Forum › Yamada to Kase-san discussion

Old%20man%20prof
joined Oct 25, 2022

The only way I think this arc can be saved is if it actually leads to some growth from Kase. I actually quite liked the last volume, especially the Christmas date, because it highlighted how far Yamada has come; for most of the series, Yamada has been the shy, meek, and insecure one, with Kase swooping in to settle all her worries, but now Yamada is taking serious steps to advance their relationship, and is thinking about their life after school, while Kase is stuck in a high school mindset, both for her own life, and her relationship with Yamada. For both their sakes, she needs to grow up, and hopefully this arc resolves with her at least taking a first step.

Ss%20(2022-10-15%20at%2007.19.30)
joined Aug 19, 2021

It's this kind of chapter that really makes me think the sequel was absolutely not necessary

last edited at Dec 30, 2022 9:22AM

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

The real question is whether or not this will ultimately mean anything. One of the biggest issues with this series is that every time Kase acts like a jackass she sees little or no consequence from it.

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015

Given that it's all torches and pitchforks in here, anyone have any idea about fan feedback on their twitter?
Just curious for a comparison of a local perspective.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Given that it's all torches and pitchforks in here, anyone have any idea about fan feedback on their twitter?

I do not, I'm sorry to say, and I hope you get an informed response to your question.

But to clarify my own part of the "torches and pitchforks," for me it's not at all "This isn't what I want to happen in the story" or "X character/characters are being bad imaginary people," but rather, "This development doesn't really make sense given the situation and the previous characterizations."

The only thing I can even conceive of to mitigate the authorial misstep here is to speculate that there might be some kind of specific extreme-loyalty/responsibility-to-the-in-group culture at Japanese athletic universities that would make a response to Fukami like, "Why the hell should you have any say in where I live?" out of bounds.

But that's a huge stretch on my part.

Munch
joined Mar 23, 2021

Kase's a retard

Miki_closeup
joined Mar 20, 2014

Kase's a retard

That's putting it mildly. I honestly hope that this will lead to Yamada finally blowing her casket and dragging Kase out of those dorms. "Enough of this. We're gonna live together and that's that!"

Really, the main issue I have with this series is that Yamada is often too kind-hearted for her own good.

last edited at Dec 30, 2022 3:44PM

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

I feel kinda bad that Kase's getting all the flack here. You can definitely see she's trying to turn Fukami down right before Inoue-senpai comes in and ruins everything. (No arguing with Inoue getting the fuck off award, though). And while her phrasing on the text certainly could've been better, she's at least communicating with her girlfriend (to the extent that one can late at night after curfew in a dorm of raging lesbians anyway).

Munch
joined Mar 23, 2021

I feel kinda bad that Kase's getting all the flack here. You can definitely see she's trying to turn Fukami down right before Inoue-senpai comes in and ruins everything. (No arguing with Inoue getting the fuck off award, though). And while her phrasing on the text certainly could've been better, she's at least communicating with her girlfriend (to the extent that one can late at night after curfew in a dorm of raging lesbians anyway).

This is 100% Kase's fault. Just communicate with people, say no, whatever. Just do something. She could easily say no to the race and they might be mad for a bit but most of her friends probably won't care too much. Or even better, just tell your roommate you have a girlfriend

joined Jan 14, 2020

Yes, Kase resisted, but she gave in at the end, on something you really shouldn't give in on.

Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

I reread the chapter and its still shitty but Kase is way overdue to come out to her teammates so this is pretty much setting that up, if nothing else. She needs to at least leave on good terms with them, I guess.

'FMC puts things on hold for the worst fucking reason ever' is my least favorite shoujo manga trope and I'm not entirely confident its the last time we'll see it here either. Its the price you pay for the fluff I suppose... there's not that many yuri dealing in established relationships either.

Untitled
joined Jan 23, 2022

So they decide everything with Duel now?

joined Nov 6, 2021

Wtf is this arc? Why are 90% of the characters being idiots? I am shocked (not in a good way) with where this is going. If this was my gf telling me to wait bc she has to race some random chick to live with me, i would go to that damn dorm and end that mess myself (no physical violence, only verbal violence).

joined Oct 27, 2018

I will never understand why some of y'all get so pressed about people not liking stuff.

joined Jul 28, 2022

F*U Kase-san!

No really, that's all, wanted to share without reflection.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

"Mizusawa san, it's Fukami. .... Call you Matsuri-chan? Uhhh ... I don't think that's a good idea. .... Anyway, you said if I was a total bitch and got in the way of Yamada and Kase-sans, it would keep the series from being too fluffy, and we'd get an anime. But it doesn't seem to be working. ... So, I should call Kase-san 'Tomoka-nee-san??' Why? I bought the headphones like you said, but Kase-san didn't seem to notice. Fine! I'll keep trying."

joined Jul 23, 2019

I know people say she has a crush on Kase, but in order to maintain that crush she's ignoring the fact that she knows Kase has a significant other, and she confronts Kase only with petulance, aggression, and bullying.

Fukami knows Kase has a significant other?? When did she find out???

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

I know people say she has a crush on Kase, but in order to maintain that crush she's ignoring the fact that she knows Kase has a significant other, and she confronts Kase only with petulance, aggression, and bullying.

Chapter 7, although Fukami currently assumes it's a guy.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Chapter 7, although Fukami currently assumes it's a guy.

Everyone was bad in that chapter, but Kase-san was probably the most grounded and honest. Yamada and Kase-san are both quite flawed and insecure. They make Akko and Mari look sane, and I wouldn't have said that when I was first getting into this series.

In most situations, I side with Yamada, but frankly, sometimes having her as a girlfriend must be a pain. She has so little self-esteem you have to monitor her for getting depressed and closing you out constantly.

Arqxpgpd_700w_0
joined Apr 2, 2018

Truth be told, this is the first time I've hated this chapter... It wasn't supposed to be like this.

Kiddyland_sailor_waddle_dee
joined Dec 16, 2018

Kase puts Run Club over GF for the 100000000th time. Still not as annoying as the Inoue plot from the first series at least?

9a00c9266063a6978b780a51729c5fe9
joined Nov 17, 2018

Dump her yamada! You shouldn't let yourself be treated like this

joined Dec 22, 2020

After all the trouble looking for the property n deep thinking which to choose n boom!! Kase destroy it for shitty race sigh sometimes the smallest matter is the most important matter

Screenshot_20211218_223644
joined Nov 25, 2021

I would normally take yamada's jealousy as a way of her in securities lacking out (or as plot device) but this time I'm obviously siding with her, kase is just oblivious but girl, fukami has no right to be acting like this, I get it her feelings or whatever, and kase doesn't suspect a thing, idk it just frustrates me I hope this problem doesn't scales more than necessary or get us into useless drama

joined Jul 19, 2011

Well this is annoying. Yamada waves away all the poor decisions Kase has made to instead focus once again on being jealous that Kase is talking about another girl. So neither of them will learn anything from this whole disaster. Which means this will likely just be a huge pile of shallow drama instead of an impetus for some character development. I really hope I'm wrong, but given how poorly this arc has been handled so far I doubt I am, alas.

To reply you must either login or sign up.