Forum › My Mom's a Superstar discussion

Miki_closeup
joined Mar 20, 2014

I can relate with Youzi's tendency to defend her favorite ship to the death. Still, violence is bad, mkay?

last edited at Dec 27, 2022 9:18AM

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Soren posted:

Huhhh Mom said, "Stop with the unnecessary details."
instead of saying she shouldn't say things that are untrue.

Ren X Mom confirmed.

Or, she didn't want to deny their ship's fanservice but I'd rather go with the former.

That's what I thought at first, so I went to check the raws.

"Stop with the unnecessary details." is awkward translation of 别给我乱讲多余的话!

Which basically means "Stop with your nonsense" and doesn't imply anything about her relationship with Ren.

Maybe the translator should have found a better wording to avoid misunderstanding.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Drat. But thanks for clarifying; I think we were all wondering where in the timeskips their actual hooking up had gotten lost.

Bié gěi wǒ luàn jiǎng duōyúde huà
"Don't give me unnecessary words" could mean nonsense or it could mean details.

"Bié gěi wǒ" is in the same order as in English - "don't give me. "

By itself, "luàn jiǎng duōyúde huà" can mean "talking nonsense" but in the context of giving, it can mean unnecessary details, I think.

"luàn jiǎng" means rambling and "duōyúde huà" means "[saying] extra words"

Also, this might be a clue to the mom - since what she said could be taken a couple of ways.

last edited at Dec 27, 2022 1:01PM

joined Apr 16, 2022

According to last panel Youzi's friend "knew all along" something, but what is it?
I can think of two things:
1) She knew all along that Bai Yue liked Youji, not Youzi.
2) She knew all along that Youji and Ren Wei are dating (which Youzi just said out loud).

But I can't figure which one it is... ( ͡ಠ ʖ̯ ͡ಠ)

I'm betting on #1: she knew he didn't like Youzi because she likes Youzi and so knows what it would look like.

Received_330739178846629
joined Jan 15, 2022

Youzi x her best friend is the real end game ship here guys

I agree!

Shinobu%20cain%202
joined Aug 19, 2015

According to last panel Youzi's friend "knew all along" something, but what is it?
I can think of two things:
1) She knew all along that Bai Yue liked Youji, not Youzi.
2) She knew all along that Youji and Ren Wei are dating (which Youzi just said out loud).

But I can't figure which one it is... ( ͡ಠ ʖ̯ ͡ಠ)

I'm betting on #1: she knew he didn't like Youzi because she likes Youzi and so knows what it would look like.

Which means when Youzi hugs her, it was all according to keikaku.

joined Jan 11, 2014

Fuck came back to this and I remember no one and nothing.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Happens to me even with more coherent series than this one.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Yay, another chapter! But it's a flashback...

Aw, who cares, I'm happy to see more of little Youzi and more Mom x Ren.

StudentOfEtherium
Djp09ca4_400x400
joined Dec 16, 2017

oh good i'm not the only one finding it hard to follow

also maybe it's just me, but the slow pacing for this series is a bit annoying. chapters are so short that it doesn't really feel like anything happens. maybe that's just because i find it hard to follow, but it doesn't feel like anything actually happens

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

also maybe it's just me, but the slow pacing for this series is a bit annoying. chapters are so short that it doesn't really feel like anything happens. maybe that's just because i find it hard to follow, but it doesn't feel like anything actually happens

I enjoy piecing the story together, it's a bit like a puzzle, with the picture becoming clearer with each piece you fit into place. If it helps:

Each chapter shares a little tidbit about Youzi, (the daughter,) Youji, (the mom/actress/superstar,) and/or Ren, (the singer,) with occasional snippets by the other supporting characters. The short chapters also make it pretty easy to review, but basically, what we know so far is that when Youzi was small, she met Ren because Ren was playing the song her mom sings to her. This led to Ren and Youji reconnecting after years apart, and Youzi picked up on their chemistry and started shipping it. 10 years have passed, and Youzi is now at that age where she's getting more proactive and she's actively trying to set her moms up with each other. She schemes with her friend to hatch plots to get Ren and Youji to interact.

The story pops back and forth between 10 years ago, around when Youzi and Ren first met, and the "present," where Youzi has sussed out that Mom is into women and is actively trying to set them up instead of passively shipping them like she did before. Youzi thinks her mom is into Auntie Chen, partly because of misunderstandings, but Youji x Ren is her OTP. And it seems like there's definitely history there; Youji has kept one of Ren's show tickets from before she was big, as a treasured keepsake. This might be when she met Ren, or first heard her sing, or maybe just her first show or something, it's still a little vague. Youji is taking singing and piano lessons from Ren, partly to create opportunities for the moms to interact. Her friend's mom is apparently Auntie Chen's sister, Director Chen, who is apparently aware of the girl's schemes and seems to have put her thumb on the scale at least once?

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

I enjoy piecing the story together, it's a bit like a puzzle, with the picture becoming clearer with each piece you fit into place.

I agree! also the way this story is being published is pretty sporadic from the author's weibo. these pieces that we've seen translated and are reading now are from a little while back already. it's bits and pieces because it's not a serialized work needing to have a strong plot to drive the work, but almost rather a slice of life with just enough information to tease the readers constantly.

i'm sure it'll at some point pick up the pace because the author likely already has milestone/specific story points in mind as she character/world builds, but it's quite cute to just relax and check in on youzi's life with her mom and auntie ren lol

joined Nov 21, 2022

I'm finding this comic confusing.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I agree! also the way this story is being published is pretty sporadic from the author's weibo. these pieces that we've seen translated and are reading now are from a little while back already. it's bits and pieces because it's not a serialized work needing to have a strong plot to drive the work, but almost rather a slice of life with just enough information to tease the readers constantly.

i'm sure it'll at some point pick up the pace because the author likely already has milestone/specific story points in mind as she character/world builds, but it's quite cute to just relax and check in on youzi's life with her mom and auntie ren lol

I'm wondering if it'd be worth putting together a chronological page timeline.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I'm wondering if it'd be worth putting together a chronological page timeline.

That is exactly how Sunstone got turned into a book back in the day. :D Šejić started drawing it as a random assortment of BDSM-themed Slice of life strips, then a fan tried putting them into a timeline, and when Šejić saw that, he decided to make a full story out of it, which eventually got a print release.

Images
joined Aug 19, 2018

I enjoy piecing the story together, it's a bit like a puzzle, with the picture becoming clearer with each piece you fit into place. If it helps:

Each chapter shares a little tidbit about Youzi, (the daughter,) Youji, (the mom/actress/superstar,) and/or Ren, (the singer,) with occasional snippets by the other supporting characters. The short chapters also make it pretty easy to review, but basically, what we know so far is that when Youzi was small, she met Ren because Ren was playing the song her mom sings to her. This led to Ren and Youji reconnecting after years apart, and Youzi picked up on their chemistry and started shipping it. 10 years have passed, and Youzi is now at that age where she's getting more proactive and she's actively trying to set her moms up with each other. She schemes with her friend to hatch plots to get Ren and Youji to interact.

The story pops back and forth between 10 years ago, around when Youzi and Ren first met, and the "present," where Youzi has sussed out that Mom is into women and is actively trying to set them up instead of passively shipping them like she did before. Youzi thinks her mom is into Auntie Chen, partly because of misunderstandings, but Youji x Ren is her OTP. And it seems like there's definitely history there; Youji has kept one of Ren's show tickets from before she was big, as a treasured keepsake. This might be when she met Ren, or first heard her sing, or maybe just her first show or something, it's still a little vague. Youji is taking singing and piano lessons from Ren, partly to create opportunities for the moms to interact. Her friend's mom is apparently Auntie Chen's sister, Director Chen, who is apparently aware of the girl's schemes and seems to have put her thumb on the scale at least once?

Welp, this comment needs to keep on going so that it'll refresh the series for me when it comes back

joined Jul 21, 2020

Welp, this comment needs to keep on going so that it'll refresh the series for me when it comes back

Speaking of refresh, anyone remembers the name of that girl who is Youzi's classmate and friend? This one:

I'm sure she'll be Youzi's romantic interest at some point. <3

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

Speaking of refresh, anyone remembers the name of that girl who is Youzi's classmate and friend? This one:

We know her nickname is CaiCai. Not sure what her full name is.

Freenbeckforever
joined Oct 28, 2022

I'm sure I remember she's the daughter of one of the Chen sisters. I can't recall which one without rereading... but dm whatever the case, CaiCai's surname must be Chen as well.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Sooo... development or yet another fakeout? :D

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

Honestly I've completely lost track of any sort of plot here lol

The_argent_god_100px_avatar
joined Jul 28, 2019

Honestly I've completely lost track of any sort of plot here lol

Same. I'm still reading cuz it's cute, but I've lost all sense of what sort of progression is going on with who and chiefly when.

Screenshot_2020-10-28_003849_2_2_69
joined Sep 14, 2014

one of the slowest stories i've read lol. It's been around 2 years and so little progression made

kuroyurihime00
Ebk63ajwkaeu2_4_1
joined Aug 1, 2020

"your mom has too many little secrets"
I wonder how close Ren and Youji were but most of all I wanna know what happened between the two of them !!!
I also love how wholesome the mother-daughter relationship is here.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I'm sure I remember she's the daughter of one of the Chen sisters. I can't recall which one without rereading... but dm whatever the case, CaiCai's surname must be Chen as well.

She's director Chen's daughter. Caicai might have her dad's surname, if she has a dad, we don't actually know what the deal is there.

We DO know that it was after seeing Caicai's text from Youzi about "The great operation to help my Mom woo Auntie Ren" that she went out of her way to set up the variety show with Ren and Youji. So that suggests that the Director ships it as well. (Or she thought it'd be good TV)

(Maybe she's trying to get Youji away from her sister)

last edited at Apr 11, 2023 11:23PM

145537335_456474152428619_7273272408325150170_n
joined Mar 13, 2020

It seems Chen isn't an option anymore. Shame I kinda wish this was another Namori's Nadeshiko mystery.

To reply you must either login or sign up.