Forum › Crescent Moon and Doughnuts discussion

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Well this chapter was definitely very touching.

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

Some of the stuff in these two chapters were like a kick in the nuts, especially Hinako finally asserting herself and then immediately feeling guilt over that as well as her thoughts as a child about lightening her parent's burden, but it's great to see how well it all turned out being. Mother really ended up being surprisingly supportive and caring even despite her exhaustion, or rather it really was that she was just that - exhausted. Like the comments above have mentioned, I'm a big fan of how unique the approach to these tropes has been.

Other than that, it's great seeing the various loose ends being tied and how things have progressed both in Asahi's life and in Hinako's life, there's one major issue to really tackle and that's that, sadly. It's stupidly heartwarming for me to see that the two are constantly thinking of each other so openly as compared to earlier chapters.

I keep thinking that next chapter is the last one and I get upset lol. I really just want it to continue.

last edited at Oct 27, 2022 6:43AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Mom just automatically slipping into mom behavior, cooking for her kid even in her own home. And nice to see that mom is as understanding as I thought she'd be after the initial surprise. She has a good child indeed. ^_^

Fcolu7zauaqic2k
joined Sep 14, 2015

this series is bad for a gay and lonely heart

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Things went better than I anticipated and I'm really happy for that, it's sweet and also I hope the mom just moves away from there, her story is sadly way too common around the world, at least she didn't become a Karen.

Subaru still my favorite character, give her an spin off please! LOL

Something that bother me all around was the black background in the panels, that's supposed to imply flashback scenes commonly but if you put it all over what does it mean ? heavy? mood?

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015

Small typo in chap 19 bottom panel:
aknowledge ->acknowledge

igenetycs Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Aug 14, 2019

Something that bother me all around was the black background in the panels, that's supposed to imply flashback scenes commonly but if you put it all over what does it mean ? heavy? mood?

The black background is usually used to indicate time of day in this series.

last edited at Oct 27, 2022 12:02PM

644a9551982db70ad739d195df9452e7
joined Mar 7, 2021

There's something about this series that makes me feel like no other series can when I am reading it. There's something so real and raw about this series that I almost feel uneasy when reading it, in a good way. I think regardless of quality or personal enjoyment arguments there is something genuinely special about this story.

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

So great to finally read this in English - loved these two chapters to pieces when I was spending hours to decipher them with my poor Japanese back when they were released. Hinako's so cute as a child. And so sweet to see the dynamics between her and mom. The translation somehow made me think if her mom might be in a closet hence the unhappy marriage, but I'm likely wrong about it.

In the end, the only sad thing is that the next chapter is the last one. Such a good series. Thanks so much to the translators!

last edited at Oct 27, 2022 4:49PM

joined Feb 7, 2017

I'm not sure how I feel about the idea that Fuuka got rejected by Asahi so the author's just pairing her off with her little sister instead...

joined May 1, 2015

I'm not sure how I feel about the idea that Fuuka got rejected by Asahi so the author's just pairing her off with her little sister instead...

Well, from previous chapters, it was hinted that Subaru likes Fuuka since whe was little. Whether Fuuka reciprocates, that is a different story. I personally don't mind as long as Fuuka doesn't use Subaru as a replacement and actually treasures her.

joined Jul 26, 2016

...did Asahi just wordlessly call out Subaru's massive case of tsunderitis or am I imagining things?

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

...did Asahi just wordlessly call out Subaru's massive case of tsunderitis or am I imagining things?

Yes. Yes, she did.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

It's always so nice to see a story featuring a good parent.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I’m not much into the “who’s good/who’s bad” approach to reading manga, but in this case I’d qualify that as “a parent who finally stops getting on their non-compliant child’s case.”

The mom is pretty clearly the source of much of Hinako’s insecurity:

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/crescent_moon_and_doughnuts_ch03#2

But she definitely is stepping up and doing the right thing now, of course

370f6e22d5477fb96887976c3c5039f4410b136d
joined Oct 19, 2020

So close to the finish line
I'm extremely excited

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I’m not much into the “who’s good/who’s bad” approach to reading manga, but in this case I’d qualify that as “a parent who finally stops getting on their non-compliant child’s case.”

The mom is pretty clearly the source of much of Hinako’s insecurity:

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/crescent_moon_and_doughnuts_ch03#2

But she definitely is stepping up and doing the right thing now, of course

Yeah, that's fair. I just mean somebody who is confronted with the fact that their child isn't typical, contemplates that for a second, and then comes back with "Well as long as it makes you happy." After so many stories where the parent is just stubbornly bigoted through and through, especially the ones where they make themselves an active obstacle to their child's happiness, it's always nice when we get somebody who's like "Y'know, actually nevermind, I need to accept you as you are."

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

I think that a common pattern in this story is that lots of worries and insecurities that Hinako has are either only in her own head, or at the very least she exaggerates them somewhat.

Very first chapter, she was dejected that she caused Asahi problems at work, by the end of it it was clear that this wasn't really that big of a deal.

Later, her other friends at work were presented as putting pressure on her with that whole dating thing, and she was even anxious about smaller things like not eating lunch with them, after talking things through a bit, it again turns out none of this was too big of a problem.

The way the main pairs' relationship progresses, pretty late into the story Hinako keeps thinking that she is somehow causing problems to Asahi where at this point it's clearly not the case.

And finally, I feel like that mom thing is very much along the same lines, although I do agree that mom isn't entirely without a blame here - but again, all it took was some candid discussion.

last edited at Oct 30, 2022 7:23PM

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

٩(˘◡˘)۶ such a sweet chapter

Fishbowl%20man
joined May 6, 2018

I just caught up with this and I REALLY like that the dreaded mom's not actually that bad. The fact that she ultimately meant well and had her reasons was kind of expected, but the way she readily acknowledged her daughter's growth was a really pleasant surprise.
And sure, this is great because I'm happy for Hinako and because I wasn't asking for serious drama from an otherwise comfy read, but I also really like the acknowledgement that you don't need horrifying abuse to turn out kinda depressed. I mean, her family's still far from ideal, but you know.

igenetycs Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Aug 14, 2019

A nice little illustration from the author's twitter.
https://twitter.com/siousuisio0057/status/1594929094772170752

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

volume 4, chapter 20 is the last chapter? i'm not ready to part with this cute little story...

joined Nov 21, 2022

I'm a little confused.

Did they agree to be platonic lovers?

Bppble
joined Aug 22, 2022

I'm a little confused.

they ace or demi. It's up to your imagination what they will or won't do

last edited at Dec 3, 2022 6:39PM

joined Nov 21, 2022

I'm a little confused.

they ace or demi. It's up to your imagination what they will or won't do

I suppose that's possible. I've known people in such relationships IRL.

To reply you must either login or sign up.