Forum › I Favor the Villainess discussion

Rae
joined Oct 7, 2021

Are we supposed to feel sorry about Lene and her brother...? Cause they literally made this whole scheme with the goal of killing all the nobles there in mind, Claire clearly included... Oh, but Lene was so sad when their eyes met...! Almost made me tear up

Also, weren't they planning to leave the country to get married? So they didn't even actually care about the revolution? I'd say that Claire is giving Lene too much credit here by blaming her attitude for this lol

I don't think it came across as well in the manga as in the LN, but they didn't come up with this plan. They were forced into it by the figure in black, who told Lambert that they'd kill Lene if he didn't go through with it (in the book Lene shows up with two other men that were guarding her/waiting to kill her if Lambert backed out, and they're the ones who have a knife pressed to Claire's neck; I didn't really care for the change, as it makes Lene look less sympathetic), while also promising that if Lambert completed the mission their agents would help the two of them run away to start a new life together where nobody knew about their secret. Rae sort of glosses over all that pretty quickly here; hopefully the next chapter goes into it in more detail when we hear Lene give Claire her explanation.

joined Dec 3, 2017

Good lord, I knew people were going to drop it because of this whole part, but honestly the author did their best to try to explain it in a way that makes sense to people. There's no relationship as taboo in current times to explain how people see LGBTQ as taboo, and that's honestly the most they could do. If you don't like it, just drop it and leave, no need to hate in the comments because in the end, it's just a book.

Manga did change things up a lot though, the entire scene was expressed way better in the LN/WN than how it showed up here. Confrontation was so awkward with everything appearing at once. Pretty understandable why people would forget that Rei knows the game like the back of her hand as a former doujin creator for Revolution. I do like that Relaire is getting so much screentime in the manga, though, so I forgive the changes.

Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

What do you mean with "bootstrap paradox" here? Are you suggesting that the Rei of the game later knew how to neutralize the poison because Rei does it here? Cause that wouldn't work since the Rei of the game was separate to the one that's been isekai'd (or at least that's what we've been led to believe so far).

A "bootstrap paradox" is using knowledge from the future to 'invent' something in the past/present such that it has no real origin anymore. And she did make doujins for Revolution so her knowledge of the game/series is pretty high. To be more specific though she used water magic to flush the poison from his system.

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

Then why are you even following it for? What enjoyment are you getting from it, exactly? Nothing in this novel seems to be your cup of tea.

That's a very good question, actually XD
I do like the artstyle and I've come to be somewhat interested in Claire... But everything else just ends up annoying me, so perhaps it'd really be for the best to drop it.

I don't think it came across as well in the manga as in the LN, but they didn't come up with this plan. They were forced into it by the figure in black, who told Lambert that they'd kill Lene if he didn't go through with it (in the book Lene shows up with two other men that were guarding her/waiting to kill her if Lambert backed out, and they're the ones who have a knife pressed to Claire's neck; I didn't really care for the change, as it makes Lene look less sympathetic), while also promising that if Lambert completed the mission their agents would help the two of them run away to start a new life together where nobody knew about their secret.

It sounds like the scene in the book made a whole lot more sense. But I'm not sure if I understood this correctly: did they agree to the plan at first and then wanted to back out? (and that was when they threatened to kill Lene?) Or do you mean that they were approached with this threat from the very beginning (which doesn't really seem to be the case, at least not in the manga)? Cause if it's the first, then I don't think it makes them all that more sympathetic.

A "bootstrap paradox" is using knowledge from the future to 'invent' something in the past/present such that it has no real origin anymore. And she did make doujins for Revolution so her knowledge of the game/series is pretty high. To be more specific though she used water magic to flush the poison from his system.

Okay, I'm definitely not very knowledgeable about this, but from what I found when I looked up the term, I don't think you could say that this is a bootstrap paradox...? Isn't the bootstrap paradox supposed to refer to an eternal loop caused when, for example, the actions of someone from the future lead to them being send to the past again once they reach that point in time? Which in this case would translate to Rei knowing how to neutralize the poison from her outside knowledge of the game, and her knowing how to do it and performing it now leading to heroine-Rei knowing how to do it later in the game.

In this case Rei doesn't use future knowledge in a way that she invents something that has no origin, because what she's experiencing and the events of the game are basically two separate timelines. The origin remains what it was (heroine-Rei's invention) and this Rei does not play any role in heroine-Rei finding a way to counteract the poison in the game. What I mean to say is, for this to be a bootstrap paradox (at least as I understood the term) Rei and heroine-Rei would need to be one and the same, or Rei's actions now would need to have directly affected heroine-Rei's efforts in finding the cure in the future.

Apart from that though, I can let go of my frustration about this one, cause if it's something as simple as that, she could have used it just by knowing that's what the heroine did.

last edited at Mar 9, 2022 11:48AM

Rae
joined Oct 7, 2021

It sounds like the scene in the book made a whole lot more sense. But I'm not sure if I understood this correctly: did they agree to the plan at first and then wanted to back out? (and that was when they threatened to kill Lene?) Or do you mean that they were approached with this threat from the very beginning (which doesn't really seem to be the case, at least not in the manga)? Cause if it's the first, then I don't think it makes them all that more sympathetic.

To my understanding, they were approached with the threat from the beginning. Neither of them are the type that would want to see anybody get hurt (which again makes me a bit miffed that they made that change and put the knife in Lene's hand). Yeah, they haven't explained it much here, but hopefully we'll get a better explanation next chapter. It was sort of a, "Do what we want or we'll kill her, but if you succeed we'll give you a reward." kind of scenario.

last edited at Mar 9, 2022 12:02PM

Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

Okay, I'm definitely not very knowledgeable about this, but from what I found when I looked up the term, I don't think you could say that this is a bootstrap paradox...? Isn't the bootstrap paradox supposed to refer to an eternal loop caused when, for example, the actions of someone from the future lead to them being send to the past again once they reach that point in time?

Not really, it just refers to an invention or idea that no longer has an origin. It does fit here somewhat (though not 100%) but I feel like instead of making it more understandable I made it more confusing. Sorry. Tangentially Rei tries to avoid making too many changes to the game timeline so that her knowledge of future events doesn't become worthless.

Otherwise... hrmm. I wouldn't call Claire tsundere per se but her character progression is classic tsundere. Maybe take a break and come back in a couple of years when she's more deredere?

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

Also for those wondering. The school life stuff is at this point getting phased out to the more Katerina-style Isekai stuff

38611606_p02
joined Feb 17, 2019

"I don't like all this revolution thing on my manga about a girl that was isekai'd to a game callen 'Revolution'"...

About the incest part, it's fiction, I don't see why so much noise in the comment section. If you want to talk about IRL incest problems then there's better places for that than a manga site. That being said, my favorite tags are "incest (sisters)" and "twins", and no, I don't want to bang my sister-

Rae
joined Oct 7, 2021

Otherwise... hrmm. I wouldn't call Claire tsundere per se but her character progression is classic tsundere. Maybe take a break and come back in a couple of years when she's more deredere?

Claire is practically a walking tsundere stereotype lol, but that's part of her charm (at least that's my impression). She becomes a bit less tsundere in the Empire storyline, but she never loses that part of her character. There's even a short story in the official version of book 4 where Rae and Claire's children start copying Claire's tsundere personality, causing problems for the family

last edited at Mar 10, 2022 2:15AM

Screenshot%202020-08-21%20at%2012.31.09
joined Jul 12, 2020

i feel like people are forgetting that this is an isekai?? 'how does she know this' can always be explained by the fact that she was a loser who was obsessed with this game.

Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

Claire is practically a walking tsundere stereotype lol, but that's part of her charm (at least that's my impression). She becomes a bit less tsundere in the Empire storyline, but she never loses that part of her character. There's even a short story in the official version of book 4 where Rae and Claire's children start copying Claire's tsundere personality, causing problems for the family

She's not really the "b-baka!" tsundere since she's more or less defined by the "ohohoho!"-ing villainy and obsession with her own status. I'd call her more himedere, which is nonetheless a tsundere variant. Its sort of a weird archetype itself because those characters rarely end up as love interests. I'd still liken her to a classic tsundere in terms of overall character progression though, because while she doesn't lose her edge entirely there are permanent changes to her character.

I'm still waiting on my copy of LN 4 since I bundled it with a bunch of other preorders. Hopefully I'll have it at some point this month.

DivineAlexandra
Ihstarresi
joined Jun 22, 2018

Claire's tsundere vibes remind me of the vibe I get from what I've seen of Saijou Claudine in doujins/arts, with the kinda refined lady who cannot for the life of her be honest about her feelings and ends up being really aggressive about it, but is actually really sweet when it comes to it. Maybe as mentioned above himedere is a better term, idk.

So far I haven't felt Claire has opened up all that much, so I find it a bit hard to imagine them eventually having kids even--but I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes down.

last edited at Mar 10, 2022 10:30AM

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Aw man, I liked Lene.

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Claire's tsundere vibes remind me of the vibe I get from what I've seen of Saijou Claudine in doujins/arts

Me too. If you're a fan of that, I'd suggest checking out the mayakuro works by momoxtoshiro on ao3. It's not quite Rei and Claire, but it really fills that void.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

People nitpicking really hard in this thread, basically asking all the future, past and present events in details BUT without spoiling the story and then blaming the story for not saying it all at once at all times, you want all the characters motivation, backstory and relationships too.

So yeah what they need is the story completely finished, or better just take a break from it... I like the manga but I can't enjoy the discussion

last edited at Mar 10, 2022 2:16PM

joined Nov 21, 2018

I'm trying to avoid spoilers but accidentally read some stuff already, so I might just avoid the comment section altogether. That said, I really do enjoy this manga and want to see where it goes as the focus shifts from school antics to more serious topics.

joined Apr 6, 2021

I'm so annoyed with this again. Couldn't keep the sarcasm out of my post

Hey, do you want me to spoil you the entire thing so you can be done with it?

Actually, I might as well as just tell you the brief gist of things so you don't waste any more time. Here goes:
After this, there's this overseas student that's a childhood friend of Claire and she can use all 4 elements. She's pretty much there to advance Rei's and Claire relationship to intimate.
After that, Claire goes to Rei's hometown, where she meets Rei's family and some shenanigans happen; Claire learns how the poor are suffering etc.
It turns out Prince Yuu was forced to become a man. So Rei concocts a plan that would turn him back to a woman and live in peace with Misa. The king was impressed by Rei, so he promotes Rei, Claire, and a girl named Lily as his personal investigators.
Their job is to snuff out corrupt nobles, where there's this one guy that's working with the empire, and his daughter is Lily. He inserted an alter ego inside her, and that's the masked figure in this chapter.
Eventually, the king dies, commoners revolt, and the guy with the empire sides with the rebels to bring them under the control of the empire. In the meantime, Claire turns herself in to the rebels out of guilt, and Rei has to rescue her.
Eventually, she does, Lily is back to normal, the guy working with the empire goes to jail, the country is reformed, and Rei and Claire get married and adopt a twin. One of them can use all 4 elements and the other becomes a master swordswoman.

Then there's a sequel, where Rei and Claire go to the empire as transfer students to basically destroy it from within. There's this warmongering empress and they have use her daughter to bring her down.
But it turns out that she was expanding her empire in order to amass a force against the demon queen. The demon queen is the real Rei, where it turns out that Rei and Claire were actually scientists in the past who created a loop system to save the dying population.
In short, the loop system allowed Rei to reincarnate countless times and romance Claire that many number of times, but eventually she got tired of it. Since the only thing she cares about is Claire, she couldn't accept this and decided to destroy the world.
Back in the present day, Rei, Claire, and now the empire all team up to fight this evil Rei, where there's this A.I. that had her administrative power taken by evil Rei and have to get it back.
Once they defeat evil Rei, the A.I. then turns on them and erases Claire from everyone's memory because the admin power was passed off to Claire.
So Rei has to go on a rescue mission for Claire again, and succeeds. Then happy ending.

Okay so I read the first part here and thought “okay that sounds cool, I guess the story is gonna be alright”

Then I read the second part and all I’ve gotta ask is “what kind of crack was the author on when they took things in that direction!? If that spoiler is true, then that sounds like one of the stupidest ways the story could go. I definitely ain’t sticking around to see this story shit itself into oblivion

last edited at Mar 11, 2022 12:46AM

Rae
joined Oct 7, 2021

Okay so I read the first part here and thought “okay that sounds cool, I guess the story is gonna be alright”

Then I read the second part and all I’ve gotta ask is “what kind of crack was the author on when they took things in that direction!? If that spoiler is true, then that sounds like one of the stupidest ways the story could go. I definitely ain’t sticking around to see this story shit itself into oblivion

Hear me out, it does sound really stupid on paper, but the execution is actually pretty well done. It was certainly surprising to suddenly jump into sci-fi territory, but Inori managed to pull it off in my opinion, and it made the story more memorable to me than most of the other fantasy isekai yuri stories IFtV and Please Bully Me, Miss Villainess! are two of my favorite isekai yuri stories, mostly because of how they create their own identity in the genre by trying new things. IFtV with the Revolution setting and story 2 twist, and PBMMV with the use of the "villainess system" that forces the MC to act villainous against her will (but which mostly ends up creating misunderstandings and really cute situations between her and the heroine)

last edited at Mar 11, 2022 2:08AM

Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

First off, the spoilers in here have gotten entirely out of hand.

That said, spoilers don't really do the story justice, because it plays out more like an epic RPG than an otome game, or most yuri beyond something like Simoun. If its not for you its not for you but there's a reason the WN/LN are as popular as they are.

Untitled
joined Aug 17, 2020

Damn, I went back to the comment sections to edit my comment here but nvm that. I didn't know these people have so much time in hand to write a whole thesis regarding Lambert and Lene's relationship. I suggest you all to read the LN, the author did her best to explain everything. Also, there wouldn't be a lot of cameo of them, just a brief story. Damn, the way you react to this made me think you won't be ready for the season 2 since it's taiyaki's favorite genre hahahahaha (though of course, ln readers knows better wink wink)

joined Feb 1, 2013

This whole comments section... I can't keep up with it. I used to like to check in on it, but it's turned into a beast all of its own, it's overwhelming. No offense to anyone, but I think I'm gonna have to restrict myself to just the manga for at least the foreseeable future. This is all going way over my head.

Irene_&_teresa
joined Jun 12, 2019

Lmao! The comment section exploded after the last chapter. When it comes to IFTV I feel like this site should have a dedicated section for those who read the LN so they can talk about spoilery stuff and a section for people who only the manga cuz, man! I read the LN so I can attest to how well executed the plot is, what with how it subverts expectations, especially for the isekai genre, but seeing how people are reacting, I've never seen a comment section so divided, lol. That being said, this is still my favorite yuri and I'm looking forward to comparing the manga adaption to the LN some more

last edited at Mar 19, 2022 5:04PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

IresaFan posted:

Lmao! The comment section exploded after the last chapter. When it comes to IFTV I feel like this site should have a dedicated section for those who read the LN so they can talk about spoilery stuff and a section for people who only the manga cuz, man! I read the LN so I can attest to how well executed the plot is, what with how it subverts expectations, especially for the isekai genre, but seeing how people are reacting, I've never seen a comment section so divided, lol. That being said, this is still my favorite yuri and I'm looking forward to comparing the manga adaption to the LN some more

People shouldn't be so quick to spoonfed people demanding spoilers specially if they're just mad and complaining (and specially not 3 paragraphs of it), but it happens with every single chapter like, I get it if you're curious but the novel is in this same site with it's own discussion too and more than anything, we don't need to desperately keep people from leaving like "Wait wait it's gonna get better! they gonna have _____ and then ____ and no don't misunderstand! this happened because____ _ ____ _" come on... if they can't keep up just let them be, their loss imo, they'll come back next chapter anyway and ask for more spoilers.

last edited at Mar 19, 2022 5:29PM

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

You know, the manga just looks really, really cool and is better adapted than I ever could have hoped for. It's breathing a lot of life into the world and secondary characters that the sparse writing of the web novel never did.

Dynasty
joined Mar 17, 2022

Somehow that's not how I imagined Salas when reading the LN, but it works.

This part is also feels so much sadder now that I can see the characters faces :(

To reply you must either login or sign up.