Forum › Hana Ni Arashi discussion

Eri
joined Aug 30, 2020

I fail to understand some people's obsession with them coming out. It's their lives, their relationship, when they come out is their business, leave them alone wtf.

It's easier to have a healthy relationship when you're not trying to hide it from friends and family.

Blastaar's own comment aside (they've got a point), it's not always easier for people to come out unfortunately. Their current perspective tells them it's safer for the two of them to keep going in secret until they can free themselves from some of the risk they believe their relationship carries at home. I have some personal experience with this, it was only after I left that I was able to come out. Maybe things will change when/if they both go to Tokyo.

joined Sep 6, 2018

Chapter 112: Interesting conundrum: ditch high school girl because aspirations don’t match or change majors to stay with “the Only One”? In this manga—they’ll stay together. IRL, thanks for the memories… moving on.

Edit: Blastaar’s comment was funny on a couple levels.

last edited at Jun 9, 2022 11:59PM

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

Chapter 112: Interesting conundrum: ditch high school girl because aspirations don’t match or change majors to stay with “the Only One”? In this manga—they’ll stay together. IRL, thanks for the memories… moving on.

Except she'd do the same thing whether she stays or goes to Tokyo. She's gonna learn patisserie either way, it's just that before she assumed she'd stay at home since the kinda school she'll go to is already closely available so there was no need to think about moving until now.

joined Nov 22, 2019

Small typo in chap 111:
"well... to time study" -> "well... time to study"

??? Didn't you just read it wrong?

Eri
joined Aug 30, 2020

Small typo in chap 111:
"well... to time study" -> "well... time to study"

??? Didn't you just read it wrong?

It was corrected since that was posted, so you're likely reading the corrected version.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Making plans. ^_^

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

^_^

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Except she'd do the same thing whether she stays or goes to Tokyo. She's gonna learn patisserie either way, it's just that before she assumed she'd stay at home since the kinda school she'll go to is already closely available so there was no need to think about moving until now.

Well, yeah, the romance-manga trope is that each person in a couple has to decide where they're going after high school, and the "romantic" choice is to be together.

I get the impression, though, that in Japan Tokyo is the magnet for aspiring young people in a way that isn't necessarily the case in the US or in Europe (and I definitely get that impression about Seoul in Korea). As Nanoha points outs, she has a handful of school choices in her region, but exponentially more potential schools in Tokyo.

In other words, for people from the provinces, the choice is between staying near home and getting an OK education/professional preparation or going to Tokyo for the big(ger) time start in life. But in the US that "bigger time" might be New York, but it might also be Chicago, or LA, or any number of other places depending on an individual's ambitions.

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

Well, yeah, the romance-manga trope is that each person in a couple has to decide where they're going after high school, and the "romantic" choice is to be together.

I get the impression, though, that in Japan Tokyo is the magnet for aspiring young people in a way that isn't necessarily the case in the US or in Europe (and I definitely get that impression about Seoul in Korea). As Nanoha points outs, she has a handful of school choices in her region, but exponentially more potential schools in Tokyo.

In other words, for people from the provinces, the choice is between staying near home and getting an OK education/professional preparation or going to Tokyo for the big(ger) time start in life. But in the US that "bigger time" might be New York, but it might also be Chicago, or LA, or any number of other places depending on an individual's ambitions.

Having spent time in both France and England, I'd add that it's pretty much the same with Paris and London. There's a very definite ''the capital vs the rest'' mindset. I guess it's more of a thing in smaller countries (in the geographical sense, not the population) .

last edited at Jun 10, 2022 10:21AM

joined Jan 14, 2020

In one of her later books, Jane Jacobs wrote about the tendency of the biggest city to get even bigger.

And yeah, Tokyo has been growing in population despite Japan's overall shrinkage. (And has kept housing prices stable despite the growth. Vs. places like San Francisco which triples in price while barely growing...)

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Kojiro481 posted:

Having spent time in both France and England, I'd add that it's pretty much the same with Paris and London. There's a very definite ''the capital vs the rest'' mindset. I guess it's more of a thing in smaller countries (in the geographical sense, not the population) .

I don't know that I'd call Japan or France small. Japan is about the same size as the entire west coast of the US. California takes up about half that area and if it were its own country, it'd still rank in the top 40 or 50 countries by territory. France is roughly the same size as Texas which is similar in size to California. The UK would be the best one for what you said, though it's still fairly close in size to France.

Japan-US Comparison
France-US Comparison
UK-US Comparison

Bonus comparison between all of Europe and the US:
Europe-US Comparison

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Kojiro481 posted:

I don't know that I'd call Japan or France small. Japan is about the same size as the entire west coast of the US. California takes up about half that area and if it were its own country, it'd still rank in the top 40 or 50 countries by territory. France is roughly the same size as Texas which is similar in size to California. The UK would be the best one for what you said, though it's still fairly close in size to France.

[Snip mostly irrelevant data.] OK, so maybe the "capital and then the rest" syndrome isn't a function of being a "small" country, according to those who want to quibble about what a "small" country is (and who don't take into account how much of Japan's geographical area is unavailable for dense human population).

But since the issue at hand is cultural focus rather than measurements of topographical area, the "capital and then the rest" certainly does seem to be heavily reflected in Japanese popular culture, and both halves of a high-school couple deciding to continue their lives in the Tokyo area specifically resonates very differently than would, say, two teenagers in the US deciding to go off to New York City.

last edited at Jun 10, 2022 8:09PM

joined Jan 14, 2020

'Small' here might be how big the central metropolis is as a percentage of national population. Greater Tokyo is like 1/3 of Japan, while the 23 wards are 1/10th. Greater London is like 1/7th of the UK. Greater Toronto is 1/8 of Canada. Greater Paris is more than 1/5 of France's population.

1/10th of the US would be 32 million people. A very broad definition of the NYC metro area, sprawling into 4 states, tops out at 24 million. L.A. all the way out to Riverside is 18 million. So the US doesn't have a single dominant city the way many smaller countries do.

(Also the US separates political from other capitals, not that that matters much for culinary schools.)

last edited at Jun 10, 2022 8:55PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Bonus comparison between all of Europe and the US:
(https://i.imgur.com/PQTBZUb.jpeg)

How about turning the US 180°, looks like this would avoid having a big part of it over water? ;)

joined Mar 8, 2016

"Pineapple konnyaku?" Ewwww. Nanoha, what is wrong with you? XD Who picks a beverage that proudly advertises itself as "Thick!"?

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

"Pineapple konnyaku?" Ewwww. Nanoha, what is wrong with you? XD Who picks a beverage that proudly advertises itself as "Thick!"?

I love the idea of drinking pineapple jello out of a juicebox. It's just so funny.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I love the idea of drinking pineapple jello out of a juicebox. It's just so funny.

I must admit that Asian snacks/snack drinks sometimes look unutterably appealing on TV, even though I expect that few of them would actually live up to expectations.

For a while I would watch Kdramas and get a craving for strawberry milk or banana milk. But even though both are available in the US I've never tried either for fear of disappointment. (And I'd never make it at home because then it wouldn't be Korean.)

last edited at Apr 4, 2023 8:42AM

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

I must admit that Asian snacks/snack drinks sometimes look unutterably appealing on TV, even though I expect that few of them would actually live up to expectations.

For a while I would watch Kdramas and get a craving for strawberry milk or banana milk. But even though both are available in the US I've never tried either for fear of disappointment. (And I'd never make it home because then it wouldn't be Korean.)

I used to drink strawberry and banana milk a lot in school as a teen. 's good stuff. One of those things where you could easily make it yourself but somehow it just never tastes like the stuff you can buy. Got that specific "processed food" quality to it that sometimes is just so comforting xD

So nothing groundbreaking for sure but tasty nonetheless~ Doubt the stuff we got here in Germany would be vastly different in taste from some anywhere else either really

Roodypatooti
Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

Separation

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

I feel like it would be a break from cliché to have them actually go to school in different cities and successfully maintain a long-distance relationship. We've got the "Wait I'm going with you!" trope already with Yamada and Kase-san, so it would be a cool change of pace to see "Yeah, no, I gotta go where the education is" but still have it all work out anyways. Long-distance relationships are tough, but they don't have to be the death of a relationship.

last edited at Apr 4, 2023 10:44AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Damn—I just knew with that title this series would end in tragedy.

[Narrator: The series will not end in tragedy.]

last edited at Jul 4, 2022 9:31PM

Nobody
joined Aug 17, 2019

That was surprisingly mature.

While I love this couple of airheads, I think it would be an interesting twist if they were to break up during Univ.
If anything, for a change.

joined Aug 23, 2011

This might my inner asian speaking but I wouldn't mind a bittersweet ending with them breaking up in favour of their education.
As long as there's no time skip where one of them is marrying a dude...

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

It's good that they're actually talking about this stuff and being pro active, it's kind of a rarity in manga (^^) I don't think it's such a big issue FWIW, plenty of people can make a long distance relationship work, especially nowadays. I'm sure everything will turn out fine either way ^_^

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

This might my inner asian speaking but I wouldn't mind a bittersweet ending with them breaking up in favour of their education.
As long as there's no time skip where one of them is marrying a dude...

Not to be culturally insensitive or anything, but fuck no.

Get their education, sure, but I’ll settle for nothing less than science babies.

To reply you must either login or sign up.