Forum › Subtraction Tautology discussion

joined Apr 16, 2022

The father has been like a spectre hanging over the entire manga, but I shouldn't be surprised that when he finally shows up it's treated in the same low-key on the surface but implicitly dramatic way this manga treats most events in everyday life. The easygoing rapport Minamo and Tsukie have at the beginning of the chapter (itself not a given but an achievement they both made through their struggles earlier in the manga) is broken; Tsukie uses Tsubame as an excuse to get the hell away while Minamo (inadvertently?) throws veiled barbs at him as soon as he wakes up. As for the father himself, it's hard to tell for sure but he certainly seems like the type who doesn't or can't express love through any means other than buying gifts -- I unfortunately am all too familiar with this type of father...

Great chapter as always, and congrats to the translator on their midterm results. Good luck with your English project!

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

The father has been like a spectre hanging over the entire manga, but I shouldn't be surprised that when he finally shows up it's treated in the same low-key on the surface but implicitly dramatic way this manga treats most events in everyday life. The easygoing rapport Minamo and Tsukie have at the beginning of the chapter (itself not a given but an achievement they both made through their struggles earlier in the manga) is broken; Tsukie uses Tsubame as an excuse to get the hell away while Minamo (inadvertently?) throws veiled barbs at him as soon as he wakes up. As for the father himself, it's hard to tell for sure but he certainly seems like the type who doesn't or can't express love through any means other than buying gifts -- I unfortunately am all too familiar with this type of father...

Great chapter as always, and congrats to the translator on their midterm results. Good luck with your English project!

On the other hand, while they clearly feel awkward around him, Minamo still felt relief upon seeing him, so it's not like he is disliked.

Also, another interpretation of Tsukie leaving is that Tsubame feels awkward around a father that, while absent for long periods of time, still has a close relationship with his children, considering her family.

Honestly, I like the father so far, he seems to be doing reasonably well, considering the circumstances.

last edited at Nov 28, 2022 12:02PM

fsadddfsa Uploader
Collectible_dark_prince's_crown_icon
goon squad
joined Apr 11, 2021

Idk whose grades are those but keep up the good work

Ah yeah, I should have mentioned this: credits are made by royalnobody (me)

joined Apr 16, 2022

On the other hand, while they clearly feel awkward around him, Minamo still felt relief upon seeing him, so it's not like he is disliked.

Also, another interpretation of Tsukie leaving is that Tsubame feels awkward around a father that, while absent for long periods of time, still has a close relationship with his children, considering her family.

Honestly, I like the father so far, he seems to be doing reasonably well, considering the circumstances.

A lot of stuff about this manga is open to interpretation, it doesn't hit you on the head with exposition, one of the things I really like about it. But with Tsukie, it's not just that she left, it's that her immediate reaction upon seeing him again was to criticize ("Wow, he really came home. If he was taking an overnight bus, he should've said something").

As for Minamo, I don't doubt Minamo's honesty about her anxiety going away when he came back. But what we're shown is that the two of them don't really know how to communicate with each other. You can even see that in how when Tsukie says her food is "the best" she engages in light banter, while when her father says something similar they end up in a weird, awkward moment. I don't think she dislikes him, but I don't think you can call them close either.

Finally, while he may or may not be doing his best with his daughters, I haven't forgotten that he started dating his second wife, Suu's mother, while she was in high school (and he was much older). After the way Minamo condemned Reika for what she did -- though she was somewhat motivated by jealousy I'm sure -- her opinion on that particular saga has probably started to change as well, even if only subconsciously.

Wallpaper_2~2
joined Jul 4, 2021

Finally we see the father, this is gonna be interesting in the next chapters, I'm looking forward to see how the author planned this arc.

Just to point out there's a empty dialogue balloon in the strip during the lunch scene in the last panel.

fsadddfsa Uploader
goon squad
joined Apr 11, 2021

Finally we see the father, this is gonna be interesting in the next chapters, I'm looking forward to see how the author planned this arc.

Just to point out there's a empty dialogue balloon in the strip during the lunch scene in the last panel.

fixed

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

As for the father himself, it's hard to tell for sure but he certainly seems like the type who doesn't or can't express love through any means other than buying gifts -- I unfortunately am all too familiar with this type of father...

Mm, I'm not sure that's quite what the story is going for . . . seems more like he's trying to apologize with gifts, than express love with them. It's pretty explicit actually--he says he's sorry for not being around more and wants to make it up to them a bit. Love he's so far expressed by complimenting the food and letting the younger daughter sleep with him.

None of which necessarily makes him an amazing dad or anything. But he doesn't seem to be emotionally distant, considering the circumstances.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Finally, while he may or may not be doing his best with his daughters, I haven't forgotten that he started dating his second wife, Suu's mother, while she was in high school (and he was much older). After the way Minamo condemned Reika for what she did -- though she was somewhat motivated by jealousy I'm sure -- her opinion on that particular saga has probably started to change as well, even if only subconsciously.

Yes . . . although oddly, he might come out of that comparison/contrast better than one might expect. He went out with a younger girl . . . and rather than refusing to acknowledge her in public and then dumping her, he married her. He had the courage of his convictions, put his money where his mouth was, did not lead his younger partner on but followed through. Doing that in the first place was still inappropriate, but still, he very precisely did not do what hurt Yurika so much. He did something ELSE that was decidedly questionable, but not that.

last edited at Nov 28, 2022 4:26PM

Wallpaper_2~2
joined Jul 4, 2021

fixed

thanks and good luck with future exams

joined Apr 16, 2022

Yes . . . although oddly, he might come out of that comparison/contrast better than one might expect. He went out with a younger girl . . . and rather than refusing to acknowledge her in public and then dumping her, he married her. He had the courage of his convictions, put his money where his mouth was, did not lead his younger partner on but followed through. Doing that in the first place was still inappropriate, but still, he very precisely did not do what hurt Yurika so much. He did something ELSE that was decidedly questionable, but not that.

You could argue that breaking up with her was the best thing Reika ever did for Yurika. Suu's mother certainly ended up being unhappy enough that she left behind both him and her daughter. There's still a lot we don't know about that whole situation, and I strongly suspect we'll learn more eventually so I don't want to draw super strong conclusions. But I don't think the comparison was accidental, at least.

I take your point that his gift-buying in this case was mostly an apology, but his lack of communication has become a real trend -- not only did Tsukie point it out explicitly, iirc he rarely even calls his home while he's out at his job. I think he means well (then again so did Reika), but "emotionally distant" feels like a fair description of how he's behaved thus far. We'll see though, seems like he'll be around for the next few chapters at least.

joined Jul 29, 2022

I root for Tsubame that she will get what she want and dont kill her
I think she have felling for Tsukio and she will be with her

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

I take your point that his gift-buying in this case was mostly an apology, but his lack of communication has become a real trend -- not only did Tsukie point it out explicitly, iirc he rarely even calls his home while he's out at his job. I think he means well (then again so did Reika), but "emotionally distant" feels like a fair description of how he's behaved thus far. We'll see though, seems like he'll be around for the next few chapters at least.

We have absolutely zero indication of whether Suu's mom was happy or not, besides disappearing - hardly a reason to assume she was unhappy.

Also, if he is working nights, then not communicating could easily be a result of just having mismatching schedules. When I work nights, I generally don't speak with my family until the weekend, due to that.

Type1afterthecurtaincallssoyoungregrets_sm2
joined Sep 1, 2021

Even if the twins have mixed feelings on their father coming home, to Tsubame it was a depressing reminder of what bio-families are. But we also saw Tsukie act more affectionate towards Tsubame than we've seen so far!

The mix of appreciation and apathy towards the father was rendered really well. The twins had such low expectations of him that even knowing he would probably be home soon, they thought of a criminal at the door but not the unreliable dad arriving without warning. He's safe, not a stranger, and brings some financial cushion, but only Suu was outright happy to see him. I actually dislike him less now.

We've been told and shown in multiple ways that the father isn't a great communicator and avoids it, and he needs more logical explanations because subtler interactions seem more difficult for him. So far he hasn't seemed selfish, but he's inconsiderate and ill-equipped for people. Suu's young mom left in tears, and there are issues similar to Reika in a story full of repetition, so no matter the extenuating circumstances it's a reasonable assumption that the father deserves a lot of blame for Suu's mom's unhappiness.

fsadddfsa Uploader
goon squad
joined Apr 11, 2021

(not me thinking suu's mom died this whole time)

sunflower delusions
Hima-ava
joined Apr 12, 2022

Both of the moms will, in fact, appear later in the manga.

Bang. (79-13-5)

Also, royal is not the translator, I am, royal is the one who's still in school, not me...

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

I was thinking that Kaneike would be more jealous of Yurika, but this seemed to hint she could tell how Minamo feels and is supportive of it. Well, it's a bit little go on, but that was my feeling reading it.

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

I was thinking that Kaneike would be more jealous of Yurika, but this seemed to hint she could tell how Minamo feels and is supportive of it. Well, it's a bit little go on, but that was my feeling reading it.

Her character intro in chapter 0 is that she is a kind and warm person. I dunno about being able to clue in on things, but I can totally see her being plain happy that Minamo has a friend she cares about, considering how grumpy and distant she is usually.

joined Apr 16, 2022

Kaneike seems like the type who likes taking care of people, which is probably why she's drawn to Minamo who definitely gives off strong pathetic vibes (I say this with all the love in the world).

I found it notable that Minamo complained about Tsubame "prying"; she didn't do anything like that in the last chapter so Minamo must be referring to previous incidents. This suggests to me that Tsubame doesn't like the father very much; I'm interested to see how this might impact the twins' relationship in the future.

Chapter 38 edit: I was not expecting Kaneike to have past history with Yurika and her friend group. Since she doesn't seem to hang out with them anymore I wonder if something happened between them.

last edited at Jan 9, 2023 7:44PM

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

Ah dad wants to meet the future GF.

joined Oct 15, 2019

Thank you for the translation. Can't wait to see how the father reacts to meeting Yurika!

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

This family is making my head hurt.

joined Jun 9, 2022

Okay suu’s mother disappearing sounds weirder now. The family called the police when she disappeared?

last edited at Jan 10, 2023 11:44AM

Type1afterthecurtaincallssoyoungregrets_sm2
joined Sep 1, 2021

Kaneike is getting development! I'm looking forward to more of her connections and interactions with Minamo. For now, let's be thankful and ignore the trend that every other teenage girl character has some kind of clearly implied point on a bittersweet love polygon. I feel like average tropes are going to continue to hold little influence, and I'm not sure what is or isn't predictable at this point.

Okay suu’s mother disappearing sounds weirder now. The family called the police when she disappeared?

It's seems pretty common and sometimes reasonable in a run-away situation where the family member left for reasons such as mental illness and/or conflict. We've seen something like an overstressed young mother having an emotional breakdown then leaving in a hurry, with anger and pain and possibly guilt. So conflict and her own distress.

last edited at Jan 12, 2023 12:29AM

20230811_115727_adobe_express
joined Sep 21, 2019

Both of the moms will, in fact, appear later in the manga.

Bang. (79-13-5)

Also, royal is not the translator, I am, royal is the one who's still in school, not me...

The spoiler tags aren't working for me (I can see the text by default for some reason), even if I click and unclick the text... is this normal? I was going to complain about it thinking the spoiler tags weren't there, then went to check how to format them and saw that the =s are there in the quote lol

...ugh I hope I forget about the second spoiler, this is why I usually never click on them

Either way amazing manga, tyvm to the scan team for bringing it to us!

last edited at Jan 12, 2023 5:08PM

981c42da2a6ca1ced16e6500fb8d64cc
joined Dec 29, 2020

Huh, for some reason I always ignored this webtoon, but it's actually really good. I'm glad I gave it a shot. It's pretty rare to find something I enjoy this much. Can't wait to see how the plot and relationships further progress.

To reply you must either login or sign up.