Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

664cf739-1617-40c1-9f8a-ab01b71652f9%202
joined Sep 28, 2021

I switched from crush to oshi, because at this point of the relationship (Mitsuki's gender is known), "crush" was adding a romantic nuance which isn't there yet (at least in Aya's conscious mind).

Oshi is what Japanese people call a celebrity they have a preference for. In an idol group for example. Their "fave". Someone they idolize, but it doesn't have necessarily, or even that often, a romantic slant.

The thing is, Narita also called Mitsuki his "oshi" and Aya, in a previous chapter, gets in competition with him about who Mitsuki was the oshi of first. Then, I had to translate oshi in 3 different ways across that chapter and it's become untenable, because she might switch to a more romantic word later and their relationship is not textually romantic yet, as "crush" would imply.

Absolutely adore this little conscious tidbit on your part when it comes to translating. Thanks for really caring about how words will affect the story being conveyed. This lowkey made me miss doing translation studies even if I didn't focus on that area of theory (obviously I was in queer studies lmao).

Also, to add: awwwww, they're communicating. idk why i love Aya's crying face XD but man, it's so satisfying to see her blatant honesty and Mitsuke's (finally) honest response in turn. It's short, and maybe there's a world where this has a novelization that dives into the misunderstanding and apology, but I do love the latest chapter (the uncle wins it for me too lmao,, hard same, sir :))) )

Fzvftbrxoaepy3r%20copy
joined Feb 20, 2022

Mitsuki has such rizz

E1f7694b-042f-443d-a5cb-df7de61c8a40
joined Dec 29, 2013

Oh no, you’ve made Aya cry TAT

Download%20(11)
joined Jan 27, 2016

We are not friends
Yeah you dork you are way closer

Yurinium_replenished
joined Jan 27, 2021

Nice! Glad it's a continuation of previous one, plus now it's official that Koga has her bedroom in top of the CD store; one that.....is not soundproof it seems hahaha tho they were being loud hahaha
Now Im curious (tho not important) how is that place constructed, but given Aya reaction, it's in a way that doesn't resemble like you're "passing" from a store to a "house", that or Aya was just to angry to care hahaha

I’m guessing it’s a mixed-use building. The first floor is the shop, while the second floor is an apartment with a bedroom or two.

I mean, mixed-use, family-owned buildings where the people who run the downstairs business live upstairs are still quite common in Japan (and various other parts of the world, particularly in Asia and Europe).

This also reveals that Koga is - for some reason - living with her uncle instead of her parents.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

My guess is that Oosawa will be swayed by that tear-wiping move, because it’s smooth af, and Koga’s superpower is being smooth af without seeming to realize that she’s being smooth af.

76047650-352-k633682
joined Jul 17, 2015

Koga’s unconscious rizz saves the day once again

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

I think that at this point Aya already knows she doesn’t see Mitsuki the same as her other friends. She might have no put it into words yet, but when she broke down in frustration thinking “What do I have to do to get this through to her?” it felt more like heartbreak that someone you really want to get close to doesn’t get how much you see them as special.
I might be insensitive but I don’t think one would cry like that over someone they just wanted to be friends with. Call them an idiot, would say they wanted to get closer is normal, but the level of frustration Aya showed makes me think she never took Mitsuki out of the “romantic interest” place in her mind. It’s just that since it’s a girl putting it into words (which would mean a realisation about one’s own sexuality) is not an easy process.

That makes me think… Will the story continue after the physical release in April? If not, we only have 8 chapters left for Aya to realise it and tell Mitsuki. That’s just 32 pages and imo it’s a bit too early (??)
Anyways, as long as the author ends the story in a nice way I won’t complain about the pacing.

Screenshot_2019-08-25%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20social%20anxiety%20vs%20yuri%20ch04(1)
joined Aug 12, 2019

Baby gay steps. And Aya's slowly (failing) building resistance to smoothki's moves lol

she has a long way to go on that.

Stay strong, uncle.

and staying out of it.

So the uncle tell her where MItsuki's room is??

he has to. Aya was going scorched earth and he doesn't want none of that.

I like how messy and incomplete the making-up was. Far too often in romcoms a major faux pas is cleared in a single chapter with everything cleanly forgiven and immediately forgotten. But here, the grievance has not been fully aired, nor the apology, fully accepted. Even if this never gets brought up again in the future, I like it.

I agree. this is more realistic and grounded.

Screenshot_2019-08-25%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20social%20anxiety%20vs%20yuri%20ch04(1)
joined Aug 12, 2019

I think that at this point Aya already knows she doesn’t see Mitsuki the same as her other friends. She might have no put it into words yet, but when she broke down in frustration thinking “What do I have to do to get this through to her?” it felt more like heartbreak that someone you really want to get close to doesn’t get how much you see them as special.
I might be insensitive but I don’t think one would cry like that over someone they just wanted to be friends with. Call them an idiot, would say they wanted to get closer is normal, but the level of frustration Aya showed makes me think she never took Mitsuki out of the “romantic interest” place in her mind. It’s just that since it’s a girl putting it into words (which would mean a realisation about one’s own sexuality) is not an easy process.

Aya got her heart set out on this concert date. she still have the crush mentality for Mitsuki so it makes sense for Aya to be this way.

That makes me think… Will the story continue after the physical release in April? If not, we only have 8 chapters left for Aya to realise it and tell Mitsuki. That’s just 32 pages and imo it’s a bit too early (??)
Anyways, as long as the author ends the story in a nice way I won’t complain about the pacing.

this was something I thread about after hearing the publication announcement. it's a great thing for the author so we might as well enjoy the ride for the next 2 months.

joined Sep 25, 2020

yves tumor poster mitsuki is literally me

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

My guess is that Oosawa will be swayed by that tear-wiping move, because it’s smooth af, and Koga’s superpower is being smooth af without seeming to realize that she’s being smooth af.

Probably. At any rate, with this chapter we seem to have the answer to what's been the most burning question of this story so far: Apparently all those smooth moves really are unconscious.

joined Aug 20, 2022

Mitsuki is a such a gorgeous dummy. Good luck, Aya!

2024-01-09%2004_02_51-3%20_%20chapter%20162%20-%20the%20100%20girlfriends%20who%20really,%20really,%20really,%20really,%20really
joined May 28, 2020

I just thought her name was Oshi since that was untranslated.

Que_verduras_puede_comer_mi_hamster_29106_600
joined Nov 13, 2022

this was something I thread about after hearing the publication announcement. it's a great thing for the author so we might as well enjoy the ride for the next 2 months.

Same with you both with the thinking of enjoy it whatever it will over after that or not. Just that I think it could be too, just a "Part 1" of their story, but we dont know the terms the author did with the publisher, some mangas are some "small" than others. And even writing this comment I didn't check if the name in the sites of sale have some description of this.
Could be like happened in Tw, that the part 1 (and this publication) is going to involve until they become friends.
So~ 20 chapters lets say (not counting extras and less just in case I forgot something), 40 pages? plus some extras~
Sorry if I did some horrible calculation hahaha writing this kinda fast hahaha

732535__safe_anthro_vinyl%20scratch_octavia_dj%20pon-dash-3_octavia%20melody_artist-colon-theyoungreaper1
joined Mar 14, 2016

If this doesn't smell like teen spirit, then I don't know if anything does

joined Aug 12, 2019

If this doesn't smell like teen spirit, then I don't know if anything does

Mitsuki is Kurt Cobain and Aya is her Cour.......nevermind! scratch what I said!!

joined Sep 25, 2022

IlovethisIlovethisIlovethisIlovethisIlovethisIlovethisIlovethisIlovethisIlovethisIlovethisIlovethisIlovethis

joined Jan 14, 2020

So much for last chapter's analyses that had uncle driving Aya to Mitsuki's house and then escaping with "brrmmm".

%e5%be%ae%e4%bf%a1%e5%9b%be%e7%89%87_20230926175400
joined Feb 13, 2023

"I won't be swayed by that kind of move..."
The hell you won't but indeed you already were. bahahaha--

Nekopop%20avatar%20resized
joined Aug 12, 2020

When you really really want a fifth panel

Smallerowl2jpg
joined May 5, 2020

This could just be 200 chapters of Koga being accidentally smooth and I'd eat them all up.

That said, middle panel of final page has big "Didn't I do it for you?" vibes and I can't unsee it now...

Akari-mizunashi-transparent%203
joined Oct 10, 2014

Uncle please tell these two teenagers that they aren't "friends"

_warningm_edited
joined Jan 15, 2021

Uncle probably did the smart thing, which is, as soon as he heard the girls start their 'conversation', pull out a classic rock album (my head cannon says Blind Faith, but could be anything) and crank the sound on his headphones so he knows nothing that goes on upstairs.

last edited at Feb 20, 2023 8:13PM

001q2gaply1h533fjj99pj60sg148tgw02
joined Sep 11, 2021

think what i really appreciate is how they look like teenagers in high school

feel like kids in manga either look like 30 year olds whove been cycling hrts since they were born or got xenoblade level tiddies

To reply you must either login or sign up.