Forum › Hanamonogatari discussion

Huh
joined Dec 16, 2020

I had been hoping that a team would pick up this series! I don't know if it will actually go into yuri territory but it's always nice to have an older lead in manga.

last edited at Jan 27, 2023 6:46PM

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

Oh, this looks nice! Get it Granny!

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

Oh no this is so precious, i love this? You go Gran, get yourself that fine woman

Blushy%20(1)
joined Jun 14, 2022

This is adorable. Whether this ends up being Yuri, Subtext or just gals being actual pals, this is way different from most of the stuff around here. Excited for more.

De
joined Jun 14, 2021

Old lady yuri! Old Lady yuri! I love this.

Old%20man%20prof
joined Oct 25, 2022

Hell yeah, I'm so happy someone picked this up! I came across the raws for this series awhile back and thought it was really great. Can't wait for more. I love her double take when seeing Yoshiko for the first time XD

We need more stories like this here!

Fb_img_1685314561718
joined Mar 16, 2022

Thought it was Yoshiya Nobuko's works.

Edit: they took it as reference .-.

last edited at Jan 27, 2023 7:26PM

Eri
joined Aug 30, 2020

Ah, this is quite nice. I hope it ends up as yuri and not subtext, but I will take this as it is regardless.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Jan 7, 2018

Does the author have Pixiv or twitter?

Iu0x5sm
joined Nov 23, 2015

Well, this is a bit different! Solid start, looking forwards to seeing how it progresses!

Img_20220602_141642-min%20(1)%20(1)%20(1)
joined Feb 5, 2020

old ladies deserve more love!
less crap husbands!
and gal pals (or gal pals)!!

Sk_fb
joined Feb 17, 2013

Awwwwww. So cute.

Dont%20ruin%20your%20life%20stardom
joined Apr 21, 2020

So grateful to Yuri Project for working on this series!

Unnamed
joined Nov 6, 2018

Hey, this isn't Nisio Isin!

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

more gilf yuri lets gooooo

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

I had been hoping that a team would pick up this series! I don't know if it will actually go into yuri territory but it's always nice to have an older lead in manga.

Imo the fact that the series very prominently features/references Yoshiya Nobuko I think it's likely this will progress into an actual romance, considering Yoshiya Nobuko's contributions to the yuri genre in Japan

joined Jul 15, 2021

So, since Hana Monogatari was referenced in this manga... Does anyone know if there's an English translation of Hana Monogatari (or any efforts to translate it)?

This is making me really curious about the contents of the anthogy, particularly Sweet Pea

D5aad09a-7f7c-4c16-aad1-2b0b94587149
joined Nov 13, 2022

quietly begins to undo years of verbal abuse

quietly passes her a collection of classic genre-shaping sapphic stories

quietly steals her heart

The art is SO good and I now love both these women intensely and want them to be happy together by any means :')

Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

The book esthetician hands over to the protagonist is a hint that this is a GL story of some sort.

Nobuko is like the original yuri novel author in Japan. She wrote the "Two Virgins in Attic", which is widely considered the first time a writer dared to step outside of Class S style conventions and suggest actual proper relationship between the two female main characters.

"Hana Monogatari" is a collection of Class S style stories from same author. First story of that collection is kind of like reflected here in this first chapter, because it's about middle aged women looking back at their lives, regrets and other such topics. Protagonist's life here is kind of like Class S afterstory, she wasn't exactly happily married towards the end, as can be seen from her memories. Perhaps she never was, I'm sure we'll find out eventually.

last edited at Jan 27, 2023 11:55PM

joined Jan 13, 2021

Well, this is a breath of fresh air! I really like stories that employ intertextuality and metatextuality to discuss the ways in which peripheral and marginal figures navigate sociocultural fields that frame them in negativity, as phantoms ominous or abject, an alienation felt with especial keenness by Hanayo, positioned as she is in collocation with an implicit death that is at once scripted insofar as her own family deploys subtle narratives of burdening and senility toward her, and yet also inducive of an erosion of structure and convention, a place into which the forces that have dominated and maneuvered her life cannot fully reach, leading her to enter a space of liminality that is not so much a waiting as a beginning, a slim freedom for which the price of decades has been paid, but is nevertheless all the more enjoyable for what she has left- not remnants, but cultivation, vigor and wisdom all at once, the sagacity to be giddy and hopeful and carefree again, for such things were never the monopoly of youth. In this space, constructed as it is from the false binary of seniority and youth, she feels with especial keenness the pressure of 'both' worlds, manifested in the voice of the ghost that dogs her with the terror that this joyless repression shall be her beginning and her end, and the charge for liberation that drives the action of this tale must begin from her very body, that first and foremost space onto which these narratives are inscribed and enacted, a space that she fears losing control of due to a host of maladies and pressures, but also her final bastion and first step, the key to senses, thoughts and agency.

It is right and beautiful, then, to express this convalescent independence through a reclamation of the cosmetic, a sphere in relation to which older women are once again ambivalently positioned. Popular narratives under an ageist patriarchy often frame makeup as both deception and dependency, an act of masquerading that implicitly creates the horror of an unflattering unmasking or abject 'real' behind the veil, and at the same time valorizes those who may so skillfully 'veil' themselves as to take on the equivalence of an impenetrable 'naturalness', so synthesizing a race toward spontaneity and exhausting standards if one feels the need to conform to social conceptions of beauty. Conversely, if makeup is framed as an often-dangerous agency in 'younger' women, it must be denied to 'older' women in order to construct them contrastingly as victims of nature, neither deceptive and nor active, but 'real' insofar as they make no appeals to change the minds of others, and are indeed seen as losing control over their own. This pressure to conform to a degrading and fatalistic 'reality' is (dis)embodied in the voice of the husband that lingers after his death, functioning as the injunction of an dominant and oppressive system that sorts women into hierarchies of subordinated temporality, exerting a measure of control over Hanayo from the afterlife, a persistent and invasive thought process that demonstrates the degree to which these toxic schemata have shaped her life, and also disturbingly reflecting her fears of losing control of her own thoughts, the result here of not senescence, but subjection to a system wherein women are only ever maidens, mothers or crones.

Hanayo's embrace of cosmetics, however, serves to interrupt this subordinating thrust of misogynistic ageism, achieving as Yoshiko points out not a 'hiding', but rather a texturing and emphasis, perhaps even a revelation of her hungry, vibrant, ardent desire to live and shine. The authoring one's own life as a metaphor for cosmetics is especially charming, as it frames the self as a work-in-progress, a grand venture, but not one that must be conducted for success under any particular market or gaze, for the dream of good reception in the auction of lifetimes that so many women are tossed into to fetch a good price- no, the only goal in Yoshiko's vision of the cosmetic is expression, creativity, honesty-as-personhood, and a blooming that shall never wilt, but draws on time indeed as its star and shower, fueled by countless moments into a present eternity. This story understands that people are at every point and every age cosmetic and authored, their notions and presentations of beauty shaped and responded to by an everpresent social gaze, which is written in and of itself by a multitude of texts ranging from product descriptions to lifestyle TV to folklore to literature, all of which Hanayo encounters over the course of this chapter. However, it is precisely because of the multiplicity of these sources that absolute consistency and control cannot exist, and so people discover a capacity for navigation, negotiation, invention and expression among uncemented derivatives and doodled margins, creating faces as flexible as paper and relations as complex as calligraphy, painting across the pages of themselves, be they bunched or sticky or yellowing or rumpled, the stories of a life. I eagerly anticipate the next chapter of Hanayo's.

joined Oct 2, 2021

Edited down

Gilfs for life

last edited at Jan 28, 2023 2:45AM

joined Dec 21, 2016

I got that same edition of hanamonogatari!

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

Local grandma discovers gay panic. Gets all cute and blushy.

last edited at Jan 28, 2023 4:04AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Toxic husband was toxic.

To reply you must either login or sign up.