Forum › Crescent Moon and Doughnuts discussion

Couple_under_the_stars
joined Nov 7, 2022

Bit of a downer ending. Even if they're not interested in kissing, we could at least have had a flashforward of them as a couple. The ending happens to be a confession, but then there's no kiss, no romantic date, and no plans together for the future. For a romance manga, this is a bit disappointing as an ending. Anything that would cement them as a romantic couple, beyond a few words that have often been misused in yuri manga, would have made this more satisfying.

Palucina1
joined May 26, 2020

It's a good ending for these two. Being with someone who completes you is always the best.

Also, Asahi is so getting married!

Vlqa
joined Jun 14, 2022

Bit of a downer ending. Even if they're not interested in kissing, we could at least have had a flashforward of them as a couple. The ending happens to be a confession, but then there's no kiss, no romantic date, and no plans together for the future. For a romance manga, this is a bit disappointing as an ending. Anything that would cement them as a romantic couple, beyond a few words that have often been misused in yuri manga, would have made this more satisfying.

Why would they kiss for the sanctification of the reader when they themselves don't want to? Or have a typical romance, again for the satisfaction of the reader, when that typical expectation isn't Asahi's primary interest?

In fact, trying to live up to the labels and expectations of others, for the fulfillment of other, is exactly why both of them suffer and can not connect their own love.

They absolutely do plan on staying together, both say as much. And the moon representing romantic love is classic to Japanese romantic literature. The story ends with a full moon or their love for one another realized, even if it does not fit into labels of the expectations of others.

Like I said. No reading comprehension. They can literally confess, say I love you and lets stay together forever and it's still not enough.

There's a long history in anime and manga of two female characters telling each other "I love you," after which one or both hook up with a guy anyway. The issue is what happens after they say it, but this story just ends there. To me, that comes across as "so close, yet so far."

I'll also keep it at that. Yes, I'm annoyed, but hey, there's so much more to read out there.

You're fighting phantoms of your own making. The story has plainly laid out the feelings and circumstances of Hinako and Asahi. They are asexual. They are romantically interested in one another. They are moving forward on that basis. What elements are missing to make them qualify as a couple, in your eyes?

Can this not be discussed without personal insult. There enough contextual evidence to use without making it personal.

It is clear that Hinko and Asahi are in love with each other and the reference to the moon at the end is romantic in meaning. The latter being classic Japanese poetic symbology for romantic love. And in classic Japanese romantic literature the implicit or objective whole is preferred over the explicit or subjective dissection typical of Western romantic literature.

This is not the same as when some manga and anime hide or detract from lesbianism for some moral purpose. History is not evidence of every occurrence.

Otherwise, Hinako's concern is if they can truly be lovers, even if she may not be interested in or capable of kissing kissing and going further. Asahi otherwise assures her they can be.

Anyway, I'm gonna go listen to Haddaway.

What is love!? Baby don't hurt me. Don't hurt me. No more.
What is right, what is wrong?
I need you forever..
The moon is full...

last edited at Dec 8, 2022 6:03PM

Shoujo%20kageki%20revue%20starlight%20-%2009%20-%20large%2035
joined Apr 22, 2017

God I love the ending. They confessed and confused right afterwards, such idiots. Lol this story really give me hope for romance as I am so so so much relate to both of them as a traumatized ace human being.

Couple_under_the_stars
joined Nov 7, 2022

Or have a typical romance, again for the satisfaction of the reader, when that typical expectation isn't Asahi's primary interest?

Why would they end up together as a couple, for the satisfaction of the reader ? This is a romance story. Do the character end up as a couple ? The answer is yes, but the manga failed to depict that properly. The ending is so abrupt that we're never shown them as a couple; at best, we are told (through the confession) that they love each other. But due to the ending being so abrupt, it doesn't really tell much, or anything.

The appeal to realism argument would mean that they can equally have decided to never take their relationship further and act as platonic friends for the rest of their lives, and that the reader doesn't have a right to feel cheated by such an ending. I don't personally agree -- such an ending would certainly be "realistic" but it would be pretty poor, narratively, as the culmination of a romance story, and would be a waste of the interactions the characters had with each other. And, even for people who would be happy to see such an ending, the relationship the characters settle on should still be depicted properly.

After following the story until the end and the evolution of the characters, I feel that the readers "deserve" (if I may use such a word) to see how it ends. There are many ways this could have been shown : they might be going on a date, moving together, one might call the other their lover, partner, or whatever word feels right in front of others, or anything else that strikes the author's fancy. None of those is necessary because every couple can feel comfortable with different things, yet any of those would have shown them as a proper couple, rather than this vague ending. Kissing (along with marriage) happens to be one of the simplest, most unambiguous things to depict characters as a couple, and generally serves that purpose when used in the ending, but it's not the only option.

I feel that this ending correctly addresses the evolution of the characters in being able to properly express their feelings (as shown from the fact that they both confessed), but fails to provide a satisfying conclusion to their relationship and interactions towards each other.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Accusing someone who ignores all the textual evidence of a fairly lengthy series of a failure of reading comprehension is far from being anything like a “personal insult”—it is a reasonable inference from the specious argument being made.

Anyone who asserts that a pioneering Class-S series written in 2003 (Marimite), a slice-of-life workplace series with an on-again-off-again yuri tease (Aquatope), and a carefully developed romance featuring ace characters (Crescent Moon) are essentially the same obviously is more committed to breezy generalizations than to reading stories in their context.

EDIT:

Kissing (along with marriage) happens to be one of the simplest, most unambiguous things to depict characters as a couple, and generally serves that purpose when used in the ending, but it's not the only option.

This assertion seems to handwave away the context of the story and the development arc of the characters. These are ace characters for whom even holding hands is a new and somewhat alien experience; a depicted kiss (or one of the unstated alternatives) would be entirely for the benefit of skeptical readers.

last edited at Dec 8, 2022 6:48PM

joined Sep 28, 2017

Was this axed or something?
That's it? "I love you, I love you too, ok but are we lovers? Not really lol, btw I'm incapable of showing up affection, me too! Lol aren't we just one for each other?"
Kinda disappointed tbh, not even a kiss? And what about the sister's reaction, and her relationship with the friend? What about my long awaited nsfw scene?
Oh well, let's hope for better endings in the future

joined Mar 21, 2017

Holding hands is pretty affectionate for us.

Screenshot%202022-05-05%20at%2020.52.05%20copy
joined Sep 23, 2021

hello yes why didn't this story i supposedly enjoyed abandon everything it's built to end exactly like every other romance story idgi

joined Nov 21, 2022

Ah, a lot of good insight by commentators in this. Re: Hinato's problems with intimacy. Makes perfect sense, the ending now.

Pinekon
joined Jan 10, 2022

I wish authors would clearly state that a story is about a certain label so people who would dislike said label would avoid such stories.
It also doesn't change if they want to hold hands, have sex or just be roommates. The whole last volume just happens, rushes through plotlines that I can only assume had a bit more to them, and presents an ending. The most blatant thing is the sister and the horny teacher just being handwaved "Oh by the way those two are/will also be a thing".

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

hello yes why didn't this story i supposedly enjoyed abandon everything it's built to end exactly like every other romance story idgi

Because the point is that ace deserve the same happy ending as everyone else?

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

I really enjoyed the story from start to finish. It really captured a sense of longing and feelings that society doesn't help put into words.

I'm also really glad that the author pretty overtly told us (by having the characters state aloud) that they were asexual. I came to that conclusion pretty quickly about Asahi--that is, I believed her self assessment; however, I wondered at a potential conflict with Hinako seemingly wanting more. In other stories I've read (but more often in media watched), it seems like non-hetero women are often desexualized (like the audience was supposed to assume they were okay being loners for all their lives, no disrespect to those whom are actually aromantic). I'm glad society is moving beyond the left-up-to-subtext. I can still enjoy that sort of undercurrent chemistry, but I'm super appreciative of the folks making bold strokes to show and validate more of the spectrum of queer experiences.

I haven't read most of the comments for this series, but I saw a few. I always appreciate the literature debates and the historical references folks pull. While some of the change and learning is uncomfortable, to me this forum/discussion is evidence of broadening horizons, individual by individual, story by story. :)

Bppble
joined Aug 22, 2022

Was this axed or something?
That's it? "I love you, I love you too, ok but are we lovers? Not really lol, btw I'm incapable of showing up affection, me too! Lol aren't we just one for each other?"
Kinda disappointed tbh, not even a kiss? And what about the sister's reaction, and her relationship with the friend? What about my long awaited nsfw scene?
Oh well, let's hope for better endings in the future

Are you trying to troll?

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

i think (hope?) they are being sarcastic and mocking other posters lol

20211109_104752
joined Apr 2, 2021

i really love this ace representation! im glad they ended up together and with no kiss cause they dont feel like it (ofc i wouldve loved a good smoochie but they literally said they dont like that kinda stuff). the only thing was that the confession felt a little rushed :( idk, i would've liked to see asahi being more self conscious about her own feelings or let it sink a little u know.

Vlqa
joined Jun 14, 2022

Or have a typical romance, again for the satisfaction of the reader, when that typical expectation isn't Asahi's primary interest?

Why would they end up together as a couple, for the satisfaction of the reader ? This is a romance story. Do the character end up as a couple ? The answer is yes, but the manga failed to depict that properly. The ending is so abrupt that we're never shown them as a couple; at best, we are told (through the confession) that they love each other. But due to the ending being so abrupt, it doesn't really tell much, or anything.

The appeal to realism argument would mean that they can equally have decided to never take their relationship further and act as platonic friends for the rest of their lives, and that the reader doesn't have a right to feel cheated by such an ending. I don't personally agree -- such an ending would certainly be "realistic" but it would be pretty poor, narratively, as the culmination of a romance story, and would be a waste of the interactions the characters had with each other. And, even for people who would be happy to see such an ending, the relationship the characters settle on should still be depicted properly.

After following the story until the end and the evolution of the characters, I feel that the readers "deserve" (if I may use such a word) to see how it ends. There are many ways this could have been shown : they might be going on a date, moving together, one might call the other their lover, partner, or whatever word feels right in front of others, or anything else that strikes the author's fancy. None of those is necessary because every couple can feel comfortable with different things, yet any of those would have shown them as a proper couple, rather than this vague ending. Kissing (along with marriage) happens to be one of the simplest, most unambiguous things to depict characters as a couple, and generally serves that purpose when used in the ending, but it's not the only option.

I feel that this ending correctly addresses the evolution of the characters in being able to properly express their feelings (as shown from the fact that they both confessed), but fails to provide a satisfying conclusion to their relationship and interactions towards each other.

Removed last to clarify... The initial post I replied to called for kissing, but now it's another option and I missed that part in the new argument.

Character's are real in context to the story and thus have their own agency. Therefore, my point is that there is a difference between finding satisfaction in how others actually are in their own right as opposed to finding satisfaction in our dictations of how other should be in our view.

As for the story, the writing style ends where is does as to clarify the objective of the characters and their feelings and probable development. And this allows for imaginative thinking in how they get there. In classic Japanese literature this is a satisfying ending and of what the author appears to have gone for. We know they love each other and that it's romantic, the rest is up to them and reader thought in context. Many find such ending satisfying.

How well the author made use of that is another story. But to imply that kissing and a traditional date is an option again ignores character agency in context to the story thus they're not options at all.

They address the lover aspect, but when Hinako's fear and doubt of labels and expectations surfaced, the satisfying resolution was leaving that matter to rest for now. The same for Asahi and her concerns or fears with romance/love. These concerns, fears, and doubts kept them suffering, uncertain, and separated. And now together they can face them over time in common upstanding and love and devotion which the moon shows is romantically inclined.

(sorry, I shouldn't be writing with a migraine..)

Accusing someone who ignores all the textual evidence of a fairly lengthy series of a failure of reading comprehension is far from being anything like a “personal insult”—it is a reasonable inference from the specious argument being made.

Anyone who asserts that a pioneering Class-S series written in 2003 (Marimite), a slice-of-life workplace series with an on-again-off-again yuri tease (Aquatope), and a carefully developed romance featuring ace characters (Crescent Moon) are essentially the same obviously is more committed to breezy generalizations than to reading stories in their context.

EDIT:

Kissing (along with marriage) happens to be one of the simplest, most unambiguous things to depict characters as a couple, and generally serves that purpose when used in the ending, but it's not the only option.

This assertion seems to handwave away the context of the story and the development arc of the characters. These are ace characters for whom even holding hands is a new and somewhat alien experience; a depicted kiss (or one of the unstated alternatives) would be entirely for the benefit of skeptical readers.

Sorry for the confusion, the "don't resort to personal insult" was directer to the Uploader comment about chasing phantoms. Pointing out clearly missed context is not a personal insult.

Class-S was a mixed bag of painful reality and social idealism. I wouldn't generalize the genre as one or the other. Though rare, some Class-S did depict sexual/romantic relationships that lasted beyond school.

last edited at Dec 8, 2022 9:23PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

i think (hope?) they are being sarcastic and mocking other posters lol

Right--it's a little hard to know exactly what series these "I'm bitterly disappointed that these asexual characters didn't have sex" posters are even talking about.

I'm pretty sure that @justforthis was being heavily sarcastic.

last edited at Dec 8, 2022 9:22PM

joined Jul 28, 2022
  1. The last part has black around it, I know this usually means flashback, but what about this context?

2. I'm not asexual or ACE, but I'm always looking for something to refer to friends who are (they're thirsty!). Peeps out there who read this, am I missing something, it's pretty much a straight solid asexual type relationship, yeah?

Vlqa
joined Jun 14, 2022

I was actually hoping someone could clarify asexuality for me as I am a sexual person,

The prefix 'a-' can mean "on, in, at", "in such state or condition", "in the manner of", or "not or without" depending on conext. Therefore, the word asexual can mean to be without or to not have sex or to be in the state or condition of sex. Asexuality can be no sex and can be having sex.

However, if one derives some form of fulfillment from sex, isn't that just being sexual regardless of importance and or prevalence or rate of occurrence?

I would have to assume that asexuality is ultimately defined by a state of absence of sex that is innately sustained without any desire for sex and any derived fulfillment from sex. Rather, an asexual person may have sex, or otherwise be exposed to sex, but they won't miss or desire sex after a time of not having it and or when never having had sex?

last edited at Dec 8, 2022 10:31PM

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

I was actually hoping someone could clarify asexuality for me as I am a sexual person,

The prefix 'a-' can mean "on, in, at", "in such state or condition", "in the manner of", or "not or without" depending on conext. Therefore, the word asexual can mean to be without or to not have sex or to be in the state or condition of sex. Asexuality can be no sex and can be having sex.

However, if one derives some form of fulfillment from sex, isn't that just being sexual regardless of importance and or prevalence or rate of occurrence?

I would have to assume that asexuality is ultimately defined by a state of absence of sex that is innately sustained without any desire for sex and any derived fulfillment from sex. Rather, an asexual person may have sex, or otherwise be exposed to sex, but they won't miss or desire sex after a time of not having it and or when never having had sex?

Not asexual, but I do know how to use google:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asexuality

joined Nov 21, 2022

I would have to assume that asexuality is ultimately defined by a state of absence of sex that is sustained without any desire for sex and any derived fulfillment from sex. Rather, an asexual person may have sex, but they won't miss or desire sex after a time of not having it and or when never having had sex?

Asexuality is a spectrum.

Basically, asexuality means not being sexually attracted to others.

However, there's romantic asexuals, who have relationships, but not sex. There's aromantic asexuals, who have no desire for relationships. There's grey asexuals who do feel sexual attraction, under very specific conditions only. There's demi-asexuals, who feel sexual attraction only after getting to know someone and creating a bond with them. And others.

I just say "I'm just me."

For examples in webcomics, there's Erin in Girls with Slingshots.
Vincent in How to Be a Werewolf who's demisexual.
Fiona in Supernormal Step.
Hannelore in Questionable Content.
Shades of A, the protagonist is ace.
Dina in Dumbing of Age is grey-ace.

Note, the A in LBGTIA2S+ stands for asexual, NOT ally.
https://www.asexuality.org/

last edited at Dec 8, 2022 10:42PM

Type1afterthecurtaincallssoyoungregrets_sm2
joined Sep 1, 2021
  1. The last part has black around it, I know this usually means flashback, but what about this context?

This story often uses black space outside panels for nighttime. It's nice when you get used to it and I'd like to see this visual cue more. Though it can be confusing if a work also uses flashback-to-black.

1. I'm not asexual or ACE, but I'm always looking for something to refer to friends who are (they're thirsty!). Peeps out there who read this, am I missing something, it's pretty much a straight solid asexual type relationship, yeah?

A queer solid asexual relationship, yeah lol. It was presented really well. Maybe we need an asexual couple tag for when the ace representation is intentional or at least strongly demonstrated. (I suggested it the tag) The two main characters conveyed how they experience love, and they're compatible.

By the halfway point there were very strong implications, at least by contrast with others expectations, that the two main characters are ace or demi-sexual, their way of being won't change, and their romance won't be conveyed by swapping mucus. Hinako was presented as sex-averse, and worried about it. It may not have felt obvious it was something more than "pure" fluffy (or sanitized and indeterminate) romance, because I sure couldn't shake worry I was too optimistic until the ending. This was great and I'll probably recommend it in the future.

The one thing I didn't like is the little sister saying she'll pursue the older friend at the end. I know it's foreshadowed and brought up a lot, it was a sweet final career aspiration, but their chemistry undercut the romance too many times earlier.

joined Mar 21, 2017

I would have to assume that asexuality is ultimately defined by a state of absence of sex that is sustained without any desire for sex and any derived fulfillment from sex. Rather, an asexual person may have sex, but they won't miss or desire sex after a time of not having it and or when never having had sex?

Asexuality is a spectrum.

Basically, asexuality means not being sexually attracted to others.

However, there's romantic asexuals, who have relationships, but not sex. There's aromantic asexuals, who have no desire for relationships. There's grey asexuals who do feel sexual attraction, under very specific conditions only. There's demi-asexuals, who feel sexual attraction only after getting to know someone and creating a bond with them. And others.

I just say "I'm just me."

For examples in webcomics, there's Erin in Girls with Slingshots.
Vincent in How to Be a Werewolf who's demisexual.
Fiona in Supernormal Step.
Hannelore in Questionable Content.
Shades of A, the protagonist is ace.
Dina in Dumbing of Age is grey-ace.

Note, the A in LBGTIA2S+ stands for asexual, NOT ally.
https://www.asexuality.org/

This is a good explanation.

Images%20(2)
joined Sep 28, 2021

I liked this story a lot but I feel like the finale was rushed...any explanation for that by the author? It was just so sudden

To reply you must either login or sign up.