people there should not be a character truly incomprehensible.

joined Aug 8, 2020

Still no chapter 10 or volume 3?

70420323_p4_master1200-min
joined Dec 28, 2018

Only thing i like about this manga is the art rest is meh i wanted to enjoy it really but it's just so... Weird?

2021-02-06%2003_35_00-window
joined Aug 12, 2018

I feel like most of the people in this comment section either skimmed through the manga or just skipped straight to the latest chapter.
Yes, they have sex. Yuni thinks about three distinct times they did it, literally in chapter 2.

You guys should probably catch up with the missing chapters 10 to 15 on mangadex, because i really feel like most people here are talking without having read the entire manga lmao

last edited at May 20, 2023 9:17AM

joined Jul 21, 2020

I feel like most of the people in this comment section either skimmed through the manga or just skipped straight to the latest chapter.
Yes, they have sex. Yuni thinks about three distinct times they did it, literally in chapter 2.

You're talking about page 20, right? when Fuuko asks Yuni about sex with Nanase, and Yuni pictures herself and Nanase having sex during 3 panels.
I always thought it was a fantasy. Like Yuni went "Eh? Me and Nanase, have sex?" and then imagined for a few seconds what it would be like. But let's assume I'm wrong and it was a memory.
It doesn't look at all like she's thinking about three distinct times; more like it's a sequence of 3 scenes of the same roll in the hay. And it's certainly a memory from a while ago (since Yuni has been frustrated for some time when the manga starts) and we know for a fact that in the following 4 or 5 months nothing at all happens between Yuni and Nanase. So even if that part in page 20 was a memory and not a fantasy, it means they've had sex once (prolly when they became a couple) and then zilch for half a year. The case about Nanase having no real interest in Yuni's body still stands strong.

You guys should probably catch up with the missing chapters 10 to 15 on mangadex, because i really feel like most people here are talking without having read the entire manga lmao

Chapters 10 to 15 are clearly a big development arc in the manga. It starts with Yuni and Fuuko bonking at the Osaka hotel (btw a sex encounter totally initiated by Yuni). Then the story goes through many important moments between different characters (my favorite is when Yuni starts crying in Fuuko's arms, complaining about Nanase, and finishes with the words "I hate that bitch...") and it all leads to the final scene in chapter 15, the climactic stairs scene. In this scene Fuuko for the first time plays hardball with Yuni and talks about stopping their affair; Yuni panics and realizes she has come to need Fuuko so much she can't stand the idea of not having her; and then, as Yuni kisses Fuuko, Nanase discovers them.

I agree these are very important chapters both for the plot and the characters' development. But I'm not sure if any of this adds any data to the matter of Nanase's interest in sex with Yuni?

KatzeDerNacht
08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

You're talking about page 20, right? when Fuuko asks Yuni about sex with Nanase, and Yuni pictures herself and Nanase having sex during 3 panels.
I always thought it was a fantasy. Like Yuni went "Eh? Me and Nanase, have sex?" and then imagined for a few seconds what it would be like. But let's assume I'm wrong and it was a memory.
It doesn't look at all like she's thinking about three distinct times; more like it's a sequence of 3 scenes of the same roll in the hay. And it's certainly a memory from a while ago (since Yuni has been frustrated for some time when the manga starts) and we know for a fact that in the following 4 or 5 months nothing at all happens between Yuni and Nanase. So even if that part in page 20 was a memory and not a fantasy, it means they've had sex once (prolly when they became a couple) and then zilch for half a year. The case about Nanase having no real interest in Yuni's body still stands strong.

Chapters 10 to 15 are clearly a big development arc in the manga. It starts with Yuni and Fuuko bonking at the Osaka hotel (btw a sex encounter totally initiated by Yuni). Then the story goes through many important moments between different characters (my favorite is when Yuni starts crying in Fuuko's arms, complaining about Nanase, and finishes with the words "I hate that bitch...") and it all leads to the final scene in chapter 15, the climactic stairs scene. In this scene Fuuko for the first time plays hardball with Yuni and talks about stopping their affair; Yuni panics and realizes she has come to need Fuuko so much she can't stand the idea of not having her; and then, as Yuni kisses Fuuko, Nanase discovers them.

I agree these are very important chapters both for the plot and the characters' development. But I'm not sure if any of this adds any data to the matter of Nanase's interest in sex with Yuni?

Yeah they've had sex, the thing is, if Nanase can't make time to go on a regular date, make a phone call or reply on text, how could she make time to do the doobla dooba doo?? Even if she wanted to, maybe when they did have sex she was picturing Yuni as a volleyball ball.

To reply you must either login or sign up.