Forum › Maitsuki, Niwatsuki, Ooyatsuki discussion

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

I love the way things are going. I love that Miyako is aware of her situation and that she went all-in for the kill. I also very much appreciate that for a character that is depicted as very easygoing, carefree, and a tad airheaded, she's also capable, intelligent, and emotionally aware (for lack of a better term? I dunno, feels fitting). I feel that there are a lot of nice little surprises like this in the manga, where the writing and/or world/character building are better (and more interesting) than one would expect.

I think that was a big point of the flea market episode. To show that despite her goofiness, Miyako is EXTREMELY socially intelligent and despite her puppiness, is extremely smart around people and handling social situations. And that's why Suga got loveblasted while watching her work because her brain started turning the gears that 'oh, right she is a very capable gorgeous adult who's in love with me'

joined Mar 20, 2022

Hato x Ruri? I approve.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I love the way things are going. I love that Miyako is aware of her situation and that she went all-in for the kill. I also very much appreciate that for a character that is depicted as very easygoing, carefree, and a tad airheaded, she's also capable, intelligent, and emotionally aware (for lack of a better term? I dunno, feels fitting). I feel that there are a lot of nice little surprises like this in the manga, where the writing and/or world/character building are better (and more interesting) than one would expect.

I think that was a big point of the flea market episode. To show that despite her goofiness, Miyako is EXTREMELY socially intelligent and despite her puppiness, is extremely smart around people and handling social situations. And that's why Suga got loveblasted while watching her work because her brain started turning the gears that 'oh, right she is a very capable gorgeous adult who's in love with me'

This makes me wonder: I cannot think of many socially competent and confident young adults in yuri manga (or manga in general) off the top of my head. Is it just selection bias or are they really that rare? And if so, why do y'all think that is?

I
joined Mar 3, 2022

Loving this character description. No words, only ramen

The character description of Matsu Nojiko, depicting her thinking about ramen with no description words under her name (unlike the other characters which have descriptions)

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

In the left side of the layout of the house, is that the bathroom? the way I see it, first you enter the laundry area and the bath is behind, but that window is really big and low for a bath! I am in confusion, someone guide me through this house, the right side seems all fine but I don't get the labyrinth of the left, it's also really cramped.

last edited at Sep 10, 2022 2:40PM

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

"A day in the life of a landlord"? Looks more like a day in a life of a happily married housewife to me.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

That's one sparkly puppy Asako has waiting at home. ^_^

Yurinium_replenished
joined Jan 27, 2021

In the left side of the layout of the house, is that the bathroom? the way I see it, first you enter the laundry area and the bath is behind, but that window is really big and low for a bath! I am in confusion, someone guide me through this house, the right side seems all fine but I don't get the labyrinth of the left, it's also really cramped.

The door with the big window right next to it is the main door, from there you enter some entryway which then leads to the main room, to the left there's bathroom prefab and the two adjacent rooms are probably a separate room for the toilet and the shower/bathtub respectively. So yeah, it's a bathroom but separated into three parts (for ease of access while also maintaining some level of privacy if more than one person lives there).

EDIT: If you look at the pieces of the floor plan on the last page of the bonus chapter, the one on the upper left shows the exact make-up of that space. The bit with the tiled floor in the back is where the bathtub and shower are located, the L-shaped room is the main bit of the bathroom and the small separate area is likely where the toilet is.

last edited at Sep 10, 2022 4:40PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

sir.AnGer posted:

The door with the big window right next to it is the main door, from there you enter some entryway which then leads to the main room, to the left there's bathroom prefab and the two adjacent rooms are probably a separate room for the toilet and the shower/bathtub respectively. So yeah, it's a bathroom but separated into three parts (for ease of access while also maintaining some level of privacy if more than one person lives there).

EDIT: If you look at the pieces of the floor plan on the last page of the bonus chapter, the one on the upper left shows the exact make-up of that space. The bit with the tiled floor in the back is where the bathtub and shower are located, the L-shaped room is the main bit of the bathroom and the small separate area is likely where the toilet is.

Oh yeah I have no problems with the main door and the clear glass next to it, and yes thanks the next pages show a better aerial view of the bathroom part, but the part about the window is true, see in the shower there's a big square window xD I don't know how I feel about that haha, looks like someone could have a full view if they were standing outside is what I meant... silly things I notice probably because I'm a pervert.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Oh yeah I have no problems with the main door and the clear glass next to it, and yes thanks the next pages show a better aerial view of the bathroom part, but the part about the window is true, see in the shower there's a big square window xD I don't know how I feel about that haha, looks like someone could have a full view if they were standing outside is what I meant... silly things I notice probably because I'm a pervert.

Depends on the window. It could be opaque enough for it not to be a problem.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

I'd assume the window glass is frosted, so nobody's gonna see what's going on inside.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Really is a puppy.
Comes running to welcome her owner home.
Sleeps curled up on the floor.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

Oh wow, thought this would just be one of those "gal pal" roomies, but there's actually progression + slice of life relaxedness in this? Neat!

La%20pucelle%2004
joined Apr 12, 2021

that second colored page is so classy

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

That's such a nice touch with the mirror reflection on the coloured page

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

This makes me wonder: I cannot think of many socially competent and confident young adults in yuri manga (or manga in general) off the top of my head. Is it just selection bias or are they really that rare? And if so, why do y'all think that is?

Pretty sure most of the non-MC cast of Swallow Tail fits that description.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Pretty sure most of the non-MC cast of Swallow Tail fits that description.

Secondary cast with those traits are quite common, but even in Swallow Tail, the main characters are awkward teenagers (internally).

last edited at Sep 12, 2022 10:17AM

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

I wouldn't go as far as "who's in love with me" just yet, but that's a good point. My original comment mentioned as well that there really are a lot of clever character-building moments in this series and that's really neat. Also puppiness is the perfect description and I'm almost ashamed I haven't thought of it myself.

I'm gonna say it's a little bit of both. This is personal opinion and conjecture more than anything else as well as a vast over-simplification and/or over-exaggeration that I don't feel I have enough space here to actually properly dive into, but I think it mostly comes down to that it's just much harder to craft a story around characters who aren't bumbling buffoons, abysmal edgelords, or otherwise disadvantaged in some manner (social awkwardness, etc.) or rather, to come at this from the other side, it's simply much easier for the "lazy"* author to work with ugly ducklings and/or clean-slates.

*note: not everyone who does is a lazy author, but I'm specifically referring to those lazy authors. The ones whose MC of choice is dark-haired recluse template number 403-A. Stuff like that.

Also competent and confident can both be a little bit vague to determine, I'd say. I'm trying to think of young adults (which by the way would be in the 19-25ish age range, right?) that fit but I'm really drawing a blank. I want to say Doughnuts Under a Crescent Moon's Hinako, maybe? I mean, she's got issues, but also something(s) that serves as an anchor, but that's what I mean about determining which is which. Actually, Usui Shio's other work has both main characters who fit the bill perfectly, I'd say.

In any case, more importantly, I've been re-reading because why the hell not, and only now realized that the earrings Miyako was wearing to the concert and afterward were those that she picked up in the flea market, and I am loving this bit of detail; I find it incredibly cute.

last edited at Sep 12, 2022 12:10PM

Fb_img_1596724226396
joined May 14, 2017

former idol becoming housewives

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

I can't stop laughing at the bottom of page 11.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Distance? What distance? :D

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Hato x Ruri vibes off the charts this chapter. Love the facial expressions :D

joined May 1, 2015

I am her for Hato x Ruri now.
Miyako x Onee san can wait.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Oh I reaaaaaaally love this, because the previous chapter gave a "we might need to be apart" kinda vibe but here she does the smart think and talks with friends about it!! oh my God how I love adult yuri done right.

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

Great first session for the Council of Gay. The synchronization and chemistry between Hatomori and Ruri are on point and it's simply glorious. I also love how even through the snark they both still care and fully support Miyako. I'm curious about Asako's reaction to the birthday thing, looking forward to seeing this develop. Also why on earth would this be on the news to begin with lol.

To reply you must either login or sign up.