Forum › A Scummy Gap Student With a Hard Life Calls Upon a Lady of the Night discussion

8a9
joined Feb 7, 2018

these author notes are great lmao

joined Dec 13, 2020

Isn't Scummy-chan supposed to study to get into a good college?
Then what the hell is this about a job?

If her asshole parents want her to start working immediately at a full-time job, then there's no point in all this preparation for college exams that she won't have a chance to take! Something is very wrong here. I don't think it's a matter of translation nuance, so it has to be some implied meaning that we won't catch until next chp.

Yurinium_replenished
joined Jan 27, 2021

Isn't Scummy-chan supposed to study to get into a good college?
Then what the hell is this about a job?

If her asshole parents want her to start working immediately at a full-time job, then there's no point in all this preparation for college exams that she won't have a chance to take! Something is very wrong here. I don't think it's a matter of translation nuance, so it has to be some implied meaning that we won't catch until next chp.

Going by what I've seen in other Japanese media, high school pupils fill out a future career survey form by year 2 which I suppose is used to help them pick a college and from there on out, possible future places of employment, maybe even in combination with an internship?

Also scumbag's parents are wealthy from what we've seen, I wouldn't be shocked if they pulled some strings to try and secure a future place of employment for her.

Teru%20frown
joined Jul 9, 2020

Since Makino is an idiot she's 100% expecting one thing and she's going into a solo study session with Satou and nothing more.

The flip-side to this is that Makino would probably power through a solo study session just for a head pat from Satou and still be happy. (At least in the moment.)

Kobayashismile
joined Apr 7, 2021

damn this author's insane
"sorry guys i had to give birth but I'm back now" like a day later
"I got sick but I got over it in half a day" :moyai:

Yurinium_replenished
joined Jan 27, 2021

Also scumbag's parents are wealthy from what we've seen, I wouldn't be shocked if they pulled some strings to try and secure a future place of employment for her.

Guess I was a little further off but not too far.

Kinda feel for Makino here, having no real ideas for the future but having nagging parents who want to push you into stuff for... whatever reason isn't something I'm personally unfamiliar with.

Smirk
joined Oct 6, 2021

She may be scummy, but if I had parents like that, I probably wouldn't have turned out the best either...

Angryface
joined Mar 22, 2021

Another chapter out faster than I thought, thanks.

Satou 100% is going to get her to study as it's only an hour and oh boy she isn't listening at all and will need it.

NGL if this new girl is like the last girl and is using the health service as well I am going to find that boring as it is just repeating.

joined May 24, 2019

Lately, the faces Makino keeps making...
She's getting more and more like Toudou from Sorry but I'm Not Into Yuri.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

She may be scummy, but if I had parents like that, I probably wouldn't have turned out the best either...

Makes you wonder, is she truly scummy or just has shitty parents? Parents putting too much pressure on children will only get you two results, I think: deep down they don't trust/like you + are overachievers (her sister) or they don't trust/like you + ended up hating studying/work and thinking they don't fit it (MC)

joined Jan 14, 2020

Satou 100% is going to get her to study as it's only an hour and oh boy she isn't listening at all and will need it.

"Bring your materials just to be safe" and "I can't do the long or health [sex?] course" doesn't sound like studying to me.

As for the parents... they're pushy in the sense of "you need to be doing something useful", but I figure they would back off and be supportive if Makino actually wanted to do something else (that they approved of). It's not "we have your life planned out for you" but "since you DON'T, here do this, we're not supporting a NEET if we can help it."

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

"Bring your materials just to be safe" and "I can't do the long or health [sex?] course" doesn't sound like studying to me.

I see you've missed the key word, she write "bring your studying materials just to be safe". I'm pretty sure it's just studying

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

I wonder how big the delay is between a chapter coming out and us getting it?,because isn't it already autumn?...

joined Sep 1, 2021

just to be safe...

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

As for the parents... they're pushy in the sense of "you need to be doing something useful", but I figure they would back off and be supportive if Makino actually wanted to do something else (that they approved of). It's not "we have your life planned out for you" but "since you DON'T, here do this, we're not supporting a NEET if we can help it."

I do not think this would happen, simply for the fact that old habits die hard, especially if it's the parents' view of their kid's ability to make sound decisions for themselves. Makino's old folks are used to viewing her as a good-for-nothing, so even if she suddenly developed an ambition, if her preferred career weren't, by a sheer fluke, exactly her parents' dream job, they would do everything in their power to foil said ambition, simply out of habit of treating Makino's every decision as dumb and irresponsible. Makino's mom is someone who barges into her room and goes through her stuff without asking for permission, and that tells me all I need to know about what she thinks about Makino's ability to function an independent adult. :-)

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Makino's mom is someone who barges into her room and goes through her stuff without asking for permission, and that tells me all I need to know about what she thinks about Makino's ability to function an independent adult. :-)

You mean when she was just cleaning the room and saw the Love Hotel card not hidden ? Truly a violation of privacy.

they would do everything in their power to foil said ambition, simply out of habit of treating Makino's every decision as dumb and irresponsible.

hur, no. Seem they will be more than happy that Makino finally make a decision but since she can't makeone, they forced one. The did say they'd ask her sister before for the job but sinceher has an idea for her future, they decide to report on Makino,who clearly seem to not give that much care to her future if it doesn't involve doing ecchi things with Maron.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Makino's mom is someone who barges into her room and goes through her stuff without asking for permission, and that tells me all I need to know about what she thinks about Makino's ability to function an independent adult. :-)

You mean when she was just cleaning the room and saw the Love Hotel card not hidden ? Truly a violation of privacy.

You speak sarcastically, but I actually do find it a violation of Makino's privacy. I find that if an adult child is living with their parents, a healthy boundary would be for the parent to only enter the child's room when invited and for the child to take full responsibility for keeping their own room clean (or at least for preventing the mess from spilling out into the rest of the house). At least that's how it worked in my parents' house until I moved out at 21, so I may be weird in this regard. The fact that Makino's mom feels both compelled and entitled to enter Makino's room whenever she feels like cleaning it indicates to me that a) no such boundary is in place in their household and b) she does not think Makino capable of cleaning her own room herself.

they would do everything in their power to foil said ambition, simply out of habit of treating Makino's every decision as dumb and irresponsible.

hur, no. Seem they will be more than happy that Makino finally make a decision

Can you remind me when they actually said that they will respect her decisions? I may be judging them too harshly.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

You speak sarcastically, but I actually do find it a violation of Makino's privacy. I find that if an adult child is living with their parents, a healthy boundary would be for the parent to only enter the child's room when invited and for the child to take full responsibility for keeping their own room clean (or at least for preventing the mess from spilling out into the rest of the house). At least that's how it worked in my parents' house until I moved out at 21, so I may be weird in this regard. The fact that Makino's mom feels both compelled and entitled to enter Makino's room whenever she feels like cleaning it indicates to me that a) no such boundary is in place in their household and b) she does not think Makino capable of cleaning her own room herself

Her mom was doing because she saw that Makino was working hard, she was actually doing it to relief Makino, a bit sad that for the one time she does something genuine to help Makino, her mom get call off for violating her privacy.

Can you remind me when they actually said that they will respect her decisions? I may be judging them too harshly.

They forced her on the job because Makino didn't give them a clue about what she want for her future career for a long time. I would believe that if she had give them at least a somewhat solid career choice, they would have respect it. They force on her because they're tired of her being a NEET.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Ah, the ethics court has moved on from the issue of how scummy the MC is to how scummy her parents are—progress of a sort.

So Makino fails to see that if she takes over management of her parents’ prep school, she would become Satou-san’s boss . . .

last edited at Sep 5, 2022 9:15AM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Ah, the ethics court has moved on from the issue of how scummy the MC is to how scummy her parents are—progress of a sort.

Could say reap what you sow

Eri
joined Aug 30, 2020

Never thought I'd see the day when Makino's parents would have someone staunchly defending them. Wild.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Her mom was doing because she saw that Makino was working hard, she was actually doing it to relief Makino, a bit sad that for the one time she does something genuine to help Makino, her mom get call off for violating her privacy.

Even if we were to believe her that this was her only motivation for rummaging through Makino's stuff, it is still a violation of privacy to enter someone's bedroom without permission (or some kind of emergency), as far as I am concerned. :-)

They forced her on the job because Makino didn't give them a clue about what she want for her future career for a long time. I would believe that if she had give them at least a somewhat solid career choice, they would have respect it. They force on her because they're tired of her being a NEET.

Ah, apologies, I seem to have worded my question misleadingly: I did not ask whether you believed that her parents would respect Makino's own life choices, but whether they have actually expressed their readiness to do so in the manga so far. :-)

last edited at Sep 5, 2022 11:12AM

joined Jul 21, 2020

Ah, apologies, I seem to have worded my question misleadingly: I did not ask whether you believed that her parents would respect Makino's own life choices, but whether they have actually expressed their readiness to do so in the manga so far. :-)

Your question wasn't misleading at all: you worded it perfectly. The other part dodged it and went on rambling about something else because they had nothing to reply.

Because, in fact, Makino's parents never told her that they would respect her life choices whatever they are. Never ever.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Even if we were to believe her that this was her only motivation for rummaging through Makino's stuff, it is still a violation of privacy to enter someone's bedroom without permission (or some kind of emergency), as far as I am concerned. :-)

For real ? I send you the page where you can see that she was doing it genuinly for once and you stil deny it and force the narrative of "violating privacy" when she was cleaning the room. Not her mom fault she let the love hotel card in plain view. I guess it's a 1-1 in terms od denying one 's arguments.

Never thought I'd see the day when Makino's parents would have someone staunchly defending them. Wild.

Maybe if Makino wasn't so annoying to me, might have not defend them but i can't bring myself anymore to like this character who don't seem redeemable in the slightest. She is just a horny dog thinking about how much she can spend on lewd course and after 31 chapters it's just annoying.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

For real ? I send you the page where you can see that she was doing it genuinly for once and you stil deny it and force the narrative of "violating privacy" when she was cleaning the room. Not her mom fault she let the love hotel card in plain view. I guess it's a 1-1 in terms od denying one 's arguments.

No, what you have sent me was a page where Makino's mom has been caught red-handed while rummaging through her adult child's private items without her permission, justified her violation of said child's privacy with a claim of help that the latter has never asked for, then immediately shifted attention and blame from her own transgression onto Makino's, conveniently leaving the latter no room to question her mom's actions.

I am just not inclined to believe in the "genuineness" of a character's intentions when a) she has just been caught doing something morally dubious by the person she was doing it to and b) has no prior history of genuine respect for that person in the first place, as has been pointed out above.

EDIT: And just for the sake of completeness and of not "denying one's arguments", the argument of "not her mom's fault for not hiding the card" is loaded with the presumption that Makino's bedroom is not her private space, to begin with. If a space is private, it shouldn't matter whether something in it is "in plain view" or not, as no one but the owner should access it. Makino's room does have a door with "Makino" clearly spelled on it, which marks a very clear boundary where the family space ends and her private space begins.

last edited at Sep 5, 2022 12:54PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.