Forum › A Scummy Gap Student With a Hard Life Calls Upon a Lady of the Night discussion

Kanata%20emma%20cute%20cat%20laying
joined Apr 23, 2021

I love the part where she said "It's scumbag time!" and started scumming all over the place.

Lojsdbe
joined Sep 16, 2019

I swear, the heavy drama on display in these past few chapters being immediately followed by the author being an absolute ray of positivity is weird and amazing at the same time.

joined May 10, 2021

She had to go and call her "Maron" huh. Well played, you outscummed the self proclaimed scumbag... You scum.
Also I fucking ADORE the author's interventions.

last edited at Jan 23, 2023 1:45PM

TheAlmightyUltimus
Hyper%20kabuto
joined Oct 30, 2018

...I think I might have a weak spot for scumbag x scumbag stories

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Redemption! Redemption!!!

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

Damn Makino just getting hit in the face with a brick of redemption huh our little scumbag is growing up on us.

Kinda messed up she said Maron and not Satou.. If she would have said her actual name there is a very slight chance she would have agreed to at least a date. Granted she probably will eventually anyway but you were so close Makino you almost did the right thing.

last edited at Jan 23, 2023 4:02PM

20220125_003513
joined Jan 30, 2013

Idk two people who are absolutely shitty but end up redeeming themselves is good. Ofc they'd have to work on themselves more to truly understand why they actually deserve one another. We're here for the long run bois

joined May 24, 2014

and then, they were both scumbags

joined Jan 24, 2022

It would be funny if they start revealing all the scummy things they've done as a competition to see who's the scummier one

Makino: "But I'm a scumbag too! I stalked you like crazy and then stalked your sister and then black mailed my sister for money just to get closer to you!"
Maron: "Yo wtf"

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Makino: " Are you challenging me? Instead of normal excuses you're throwing the Scumbag card?"
Satou: "our love story would be too standard if I didn't "
Makino: "Then I'll tell you about being scummy really is!"

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

You must love Fuzoroi no Renri then

Daremo from Parts Unknown
joined May 6, 2022

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

That preview she chose is definitely the first new page,fun stuff.

joined Feb 7, 2022

I feel that this would eventually lead to the sex moment which Satou would offer and Makino, now has grown more mature, would refuse as she now only care about giving Satou happiness but eventually accepts.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

You must love Fuzoroi no Renri then

They both have hearts of gold. Maybe this couple does, too. Albeit younger one in FunoRen is pretty honest and decent, on balance.

joined Oct 20, 2022

scumbag x scumbag. winwin!

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

... so, were there any alternative translations to "scumbag"? I feel like this is the kind of moment where a particular choice of words might slightly backfire after 40 chapters, but I don't know Japanese so it's just a guess

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

... so, were there any alternative translations to "scumbag"? I feel like this is the kind of moment where a particular choice of words might slightly backfire after 40 chapters, but I don't know Japanese so it's just a guess

The main word is クズ, which is often translated as some variant of the word "scum", and I doubt there's gonna be any distinction made between scum and a bag full of it any time soon. Really the only part of the title I'm taking a few liberties with is translating 浪人生 as "gap student" just cos it gets across clearer in a title than describing the concept of ronins. (Although I do stick with "ronin" in my Slow Start translations mainly due to the sheer amount of samurai jokes they get out of it.)

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

The main word is クズ, which is often translated as some variant of the word "scum", and I doubt there's gonna be any distinction made between scum and a bag full of it any time soon. Really the only part of the title I'm taking a few liberties with is translating 浪人生 as "gap student" just cos it gets across clearer in a title than describing the concept of ronins. (Although I do stick with "ronin" in my Slow Start translations mainly due to the sheer amount of samurai jokes they get out of it.)

So a Ronin is slang for a student that follows no teacher?

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

So a Ronin is slang for a student that follows no teacher?

Its original meaning is "a samurai without a master", but in modern lingo, it's a student who doesn't immediately advance to higher education upon graduation, either to take time off for travel/self reflection/etc., which the "gap student" definition leans more towards, or because they couldn't get into any of the schools they applied to, such is the case with this and Slow Start.

joined Oct 2, 2021

Its ok , when it comes to scum none come close to Makino. Now's the time for Makino to shine and dominate Satou with her scummyness.

joined Mar 27, 2021

So chapter 24's title wasn't misleading, it was foreshadowing.

Eri
joined Aug 30, 2020

Task failed successfully!

Lojsdbe
joined Sep 16, 2019

HAH! Idiot clam jammed herself.

Seriously, though, I loved this chapter. It feels a bit like starting back at square 1, but it will be nice to get a look at Satou’s true personality when she’s not hiding beneath her “Maron” guise.

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Yay! I really liked the development of this chapter! Glad it did end up with the just starting over as friends route. Looking forward to seeing how their interactions will be like now.

To reply you must either login or sign up.