Forum › Brides of Iberis discussion

9a905fe6a22b0201f7ade2de48a73f8d
joined Jan 22, 2014

I have just picked this up and it feels like a well written train wreck. It's looking like a what a scums wish should have been. Not my thing either way but as train wrecks happen, I can never seem to look away.

I can always respect and author that's willing to do justice to this kinda story.

Scum's Wish teased a lot of interesting relationships, only to never committed to any of them, and end up with the most vanilla, most bland thing possible. Something mainstream manga authors seemingly love to do. They tease the big "forbidden" themes, sometimes even in the title, and then of course never actually commit to any of them.

Brides of Iberis at least properly commits to its themes, but given that, this was written by the same author as Octave, it had a snowball's chance in hell for a good ending. And that's ok. The ending perfectly suits the themes of the series, and it's how realistically a story like this would usually end.

But I always felt that trying to make and ending "realistic" often get in the way of making it "great". There are no endings in real life. No definite end points, no fast forward 10 years, no happily ever afters. And the unexpected does happen all the time. So I always felt, that even for a manga cemented in realism, the ending was the one place, where that restraint should be a lifted slightly. To make an ending that is more than "all as expected", to end the series on a high note. It doesn't have to be a happily ever after (and in fact it shouldn't), just allow yourself to make and ending that is merely plasuble, but noth the most common.

All is to say, yeah totally wanted them to end up together, I kind of have a thing for morally fallen characters, who instead of taking the moral high ground (like Mitsuki did), end up on a morally questionable path, and stay there.

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

Omg a new Temp essay on page 19 I can't believe I missed it
Temp will you marry me

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

Who's the glasses woman at the end?

At least the ending isn't that bad as Octave's

I've never heard of Octave, but I would have used Lily Marble as comparison instead

joined Dec 24, 2022

Who says it was axed? I mean, sincerely, was there a twitter post I missed somewhere where the author lamented having to cut the story short, or are people just assuming it was cancelled because they assumed it was intended to be a long story?

There's a trend on here where people assume that because a story isn't long that it must have been cancelled. This was a story about a monogamous person who has fallen in love with a polyamorous person. It's like watching a car drive at a brick wall. Yeah, it's moving smoothly enough now, but you know it can't go for long, and when it hits, it's gonna stop suddenly and violently.

So yeah, this ending is what I have been expecting for several chapters? Edit: Honestly, I don't really see how you could make it longer if you wanted to. Brick wall is brick wall, yo.

Sorry for didn't respond you earlier lol.
I would think it as axed because Akiyama Haru's manga is featured as the delicate emotion drawing, the octave really gave me a strong impact about it, besides I feel that the colleague will play more significant role in this story since so much description on him towards which just like a foreshadowing so... There's no sure proof so I intuit that in a way.lol My comment was rush to conclusion indeed. Anyway I feel really happy about the end
Lastly, I would say the post below said much better than me lol.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

This was a fascinating read. I really enjoyed it, although the ending was quite abrupt with a lot of feelings and themes left unexplored.

Erika_senoo
joined Sep 13, 2017

I hope she has more luck in another magazine.

This story would have much more love in Yuri Hime or similar.

Her drawing evolved so much since her Octave times. It is one of my favorite art styles now.

last edited at Jan 9, 2023 6:27PM

Torako-okay4
joined Oct 17, 2017

The timeskip at the end was worth the last couple chapters of eye-roll worthy drama

Untitled
joined May 15, 2014

anything that has a "Het" tag in """"""Yuri""""""" manga, it always never ends with the two main women together. so that should always be a red flag lol what a shit ending. nanami got what she wanted, sleep with a woman and marry the man.

"Please look forward to Akiyama Haru's next work!"

yeah I don't think i will. blacklisting that author next time

last edited at Jan 17, 2023 2:33AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

konpelto posted:

anything that has a "Het" tag in """"""Yuri""""""" manga, it always never ends with the two main women together. so that should always be a red flag lol

what a shit ending. nanami got what she wanted, sleep with a woman and marry the man.

Are you shitting on bi people?

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

konpelto posted:

anything that has a "Het" tag in """"""Yuri""""""" manga, it always never ends with the two main women together. so that should always be a red flag lol

what a shit ending. nanami got what she wanted, sleep with a woman and marry the man.

Are you shitting on bi people?

They're constantly on that biphobia bs

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

konpelto posted:

anything that has a "Het" tag in """"""Yuri""""""" manga, it always never ends with the two main women together. so that should always be a red flag lol what a shit ending. nanami got what she wanted, sleep with a woman and marry the man.

"Please look forward to Akiyama Haru's next work!"

yeah I don't think i will. blacklisting that author next time

Your post history is filled with biphobic comments like this one. You've already been warned once. I don't see much value in posts like these, so you've been removed from the forums. Take care.

Tumblr_inline_nmpg2zqwcs1s53ljo_100
joined Apr 4, 2014

This was good, really good. I thought mc will get her heart broken and remain single and never see her again but not only did she end up finding a lover to marry, she saw her first (real?) Love! I would've been satisfied with a tragic ending but it turned out pretty well.

I'm also one of those people who really enjoy drama like My girlfriend's not here today or any of Kodama Naoko's work so could just be me and my corrupted soul =D

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Finally finished this one, what a nice story. I really liked the ending. I was thinking it was about how Mitsuki recognized Nanami couldn't love her the way she wanted to be loved and so she moved on. But the way their eyes met and both their smiles on those last pages changed the meaning for me. At the end, Mitsuki loves her current girlfriend, but she still loves Nanami as well. Regardless, she's happy about the way things turned out, because she ended up getting the kind of relationship she wanted.

I think it's very deliberate that Mitsuki's ambivalent about having a wedding herself until she admits that she wants to marry Tsuzuki, and that's what triggers her to reevaluate their relationship. She didn't break up with Nanami because she didn't feel like her love was reciprocated, but because she realized she wanted to be in a monogamous relationship, and Nanmi couldn't provide that for her. She wouldn't be happy being with a married woman, and she also wanted Nanmi to be happy, so stepping aside was her way of showing her love for Nanami, but also her way of caring for herself.

My interpretation is that the author is saying it's fairly common for someone to be in love with multiple people at the same time, but for most jealousy or personal preference make it more natural to be in a romantic relationship with just one person at a time. And I think that's probably true. There are people like Nanami and her husband who are fine with their partner having other relationships, or people who can be in one relationship with more than two people. But most of us prefer to choose one of the people we love and stick with them, or to at least break up with them before moving onto somebody else.

I think I ultimately prefer Octave over this, but they're both excellent, Akiyama Haru is a very interesting author.

joined Apr 10, 2023

This manga is great, I love unique narratives like this and it's executed extremely well. Hot take, but I don't think there's actually any cheating in this manga. Not even Mitsuki kissing Nanami before breaking up with Jun, because as soon as she does one thing she immediately goes and does the other. She never tries to "cheat" Jun: when her feelings become undeniable, she makes a choice. She does not try to have her cake and eat it too as you might see in, for example, "Indigo Blue".
It's fascinating to me that some people loved this ending and others hated it, some think it's a happy ending and others a miserable one. I think it's great, with one important thing missing: a continued friendship between our main characters. It's the thing "How Do We Relationship?" has that makes it feel the most like real life queer experiences than any other manga. In my experience queer people are way more likely to be friends with exes than straight people and it's something that makes me happy. Wish it was here, but great manga otherwise.

Purple_rgb125-0-175
joined Jan 31, 2018

Based. I had the same opinion with Octave but I don't think there is anything specifically wrong with the ending - the main points about a transient love and our main character being honest with herself were conveyed well I think, no reason to really drag out the story.
I expected this story to be way more messy considering how Octave went, but it's nice that there was actual communication this time.
Again with Octave, there is something very real and important (wish I had better terms) about this story that made me glad I read it. I wouldn't say it's to the point of being a masterpiece but it's in the direction of being one, simply because the author knows what they want to write and just sticks with it.

342713096_945190890232560_6363820535049258469_n
joined Mar 18, 2023

Real life. I was expecting biphobia people coming out of the woodwork....this is less of a Yuri story than a poly one. It just happened that we have two bisexual poly MCs. In the end it is about love. I know how that whole story feels.

To reply you must either login or sign up.