Forum › Kamiina Botan, the Drunken Form is a Lily Flower discussion

Ke_Zukulenzia
joined Jul 23, 2019

Hey...
Have you read the credits? Have you paid attention to the text in the top right corner?

Now I'm wondering which commenter in this forum is the addressee of that tirade, lol. Poor kiddo.

It's just an edited version of the Navy Seals copypasta and is merely a joke.

Whatever I'm glad she pointed it out cos I wouldn't have read it if she hadn't. I thought it was a copypaste of the panel until I took a better look.

NuclearStudent
joined Dec 13, 2018

ayy, nice Sonatine reference on page 8

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Oh I just saw the update in MD(edit oh it's here already) and one thing I Can say now is that new girl is really cool, she really cares for Ibuki enough to even push Botan because that would make her happy, she's also very perceptive and honest and also Botan JUST DO IT! OMG also lol it took one sip to move the conversation so smoothly and we're now full on yuri track,

On the other hand, Oh My Lord Akane (guitar) Just GET ON WITH IT! Fuck you're the one with troubles and then complain because all the people trying to help you can't figure it out without YOU saying a thing?! COME ON...*sigh* women, am I right?

last edited at Jul 23, 2022 5:02PM

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

New girl is best girl.

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

Jin-ran is 100% correct. Botan has been flirting from day one, but considering how often they get drunk together, how has she still not made a move? It's absurd.

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

Time for Botan to shoot her shot.

joined Jul 7, 2020

ladies and gentlemen we have movement

sanshouowo Uploader
Output-onlinepngtools(4)
Homusaki Shikibu
joined Jul 10, 2021

Chapter 23 has some interesting features to it. While the whole manga is kind of drawn in an Ozu-ish way, with the inclusion of abundant pillow shots, that back-and-forth switching of POV to feature characters in a conversation gazing right out of the frame, some framing here and there, and just letting the panel rest where the action isn't, chapter 23 takes this up a small notch. There's even a (possibly intentional for better-looking panels?) continuity error where Botan is seen sitting on the left of Jin-Ran (p.075), then she switches to the right (p.078; or technically p.077, if only implied from the POV shots), before switching back to the left (p.080).

Right off the bat, in p.069, we see a nice effect (which isn't immediately apparent on single-page mode) when the focus, initially tracking the conversation, shifts over to Botan, who's looking to the panel-left. Her gaze crosses over to p.070 on the left and lands on Jin-Ran, making for a nice and subtle cue to transition to p.071, which continues the decoupling of panel-focus and foreground conversation. There's also a nice visual in p.077 panel 5 too where the two shot glasses seem to mimic the two seated together in conversation; and the shift to a pillow shot in p.081 panel 2 right at the moment of transition forcefully pulls us away from the action, setting up a quiet but strong climax to the chapter. To add, p.079 panel 4 has quite an aesthetically pleasing frame-within-a-frame: foreground text bubbles -> panel borders -> framing plant & vase in focus -> whiskey bottle at centre; though the bubble flow across panels 3 and 4 seems to have been slightly forced to achieve this effect.

A side effect of the style in execution is that the manga does suffer from some issues in scene shifting. For example, in chapter 18, cuts get very abrupt (pp.0126~0127) since the panels -- being relatively uniform in size -- don't introduce any dead time like you might expect in film. On the contrary, panels introduced solely as dead time (ch.23 p.075 panel 5) can also come off as ineffectual if the atmosphere doesn't come through. Additionally, establishing shots may not clearly signal the start of a scene well because they seem just like a normal pillow shot. It does take a bit of focus to get through the manga.

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

Two chapters in a row - totally made my day if not the whole week.
I wonder if drinking kalavan was a metaphor for being with Ibuki. It starts so smooth that you don't realise as it hits you, then come the oranges.. followed by a hint of bitterness. So, if true, why the bitterness? Is that bitterness what holds Botan from committing to the relationship? It's like she's afraid of the last step. Makes your wonder what kind of romantic experiences she has had. She probably confessed to somebody in the past and got rejected. So now she's probably been waiting for Ibuki to confess to her instead. I mean all of this is pure speculation, but I like to think that way.
Also I wonder what was that dialogue about allthesparagus? Was that also a "what kind of like" foreshadowing?

joined Mar 28, 2014

On the other hand, Oh My Lord Akane (guitar) Just GET ON WITH IT! Fuck you're the one with troubles and then complain because all the people trying to help you can't figure it out without YOU saying a thing?! COME ON...*sigh* women, am I right?

I mean, she sort of tried, but was clearly not heard - Yaeka totally didn't get her "ragequitters" sticker. At least in the next chapter she confirmed that Yaeka is in principle dense when it comes to reading between the lines.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

takachi posted:

I mean, she sort of tried, but was clearly not heard - Yaeka totally didn't get her "ragequitters" sticker. At least in the next chapter she confirmed that Yaeka is in principle dense when it comes to reading between the lines.

It's because it came out of left field with no context at all, she didn't respond the previous question either making it more confusing.

joined Mar 28, 2014

takachi posted:

It's because it came out of left field with no context at all, she didn't respond the previous question either making it more confusing.

yep))) Akane was sure hoping she would be intuitively and non-verbally perceived - well, it's way too rare when it works like this in this world, true...

Tumblr_lhn2y5j5rz1qbc0x9
joined Jul 26, 2013

I read this manga in one sitting. I really am enjoying this series. Can’t wait for more!

joined Mar 28, 2014

Shouldn't have commented on this - the moment I did, translation has stopped, haha xD
Anyways, couldn't help and bought volume 3 raws. Good manga.

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

Yay I'm so glad this is back! Thank you so much for continuing this one.

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

oop seems i have forgotten the specifics of where this one left off last time... might reread it but brain hurty from like current reading list already

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Bottle shops, woo!

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

Aw yeah,the drunk college girls are back.

Now to wait another month or so...

PredatorDuck Uploader
Rin
joined Jun 27, 2018

oop seems i have forgotten the specifics of where this one left off last time... might reread it but brain hurty from like current reading list already

Honestly this manga loves jumping forward in the timeline and most of the chapters have very little to do with each other.

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015
joined Mar 28, 2014

as the elevator voice in the black rose arc of Utena would say, 'fukaku, motto fukaku' (deeper, go deeper) hahahaha
Thank you very much for keeping this translated, love this work. And so looking forward to the next couple of chapters))

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

My god these bitches are gay AND drunk, good for them good for them.

joined Mar 21, 2017

This jumping just confuses me.

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

you know, for all the drinking going on, I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a drunk confession yet!

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

I just noticed but the last few chapters have a bit of an unfinished vibe with the figure drawings getting cut off partway through the legs. I wonder why the style change. I checked back in earlier chapters and didn't see that.

To reply you must either login or sign up.