Forum › Liar Satsuki Can See Death discussion

sweetjalapeno15
Ne
joined Nov 21, 2017

I just want Akira to be okay is she okay this is all that matters

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

I love this manga's approach to idealism. Where it breaks down how the idealism can harm people and that it's kinda garbage and limits you as a person, but doesn't just, like, tell you, "succumb to society's expectations!" It's more got this theme that everyone has their own way to exist/their own ideals that they're not going to compromise on, some people just have it harder.

03fca6214046e15b1cbd7ed7cd767b1a
joined May 26, 2020

still scared about that Akira deathflag don't think I've forgotten

Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

I think Seo might actually die. Really hope I’m wrong though. Kai continues to be nauseating.

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

I seriously can't stand that stupid council president and his smug ass face and his annoying assistant that just goes along with what he wants. I have a feeling Seo might actually die as well. She's been able to save everyone at this point and a few of them multiple times at this point she's bound to lose someone and it's really gonna rock her hard when she isn't able to save someone.

Also Akira needs to hurry up and show up again I miss not seeing those two together.

Untitled-1
joined Feb 6, 2017

None of those notes about Seo really sounded bad enough to kill someone over? The two that were covered might be, but you can't really read them. I would have put "Seo killed my cat and laughed" front and center if I was trying to convince people Seo was a bad enough bully to deserve to die.

joined May 26, 2022

None of those notes about Seo really sounded bad enough to kill someone over? The two that were covered might be, but you can't really read them. I would have put "Seo killed my cat and laughed" front and center if I was trying to convince people Seo was a bad enough bully to deserve to die.

The way the letters are worded seems that people just assumed she did those things or at least that's how it is in the unofficial English translation. Seo was really mean to Satsuki but who knows if the accusations were true or if they were exaggerated.

Satsuaki
joined Oct 9, 2021

I'm dumb and forgot this is actually the 3rd time Satsuki's gotten locked in a room and jumped out a window. In Japanese, Satsuki calls it 二番煎じ, simply saying she's done this before.

Also I can't get enough of that scene. It's amazing how a manga this tense can be that funny.

The way the letters are worded seems that people just assumed she did those things or at least that's how it is in the unofficial English translation. Seo was really mean to Satsuki but who knows if the accusations were true or if they were exaggerated.

They're like that in Japanese too. Some just plain hard to read with covered text, so I did take little liberties, but definitely bits like ように見えました and ゼッタイアイツ that ironically don't sound 100% confident. But collectively, they kind of tell a story of a 1st year getting abused hard enough to start skipping club, which might be our introduction to this new girl. Assuming it's not Michiru with a makeover. There's some confusion over that even with Japanese fans.

joined Jan 21, 2020

Satsuki going full chad mode this chapter, busting up that door like its nothing and capturing 2 people at once. You love to see it, hope she manages to save her

joined Mar 19, 2022

Killing the President may actually be the morally correct choice here. He's never going to stop. Of course, Satsuki would never, ever do that but still. I mean how many times has he committed attempted murder?

You're in that category too president.

joined Jun 5, 2018

Comparing with the authors previous work, this one's a lot better. Although to be fair, prez is a 1 to 1 depiction of ayao, or however that dude was called. Aesthetically, and also from his role. Antagonistic force with no real (but indeed 'self consistent') common sense.

This kind of makes him a bit dissappointing. He has a bit of the other occult butler guy in him too.

I
joined Mar 3, 2022

And later, expect a bonus crossover chapter with Satsuki vs Tokiko

yay! that would be amazing ♥‿♥

Images%20(2)
joined Sep 28, 2021

Bro why every panel with Satsuki facing the president has so much sexual tension what the hell

last edited at Jun 16, 2022 1:38PM

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Bro why every panel with Satsuki facing the president has so much sexual tension what the hell

Any time she gets in his face she's extremely angry and he's scared shitless, we've seen what Satsuki's reaction to feeling sexual tension upon close proximity is with Akira on her bed and Komachi in the closet and it's very different. Personally I feel it's pretty fun that she expresses her physical superiority over prez with so much confidence without getting embarassed.

joined May 1, 2013

Nah, Satsuki's (many) moments of sexual tension are easy to spot, because she always reacts by exploding with joy afterward.

Which is one of the improvements of this manga over Walk To Death. The main character is a very rigidly extreme weirdo, but she is actually allowed a likeable personality outside of that.

It's also really jarringly different in theme. In Talk to Death, you see people being awful during the worst moment in their lives, and then you see them all killed off one by one. The manga doesn't portray that as good, per se, but presumably you're meant to get dark slasher-movie enjoyment out of it. (It does then turn the tables on you in the second half by doing the same thing to characters you're definitely meant to like.)

But here, we have characters who are awful over an extended period of time, and the whole point is they absolutely do not deserve to die for it. I just realized Satsuki's power is key there on a meta level: the gore lovers and murder mystery fans get their dead bodies, but no one actually dies.

Capture
joined Apr 16, 2020

It's becoming a harem and I've no problem with it.

I wonder what Seo really did referring to those in the comment box, most of them were either not sure or secondary source. The new girl is most likely a murderous one.

BortzObsessed
8abdf478-6a82-44b1-8f02-abaa8c9ba316
joined May 20, 2022

I would’ve handcuffed her to myself and called it a day. Lmao that’s too much running around and potential deaths.

joined Jul 7, 2020

It's becoming a harem and I've no problem with it.

I wonder what Seo really did referring to those in the comment box, most of them were either not sure or secondary source. The new girl is most likely a murderous one.

not new

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

I read this all in 2 days after reading Shi ni aruki!!! I love Satsuki-chan! I have to say, with the title, I expected a lot of deaths and nothing so far...and when it happens it'll be insane. I wonder what's up with Komachi? she is indeed mysterious, thanks to the translator/s!!!!

Trappista_cheese_original%20(1)
joined Apr 10, 2020

This hatred of Prez could be avoid if author stop making his smug face too many times, if he's serious, he should have serious face so the viewer could accept him more.

And one thing, this might make a lots of people will hate this, but Satsuki will possibly be like Prez, not the smug face douchebag, but she will have Prez's ideal (some of it, will explain later). Have you heard seven stage of grief?

Satsuki has gone through Shock, Denial, and Anger, next chapter she will experience Bargaining with how Seo's death is inevitable.

Remember, Satsuki wasn't experienced like Prez, he might have gone through a lot to the point he has this messed up mindset.

About the Prez's ideal, sure some criminal should be kill (serial killer as example), but if it's bully, it's quite unlikely she will kill first, she will mostly teach them lessons(in the most horrific way), let's say multiple times, if they still did it to the point the victim has mental breakdown, you know the words already.

"But why not save the victim before he/she has mental breakdown?" you might ask. Well, she could but...

...that's literally what Prez's ideal is.

I want to add more thing, why the Grim Reaper appearance is lacking? Last time I saw him on Early Chapter(and it's once), surely he will be the main subject, I am 100% he's the one gave Prez and Satsuki ability to see future death. Why? I don't know. Maybe there has multiple Grim Reapers.

Now, you're asking which side I'm in? It's Prez, sure his method is merciless, but why let the Bully bully more people, it's like talking to serial killer and send them to jail for 5 years and releases him, guess what? Serial killer kills more people and this time it's hard to catch him, what a perfect world.

Why am I comparing Bully with Serial Killer? Both lacking care of others, they just do it for their enjoyment, they don't care about other.

last edited at Jun 17, 2022 2:53PM

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

The president is in no position to judge who deserves to die, though. He thinks he's some vigilante of justice? All I see is a (potential) criminal, who, by his own standards, should be killed himself. And you simply cannot compare a bully to a murderer and claim that they deserve equal punishment, because they have not caused equal harm. The matter of whether the death sentence should or shouldn't exist at all is a rather controversial one and I am not planning on discussing it here, but what the author has made rather clear is that, in this context, the president is in the wrong. Which is not to say that Satsuki is necessary completely right, only that the president is an arrogant, self-proclaimed enforcer of punishment to the ones he sees as irredeemably evil, who can't even realize that his own actions go against his "ideals".

I really can't see how anyone would give him any credit, when he decides to kill a student without even having actual evidence that she's done anything wrong.

Trappista_cheese_original%20(1)
joined Apr 10, 2020

I really can't see how anyone would give him any credit, when he decides to kill a student without even having actual evidence that she's done anything wrong.

They do have.

But we, as the reader, didn't see the evidence, obviously the author will put the backstory of his hatred of bully one way or another. It's just, I repeat again, the fact author made him look like a psychopath with how jerk he was invading Satsuki's personal privacy, and made his smile worse than Joker.

And you simply cannot compare a bully to a murderer and claim that they deserve equal punishment,

I didn't say their punishment would be equal, I did mention Satsuki should teach the bully lesson, not immediately kill them.

because they have not caused equal harm

Did I say they do the equal damage? No, I was saying of how their behavior are "Don't care to other people's feeling".

last edited at Jun 17, 2022 6:24PM

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

I feel like prez's deal in the overall story will be introducing Satsuki to the dilemma of whether it's right to save absolutely everyone and to the consequences of her messing with fate so often. He himself is not in the right with his mindset of letting mere bullies die, but it will build up to worse cases that could make Satsuki question herself, such as the already foreshadowed Akira's father who might try to kill Akira and her mother. As for messing with fate, prez noted that potential deaths around school have increased considerably since Satsuki started to prevent them, which will either be because of Komachi like someone else mentioned above, or because of the universe trying to course-correct. Both cases would lead to the argument that it's better to let some people die so that more can live, especially if/when we get to the event teased at the start of chapter 1 and people do die because of Satsuki's activities.

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

And you simply cannot compare a bully to a murderer and claim that they deserve equal punishment,

I didn't say their punishment would be equal, I did mention Satsuki should teach the bully lesson, not immediately kill them.

You're right, you did say that, I misread that part.

Now, you're asking which side I'm in? It's Prez, sure his method is merciless, but why let the Bully bully more people, it's like talking to serial killer and send them to jail for 5 years and releases him, guess what? Serial killer kills more people and this time it's hard to catch him, what a perfect world.

It was this that made me think you meant that bullies would be better off dead, which certainly isn't the solution.

I agree with what [edit: BeanBeanKingdom] said about Satsuki though, even if there aren't consequences for meddling with the universe or anything of the sort, I think it's pretty clear that Satsuki's methods aren't the best either: she never plans ahead or tries to find the root of the problem, which means that her actions would only lead to temporary solutions.

They do have.

But we, as the reader, didn't see the evidence, obviously the author will put the backstory of his hatred of bully one way or another. It's just, I repeat again, the fact author made him look like a psychopath with how jerk he was invading Satsuki's personal privacy, and made his smile worse than Joker.

I disagree. The "evidence", at least the one we were shown in this chapter, was questionable to say the least: half of the supposed reports were speculations at best, yet he's taking them as justification to kill another student. Whether he has a backsktory with bullies or not is irrelevant in this case; I was talking about his dicision to off a fellow student based on little and very shaky evidence. If anything, such a backsktory would be further proof that his judgment is clouded and he's taking out his hatred towards a past bully onto another (possibly innocent) person.

For the record, yes, I do believe there will be a backsktory, probably with vice-prez having been bullied in the past, but that is no excuse for the president's actions. And while I absolutely hate his disgusting face (I have mentioned that before after all), my assessment of his character is based on his actions and words, not on his smug expression—that just adds that extra spice that makes me want to punch him lol.

last edited at Jun 21, 2022 3:35PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.