Forum › 4:30am, at the coin laundromat discussion

joined Mar 23, 2022

and you tell me this is one shot!T-T.....the gurl is slaying it with that smooth ass move. would really love to see this become a series.

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

That was cute.
I really liked the blond girl's design, she looked so much like a real human? It's remarkable how the artist managed to capture such human-like expressions, without really having a realistic artstyle. Usually, I have a hard time imagining manga characters as real people (appearance-wise), but this here? I can imagine exactly what this person would look like in real life, and that's just cool. Also, cutesy blonde eyebrows are a plus. I would love it even more if they gave her blonde eyelashes, but I'll take what I can get.

last edited at Oct 20, 2022 4:19PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I really liked the blond girl's design, she looked so much like a real human?

Her look reminded me a LOT of the young landlady who used to be an idol in that one, you know, where the main character is going to get together with her young landlady who used to be an idol. Totally different personality though.

Kgprv5p
joined Aug 28, 2016

great one-shot!!!

61f8f9de6afa98bcb0f186a1_736_640_20945%20(1)
joined Mar 25, 2021

At least exchange contacts!

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Very cute.

Heheee
joined Feb 27, 2020

Loved it. Curiously enough I live right in front of a coin laundromat. Maybe I should start washing my clothes there...

C0947de7-7a05-45f6-b936-7324bb0fa409
joined May 18, 2019

I'm expecting part 2 in six months

Kidsbeingkidscats2
joined Jan 19, 2015

destroyed in seconds. recover estimate: 6 months

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

How to get a follow up oneshot: respond to the yuri hime reader survey, in Japanese, and mentioned repeatedly how great this oneshot was. Make sure to mark it as your favorite part of this issue

Survey for this issue: https://questant.jp/q/X5IRH6Q7

last edited at Oct 22, 2022 7:01PM

Qbe6q6nw4kw
joined Oct 17, 2016

Really liked this one? Laundromats as spaces have always fascinated me because they're virtually nonexistent where I come from and I've never been to one, so the entirety of my acquaintance with them is deferred through media. There's a fascinating intersection of qualities I normally consider antonymous that flow together in these fictional laundromats, cramped mechanization in lines and rows churning nonstop in cycles turning on tokens and coins, and entwining yet in humming, hulking, rectangular symphonies to carry out a task as old as time, rinsing second skins in quaint old windows, frothing and foaming comforts anew. It's a fusion of traits that renders laundromats strangely quaint in all their efficiency, intimate in that strange liminal glow that makes old eateries and subway tunnels seem oddly organic late into the night, (un)peopled by ghosts of ghosts, echoes of footsteps, and so fittingly a space for that especial brand of romance that weaves together two misfits on lonely nights, following trails of solitude to fellow hermits.

And so it goes for Tamaki and Inori, perched as they are on benches while the systems sing, couched between beds of suds and shadowy sheets, hearts attuned to a dynamo's beat. They toss their clothes into these portals to before-after, clean-as-they-were-in-minutes-from-now, tenses loosened in spin cycles, time itself all fluffy in the wash, letting the hours stretch and curl and heap while the moonlit waiting, undressed for a spell, exchange sideways glances looping off-course as if they too, were whirling in these machines. The art perfectly complements this sense of lazily peeking, hoping for the same, bobbing to the churn in a odd sort of stability- I love the how thick and fine the artist traces their hair, curtains through which they peer nervous and amused and giddy and coy, each seeing the other in as bright a spotlight as a the lights of a small town laundromat may provide, though as Tamaki cheerily asserts, they're already on a stage, deep in a charming game.

I also adore the detail given to the ruffles and layers on their clothes that twine and crease like fabric faces, almost enough to hear them rustle in sitting, shifting and standing up to leave, an external cycle to mirror the one within, as well as the one further within as each of our coin-tossers harbor longing dreams, playing out as many fantasies as the machines accommodate, each wondering if the other knows how she makes her head spin and her stomach flip in eager excitement, stepping into the center with all the regularity of a coin, bundling mysteries and possibilities in a hamper and tossing them into speculation's alembic, spinning, spinning, spinning until those muddy, uncertain feelings are sparkling clean, and then leaving with rueful smiles to be dyed once more in the night. Cycles move within cycles, and especially so when Tamaki makes her declaration at the end, weaving her departure too into another phase of a process, a cycle that separates you ever-so-briefly from the clothes you wrap so close, only to return them sparkling clean at the cost of a little time, the classic Around the World-Wash in 180 Gays by Girls Yearn. For Inori, those six months shall be both washing and waiting, a painful vigil for the one she loves, but also a chance to brighten herself up, dust off the old moves, clean out all the worries and meet Tamaki at her best when she pops out of circulation, crisp and fresh in the clarity of feelings, and eminently wearable (this is a metaphor for cuddling, I think). Big fan of these mildly minimalistic oneshots that let their settings, symbols and styles vocalize what their disaster gays cannot, and I hope we see more from this artist moving forward.

I like you, human.

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

I probably write this under every one-shot, but I'll never get tired of saying it:

This needs to be a series!

joined Feb 10, 2022

Calling it now. We get a continuation in six months!
(Please let us get a continuation!)

Probably until April 2023

_

Is this good neutral or sad ending?

last edited at Oct 21, 2022 5:04PM

joined Jan 14, 2020

'himawari' laundromat, heh.

joined Dec 13, 2018

hitting on someone right when you're about to leave so if it goes wrong you have hundreds of kilometers of distance to hide behind

mood

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

Somehow I can see them as adult Akebi Komichi and Erika. Lovely.

Erika is faraway after their graduation while Komichi patiently waits for her in the small town where Ryoubai situated.

Can partly see that too. Not a bad thought, honestly.

Loved the one shot, Inori was figured out from the first moment, girl was mesmerized.Tamaki calling her out was wildly amusing. Really do hope for a sequel, not necessarily half a year from the publication of this one, but it would be fitting if so.

joined Nov 16, 2021

A romance starting in a laundry place? Reminds me of Girlfriends

joined Aug 1, 2022

Does this really need the age gap tag when it's only 6 years and it seems like they are both adults? There's no mention to indicate school age or anything which is usually what I associate with age gap.

Cute story although I feel like Tamaki shoulda made a move earlier instead of right before she left since she was interested too? 6 months of waiting is a long time especially since she knew about the crush for months lol.

Well that brings up whether age gap SHOULD be only when it's child x adult. Personally i dont want that. I think two adults with a gap in age is a nice story element to have in romance even tho i wish i could find more stories with 30+ being the younger age of the gap. I do tend to avoid this tag bc of that tho.

This story was so funny. It took MONTHS for them to start talking. She was too smooth.

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

gives me Murasakino vibes

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Does this really need the age gap tag when it's only 6 years and it seems like they are both adults? There's no mention to indicate school age or anything which is usually what I associate with age gap.

Cute story although I feel like Tamaki shoulda made a move earlier instead of right before she left since she was interested too? 6 months of waiting is a long time especially since she knew about the crush for months lol.

Well that brings up whether age gap SHOULD be only when it's child x adult. Personally i dont want that. I think two adults with a gap in age is a nice story element to have in romance even tho i wish i could find more stories with 30+ being the younger age of the gap. I do tend to avoid this tag bc of that tho.

I agree that it shouldn't only apply to child x adult, but I didn't mention it in my original post because it would just bring up a lot more issues like how many years does it take for it to be considered age gap as adults. I personally feel like 10+ years is when it's considered age gap, but I know it varies from person to person. Maybe even 8 years is age gap...but 6 just doesn't feel that big a gap to me by the time you hit mid 20s because by then most people have hit the main big life events that occur around then (finished school, have had a job, dealing with marriage expectations, etc) and are in a similar place in life.

I think the tag just really took me aback with this one shot since it didn't play any part in the story or dynamics and it never really established how young the mc was. Like would 30 and 36 still be considered an age gap? Age gap stories to me are usually about characters with a power imbalance due to different maturity levels caused by their life experiences (or lack of).

The only story I can think of an age gap where the younger person is 30+ right now is this one: https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/water_coloured

last edited at Oct 27, 2022 6:23AM

Images
joined Aug 19, 2018

So there's U-haul lesbians and then there's this. I hope they become the former the next time they meet

To reply you must either login or sign up.