Forum › Looking Up to Magical Girls discussion

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I wish that they would release an English version of the manga so I can actually buy it! It's so good and I just love everything about it. I'm so hyped for the next chapter!

Meanwhile i'm waiting for the french release to publish Vol.5

joined May 3, 2014

Sorry, but i need to say this is wrong, morally speaking since they are underage

wrong???? ummmmm do we read the same manga up to this point?? and whos morals are we talking about? defently not mines :3

C67
joined Aug 19, 2021

This manga is amazing.

Also let's appreciate the cute little moment between Leo and Alice just before shit hit the fan.

Rsz_1screenshot_2021-08-18_at_11-24-04_the_idolmaster_cinderella_girls_fr%c3%a9d%c3%a9rica_miyamoto_shiki_ichinose_%e3%83%ac%e3%82%a4%e3%82%b8%e3%83%bc%e3%83%ac%e3%82%a4%e3%82%b8%e3%83%bc_-_pixiv
joined Apr 25, 2018

The ending is kind of let down.

YuriQueen01: J-novel club is taking up this series under 'gushing over magical girls'. I think they've translated chapter 1 or something.

Img_20190716_154650
joined Oct 2, 2018

Introducing new characters like that feels so cheap. Hope their explanation is a good one. Have to wait and see in the next chapter.

20220125_003513
joined Jan 30, 2013

Ngl it feels limiting for the characters to be kids. Like I just wonder why they keep making such big stories with preteens. I've been enjoying it but the longer this goes the more they feel like they're 17 or 18 lol

Selfie
joined Aug 25, 2018

This manga just keeps rising the bar, god damn. Such an amazing art in this chapter, dark magenta and final boss baiser looked lit af. Can’t wait for next chapter.

Nobody
joined Aug 17, 2019

Ok, if they are supposedly from the same race, how come the white one doesn't know what is happening, even better, he appeared to have yet another team no one knew about, so clearly each side has their own hidden agenda.

joined Dec 16, 2017

Ngl it feels limiting for the characters to be kids. Like I just wonder why they keep making such big stories with preteens. I've been enjoying it but the longer this goes the more they feel like they're 17 or 18 lol

There are manga that may be better suited for you. Maybe try looking around the site and drop this one?

Hope you find something to enjoy!

welease.wodger
joined Oct 2, 2021

I think they are about 16-17( apart from Alice).

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

I kinda want some twist to the evil-mascot-not-twist. Like, they are doing what they are doing for very good and understandable reasons (even if their methods might be a bit questionable), and it turns out that sabotaging them is worse for everyone concerned ...
... or something ^^;

Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

This bothered me so much that I just had to create an account to comment...

Now just from where did these bitches come from!?

Although, judging from the fact that they have the heart-shaped transformation devices instead of the star ones (at least two of them do), they are magical girls. Anyway, while I do NOT feel these three's entrance, even though it does make sense, I sure do hope that is not the end for Uthena and Venalita, and most certainly NOT at the hands of these three new completely unrelated-to-the-main-cast characters. Because THAT would be a terrible end to an otherwise long build-up. This is what Vena and his intentions with Uthena have always been, as had has been hinted before. So, I would to want it to end just like that.

The one in the middle also has stars + her outfit is kind of frayed at the edges, and the one on the left kind of has traces of a destroyed magical girl outfit mixed with a corrupted vibe like magenta (those ribbons aren't attached to clothing, they're in her skin)
So they might all be magical girls or something in between.
Now that I look again the one in the middle also has kind of an exhibitionist outfit which is something the author hasn't done with the magical girls so far.

last edited at Mar 21, 2022 6:48AM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

They're middle schoolers.

last edited at Mar 21, 2022 8:05AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Standard Manga Character Age™

Amimaidprofile
joined Mar 5, 2019

Standard Manga Character Age™

Standard Japanese story age. Because an adult is too old to be the lead in RPGs, for example.

joined Nov 21, 2018

I feel like the choice to have them be middle schoolers is so that they're at the height of puberty and hormonal confusion. A hidden Aesop about dealing with your lewd emotions doesn't work as well when everyone's already 18 and fully mature.

__kawasumi_mai_and_kurata_sayuri_kanon_drawn_by_hiro_dismaless__af8fff43e603564f6b7349639e863a67
Fellowship of Freelancers
joined Oct 11, 2010

I forget where, but Utena specifically states she's 13 (or something around) at some point. Thematically, the series is about sexual development, so it makes a lot of sense for the cast to be around this age. Physically, they all seem more... developed than that, though...

Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

Standard Japanese story age. Because an adult is too old to be the lead in RPGs, for example.

There's different standards, but 14 is the norm for magical girls and mecha pilots (remember those?) whether they actually be 14 or 28 like in Eva or what have you. I wouldn't dwell on it too much beyond framing and genre convention.

There's a fairly decent amount of 21 year old RPG leads though they tend to be grizzled military veterans at that age. Cloud Strife, Lightning, Yuri Lowell, Alphen, etc. If you're looking for grizzled veteran magical girls I guess there's Spec Ops Asuka.

Murasmol5min
joined Mar 11, 2014

I forget where, but Utena specifically states she's 13 (or something around) at some point. Thematically, the series is about sexual development, so it makes a lot of sense for the cast to be around this age. Physically, they all seem more... developed than that, though...

The .5 chapters have bios for the girls: Utena, Kiwi, the Tres Magia girls, Matama, and Nemo are 14, Alice is 9, and then Lord and Sister are unknown.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Yeah but like... Whoever having trouble with their age is like 30 chapters late realizing what kind of manga this is

Aoi%20nagisa%20-%20s
joined Aug 17, 2012

Great to hear that J-Novel Club is picking this up at as they (at least according to their website) publish on Kobo - and Kobo reader is what I get a lot of my books on.

Tumblr_nbee0zysh31tbx9b9o1_1280
joined Dec 5, 2014

I was so shocked when they said all the girls are like 14-15 and my mind wnet "oh no...oh noooooooo"

Lewdssss
joined Mar 23, 2019

omg, it's the kinky version of PMMM now. lol

Murasmol5min
joined Mar 11, 2014

little chapter 36 predictions why not (gotta strike while the iron is hot (the iron is my brain)):
- Main event will be the new girls' intro and them fighting against Vena and Sister
- In parallel to that, getting a greatsword to the chest will allow Utena to get a bit of control back and confront Baiser in her mind
- Vatz might even do something! wouldn't that be a treat

last edited at Mar 22, 2022 9:47AM

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

GREAT CHAPTER, but I am also kind of mixed of it ending with the introduction of new characters.
Like the current situation is very personal to everyone involved with all these characters we've been following for most of the story, so throwing characters who we don't know what kind of conection they have to save the day is kind of a turn off.

Of course will have to wait and see how it develops, and at the very least this may mean the manga isn't ending soon.

To reply you must either login or sign up.