Forum › Yamada to Kase-san discussion

Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

I know its a tried and true shoujo formula for dragging things out but its still infuriating.

joined Apr 22, 2014

It's often been Yamada who's shown as being overly worried (though they're both kinda jealous and oblivious about each other's jealousy), but this is straight up garbage behavior from Kase. This is the kind of chapter that doesn't make you think "misunderstanding to be resolved" but rather "you do not deserve your girlfriend".

Dy
joined Dec 26, 2011

I’ve had the raws of this chapter for weeks, and it took me so long to typeset it because, other than being quite busy in real life, I couldn’t stand to work on more than a page at a time I was so enraged with the plot. Kase is a spineless wimp and I wanted to slap HARD everyone but poor Yamada.

Anyway, I want to contribute to the discussion with two facts:
- Inoue senpai definitely knows about Kase and Yamada being gfs, she says so in the original series (chapter 17, crepes and Kase-san) so her not supporting Kase here is a shitty move.
- Fukami doesn’t know Yamada is Kase’s gf, but she knows that Kase is dating someone: we’ve seen her overhear bits of phone conversations between the lovebirds, and what’s more she’s subconsciously putting 2+2 together and having an inkling about Yamada being more than just Kase’s friend. She sucks, anyway.

last edited at Dec 29, 2022 6:53PM

joined Mar 16, 2017

As a long time reader and a fan of the author and series-- DAMN this bs of a chapter really open my eyes. Pushing the stupid thing Kase did aside-- Kase has yet really showed much character development? She's the same as her high school self (gets jealous, overprotective, & especially cannot say no). I'm not saying she should be an adult right away, there's so much time to grow but it feels like I haven't seen much of that so far?? As for Yamada, she's the same personality wise but she really has grown and went outside her comfort zone MANY times. I just really can't say the same for Kase-- I dunno maybe this stupid race will open her eyes that she can't please everyone and maybe have something called PRIORITIES. All I can do is hope for her to somewhat grow out of whatever this is-- this conflict is so highschool and so frustrating.

Aoi%20nagisa%20-%20s
joined Aug 17, 2012

Argh, can't articulate how much I dislike this chapter. Kase needs a metaphorical slap upside the head!

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

While I didn't have quite the same reaction that some of y'all had I can say I wasn't a fan of this chapter
Also, it just seems like this is getting real into absurdist territory
I was half expecting a laugh track to start playing

Damn, I keep waiting for Kase to shout that she has a girlfriend but I guess I'll have to wait until after she laps her fucktard roommate and kisses Yamada for maximum emotional damage

Also, why wait a month? Couldn't they have just made it the next day?

last edited at Dec 29, 2022 8:02PM

joined Jan 14, 2020

Yeah, WTF. Everyone but Yamada is shit here.

joined Sep 4, 2016

Ok, now this is just dumb. I know at the end of the day that these are just stories meant for entertainment, but when a plot point becomes this irritating, it starts to dampen the enjoyment that it's supposed to bring.

Yes, I understand that this is fiction, and doesn't apply to real life, but you would literally have to suspend disbelief in order to accept that this would ever happen in pretty much any circumstance.

Even if she doesn't want to admit to everyone else she's dating a woman, why the fuck would she put all these other side characters before her actual partner?

I have enjoyed this story up to this point, but it's things like this that make me question whether I want to continue. I don't give a shit that there will likely be a positive resolution of this plot point and Kase and Yamada will probably be just fine in the end, because this plot point is so ridiculous it shouldn't even be in the story.

Images
joined Aug 19, 2018

Man, the time til the next chapter better be a long one filled with other happy, up-lifting yuri works, because everyone's gonna need some time to cool off after this chapter. What's sad to me is that I liked Fukami-san's character and hoped she would find another crush when this one doesn't pan out. But now.......... well, it's gonna be hard to come back from this one

last edited at Dec 29, 2022 8:40PM

The Real Haman Karn
Haman%20icon
joined Nov 29, 2021

its a little contrived

Couple_under_the_stars
joined Nov 7, 2022

Damn. Even though the whole thing was frustrating, it's the last page that makes it downright unrecoverable (as in, we'll have to ignore how shitty the characters were and move on, because no amount of plot can retroactively justify this).

I can imagine that Kase would want to avoid turning pretty much all of her friends against her at the same time by just telling them to shut up and that moving is her decision. I can also understand that she doesn't want to reveal her relationship with Yamada like this. And I would have trusted her to ignore the results of the race, and, if she loses, just tell them that she's not going to be bound by the unilateral bet because they didn't know how important that decision was to her.

Albeit it's not necessary, I would have been fine with that amount of drama, as it's making things awkward and uncomfortable but doesn't go against their plans or the established personality of Kase.

But her texting Yamada and telling her to delay just breaks that line of speculation completely. The delay would be completely unnecessary if she didn't actually consider cancelling the move, and that alone would already completely destroy any chance to progress the story if we couldn't just, you know, just pretend that it's okay (which is what I suspect will happen for the story to move forward). It also shows that Kase doesn't take the responsibility of moving very seriously, giving more importance to her friends getting all worked up than to life-changing plans. And finally, she'd rather do something that will undoubtedly hurt Yamada a lot than say no.

All in all, I feel like I can almost understand what the chapter tried to do, but a single panel throws the scale and proportions completely off. This is definitely not something you can read as a serious romance story, at this point, it's just the same stuff you'd typically see in high school romcoms.

inb4 it turns out we're starting a break-up arc because Yamada realizes that Kase just isn't that serious about their relationship.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I'm actually pretty mad at Inoue at this point. She knows the situation, she should be well aware that forcing Kase into a situation where she has to essentially choose between her girlfriend and her friends is deeply unfair.

I mean, I can feel sympathy for Fukami, who has a crush and doesn't know how to process it. She's acting on repressed feelings and that can be pretty confusing. I can feel sympathy for Kase, who is getting peer pressured by literally everybody around her and can't be honest about her motivations because of the potential bigotry she might face if she came out. She was cornered and made a stupid choice, and now she's trying to figure out how to deal with the situation without burning every bridge she has in her personal life.

But man, Inoue has NO excuse. She knows Kase and Yamada are dating. She had a chance to be an ally here and come in on Kase's side, but instead she came in the other direction because...I guess she's a troll? I mean this just paints her in the worst possible light.

Like, it'd be one thing if she knew Kase could blow the doors off of Fukami and was just underestimating Fukami's determination, but no, she specifically points out that they're on the same level and Kase could lose. Like, maybe she just mindlessly believes in Kase's ability to win anyway, but that just makes her a moron. Best case scenario, she's a freaking idiot.

And, I mean, Yamada's worries about not delaying are valid. There is no way both of those properties are going to be available in a month. They're gonna have to do the hunt all over again, and if they lose those places and can't find somewhere else in time, Kase might be stuck in the dorm anyway.

This is all kinds of stupid, seriously.

joined Jan 6, 2017

Kinda weird seeing all these very negative comments to this when this is basically what I expected to happen regarding the whole roommate situation. This series has never had the most interesting story so I'm mainly here for the cute and the drama so these kinds of developments are just whatever to me. It's just like... sure? Why not?

joined Sep 6, 2018

This chapter has “Jumped the Shark” for this manga. I’ve purchased all volumes of this manga published stateside so far… now I’m going to stop just before this chapter.

This chapter deserves a mulligan.

I would have preferred seeing more troubles of the pair trying to find a good apartment despite shenanigans of lousy and exploitative real estate agents and land lords.

joined Apr 4, 2019

This is the kind of ridiculous decision making that ends relationships. Postponing the apartment hunt for an entire month because she is too scared to tell the truth or even just tell her its none of her business. Now Yamada is going to be a complete nervous wreck after being so excited and probably go back to thinking negative thoughts again.

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

But her texting Yamada and telling her to delay just breaks that line of speculation completely.

All in all, I feel like I can almost understand what the chapter tried to do, but a single panel throws the scale and proportions completely off. This is definitely not something you can read as a serious romance story, at this point, it's just the same stuff you'd typically see in high school romcoms.

Yes I agree with this wholeheartedly. That panel is the largest issue with this chapter and undermines any attempts to create something salvageable.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I'm actually pretty mad at Inoue at this point. She knows the situation, she should be well aware that forcing Kase into a situation where she has to essentially choose between her girlfriend and her friends is deeply unfair.

I mean, I can feel sympathy for Fukami, who has a crush and doesn't know how to process it. She's acting on repressed feelings and that can be pretty confusing. I can feel sympathy for Kase, who is getting peer pressured by literally everybody around her and can't be honest about her motivations because of the potential bigotry she might face if she came out. She was cornered and made a stupid choice, and now she's trying to figure out how to deal with the situation without burning every bridge she has in her personal life.

But man, Inoue has NO excuse. She knows Kase and Yamada are dating. She had a chance to be an ally here and come in on Kase's side, but instead she came in the other direction because...I guess she's a troll? I mean this just paints her in the worst possible light.

Like, it'd be one thing if she knew Kase could blow the doors off of Fukami and was just underestimating Fukami's determination, but no, she specifically points out that they're on the same level and Kase could lose. Like, maybe she just mindlessly believes in Kase's ability to win anyway, but that just makes her a moron. Best case scenario, she's a freaking idiot.

And, I mean, Yamada's worries about not delaying are valid. There is no way both of those properties are going to be available in a month. They're gonna have to do the hunt all over again, and if they lose those places and can't find somewhere else in time, Kase might be stuck in the dorm anyway.

This is all kinds of stupid, seriously.

I agree with this in general, and I’m mostly displeased with the writer. While, as you describe, most of the characters’ actions are explicable, they’re also disproportionate—Kase often doesn’t take Yamada’s feelings fully into account, but the apartment thing is a major life choice that affects them both. Fukami has been repressed and a bit crush-y, but her demands are completely out of line with her character’s previous relationship with Kase. And Inoue has always had a mischievous side but, as you say, this is just thoughtlessly cruel, given the situation.

In short, the actions in this chapter are arguably in line with the established characters in kind, but waaaay over the top in degree given the context.

joined Jun 11, 2016

I’ve had the raws of this chapter for weeks, and it took me so long to typeset it because, other than being quite busy in real life, I couldn’t stand to work on more than a page at a time I was so enraged with the plot. Kase is a spineless wimp and I wanted to slap HARD everyone but poor Yamada.

Anyway, I want to contribute to the discussion with two facts:
- Inoue senpai definitely knows about Kase and Yamada being gfs, she says so in the original series (chapter 17, crepes and Kase-san) so her not supporting Kase here is a shitty move.
- Fukami doesn’t know Yamada is Kase’s gf, but she knows that Kase is dating someone: we’ve seen her overhear bits of phone conversations between the lovebirds, and what’s more she’s subconsciously putting 2+2 together and having an inkling about Yamada being more than just Kase’s friend. She sucks, anyway.

thank you for still typesetting this. I agree with all the points you've made. Seriously wtf is the author thinking?

joined Aug 8, 2021

What does Fukami have to do with Kase moving out of the dorms? Why does she have to like agree with her on that race? Can't she decide herself? Also, what the heck is wrong with Fukami? I know they're friends and roommates but she doesn't have the right to intercede with Kase's decision to move out of the dormitory? She's acting like a girlfriend. What the heck is wrong with Kase, agreeing with Fukami like that? What the heck?! This is the chapter that I hate the most! Poor Yamada.

joined Aug 8, 2021

I just want a good chapter before the new year ends and this is what I get? I've been a fan of this work ever since and this is so disappointing. I agree that everyone except Yamada here is toxic and dumb. Kase, you don't deserve Yamada. Yamada, you go find another one. She's not worth it. (Sorry, I'm really frustrated and I'm fed up of Kase's and Fukami's and other character's behavior)

joined Oct 30, 2018

This chapter is absolutely terrible, kase what, been tired of her character for years now

last edited at Dec 30, 2022 1:18AM

joined Jul 2, 2020

I just want a good chapter before the new year ends and this is what I get? I've been a fan of this work ever since and this is so disappointing. I agree that everyone except Yamada here is toxic and dumb. Kase, you don't deserve Yamada. Yamada, you go find another one. She's not worth it. (Sorry, I'm really frustrated and I'm fed up of Kase's and Fukami's and other character's behavior)

I can smell the breakup arc from miles away

joined Apr 17, 2017

Fukami has been a really frustrating character, a passive-aggressive personality that mutates in this chapter into someone with a more intense borderline personality disorder. I know people say she has a crush on Kase, but in order to maintain that crush she's ignoring the fact that she knows Kase has a significant other, and she confronts Kase only with petulance, aggression, and bullying. And then the rest of the team jump in and add ridiculous peer pressure to the mix.

Also kind of amazing none of Kase's friends on her team try to see things from Kase's point of view at any point. I suppose you could say Kase hasn't been communicative enough with them to earn their trust? But Kase is generally friendly to all of them, and Fukami is moody, selectively withdrawn, and always putting the burden of maintaining a relationship with her on them. Yet, all of them take Fukami's side, and don't seem to care why Kase might be leaving. In story-logic, Kase could defuse this situation by telling them all the truth about why she's moving out, but that would be such a painful way to force Kase into coming out to her teammates. So Yamada takes the hit, instead. Grim.

I guess there was need of a little drama in the series at this point, but this is kind of a lot. The beach episodes had more than enough drama for me at this point. I would have been happy enough to see them having trouble adapting to life together in some intimate ways––a little like what is done in My Cute Little Kitten. Unless the author can make something funny and sensitive and revelatory out of this footrace that's being set up now, I feel I'm being set up for disappointment.

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

wtf is this plot point? Just tell them "No, I want to live with my girlfriend".

I love this story but I have no patience for this kind of stuff, it's just drama for the sake of drama.

last edited at Dec 30, 2022 4:39AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I can smell the breakup arc from miles away

You should have your nose checked.

Also kind of amazing none of Kase's friends on her team try to see things from Kase's point of view at any point. I suppose you could say Kase hasn't been communicative enough with them to earn their trust? But Kase is generally friendly to all of them, and Fukami is moody, selectively withdrawn, and always putting the burden of maintaining a relationship with her on them. Yet, all of them take Fukami's side, and don't seem to care why Kase might be leaving.

I doubt any of them are thinking about sides at all there, they just want to see them race, no matter the reason or what would be on the line. Silly muscle brains...

last edited at Dec 30, 2022 6:30AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.